Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

From the Tyrone Board seems like a typical Cavan performance

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on March 19, 2008, 10:03:41 PM
Heard Tyrone under 21's won by a goal tonight in the championship played at Omagh.  Anyone actually present at the game to give us a run down on the proceedings??

Good first (1-6) and last (1-2) 10 minutes with a terrible 40 (0-2) in between. Johnny Lafferty got a well worked goal in the first half and Colm Cavanagh got a fairly soft (from a defensive viewpoint) fisted goal which won the game for Tyrone - left it 2-8 to 1-10 when Cavan where totally on top. Danny McBride of Strabane got sent off for a second yellow. Sean O'Neill of Dromore would have been my MOTM, followed by Niall McGinn of Eskra. Colm Cavanagh had an outstanding last 10 minutes after being virtually anonymous for the preceding 50. Midfield was cleaned out during the terrible 40 minutes, but excelled during the good bits. To keep Ziggy happy Danny McDermott replaced Niall Kerr about 10 minutes into the second half, but didn't really get into the game.

Cavan will be gutted to have lost this and have every right to be.

Tyrone v Down next week, presumably at Casement.

mylestheslasher

What a shock. Keoghans Cavan play well for long periods and lose in the last 10 minutes (a period in which they had an extra man). I am sure Donal worked on what to do with an extra man in training with the lads... Oh wait, didn't he tell  them to train with their colleges? I think we need him gone right now. Maybe then we could at least get a new man in with a chance to at least motivate the players for the championship. Leaving him there till the end of the season brings nothing to Cavan football except more disgrace.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 20, 2008, 10:10:30 AM
What a shock. Keoghans Cavan play well for long periods and lose in the last 10 minutes (a period in which they had an extra man). I am sure Donal worked on what to do with an extra man in training with the lads... Oh wait, didn't he tell  them to train with their colleges? I think we need him gone right now. Maybe then we could at least get a new man in with a chance to at least motivate the players for the championship. Leaving him there till the end of the season brings nothing to Cavan football except more disgrace.

Im afraid that won't happen so as said before all we can do is write off this year and hope for a decent setup next year.  Its the least the players and supporters deserve.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 20, 2008, 09:21:47 AM
From the Tyrone Board seems like a typical Cavan performance

Good first (1-6) and last (1-2) 10 minutes with a terrible 40 (0-2) in between. Johnny Lafferty got a well worked goal in the first half and Colm Cavanagh got a fairly soft (from a defensive viewpoint) fisted goal which won the game for Tyrone - left it 2-8 to 1-10 when Cavan where totally on top. Danny McBride of Strabane got sent off for a second yellow. Sean O'Neill of Dromore would have been my MOTM, followed by Niall McGinn of Eskra. Colm Cavanagh had an outstanding last 10 minutes after being virtually anonymous for the preceding 50. Midfield was cleaned out during the terrible 40 minutes, but excelled during the good bits. To keep Ziggy happy Danny McDermott replaced Niall Kerr about 10 minutes into the second half, but didn't really get into the game.

Cavan will be gutted to have lost this and have every right to be.

Am trying very, very hard not to run and hurl myself in front of a f**king bus. There goes the best set of underage players the county has ever had, mismanaged at minor and U21 by a buffoon with the county board's blessing, and with nothing to show for their efforts apart from the usual bullshit soon to appear in the Celt about how 'unlucky' they were and 'agonisingly close to a breakthrough.'

It makes my f**king blood boil. How many more tales of woe and underachievement must there be before someone gets a handle on the situation and addresses the fact that our teams are being beaten for the lack of something upstairs between their ears and not necessarily what's missing downstairs in their feet?

Once again we play really well and an usual, once the teams with a big reputation come at us late on we don't have the gumption or true belief to stand firm and see the f**king thing home, like they'd be able to do against us if the roles were reversed. You could have scripted this horror story last month, yet another Cavan team buckles at the knees with yet another winning post in sight against yet another big name team simply because deep down, they always expect to lose.

Anyway, I've a bus to catch, I'm outta here.

Celt_Man

Moving on from the depression that is the county set up at the weekend.... any opinions on the league games this weekend? For the record I could see the games panning out as follows...

