BallyhaiseMan

also good article from Paul Fitzpatrick,
im guessing him being from Redhills,

He was/is the Bottom Brick on here  ;)

BallyhaiseMan

From Hoganstand
McCabe plays in SF challenge
28 February 2008

Fermanagh senior footballers had a much needed outing on Saturday evening, 23rd of February in Kingspan/Breffni park, Cavan when they defeated the home side in a lively challenge game on a scoreline of 1-13 to 1-8.

The Fermanagh management were delighted with the match practice ahead of their NFL clash with Longford in Pearse Park, Longford next Sunday, 2nd of March. They started the first-half in determined fashion and were good value for their 0-12 to 1-3 lead at the interval. Cavan came more into the game in the second-half, and really put the visitors under some pressure, but never looked like catching a confident Fermanagh side in the end.

For the Cavan management ahead of this Saturday night's NFL Division 2 clash with Dublin there were a number of positives to take from the game. Dermot McCabe started the game along with Sean Brady, Michael Lyng and team-captain Mark McKeever and all four players will be the better for this outing.

Both managements made changes in personnel at the start of the second-half and this seemed to suit the home side. They came more into the game, and with the wind at their backs put the Erne sides defence under greater pressure. However, the Fermanagh side never lost their composure, and when Matthew Keenan scored an opportunist goal at the end of the third quarter, after a show by Mark Murphy was parried by the Cavan keeper they held out for a deserved five points win in the end.

This was a good work-out for both sides with key games this coming week-end against Dublin and Longford respectively. In defence for the Fermanagh side Damien Kelly and Shane McDermott were outstanding in defence. James Sherry and Marty McGrath were to the fore in the midfield sector, while up front Mark Little caused the Breffni defence some problems, while Liam McBarron at full-forward played the 'target-man' role very well.

Those who impressed for Cavan included Rory Dunne at full-back and in the half-back line, John Cunningham and John McCutcheon, while Anthony Forde looked sharp in attack which included Seanie Johnston, Dermot McCabe and Sean Brady.

Cavan - James Carolan (Lavey); Michael Hannon, Rory Dunne (Redhills), Michael Brides; Dermot Sheridan, John Cunningham, John McCutcheon; Raymond Galligan (Lacken), Mark McKeever; Martin Reilly, Micheal Lyng, Anthony Forde; Seanie Johnston, Dermot McCabe, Sean Brady (Castlerahan).

Fermanagh - Ronan Gallagher; Paul Johnston, Paddy Mohan, Niall Leonard; Damien Kelly, Shane McDermott, Raymond Johnston; James Sherry, Martin McGrath; Mark Murphy, Ciaran McElroy, Mark Little; Pat Cadden, Liam McBarron, Eamon Maguire.

shotstopper1

QuoteHes underacheived with Ballinagh,as they shouldnt have been in Intermediate football this year.

Senior League(beat both Gowna and Gaels on the way) ,Intermediate title(beaten finalists in 2006),an Ulster title and an u21,a junior title and probably more, and this is underachieving :o,

He may not be county manager material but surely you can't say he's underachieved with Ballinagh.
But then again ye're own managers overachieving keeping ye in Div 1 :P

cavanmaniac

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 28, 2008, 03:52:26 PM

Good article is right, hope he doesn't mind you 'outing' him though! About time someone started reflecting in the media what the dogs on the street know and the ordinary supporter says in the pubs. As long as a sheepish local media remains, it gives the county board, manager and players somewhere to hide IMHO.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: shotstopper1 on February 28, 2008, 05:05:37 PM
QuoteHes underacheived with Ballinagh,as they shouldnt have been in Intermediate football this year.

Senior League(beat both Gowna and Gaels on the way) ,Intermediate title(beaten finalists in 2006),an Ulster title and an u21,a junior title and probably more, and this is underachieving :o,

He may not be county manager material but surely you can't say he's underachieved with Ballinagh.
But then again ye're own managers overachieving keeping ye in Div 1 :P

id be of the opinion SS that Ballinagh have possibely the 3rd most talented panel of players in the county, After the Gaels and probably Mullahoran.
He definetely underacheived in losing 2 Intermediate Finals(i could be wrong but wasnt he manager for the first one??? against Denn ) il put my hand up if i got that one wrong.

Ulster Intermediate and Senior Leage were good wins alright.

