Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Best odds I can see are 2-1 with ladbrokes. 15-8 with paddypower. Maybe you already put the house on it Lawrence. ;)

Lawrence of Knockbride

Boylesports my good man but you could be right about the house.

Mr. Pain

Hey Hollow Man that's quite the spiel. Mr. Pain agrees with ya though.
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

cavan4sam

I don't know if anyone has replied to you yet cavanmaniac but to answer your question, Keogan is over the u21s.

cavanmaniac

Ah right. By which I mean: Ah bollocks.

Jasus. ::)

anglocelt39

Just to get your weekend off to a good start Maniac and set your mind at rest regarding our Under 21's here is a little snippet from HOganstand:

county u21's
im not sure what the story is with cork and that whole story but i know hes studyin law in trinity. anyway i believe keogan doesnt care bout the u21s, they weren't even traaining 2gether there for a long time, he told them t train wit there colleges. id say keogan is feelin the pressure of da seniors and doesnt have the time for them.should be different management anyway.
your ma , cavan Ireland , 13/03/2008 at 16:35

Now I know you have to take some of what you read on the Net with a pinch of salt but this is depressing, underage and senior, and that's the leftovers of your team that gave Down a run for their money at minor level a few years ago. I'm outta here
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

Ah bollocks. By which I mean: Oh for fucks sake.

Wake me up when it's 2009.

Celt_Man

Another close game, another defeat... gettin very worried about the mindset of this group of players - always coming out on the wrong side of close games... Down in the mckenna cup, armagh, dublin and meath this evening... self belief should be instilled in the players from the management from the start and that clearly isn't happening.  Looking at the second half, we were completely devoid of any tactics regardless of the strength of the wind and, much in the same way when Dublin got their goal, when Meath went ahead we looked like we were well and truely beaten, heads dropped and you could see that most of the players couldn't see a way back... very few leaders out there at all, no one took charge in the final 5 minutes and decided to take some responsibiliity with the ball so we were left with a mini game of "hand pass 5 yards to a man beside you" all the while Meath were getting men behind the ball.
Some positives from the game definitely, some lovely points scored by jelly, McCabe, Pierson and Martin Reilly in the first half, Ray Galligan had a good game - depsite marking Mark Ward who must be 6 or 7 inches taller than him - until he was taken off out of the blue.
Reilly's kickouts are killing us, this craic of kicking the ball out as far as I can can't go on... we aren't able to win enough possession off them and did he have to ba told to keep the ball away from Ward as much as he could???
Any word on injuries to Fannin and Hannon
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

anglocelt39

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 16, 2008, 12:19:27 AM
Another close game, another defeat... gettin very worried about the mindset of this group of players - always coming out on the wrong side of close games... Down in the mckenna cup, armagh, dublin and meath this evening... self belief should be instilled in the players from the management from the start and that clearly isn't happening.  Looking at the second half, we were completely devoid of any tactics regardless of the strength of the wind and, much in the same way when Dublin got their goal, when Meath went ahead we looked like we were well and truely beaten, heads dropped and you could see that most of the players couldn't see a way back... very few leaders out there at all, no one took charge in the final 5 minutes and decided to take some responsibiliity with the ball so we were left with a mini game of "hand pass 5 yards to a man beside you" all the while Meath were getting men behind the ball.
Some positives from the game definitely, some lovely points scored by jelly, McCabe, Pierson and Martin Reilly in the first half, Ray Galligan had a good game - depsite marking Mark Ward who must be 6 or 7 inches taller than him - until he was taken off out of the blue.
Reilly's kickouts are killing us, this craic of kicking the ball out as far as I can can't go on... we aren't able to win enough possession off them and did he have to ba told to keep the ball away from Ward as much as he could???
Any word on injuries to Fannin and Hannon

DON'T DO IT MANIAC DON'T DO IT PLEASE, no not your weekly essay on how it's all down to lack of self belief due to lack of success at underage level/soft underbellies at senior level/teams knowing they can roll us when things get tight/the effect of the limestone in the soil down Tunnyduff way on John Tierneys left leg etc. etc. etc. I just can't take it any more, paricularly seeing as you're right on all counts.

Same oul story tonight from what I could gather from the podge and rodge show on Northern Sound. Ran through the Rials in the first half. Bit of a ballocking for the neighbours in the sheds at half time, they come out, up the intensity, throw in a few shoulders and the rest is history.

A few positives, based on last years championship we are probably in the most competitive division, and at least are competing with the likes of Dublin, Armagh and Meath. Secondly, we have plenty of good, talented footballers who could get better as the pitches get harder. Now for the bad bits.

