Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Pain

Sounds like Hollow Man is gonna bring the Pain!!! Mr. Pain thinks this Junior team is a good idea. Think the lads had their first training on Saturday morning for the Development Squad which will then play as Cavan Juniors. Anybody else here wondering what in God's name is going on with the county team. As i said before, leave the young lads to play u21 or whatever before throwing them in at the deep end in Senior county football. Any poor performance and the abuse that goes with it puts a severe dent on a young lad's confidence. Rant over.
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Mr. Pain on February 25, 2008, 01:03:50 PM
Anybody else here wondering what in God's name is going on with the county team.

I'm getting so disinterested in the whole stinking lot I don't even wonder any more. Let's face it, and I know it's not exactly out of the 'Support Through Thick and Thin Handbook' but the senior team are an absolute dead loss and are basically going through the motions again this year. It looks very much like ee have no prospect of doing anything in either league or championship and Keogan's reign is every bit the farce we thought it might be. He's had his chance, he's clearly not making much progress, even with the injured lads to come back.

You can see in recent seasons how the previously unconditional support of Cavan people is dwindling away bit by bit, unfortunately I'm starting to ask myself is it worth the bother any more?

cavan4ever

Junior Football  Date Venue
1. Kilkenny v Wicklow 28.5.2008 Kilkenny
2. Louth v Meath 28.5.2008 Dundalk
3. Wexford v Kildare 28.5.2008 Wexford
4. Dublin v Cavan 28.5.2008 Parnell Park
5. 1 v 2  11.6.2008 Kilkenny/Aughrim
6. 2 v 4  116.2008 Wexford/Newbridge

Homer

Cavan u21s beat Wexford by two points in a challenge game on Saturday. Wexford were aided by the strong wind in the first half and put up a 4 point margin and continued to lead well into the second half but a late goal from Martin Reilly brought Cavan back on terms before going on to seal the deal. I felt Wexford were probably more deserved of a victory having dominated the game for longer periods and looking more clinical in front of the posts but Cavan to their credit improved as the game went on and never gave up. Impressive game from the Cavan defense but the forwards left a lot too be desired. I'm still very worried by the lack of any sort of size to the Cavan team.

A rough run through of the line-out and comments..

James McEvoy (Crosserlough) - Not much to do, decent kick-outs
Daniel Graham (Cavan Gaels) - Started corner-back and played ok here moved to WHF at half time and looked more suited
Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise) - Tried hard but was found fouling on too many occasions and was sent off (forced substitution) with ten minutes to go
Niall O'Reilly (Ballinagh) - Played well after getting one early roasting.  Good going forward.
Tomas Reilly (Killeshandra) - Lost his man and gave the ball away on a couple of occasions in the first half, played better after the break.
Dane O'Dowd (Drumlane) - Needs to let the ball move faster when in possession and also needs to stop ball watching when not. Having said that still played ok.
Finbar Jordan (Lavey) - Quiet enough game although he's not long back from injury. Didn't let his man get up to much either.
Fiachra Cork (Castlerahen) - Played ok and always tracked back when required. Wind didn't allow for much of a fielding spectacle.
James McEnroe (Mountnugent) - Not the tallest or most skillful but he is strong and hard working, had a fairly good game.
Patrick Byrd (Bailieboro) - Not up to the pace and taken off at half time
Paddy Brady (Mullahoran) - Scored a fine point in the first half but did little else, got much more involved in the second half.
Austin Fitzpatrick (Killeshandra) - Quiet enough game, replaced at half time.
Enda Gaffney (Crosserlough) - Movement was excellent but he is very light and worryingly he struggled in the first half to convert anything from further than 25 yards.
Enda(?) Gibney (Mountnugent?) - Never seen the lad before tall but light fella, always moving but nothing really came off for him looked shy TBH. Taken off at HT.
Conor Smith (Cuchuilainns) - He's a good man for getting possession but was often found wanting when it came to final result. Still needs a lot of work on his fitness.

Subs
Martin Reilly (Killygarry) - Half-Time WHF, excellent from play and frees a bit lucky with a deflected goal.
Rory Dunne (Redhills) - Half-Time full back, sound performance when introduced.
Raymond Galligan - Half-Time midfield, quiet but scored one fine point.
Aido Cole (Ramor) - 2nd half corner forward, quiet.

I also heard the seniors had a run out against Fermanagh on Saturday night and were beaten. Apparently McKeever was back but played poorly.

Hollow Man

Is that James McEvoy who was wing back for the minors last year?!

