Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollow Man

Prediction for Saturday?

I reckon we'll show well enough early on, probably lead by four or five midway through the first half following a couple of points from Johnston, a couple from Martin Reilly and a left footed 14 metre free from Jason (who should keep his place for the next 12 months on the strength of that).

Cork will come back as McCabe starts to fade, doing his patented "swim run" on turning and beginning to give abuse to his teammates. Meanwhile, Mulvey will be sent off for being, well, just too damn tough, and will kick a Lucozade bottle on the way off just to hammer home the point. Walsh will then be brought in with more than likely Pierson (or whichever of the corner forwards hasn't got a pass yet) making way. After Cork get a couple more points on the board, Keogan will physically shit himself and take off whatever newcomer he started (come in Raymond Galligan/Ciaran Galligan/Declan Gaffney/Austin Fitzpatrick, your time is up) while frantically switching Martin Reilly back to mark the Cork fella who just scored the most recent point.

The Rebels will be level at half time and will rack up 1-4 in the first ten minutes of the second half. James Reilly will continue to belt every ball as far as he can and Walsh, not realising yet that Nicholas Murphy is too tall for him to stick his knees into the back of or to do something dirty with his digits, will fail to catch any ball with his fist (one of these days he will field one that way).

By the 45 minute mark, big Dermot is on the edge of the square and our one shining light Martin Reilly will have been switched to every position bar nets. The ref will move a free from the Cork 13 metre line back to the Cavan 13 metre line due to Forde's whinging.

Keogan will throw in Mackey in desperation, who will run around in circles and kick one ball 50 yards in the air from the 14 metre line.

We'll then introduce one of the stars of last year's Fr Manning Cup campaign, ("He's only 14 but he's class"), who will do so well in the first five minutes that he'll be captain by full time, taking the arm band as he's carried off on a stretcher holding his knee.

Peter Stringfellow will shrug his shoulders and scratch his head when interviewed after the game, wondering why his shouting "WORKRATE!" and having lots of money wasn't enought to see us take the points.

After that, it's back to the Imperial for a bit of grub and a piss up for most of the lads. We've a game the following week though, so NO SESSION TOMORROW LADS, says the gaffer. Actually, he'll text them that on his way to Coppers...

You heard it here first....

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hollow Man on March 27, 2008, 04:13:50 PM
Prediction for Saturday?

I reckon we'll show well enough early on, probably lead by four or five midway through the first half following a couple of points from Johnston, a couple from Martin Reilly and a left footed 14 metre free from Jason (who should keep his place for the next 12 months on the strength of that).

Cork will come back as McCabe starts to fade, doing his patented "swim run" on turning and beginning to give abuse to his teammates. Meanwhile, Mulvey will be sent off for being, well, just too damn tough, and will kick a Lucozade bottle on the way off just to hammer home the point. Walsh will then be brought in with more than likely Pierson (or whichever of the corner forwards hasn't got a pass yet) making way. After Cork get a couple more points on the board, Keogan will physically shit himself and take off whatever newcomer he started (come in Raymond Galligan/Ciaran Galligan/Declan Gaffney/Austin Fitzpatrick, your time is up) while frantically switching Martin Reilly back to mark the Cork fella who just scored the most recent point.

The Rebels will be level at half time and will rack up 1-4 in the first ten minutes of the second half. James Reilly will continue to belt every ball as far as he can and Walsh, not realising yet that Nicholas Murphy is too tall for him to stick his knees into the back of or to do something dirty with his digits, will fail to catch any ball with his fist (one of these days he will field one that way).

By the 45 minute mark, big Dermot is on the edge of the square and our one shining light Martin Reilly will have been switched to every position bar nets. The ref will move a free from the Cork 13 metre line back to the Cavan 13 metre line due to Forde's whinging.

Keogan will throw in Mackey in desperation, who will run around in circles and kick one ball 50 yards in the air from the 14 metre line.

We'll then introduce one of the stars of last year's Fr Manning Cup campaign, ("He's only 14 but he's class"), who will do so well in the first five minutes that he'll be captain by full time, taking the arm band as he's carried off on a stretcher holding his knee.