1. the total lack of physical power among our team has long gone beyond a joke, we were bulled out of it again tonight. Now McHugh was able to get to an All Ireland Semi using three or four lads that weren't necessarily outstanding in their own right but could do a specific job. We MUST have at least four blokes on the park at any given time that can successfully mix it and/or do the dirty work of winning ball, taking and giving a few shoulders whatever. They may not be among the best 15 footballers in the county but there are enough nice lads on the team to blend in-options that I can see at the moment and they are by no means perfect but can be worked on-Gaynor, Walsh, Johnny Crowe, Cunningham (Swad), Alan Clark, Duffy (Gaels), McCutcheon,  there may be others. I think Dermot Sheridan is at least a step in the right direction there.

2. The belief bit is the other part, our man Maniac has done this to death, again, and again..................it comes down to whether Donal is the man to instill that belief in a group of reasonably talented players
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

Quote from: anglocelt39 on March 16, 2008, 11:46:20 AM
DON'T DO IT MANIAC DON'T DO IT PLEASE, no not your weekly essay on how it's all down to lack of self belief due to lack of success at underage level/soft underbellies at senior level/teams knowing they can roll us when things get tight/the effect of the limestone in the soil down Tunnyduff way on John Tierneys left leg etc. etc. etc. I just can't take it any more, paricularly seeing as you're right on all counts.

2. The belief bit is the other part, our man Maniac has done this to death, again, and again..................it comes down to whether Donal is the man to instill that belief in a group of reasonably talented players

;D ;D

I know, I know! But don't worry, I can't even be arsed any more. Keogan has taken away my enthusiasm, my interest, and now, worst of all, my bar stool psychology. Yes, that's how deep this runs :o

BallyhaiseMan

i didnt go last night as i was up in Dublin studying ,first league game i missed this year.

when i turned on Northern sound and heard we were 11-4 up, i nearly had a Heart attack.

but was disgusted when i heard we lost 15-13.

what we have is a group of very good young players in

Michael Hannon
Padraig Reily
Michael Lyng
Martin Reily
Ronan Flanagan
Mark McKeever
Ray Cullivan
Sean Brady
Seanie Johnston

most of these lads would get on any team in Ulster
what we dont have though is the pure physical presence to deal with the likes of Meath,
It why Trevor Crowe is so popular on here,not the greatest footballer in the world,dont get me wrong he is good though,
But had a bit of size and brute strength about him.
Raymond Galligan the Lacken under 21 played well i heard but he was hopelessly outgunned by a man of 6'6 Mark Ward,You cannot hope to win a duel at Centrefield against a man 4/5 inches bigger than you. Galligan isnt small either he would be 6'1 maybe 6'2
The need for someone 6'3 plus to contend with players like Ward such as Paddy Brady,Sean Maguire,Ciaran Galligan, Declan Gaffney is obvious.
I believe with the introduction of a few players with size and strength,
we arent THAT far off the likes of Meath and Dublin.

Mhic Easmuint

Full details and you your ticket online at: http://antrim.gaa.ie/saffron-sweep-2008/

Feel free to ask questions on the main thread.

Mhic Easmuint

Full details and you your ticket online at: http://antrim.gaa.ie/saffron-sweep-2008/

Feel free to ask questions on the main thread.

mylestheslasher

Didn't make the game but some of my mates went down and basically the feeling I get is that Meath went in at half time, changed their tactics a bit and totally wiped us out in the second half. Does our manager need an hour to come up with something to counter these tactics? It would appear so. 2 points in the 2nd half again is absolutely pathetic. Now we need to win our last 3 games and that will probably still not be enough to save us. All last years hard work in the league is gone to waste and I tell you we will struggle big time to get out of Div 3. Write of this season, get rid of that muppet Keoghan and start from scratch next year.

Any word on the U21 team for tomorrow night, Anyone going to it?

Cavanfan

Was at the game on Saturday night and what I don't get is that we were winning in the first half well and come 2nd half Keoghan changed what was going right. From what I could gather Lyng and Reilly in the first half were allowed to roam quite freely and won some good ball with Reilly scoring and Lyng setting up a few. Then in the 2nd half it all changed. It seemed to me that they were told to stay in closer to the goals and it made it look like there were no forwards available for the ball. IMO they contributed to the midfield area in the first half. Thought McCabes point from play was excellent and it was great to see more forwards getting on the scoreboard. Johnston played well but he lacked getting ball in the 2nd half. More positives in the game were the performances of the players in the 1st half. It showed that we do have the talent in this county so what is the problem? It's just a pity that after such a good first half a lead like that was let slip. Anyway thats all I have to say.