Homer

The very one. He also played in goals for the minors in 2006.

cavanmaniac

Ach I'd imagine they're trying lads out and the championship team will be fairly different...

Homer

By my own guesstimations I reckon the team is shaping up something like this...

1. Simon Delaney (Killenkere) / James McEvoy (Crosserlough)

2. Damien Reilly (Belturbet)
3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)
4. Niall O'Reilly (Ballinagh)

5. Barry Watters (Drung)
6. Dane O'Dowd (Drumlane)
7. Finbar Jordan (Lavey)

8. Fiachra Cork (Castlerahen) / Raymond Galligan (Lacken) / Pauric Smith (Castlerahen)
9. Ray Cullivan (Ballyhaise)

10. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
11. Paddy Brady (Mullahoran)
12. Cian Mackey (Castlerahen)

13. Enda Gaffney (Crosserlough) / Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels)
14. Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahen)
15. Conor Smith (Cuchuilainns)

Others
Sean Higgens (Cavan Gaels),
Enda McHugh (Shannon Gaels),
Tomas Reilly (Killeshandra),
Aido Cole (Ramor),
Austin Fitzpatrick (Killeshandra),
Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise),
Daniel Graham (Cavan Gaels).

I may have left somebody out.

It's very nice team on paper with tonnes of talent but as I've already said no real element of size to them, which you can be sure that Tyrone won't be lacking.

cavan4ever

I heard Raymond Galligan played midfield for the seniors in challenge game last weekend.  It was same day as U-21 game so it just shows what management know.  Martin Reilly played for seniors also.

Homer

Lads do any of ye know where Michael McDonald from Drumgoon has gone?

He seemed to be progressing nicely into a useful midfielder but I haven't heard anything of him this year.  ???

boshiba

Mick was asked to join the panel by keoghan in the imperial one night over christmas, as he was pissed he agreed to be there at training the following wednesday. Wednesday, and training arrived, alas mick didnt.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: boshiba on February 26, 2008, 01:03:02 PM
Mick was asked to join the panel by keoghan in the imperial one night over christmas, as he was pissed he agreed to be there at training the following wednesday. Wednesday, and training arrived, alas mick didnt.

Is that how you get on the county panel now - go into the imperial and get locked. I hope you are joking :-\

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 26, 2008, 01:08:25 PM
Quote from: boshiba on February 26, 2008, 01:03:02 PM

Is that how you get on the county panel now - go into the imperial and get locked. I hope you are joking :-\

Thats true heard it shortly after xmas,  Big Mick would prefer the pints to the county football.

Hollow Man

By my own guesstimations I reckon the team is shaping up something like this...

1. Simon Delaney (Killenkere) / James McEvoy (Crosserlough) - Didnt know mcevoy was a keeper, wouldnt rate delaney

2. Damien Reilly (Belturbet) - don't know him
3. Rory Dunne (Redhills) - soild
4. Niall O'Reilly (Ballinagh) - tidy player

5. Barry Watters (Drung) - his best position, v good
6. Dane O'Dowd (Drumlane) - v strong
7. Finbar Jordan (Lavey) - class player

8. Fiachra Cork (Castlerahen) / Raymond Galligan (Lacken) / Pauric Smith (Castlerahen) - don't know much about the rahan boys but wouldnt rate galligan
9. Ray Cullivan (Ballyhaise) - brilliant if he's fit

10. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)  - brilliant
11. Paddy Brady (Mullahoran) - does the odd flashy thing but overall not great
12. Cian Mackey (Castlerahen) - can be class on his day but then again, can be muck

13. Enda Gaffney (Crosserlough) / Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels) - wouldnt rate either, too flashy, we saw dunne's worth last year for cavan in minor league and cvhampionship
14. Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahen) - best player on the side but should be centre back
15. Conor Smith (Cuchuilainns)  - lightning speed, awkward sort of like pierson, wouldnt be up to this level i wouldnt think

In all, I wouldnt hold too much hope for this team, although they could go and surprise us and do well (in the same way that class teams in the past have slipped up)

Hopefully that's the case

Celt_Man

Well lads, what do you think the team will be this saturday?  Will the big man in charge show any sort of tatical know how and come up with a game plan to stop dublin first of all and then maybe a plan for what we do with the ball when we have it??? I'm not too hopeful....  We have McKeever back and hopefully Flanagan (fitness test tomorrow) I hear but McCutcheon broke his arm on sunday playing for us against Cuchulainns in a challenge...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010