Peter Stringfellow will shrug his shoulders and scratch his head when interviewed after the game, wondering why his shouting "WORKRATE!" and having lots of money wasn't enought to see us take the points.

After that, it's back to the Imperial for a bit of grub and a piss up for most of the lads. We've a game the following week though, so NO SESSION TOMORROW LADS, says the gaffer. Actually, he'll text them that on his way to Coppers...

:D
Nice One - although worryingly it is a quite accurate picture of how the standard Cavan game pans out.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Hollow Man on March 27, 2008, 04:13:50 PM
Prediction for Saturday?

Swim run! Perfect description!

Homer

Celt_Man

nice post indeed Hollow man.... probably going to be another case of heroic failure on Saturday... unless the weird feeling I have isn't from a dodgy Chinese last night and might be a deep feeling Cavan may get something from this game on Saturday....

Anyway to the Club scene, perdictions for the weekend.... could be interesting to see how many casualties there will be as a result of the Cavan game on Saturday night

Division One

Belturbet v Mullahoran... Mullahorn to take points after slip up last week
Cuchullains v Gowna... going for Gowna in this one barring any injuries to McCabe or McKeever
Ballyhaise v Lavey.... very tough to call... going to say a draw there
Denn v Killygarry... Killygarry to win this one by point or two after recent disappointments
Lacken v Castlerahan... Lacken to continue impressive start by 2 or 3
Ballinagh v Cavan Gaels... Gaels to continue Ballinagh miserable if not unfortunate start with Johnstone for a change coming on in last 15 and winning the game barring injury
Drumalee v Crosserlough... another tough one but could see C'lough sneak it, a draw wouldn't be a shock either

Division Two

Shercock v Cavan Gaels. (Saturday fixture)... coz this is before the cavan game and more importantly the Gaels senior game on sunday, I fancy to win this one with Gaels missing their senior players
Knockbride v Ramor... a tight one both teams will be there abouts at the upper end of the table at years end... Larry to continues impressive form.. Knocks by a point
Drumgoon v Kingscourt. McCormacks free taking and Bates' inside knowledge of goonies to prove crucial... kingscourt by 3
Drung v Drumlane Drung no question going on Drumlane's form... they were hopeless last week
Cootehill Celtic v Killeshandra. Have to back ourselves for this one although it won't be easy against impressive leaguers outfit
Redhills v Bailieboro' Shamrocks. Redhills to pip this one at home
Ballymachugh v Killinkere. Killinkere to win by 3 as Clarke will eat up the space in Ballymachugh pitch

Division Three

Arva v Crosserlough (Sat) this being played a day before C'lough senior game is a factor, along with home advantage Arva by 4
Corlough v Cornafean Cornafean to jump back after last weeks defeat
Maghera v Butlersbridge. Bridge to continue good form
Swanlinbar v Shannon Gaels. West cavan derby... gonna vote for Swad by a two points
Munterconnacht v Kill Shamrocks. very tough one... Kill are going well with a serious effort being put in.. but Munterconnacht hard to break down at home - Draw
Kildallan v Mountnugent - Kildallan by 4
Laragh v Templeport - Laragh to bounce back after defeat to Kill last week

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

[/quote
Brilliant post Hollow Man,maybe thats the only way to deal with these depressing times in Cavan football,stand back and laugh.I kno I've gone thru every other emotion! >:( >:(
This is my 1st post back on in like a year and a half Id say.Ballyhaise Man mite remember me.
Anyway Hollow Man we obviously both share the same disgust at having Peter Stringfellow over our Senior team.Im seriously thinkin of startin a petition to get him out.Who cares if I cant get into Double Vision,Im barred half the time anyway!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

I reckon Mackey could start after the happenings of the last few weeks. Nicholas Murphy needs someone of his ilk to mark him and Mackey had plenty of practice against Ward in Navan. He's also got a few pints into him on Paddy's weekend and hopefully last week too. Hopefully he'll fun after one of those Garryowens, catch it and hit Keoghan as he goes for goal.

