Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4sam

I can understand peoples frustration at losing such a big lead but for me, at least, it was obvious that Meath were goin to get back into the game second half. The wind was a major factor in this, but the reason i thought that Meath were going to comeback strong was the fact that they had a lot of possession in Cavans half in the first half against the strong wind, and perhaps could have had 2 goals, especially the chance gifted to Geraghty where Fannin passed straight to him but he opted to take a point. We won very little at midfield, by this i mean clean ball fielded by the midfielders. We need physically bigger men to compete with these strong teams. Meath were man for man larger than their opposite number on the Cavan team.

Cavanfan

I completely agree that we lost the game at midfield. I think we made one clean catch in the first half and it was Raymond Galligan who caught it. The wind was unbelievable and it was a contributing factor to how each team played in each half.

cavan4sam

We caught 2, Mckeever in the second half ran across the field to collect 1. the only 2 balls we got at midfield were uncontested. The 1 Galligan got was the first kickout of the game and every1 was caught out by the wind, after that Meath were on top.

Lawrence of Knockbride

2.5 days of a cooling down period has now finished and Lawrence is still bubbling. Anyone that was at the match will note that midfield was indeed the determining factor but let's go through it with a fine comb to try and get inside the head of the jester that is Mr. Keoghan. His attempts to give every midfielder in the county a chance (albeit less than half an hour) continued with a starting place for young Galligan from Lacken. He started well, fielding a hanging ball, offloading to McCabe who used the wind superbly. For the rest of his time he competed and neither won nor lost his personal battle to any great extent. Considering he was on the giant Ward this has to be commendable. But our Leader saw differently and called him ashore before half-time. Even at that you could say fair enough but the change consisted of Finbar coming on at wing-forward with McKeever going in to "mark" Ward at approx 7 inches smaller.
So when the inevitable wind-assisted comeback from the other shower started, Keoghan oversaw our keeper drive kickout after kickout to a midfield sector hopelessly being overrun. How many times does the ball have to go straight back down and over our bar before this clown might try something, anything, different to change the flow? Oh lest I forget he did try something. He brought the kid from The Incredibles in from the wing to add a little weight to the centre. Laughable if I wasn't so f**king wet. Seriously this is basic stuff and either he changes the midfield pairing or he tells Miller to kick the f**king ball somewhere else.
Talking of Mr. Mackey, what rock has he crawled out from under? I thought we'd seen the last of him and his one effort on goal with his left foot travelled about 20 metres in the air and about 10 towards their keepers chest.

All the rumours have started now. Flanagan being injured and out of U-21 game due to Keoghan starting him against the Dubs against the players wishes. Mackey now dropped from both panels for drinking offences. And finally, but at the top of the list if any truth can be attached to it, a lock-in in the imperial after the game on Saturday night with most of the players involved. Rumours is all they are but this is is the stuff of Albert Square and such and I'm not in the mood for laughing.

cavanmaniac

Please see signature. That will be all. Thank you.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on March 18, 2008, 01:47:42 PM

All the rumours have started now. Flanagan being injured and out of U-21 game due to Keoghan starting him against the Dubs against the players wishes. Mackey now dropped from both panels for drinking offences. And finally, but at the top of the list if any truth can be attached to it, a lock-in in the imperial after the game on Saturday night with most of the players involved. Rumours is all they are but this is is the stuff of Albert Square and such and I'm not in the mood for laughing.

Thats seem to go on after every game there wouldn't be another county in the country at it.  Also heard that Walsh was brought back in without the knowledge of the selectors and the first they knew about it was when they seen him in dressing room.   I fell that there is a decent enough team there if they had some leadership along the line and all this crap of drinking at weekends stopped.  This year is a loss now anyway and all we can hope for is a decent management team next year but a good manger won't get the full support of the players because they won't want to give up the drink.

cavan4sam

Has anyone any inside info on the startin team for tonight in the u21 match?

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavan4sam on March 19, 2008, 11:29:15 AM
Has anyone any inside info on the startin team for tonight in the u21 match?

