Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Larry Burst his hole for the county, but never reached the standards he could have due to weight issues.

wont be at the game Saturday as the club are going away for the weekend so could I PLEASE have some reports in here the day after.

;D

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2008, 11:59:34 AM
Larry Burst his hole for the county, but never reached the standards he could have due to weight issues.

wont be at the game Saturday as the club are going away for the weekend so want some reports in here the day after.

You could at least say please  ;D

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2008, 11:59:34 AM

wont be at the game Saturday as the club are going away for the weekend so want some reports in here the day after.

You could at least say please  ;D

OK :D

Lawrence of Knockbride

Steady on lads. So McCabe is midfield then? IMHO we need to get Rory & Lorcan off the team pretty quick. Decent enough men to have on the panel but just not at the races in any game this year. I know we're lacking around the middle with McKeever & McCabe out recently and Walsh packing it in but they're just not up to it.

By the way did anyone see the prodigal johnston pushing the 2 Armagh boys after the ref did him for over-carrying. What a knob. And then he flicks one of the boys in the balls with his knuckles. Welcome back Seanie-Greatest Irish Hero. And then telling the media that a lot was said in the heat of the moment (I agree, but surely a go at Keoghan) and that he's "happy enough" to be back. He can GTF as far as I'm concerned.

C'mon the Breffni.

cavan4ever

Ive heard that there are 3 changes from the Armagh game.

Dermot Sheridan
Pierson
Declan Gaffney

BallyhaiseMan

delighted Declan Gaffney is going to be given a chance,
we need some f**kin height at Midfield.

Dermot Sheridan in for Keith Fannin possibely?

Pierson for Eddie id say.

BallyhaiseMan

Team posted by someone from Hoganstand,dont know how accurate

James Reilly
Fannin
Sheridan
Brides
McCutchen
Podge
Waters
McCabe
J Cunningham
M Reilly
Sean Brady
M Cunningham
Johnston
Jayo
Pearson

???
Not a bad selection if true,prefer is McCabe didnt play this early as we need him healthy later on.
Like the look of that half forward line though.

mylestheslasher

Don't know if I'd believe that Hoganstand team. I'd agree on Shierdan for Dunne, but I'd leave Eddie on and put in Pierson for Jayo.
So anyway Lawrence, I don't know anyone called Lawrence or Larry so their can't be too many of them in Knockbride so come clean, are you the real Larry or a pretender to the crown. Agree that Johnstone is a total knob but I think he is taking lessons from Mortimor at DCU.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2008, 02:24:34 PM
Team posted by someone from Hoganstand,dont know how accurate

James Reilly
Fannin
Sheridan
Brides
McCutchen
Podge
Waters
McCabe
J Cunningham
M Reilly
Sean Brady
M Cunningham
Johnston
Jayo
Pearson

???
Not a bad selection if true,prefer is McCabe didnt play this early as we need him healthy later on.
Like the look of that half forward line though.

Think thats not accurate.  Maybe that is the team that's released for the program.  As far as i know there are no cunninghams or mccabe and Johnston got injured playing for DCU so is out.

Lawrence of Knockbride

That's a pretty scary name but you scared me more saying you'd leave Eddie in. Have you seen him play this year? He missed two 20 metre frees in the first McKenna Cup game-one off the ground and one from his hands just to show his consistency. Jayo is frustrating as hell but he offers a goal threat. I know we need humour on the field now that one of the great corner forwards of our times is no longer around, but this joke isn't funny anymore. Forgot to check-is Donohoe and Mulvey off that team? That other lad Gaffney doesn't even try so he's no addition eithe. Although I suppose he deserves one more chance.

What happened that Fitzpatrick lad from Killeshandra. Did he get cut? Looked good in the few Junior games I saw last year but he wasn't playin for the U-21s last week either. Is he overage?

mylestheslasher

Didn't mean to scare you there Larry ;D Anyhow, my reasoning for leaving in Eddie instead of Jayo is that Jayo hasn't looked like winning one ball for himself in any game I have seen this year - his legs are gone.  Missed goal chances last week too. Eddie is not the worlds greatest player but he gives 100% and he has a bit of a football brain, i.e. he can lay off a ball instead of running into the corner and shooting from stupid angles. He is also strong enough to compete with a big guy for 50/50 ball. If missing frees is his biggest crime then simply we need to give someone else free taking responsibility.

Austin Fitz got cut from Senior panel before the league. No idea why he isn't featuring in the U21 games which he is definetely underage for.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Would have to say that if Eddie is the brains of any operation we're in trouble. I'll grant that I have seen him giving at least on handpass against Down but he's the main culprit when it comes to trying for the spectacular. I think him and johnston have a competition going for who can kick one from the narrowist angle. And a bit harsh on Jayo if you're implying he's not a tryer. I think he wears himself out trying but then maybe the leg are going. I'd have Jayo as an impact sub and Eddie back foddering.

mylestheslasher

Wasn't trying to imply that Jason isn't a tryer only that he doesn't seem to be able to get out and win his own ball anymore. He has given Cavan a lot so no insult intended. I think that Eddie is more of a fighter and more of a target man. His skill level isn't great but we need to have a big strong FF option or we'll be easily snuffed out later in the year. Reckon Eddie will make way at FF for McCabe in the summer anyway but we need to start thinking about a different game plan rather than low ball into fast small & often selfish forwards.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I read an interview with Keoghan in one of the new local papers and in fairness to him he pointed out the selfishness of the forwards as one of the big problems last year so if nothing else at least he's seeing that. I see we'll have to face the Cork boys afterall. That arbitration is strange. You have two groups nowhere near a compromise and they both accept whatever this man/group says. So Holland gets the boot which the county board would not do in the first place. I suppose it washes their hands off it to some extent. Maybe we should enter it.

Celt_Man

I have just came home from one of the Division One Minor league games and I have to say I don't think I have been this depressed about the state of Cavan football in a long time...  Trinity Gaels (St. Finbarr's and Cootehill) even though they couldn't field a team separately in last years minor and u-16 leagues and depsite then the combined team not winning a single game in the U-16 or Minor championships - this year's Trinity Gaels Minor Team find themselves in Division One of the league and have just been hammered 5 - 18 to 1 - 4 by Crosserlough

Now I'm not whinging about the result - the difference in class between the teams is unbelievable, although I was told by a member of the Crosserlough Management that they mightn't win another game this year - my complaint is with the grading system that puts a team, who can only field 16 players and didn't play in the league last year and couldn't win a game in the championship, into Division One????  This is a disgrace how can you ask young players not to go off and play soccer or rugby or to keep any kind of a interest in Gaelic football when they get beaten like that???? Especially when they know it will only get worse too when playing Castlerahan, RedBridge and of course Cavan Gaels!!

Shame on the Minor County Board whose job it is to promote minor football in the county for allowing this to happen.... How can we complete at Inter county level when we don't have a competitive Minor club league....  Especially when the delegates were told that there was no 11 a side league this year and that it wasn't even up for discussion at the Minor Board AGM!!!  If it wasn't so serious, it would be laughable... Mr Chairman thinks he is running a dicatorship.... and where is he from??? My own club!!

What is the situation with other clubs?  Why are there so many amalgamations?

Hopefull the Seniors can cure my depression this evening...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010