Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

From Hoganstand. Cullivan back in 2 weeks??

Keogan's honest assessment of the Monagan game
19 February 2008

The Cavan team-manager Donal Keogan said: "On trhe night we we were comprehensively beaten by a more experienced Monaghan side. The two first-half goals I felt killed our chances. We made too many silly mistakes and the two goals we conceded ended the game as a contest. We only scored one point from play in the first-half. I thought we started well but kicked too many balls into the goalkeeper's hands and we made too many mistakes from which Monaghan capitalised.

"Key players Dermot McCabe and Michael Lyng are just coming back from injury, and we have seven or eight more players to come back into the team. I'm not offering that as an excuse for this defeat. There were fifteen Cavan men on the field and we were comprehensively beaten and I am very disappointed with our performance.

"Against Dublin in Kingspan/Breffni Park on Saturday week we are hoping to have Mark McKeever back from suspension, as well as Ronan Flanagan, Dermot McCabe, Ray Cullivan and hopefully, a fit Micheal Lyng and Sean Brady and will need to perform much better".

"There are no easy games in this division, and my players are finding that out. If we can 'turn the corner' and hopefully get something from the Dublin game that could well be the turning point to our league season. The Cavan supporters can be assured we in the management team will be doing everything in our power to get the strongest available side out for the Dublin game on Saturday week, and we will take it from there,'' he concluded

Hollow Man

Brides 5 out of ten and Mulvey "competed with Lennon fairly well"?

You truly haven't a clue BH Man!!!

Sean McCormack would have been a better option around defence/midfield/attack...

cavanmaniac

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 19, 2008, 09:13:44 AM
Quote from: Thastheball on February 19, 2008, 09:08:39 AM
Descartes, perhaps our players are shite as well as the manager. How long does it take you to realise how shite our players are ....20 years ;) we had a good man last year in Grimley and it did not make one ounce of difference...come championship we lost as usual. \interesting Grimley got out as quick as he could. George cartwright is not to blame for Keogan, he wanted Cassidy....Liam Mc Cabe and our now retired treasurer are to blame for Keogan...you can take that to the bank

The majority are just good club footballers and wouldn't get a look in most other counties.  As for the Manager he wouldn't get a job with a Division 5 or 6 team.

I dunno I might be demented but to me we've always had a sprinkling of very good players, just not in key positions over the years/too small. Full back, midfield and full-forward we've been struggling for generations, and for size all over the field. But Lyng, Sean Brady, McKeever, McCabe, Jelly, Hannon, Podge, Pierson, Flanagan would surely get a go with most other counties and who knows what a structured coaching approach and commitment to excellence in managerial appointments over the years would have done for various others on the periphery as well. Sean Boylan took many a clogger from Junior football in Meath and they're walking about now in retirement with Leinster and All-Ireland medals to comfort them.

I more or less gave up on the seniors when Keoghan took charge, it's all about underage for me and the pickings have been slim there too. Carlow minors can reach a Leinster final and Antrim an Ulster one, while Roscommon beat Kerry in the final, and all the while Cavan minors can't even reach a provincial decider. Can't all be down to bad luck!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Right. Time to move on lads. No point crying over a shite game. I agree largely with what's being said but the news that Cork have handed 2 points each to Meath & Dublin is now upon us. On the one hand it takes a potential relegation rival (Meath) two points higher but puts Cork right in it with us. Now given that maybe Cork haven't been training too hard is this good or bad news? I'm not sure. My first reaction was the GAA have fucked the other five counties by rewarding the Dubs & Meath, i.e. the look of the fixtures draw has suited them. But any chance we could draw the whingers in with us?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on February 19, 2008, 03:20:14 PM
Brides 5 out of ten and Mulvey "competed with Lennon fairly well"?

You truly haven't a clue BH Man!!!

Sean McCormack would have been a better option around defence/midfield/attack...

f**k off with yourself will you

Brides got roasted by Freeman and was behind his man all game,

Mulvey wasnt up to much,but he competed to a degree with Lennon.

as with the Sean McCormack thing, you're showing yourself up to be a real w**ker alright.

BallyhaiseMan

dont know about the minors.

But i think last years under 21's were a more talented bunch than this years ones.

and look how far they went,

Not optimistic for this year.

Lawrence of Knockbride

..........and I agree with an earlier poster. There seems to be an overspill of hoganstanders. There's no need for personal abuse lads. Opinions are just opinions.

LackenLegend

f**k off with yourself will you

Brides got roasted by Freeman and was behind his man all game,

Mulvey wasnt up to much,but he competed to a degree with Lennon.

as with the Sean McCormack thing, you're showing yourself up to be a real w**ker alright.

oooh this is getting heated!!
Timmmmy!

cavanmaniac

I sympathise with BHMan here. Now I know I lose the run of myself occasionally and I'm a bit shaky on the soapbox after slagging off Ciaran Galligan the way I did, but BHMan is generally a level-headed guy who provides good info, offers his opinions straightforwardly and when he has to, disagrees without slagging anyone off. There's a slight tough guy element creeping in here where one poster can't disgaree with another without taunting them, name-calling or trying to make themselves look superior/make the other look small. It's juvenile, teenage bravado stuff.

