Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LackenLegend

Oooh nasty!!  :o I just read the Bottom Line in the Cavan Voice there. They give Keogan an awful time of it. Maybe he deserves it, i don't know but controversial stuff all the same! Do ye think it is all the manager or do we just not have the players? I heard about a few bust ups between different players and the manager and between players after the Monaghan game. Hot heads or prima donnas?
Timmmmy!

cavanmaniac

Can you post it up? Might be worth a read.

As regards Saturday, we'll be doing well to hold the Dubs to 5/6 points. Dubs can slacken when they think they've a game won and you'd have to imagine there'll be some class of a response to the drubbing from Monaghan, but I really think that Cavan seniors are now at an even lower ebb than when McHugh took over.

BallyhaiseMan

Celt Man
desperate to hear about John McCutcheon's injury as he was the one newcomer this year who looked completely at home at IC level.

My own under 21 team would be.

1.Simon Delaney/James McEvoy(dont know much about either)
2.Niall Reily (very good defender)
3.Rory Dunne (have my doubts about him as a full back,but he will probably get the nod,V Good player though)
4.Sean McCormack( seems to have struggled at Full Back in the challenge games,he played his best football for us two years ago as a corner back)
5.Dane O Dowd(Good defender very strong and good at launching attacks)
6.Ronan Flanagan(Best player in the team hands down)
7.Finbar Jordan(Great attacking wing back)
8.Raymond Galligan(Good fielder, not very quick, but has size hes around 6'2??? ,also a good free taker,) Midfield options with size are very limited this year
9.Fiachra Cork( mobile,good fielder,has improved over the last few years,hope hes added some mass,because he was very light last year)
10.Padraig Smith(adds ball winning ability to the half forward line,Very quick player and good ball carrier,dont know if he has great feet though)
11.Martin Reily( a class act)
12.Barry Watters(another class act, i think hes a more natural wing forward than back)
13.Enda Gaffney(very quick and classy looking,but desperately small about 5'6 or 5'7,) /Cian Mackey(is he definetely in the panel? )
14.Raymond Cullivan(hed be further out the field only id have doubts whether hed have the fitness to last 70 minutes at Midfield, a class act)
15.Sean Higgins( thought he was the Gaels best player in a few of the championship games last year, Very strong for his size,and quick)

is Mackey definetely in the panel? id have thought his games with Armagh City would be clashing with the GAA.
Midfield is a weak area,
the two lads are good footballers, but they wont dominate at this level.
wasnt impressed at all with Martin Dunne or Conor Smith
Paddy Byrd isnt up to it at this level,
Paddy Brady of Mullahoran is a good player,but think he will make the team for the championship.
Damien Reily of Belturbet is a good defender, but is smallish.
Like the look of Thomas Reily and Daniel Graham as  footballers,but they are under 21 for the next two years,might be a bit early for them

dont know what to make of this team to be honest,not expecting anything though.as have been disappointed too often in underage teams in the past.

cavan4ever

Quote from: LackenLegend on February 26, 2008, 05:04:30 PM
Oooh nasty!!  :o I just read the Bottom Line in the Cavan Voice there. They give Keogan an awful time of it. Maybe he deserves it, i don't know but controversial stuff all the same! Do ye think it is all the manager or do we just not have the players? I heard about a few bust ups between different players and the manager and between players after the Monaghan game. Hot heads or prima donnas?

Didn't see it myself but it's good to see some off our local papers can say things like they see it.  The way i see it and what i have been told the management (not just the manager) are alot to blame.  Only game plan is to kick ball into forward line.  One player from a Senior club told me that they have more game plans at club level.  All they seem to be told is to work hard.

cavanmaniac

Can you elaborate on that ttb? I always thought it was board-wide money saving thing that got Keogan in.

cavanmaniac

Ah right, thanks ttb. Out of a farce, a farce is born it seems. ::)

mylestheslasher

It is early days yet but it seems to me that this season is going to be a total disaster. If I were a betting man I'd say Keoghan will not be in charge next year. My big fear is that they go after someone like Stephen King (Cavan man, big name) who I can tell you from 1st hand experience would be exactly the same as Keoghan. The outside manager idea seems to have lost favour in Cavan but i don't see there being an inside man capable of the job. Meanwhile the McCabes and Fordes and those with some experience will drift into retirement leaving behind a team too young and raw to make an impact. I agree with Cavanmaniac in that this is getting very very depressing and I believe we are back in the 80's/early 90's in terms of expectations - especially when I read that county players are bemused by the lack of a game plan (something we all noted after the Monaghan game). Oh well, you never know we could go out and beat the dubs and all will be forgiven.