Division One
Cavan Gaels v Ballyhaise. Gaels by 4 or 5, wouldn't be surprised if they struggled thru this one
Crosserlough v Lacken think lacken might catch C'lough on d hop in this one if Finbarr isn't injured from Meath game
Mullahoran v Cuchullains home win for the Dreadnoughts
Lavey v Denn Possibly lavey but a draw wouldn't shock me in this derby
Killygarry v Drumalee another derby but can see Martin Reilly being the difference here
Castlerahan v Belturbet.  This one all depends on wheither Brady, Flanagan and Mackey lined out for Castlerahan if not they will struggle and Belturbet could sneek it.
Gowna v Ballinagh game in Ballinagh, another tough one to call... gonna go for a draw in this one

Division Two

Bailieboro' Shamrocks v Ballymachugh. Shamrocks by 3/4 points
Drumlane v Cootehill. Celtics win by 2 or 3
Kingscourt v Drung. Kingscourt to struggle but win by 2 or 3
Killinkere v Knockbride. Lawrence will be the difference Knocks by 5
Ramor Utd. v Shercock. Ramor by 5
Killeshandra Leaguers v Redhills -  very tight one to call... two good young footballing teams but Leaguers to make home advantage count, home win by a point or two
Cavan Gaels v Drumgoon. Gaels first team playing the day before is a factor and could see them sneaking a surprise win here after a good showing the last day against Ramor

Division Three (I confess don't know a great deal about some of these teams)

Shannon Gaels v Kildallan. another derby, maybe home advantage might count for something??? Gaels win
Butlersbridge v Arva. Bridge win
Cornafean v Munterconnacht kind of a mystery here but can't ever remember an easy away game against Cornafean so gonna give them the shout
Kill v Laragh Utd. Laragh win, Kill aren't a great side and Laragh will be looking for promotion this year
Templeport v Maghera. Templeport to avenge the playoff defeat from last year
Crosserlough v Swanlinbar - Swad should have too much for C'lough seconds
Mountnugent v Corlough - Another mystery to be honest, so I'll go for home win???

These are only my opinions and I trust we can be a bit more civilised here unlike posters on Hoganstand if anyone disagrees....
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

DirtyDozen12

Here Cavan lads, report on the under 21 match the other night.  Was talking to a few people who where at it and apparently Tyrone where very lucky, Cavan probably should have won the game from what i heard:

QuoteTyrone made it through to the Ulster semi final but they were made to fight hard for their win against Cavan at Healy Park last night in an entertaining encounter.

It was honours even at halftime 1-6 apiece although Tyrone will feel they should have been ahead as they kicked seven wides to their opponents none. Tyrone started brightly with Aidan Cassidy and Shane O'Hagan on top in midfield and points from Gareth Devlin and Cathal McCarron were followed by a brilliant goal from full forward Johnny Lafferty in the seventh minute.

Cavan though responded two minutes later when Paddy Brady placed Enda Gaffney for a neat finish low to the bottom left hand corner of the net. Two McCarron frees was followed by a fine effort from O'Hagan as Tyrone forged three ahead again but a brace of frees from Raymond Galligan kept the Breffini men in touch before efforts from Brady and Eugene Keating drew them level at the short whistle.

In the second half Cavan forged two points ahead with Galligan proving unerring from placed balls and things didn't look good for the hosts when full back Danny McBride was sent off for a second yellow card offence. With six minutes to go Tyrone senior star Colm Cavanagh got on the end of a Lafferty free to palm to the net before the same player added a gem with his left. Substitute Conor O'Donnell then put Tyrone further ahead as the Cavan challenge faded.