I hope it's not something that's going to take hold, it sounds wanky I know but there's standards as long as I've been here (seven years if anyone cares) and I think it'd be to everyone's benefit if they were upheld.

mylestheslasher

Yeh - everyone just chill out 8). I think the hammering by Monaghan has us all in a bad mood. Pop over the the general section and check out the thread on the great Larry Reilly - that will cheer us all up.

cavanmaniac

I just did Myles, I LOL'd as they say.

BallyhaiseMan

whats the opinion on Mark McKeever playing midfield here like he did and(did well aswell) in the McKenna Cup?

do you think it could work even if he is lacking a bit of height?

Shane Ryan of Dublin isnt the tallest after all.

im starting to come around to the idea, because we dont see to have any alternatives with the exception fo Mulvey who continues to fail to produce to the standards he can.

Hollow Man

Quoteyou're showing yourself up to be a real w**ker alright.

Cheers for that - hard to beat a witty and biting riposte when someone lightheartedly (note the exclaimation mark) says you "haven't a clue".

QuoteBrides got roasted by Freeman and was behind his man all game,

We were completely overrrun out the field, which meant Monaghan came at us in waves, so the full back line was completely exposed. Like it or not, Brides held All Star Freeman (who is in red hot form recently) to a point from play, which isn't a complete roasting in my opinion.

Quotewith the exception fo Mulvey who continues to fail to produce to the standards he can.

I completely disagree. I have seen this fella playing maybe 30 times for club and county in the last few years, and I can remember him playing one very good game for Cavan (in the McKenna Cup against Derry, in January, when everybody else was down to his level of conditioning), and a couple of decent games for his club.

I just think he's all posturing and playing the hard man (witness his reaction to being sent off for a sly dig against Wexford last year, kicking the bin in front of the stand, roaring to draw attention to himself etc and also his embarrassing little cameo with Rory Woods last week) and adds little to the team.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on February 20, 2008, 01:52:10 PM
Quoteyou're showing yourself up to be a real w**ker alright.

Cheers for that - hard to beat a witty and biting riposte when someone lightheartedly (note the exclaimation mark) says you "haven't a clue".

QuoteBrides got roasted by Freeman and was behind his man all game,

We were completely overrrun out the field, which meant Monaghan came at us in waves, so the full back line was completely exposed. Like it or not, Brides held All Star Freeman (who is in red hot form recently) to a point from play, which isn't a complete roasting in my opinion.

Quotewith the exception fo Mulvey who continues to fail to produce to the standards he can.

I completely disagree. I have seen this fella playing maybe 30 times for club and county in the last few years, and I can remember him playing one very good game for Cavan (in the McKenna Cup against Derry, in January, when everybody else was down to his level of conditioning), and a couple of decent games for his club.

I just think he's all posturing and playing the hard man (witness his reaction to being sent off for a sly dig against Wexford last year, kicking the bin in front of the stand, roaring to draw attention to himself etc and also his embarrassing little cameo with Rory Woods last week) and adds little to the team.

Fine i may have over-reacted in my reply and apologise for calling you a "w**ker"
But you need to leave this Sean McCormack stuff to rest already.

have to disagree about Brides,
Freeman set up the goal from what i can remember,Its very hard to play a forward like Freeman behind a beaten midfield, but you've got to play him either from the side or the front,
Brides played him from behind all game conceding posession,which is a killer at this level.Freeman may have scored just a point from play, but he had a hand in most of Monaghans good work.

Lorcan Mulvey i believe has talent,I believe its a combination of carrying too much weight and other Hijinks,(  ::) dont think i need to go into detail here) that he fails to show anywhere near his talent.
Unless he improves by the league though,its time for him to be discarded.
we dont seem to be able to produce a big midfielder good enough to partner for McCabe which will hurt against the towering Antrim pair Joe Quinn and Michael McCann?!??

cavanmaniac

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 20, 2008, 01:17:47 PM
whats the opinion on Mark McKeever playing midfield here like he did and(did well aswell) in the McKenna Cup?

do you think it could work even if he is lacking a bit of height?

Shane Ryan of Dublin isnt the tallest after all.

im starting to come around to the idea, because we dont see to have any alternatives with the exception fo Mulvey who continues to fail to produce to the standards he can.

I don't know, I suppose no matter where he's played in the middle eight, he'll be doing the same thing - he'll not be catching any high ball really but has great strength for bursting in on breaking ball and driving forward, and can tackle back as well. Which, as you say, is precisely what Shane Ryan tends to do.

Ideally you'd have an out and out midfielder there and leave McKeever in the half backs (between playing McKeever and Rory Donohoe at 11, Keoghan's idea of a centre-forward differs from mine) where I feel he belongs, but in reality we're faced with McCabe plus a mixum-gatherum of McKeever, Sean Brady and so on...

McKeever might make a decent number six longer-term, which could free Podge up for full-back maybe?