From a poster on Hoganstand

1) simon delaney
2)sean mccormak
3)rory dunne
4)niall o reilly
5)finbarr jordan
6)dane o dowd
7)daniel graham
8)raymond galligan
9)james mcenroe
10)barry watters
11)paddy brady
12)martin reilly
13)enda gaffney
14)coner smith
15)eugene keating

Hollow Man

Flanagan is a massive loss.

I'd say Keating will come out round midfield.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: cavan4ever on March 19, 2008, 08:13:33 AM
I fell that there is a decent enough team there if they had some leadership along the line and all this crap of drinking at weekends stopped.  This year is a loss now anyway and all we can hope for is a decent management team next year but a good manger won't get the full support of the players because they won't want to give up the drink.

Correct. A while ago I proposed a new manager, a disbanded panel and only those players committing to a code of conduct and excellence to be allowed back in.

If that means we have 30 junior footballers/U21s representing Cavan for the next three years and results go backwards (even more backwards that is) then so be it, we'd ironically be in a stronger position at the end of it to have laid down a marker and put a correct, healthy structure in place. And I'm assuming there's quite a few decent skins on the current panel would sign up as well so I'm just offering the nuclear option with the juniors/U21s thing.
We're moving deckchairs on the Titanic for years now only worrying about the short term and carrying guys who want the attention of being a county footballer but not the responsibility that goes with it unfortunately.

mylestheslasher

Well in defence of the majority of the players, and as a former player myself. If you are on a panel and are expected  to make huge sacrifices then it is reasonable to expect that things will be done right and fair. If on the other hand you have a set-up where the manager is an idiot, has no tactics at all, no man management skills, subs new players 15 minutes in etc - then in this instance it is clear to players and supporters alike that the team is going nowhere. Now if a player was to take that opinion, maybe it isn't such a big jump to saying "whats the point in me making all these sacrifices for this?" In summary, if the thing was going well this behaviour would be imited to a couple of muppets that should be kicked of the panel. In a situation where the set up is fast becoming a total farce then all standards start to drop elsewhere. It is only a shame that Keoghan the clown is over the U21's too

cavanmaniac

Yes that's a very reasonable point too Myles, I/we do always tend to blame the players and who's to say that maybe Mattie Kerrigan, McElkennon and so on weren't exactly the types to inspire great devotion or commitment in a body of young men like McHugh and Coleman did. Keogan doesn't bear mentioning but the county board are very culpable as well and, as supposed custodians of the game in our county and as those charged with helping the county team be the best it can be, they've proven to be abject failures also.

There is a responsibility on both sides of the white line, you're right, but that said there definitely have been some guys swinging the lead in the last decade and at some point, a stop dead and reassess approach has to be taken so a totally fresh start can be made with a manager who knows what he's doing and can therefore leave any errant players with nowhere to hide. We missed the last opportunity to do this when McElkennon stepped down, surely we can't make the same mistake again when Keogie Bear packs up his picnic basket and goes, as hopefully he will come June?

We can all see there are players good enough in Cavan to have us ranked among the second tier of teams outside of the leading Sam contenders every year. McHugh proved we can belong there and perhaps beyond but only if everyone is on board - players, county board - and if the right manager is there at the helm with the knowledge and ability steering it along.

Celt_Man

Keogan strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't know his own limitations (after all he feckin applied for this job) and I doubt he would resign at the end of this season... so that leaves us hoping that the county board to push him out the door.... I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavan4ever

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 19, 2008, 02:46:14 PM
Keogan strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't know his own limitations (after all he feckin applied for this job) and I doubt he would resign at the end of this season... so that leaves us hoping that the county board to push him out the door.... I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one

One of the problems is that if a club needs a few bob for something and approach him he is generous enough and will normally throw a few Euro's there way. This is why clubs may not want to upset him. 

mylestheslasher

I just heard that Mackey is gone from the panel. Apparently Keoghan organised the lock in for the boys on Saturday night (I suppose it is his venue so who else would organise it). Mackey went on the piss on Sunday again and was dropped from the panel when Keoghan found out?? I don't know any more than that but does that mean Keoghan allowed U21's with an Ulster championship match in 3 days, to go on an all night bender in his pub and sanctioned by himself. That is a sackable offence in my book and if the members of the county board have any f**king balls that is exactly what they will do right now! The end of  the season is not good enough after this.