Seriously though lads, we're now getting onto the players as well as Keoghan. Maybe we need to boycott a few games if only for the sake of our mental health-have you not seen the ads. Then come May we'll be ready with all the fairweathers, we'll turn off the light before we leave and head for Belfast with unfounded hope and the Anglo-Celt will be ours. Now why doesn't this keyboard have a GIANT exclamation mark?

cavan4ever

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on March 28, 2008, 08:39:45 AM
I reckon Mackey could start after the happenings of the last few weeks. Nicholas Murphy needs someone of his ilk to mark him and Mackey had plenty of practice against Ward in Navan. He's also got a few pints into him on Paddy's weekend and hopefully last week too. Hopefully he'll fun after one of those Garryowens, catch it and hit Keoghan as he goes for goal.

Seriously though lads, we're now getting onto the players as well as Keoghan. Maybe we need to boycott a few games if only for the sake of our mental health-have you not seen the ads. Then come May we'll be ready with all the fairweathers, we'll turn off the light before we leave and head for Belfast with unfounded hope and the Anglo-Celt will be ours

Cavanfan

From the Hoganstand

Keogan rings the change
28 March 2008

Cavan boss Donal Keogan has made four changes to his team as the Breffni County go in search of their first NFL win against Cork at Kingspan Breffni Park on Saturday night.

From the side that lost to Meath a fortnight ago, out go Keith Fannin, Raymond Galligan, Micheal Lyng and Cian Mackey. They are replaced by John McCutcheon, John Cunningham, Ronan Flanagan and Eddie O'Reilly.

Cavan have lost all of their Division 2 games to date, and another defeat on Saturday would almost certainly consign them to Division 3 next season.

Cavan (SF v Cork): J Reilly; M Hannon, P Reilly, M Brides; J McCutcheon, A Forde, D Sheridan; D McCabe, J Cunningham; M Reilly, R Flanagan, M McKeever; E O'Reilly, S Johnston, G Pearson.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Ta' Cavan4Ever-I must get me one of those new computers. Just saw the team and not too disheartenend. I'd definitely have tweaked it a little with Sean Brady in for that amandán at full forward but maybe he's not fit. Lyng being dropped is a tough call but might do him no harm. Fanin is hard done by despite his crossfield pass to Geraghty in Navan but he's not a corner back never was never will be and should be given more opportunities at wing-back. He played the second half there against the Dubs and was our best player that day, or was it Monaghan. Anyway, what we'll be we'll be.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boojangles on March 28, 2008, 12:10:43 PM
Ah seriously,I dont like turning on or giving out about players but i really dont see what Keoghan sees in John Cunningham,he's not near the standard,I know we need big men but slow,cumbersome and lazy are definetley not key attributes of any Inter-County footballer.
I also dont know what his problem with Keith Fannin is,over the last 3 years he has consistently been our best back after Michael Hannon.Mayb he's injured,Im not sure,Im not as informed as I used to b.Its hard keepin interest in a team managed by a man that has never managed a club team.
I think Flanagan is one of our best talents just not sure about him filling a central role just yet.
Wont make the game,Il b watching 1 of the most eagerly awaited Merseyside Derbies in years in Anfield.
As sad as it sounds I kno wher Id rather be this wkend.
Cork to snatch a win by 3 or 4.

Things would want to get a lot worse than at the moment for me to miss a Cavan game to watch a bunch of f**king pussies diving around the field in England. I'd say keoghan is just making changes for the sake of it, to show he is taking no shit. Mad Eddie has had his chance and if that is the best he can come up with then we are in big trouble. Mackey disappearance as quick as his reappearance is no harm. Flanagan at Ctr forward - why? Played brilliantly at Ctr Back in his last game - how does he expect players to grow into these important roles. Forde won't cut it there anymore so he should be on the wing. And as for his abysmal f**king around with midfield. Young Galligan gave a decent account against Meath and got took of and then dropped to be replaced by a guy who he gave a similar cameo appearance to previously to be dropped. What the f**k is he at?