Under 21, Ballinagh were streets ahead of the rest in Division 2, and would have beaten every Div 1 team except the Gaels.

hes a good manager,id question his tactical knowledge though, Ballinagh have lost some games over the last few years that they shouldnt.

Anyway, enough of this i feel all dirty praising Ballinagh,

They are the enemy after all  >:(   >:(  >:(

:D

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 28, 2008, 05:14:05 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 28, 2008, 03:52:26 PM

Good article is right, hope he doesn't mind you 'outing' him though! About time someone started reflecting in the media what the dogs on the street know and the ordinary supporter says in the pubs. As long as a sheepish local media remains, it gives the county board, manager and players somewhere to hide IMHO.

he hasnt been active in a long time,so i doubt he would mind.
He writes some great articles,doesnt tug the party line like others and reflects the views of many of us on here.
pity there wasnt more like him.

Homer

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 28, 2008, 06:25:59 PM
He definetely underacheived in losing 2 Intermediate Finals(i could be wrong but wasnt he manager for the first one??? against Debb ) il put my hand up if i got that one wrong.

Just to clarify Morris has been in charge for 3 years alright but only lost the single IFC final in 2006 to Drumalee the year before we made an early exit once again at the hands of Drumalee. The Denn final was 4 years ago back in 2003 and under different management.

No, no please go on HaiseMan, I'm sure everyone is enjoying it as much as I am.

Great article from the The Bottom Line and welcome to KingOfSeptember.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Homer on February 28, 2008, 06:46:54 PM
He definetely underacheived in losing 2 Intermediate Finals(i could be wrong but wasnt he manager for the first one??? against Debb ) il put my hand up if i got that one wrong.

Just to clarify Morris has been in charge for 3 years alright but only lost the single IFC final in 2006 to Drumalee the year before we made an early exit once again at the hands of Drumalee. The Denn final was 4 years ago back in 2003 and under different management.

No, no please go on HaiseMan, I'm sure everyone is enjoying it as much as I am.

Great article from the The Bottom Line and welcome to KingOfSeptember.

ah well i was wrong about the Denn match i see,
how do you rate him Homer?
Possible Future County Manager? if he had a good supporting cast??

Homer

Quote from: Homer on February 28, 2008, 12:04:17 PM
Quote from: CC1 on February 28, 2008, 11:53:19 AM
How about Bernard Morris? Won Ulster IC with Ballinagh. Stephen King won the JFC with Killeshandra last year too.

Wouldn't recommend Morris, he's fairly limited when it comes to tactics and strategy. Grand at club level but wouldn't fair much better than Keoghan in inter county management.

Well what I've already said pretty much sums up my own sentiments. Morris was grand for figuring out a game plan for a certain team but once a plan B was required he was often found wanting. To be honest a lot of the players would have considered Morris's second in command Sean Finnegan to be the brains of the operation and unfortunately for Ballinagh's cause it's looking like he's taking a break now.

LackenLegend

Cheers KOS, i was asked to post that article and not being great at the ould computer i couldn't find a way to do it. Ya saved me a bit of hassle. I see the general consensous is that it is good stuff. Who is Paul Fitzpatrick though? The singer?
Timmmmy!

shotstopper1

Quote from: LackenLegend on February 29, 2008, 09:40:27 AM
Who is Paul Fitzpatrick though? The singer?

Paul is from Treehoo in Redhills,wrote as the Bottom Line in the Echo(Bottom Brick here) and now is with Cavan Voice.Looks like he's busier now than when he was with the Echo as his posts here dried up since his move :D
At least he writes it as he sees it and fair play to him.

CC1

Under 21, Ballinagh were streets ahead of the rest in Division 2, and would have beaten every Div 1 team except the Gaels.
*ahem*  ;D
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: CC1 on February 29, 2008, 01:41:50 PM
*ahem*  ;D

not the year ye beat them mate,  ;)
The year before when they won it.

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan team named:

J Reilly
M Hannon, P Reilly, K Fannin
A Forde, R Flanagan, D Sheridan
D McCabe, M McKeever
M Reilly, M Lyng, R Donohoe
J O'Reilly, S Brady, S Johnston

Cavan team
im happy with it to be honest.

BallyhaiseMan

good player who warranted a shot at the county.

cant say im sorry to see Abramovich GFC losing 7 players in total.  ;D

we got 3 of them  :D  :D