Homer

"It is early days yet but it seems to me that this season is going to be a total disaster. If I were a betting man I'd say Keoghan will not be in charge next year." NAP!

I see they've even started a petition on the Hoganstand http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=ndgd95eu3xd7iil400493  :o

(EDIT - I see its actually a survey)

mylestheslasher

Forgive my stupidity but what does "NAP!" mean?

Homer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 27, 2008, 03:34:35 PM
Forgive my stupidity but what does "NAP!" mean?

Ah its just racing jargon for a very good bet.

BallyhaiseMan

Just thinking, if you were looking for people within the county to coach the Cavan team, Not many names stick out

Mickie Graham in a year or two if he does well with the minors

Ciaran Brady possibely(heard hes good from some of my longford sources and got his team to the senior final last year)

Stephen King,Ronan Carolan,Damien Reily are big names in Cavan football,but none have been successful at club level.

Has to be an outside man next year.

There is no way Keoghan will be there next year,
we would have to go on a winning spree,for him to survive.
Beat Antrim and Armagh and avoid relegation,Beating Antrim is the only likely there and even that is debateable.

cavanmaniac

In a way I feel sorry for DK. Let's give him some credit, he went in there full of passion for the job and he has tried his utmost; some of his predecessors weren't so committed, that's for sure. But none of this can compensate for his total lack of suitability for the role and his inexperience. Anyone could see that before he went in, apart from, evidently, certain county board eejits with euro signs flashing in their eyes. I genuinely feel this season is going to end with us completely at rock bottom, unless the underage teams lift us somehow and who in their right mind would expect anything of a Cavan underage side? Even I've given up on them!

It's glum down here in the doldrums, I nearly can't be bothered with it anymore and if support starts to drift away (and I believe it has been doing) then Cavan are rightly screwed.

BHMan is right in that Mickey Graham looks to be the only Cavan man making any waves at any level in management but he has to prove himslef with the minors first and like I said above, many's the blossoming management career has been ruined by Cavan minor sides.

If we beat the Dubs this weekend, I'll paint my arse royal blue and sit in Dunnes window for a week.

CC1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 27, 2008, 07:01:45 PM
Just thinking, if you were looking for people within the county to coach the Cavan team, Not many names stick out

Ciaran Brady possibely(heard hes good from some of my longford sources and got his team to the senior final last year)

Stephen King,Ronan Carolan,Damien Reily are big names in Cavan football,but none have been successful at club level.

Beat Antrim and Armagh and avoid relegation,Beating Antrim is the only likely there and even that is debateable.
How about Bernard Morris? Won Ulster IC with Ballinagh. Stephen King won the JFC with Killeshandra last year too.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Homer

Quote from: CC1 on February 28, 2008, 11:53:19 AM
How about Bernard Morris? Won Ulster IC with Ballinagh. Stephen King won the JFC with Killeshandra last year too.

Wouldn't recommend Morris, he's fairly limited when it comes to tactics and strategy. Grand at club level but wouldn't fair much better than Keoghan in inter county management.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: CC1 on February 28, 2008, 11:53:19 AM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 27, 2008, 07:01:45 PM

Definetely not for me CC,

it took Morris what 3 attempts to win an intermediate,even though they had the most talented panel each year.(slightly ahead of us Homer  :P )
Hes underacheived with Ballinagh,as they shouldnt have been in Intermediate football this year.
With a better man along the line they might have been in an all ireland final aswell.
Fingal Ravens were far better tactically on the day.