Just to summarise his stupidty, did any of you see last weeks celt? Reporter ask Keoghan if he has any intention of addressing the fact that Cavan haven't had a proper settled midfield partnership since the 60's. Keoghan says that he will bring back John Joe O Reilly - very funny except John Joe played Ctr Back. Then asked to explain why he took of Galligan when most observers thought he did well Keoghan says he'd rather keep that one to himself (translates as I haven't a f**king clue).

BallyhaiseMan

welcome back to the board Boojangles.  :)
Looking forward to our war in July?  ;D
in Dermot mc cabe and Cunningham, Has there ever been a less mobile midfield at Inter County Football,

not forgetting both give about 3 inches of height to Nicholas Murphy aswell.

im abit suprised Darren Rabbite isnt in the reckoning as hes very fit looking.

Dont have a problem with Ronan Flanagan at centre forward, because while i think Michael Lyng is a great player, he just wasnt getting it done like we need from a CHF.He showed glimpses of that flair and passing ability but only glimpses.

Celt_Man

can't believe this.... From rte.ie

Cavan host Cork at Breffni Park knowing that anything less than a win over the Rebels will almost certainly condemn the hosts to Division 3 football next year.

The Ulster side's glaring deficiency has been their inability to hold on to leads in three of their four games to date.

It was only in the clash with neighbours Monaghan that Donal Keoghan's men showed no signs of taking two points, and the Breffni side's full-forward Seanie Johnston has admitted that Saturday's clash is 'do-or-die'.

Cork have been fortunate to have an away tie with Roscommon and a home game against Westmeath to bed them in to their late start to the campaign.

However, the time they lost as a result of the players' strike is likely to catch up on them before the league is out, and a Cavan side desperate to avoid relegation might just have too much of an edge for them.

The Rebels are in limbo - in that they are unlikely to be relegated but have little chance of promotion - and the distraction of upcoming games with Monaghan and Armagh may also be a factor.

Verdict: Cavan
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

in fairness Celt Man

This is a winnable game, Cork are never that good away from home in the League,
Cork beat a Roscommon team away that was walloped by 25 points against Armagh and a poor Westmeath team by their standards at home.

we would have or at least we should be far fitter than them aswell,Christ we have nearly 2 months training more done than them.

i believe they dont have their Nemo Rangers contingent starting either,

we will never have a better chance to beat Cork than tommorow.

Cavanfan

Things would want to get a lot worse than at the moment for me to miss a Cavan game to watch a bunch of f**king pussies diving around the field in England. I'd say keoghan is just making changes for the sake of it, to show he is taking no shit. Mad Eddie has had his chance and if that is the best he can come up with then we are in big trouble. Mackey disappearance as quick as his reappearance is no harm. Flanagan at Ctr forward - why? Played brilliantly at Ctr Back in his last game - how does he expect players to grow into these important roles. Forde won't cut it there anymore so he should be on the wing. And as for his abysmal f**king around with midfield. Young Galligan gave a decent account against Meath and got took of and then dropped to be replaced by a guy who he gave a similar cameo appearance to previously to be dropped. What the f**k is he at?

Just to summarise his stupidty, did any of you see last weeks celt? Reporter ask Keoghan if he has any intention of addressing the fact that Cavan haven't had a proper settled midfield partnership since the 60's. Keoghan says that he will bring back John Joe O Reilly - very funny except John Joe played Ctr Back. Then asked to explain why he took of Galligan when most observers thought he did well Keoghan says he'd rather keep that one to himself (translates as I haven't a f**king clue).
[/quote]

Aw this got me lauging. Excellent synopsis.

I'm not sure about changing Flanagan from CHB to CHF and I think it was tough on Lyng don't think he deserved to be dropped. Can't show much flair if your not getting the ball and when your told your job is to stay on the CHF line. Was the same with Martin Reilly in the Meath game he didn't see much of the ball in the 2nd half.  I also think Galligan should be given another opportunity at midfield he wasn't bad two weeks ago.