Tyrone – G Kelly, N McGinn, D McBride, C McGinley, N Kerr, S O'Neill [0-1],  H Gallagher, A Cassidy, S O'Hagan [0-1], G Devlin [0-1], C Cavanagh [1-2], J McAnulla, R McRory [0-1], J Lafferty [1-1], C McCarron [0-2]. D McDermott for Kerr, C O'Donnell [0-1] for Devlin

Cavan – S Delaney, N O'Reilly, R Dunne, S McCormack, F Jordan, D O'Dowd, D Graham, R Galligan [0-6], J McEnroe, B Watters, P Brady [0-1], M Reilly [0-1], E Keating [0-1], C Smith, E Gaffney [1-1]. Subs – C Mackey for Graham
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

BallyhaiseMan

Gaels beat us 1-08 to 0-07 on Saturday, poor game,
Fairly evenly matched,
They brought Johnstone on with 15 minutes left,
he scored 4 points, a class act,
we just didnt produce what we are capeable of either though.

Also Darren Rabbitte was playing for the Gaels,He was very good,looked very fit.

Davitt Man

Shannon Gaes v Kildallon

any report on the Shannon Gaels v Kildallon game?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Davitt Man on March 25, 2008, 11:18:57 AM
Shannon Gaes v Kildallon

any report on the Shannon Gaels v Kildallon game?

Shannon Gaels 1-06, Kildallon 1-07. I don't think there are any posters from Ballyconnel on the forum so your best bet for a report would be www.hoganstand.com/cavan (if you can bear wading through all the shite comments to find it). Decent win on paper anyway as Shannon Gaels are one of the better junior league teams.

Hollow Man

shotstopper1

w/e results from aertel

Div 1

Crosserlough    0-9   Lacken  2-7
Cavan Gaels    1-8   Ballyhaise 0-7
Mullahoran        0-8  Cuchullains  1-7
Lavey        1-5  Denn       0-8
Killygarry        0-8  Drumalee  1-8
Castlerahan        P     Belturbet   
Gowna        1-8  Ballinagh   1-7

Div 2

Bailieboro   1-10     Ballymachugh   1-6
Drumlane   0-5      Cootehill         2-9
Kingscourt   0-14     Drung   1-11
Ramor Utd  2-20    Shercock   2-6
Killeshandra 0-9      Redhills   0-6
Killinkere   0-7      Knockbride   0-7
Cavan Gaels 4-8     Drumgoon   1-6

Div 3

Shannon Gaels 1-6   Kildallan 1-7
Bultersbridge   1-13  Arva    1-5
Cornafean       0-9   Muntirconnacht   3-5
Kill       0-12  Laragh Utd.   1-8
Templeport       0-7   Maghera   1-4
Crosserlough   2-8   Swanlinbar   0-9
Mountnugent  1-7   Corlough   2-8

BallyhaiseMan

i believe Shannon Gaels are missing their Talisman Eamon Reily who is gone to London?????

if so they would be a good bit weaker than usual.

Good talent in that Killdalon club with the likes of Ronan Reily and Aaron Duignan anyway.

Laragh United have fairly slipped over the last 15/20 years, from winning senior championships to Division 3  :o

Mr. Pain

The league is starting to gain momentum now. It's good to see it being played every weekend but im sure there will be a big gap somewhere. Great starts for Cuchullains, Lacken and the Gaels. Killygarry are already in trouble with Lavey close behind. It is early days though but vital times also. If Lacken can beat Castlerahan at home next weekend they may stay up. Laragh Utd should be bitterly disappointed to be beaten by Kill. It was also shocking to see Drumgoon beaten by Gaels2. It is all happening now and very interesting following. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

BallyhaiseMan

Drumgoon are in disarray,

how can a team with

Eddie Jackson
Michael and Colm Hannon
Keith Fannin
Michael McDonald
Jim McNally

be losing to a second string outfit like the Gaels B Team.

we have Lavey and Killygarry the next two weekends,
even at this stage for them, they are must win games,
2 wins out of them and i think even at this stage we would be safe.

Joe O Connor has had a good start with Lacken, they will be tough to beat this year for anyone.

Mr. Pain

Indeed. Cuchullains will be hard beat this year. They have not got a bad team and i can see them challenging for league honours. Ballinagh are not doing so well yet but i suppose they were playing two supposed big guns. It might bring them down a peg or two. Ballyhaise will do ok too i think. Crosserlough will regain composure and have a good league. They have some good players. Drumalee will struggle. Killeshandra to finish near top of Div 2 but miss out on promotion. Ramor to regain Div 1 status. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.