Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shotstopper1

Quote from: Cavanfan on February 04, 2008, 09:43:47 AM
Neither Brides or Sherdian were togged out yest. As far as I know Sherdian is injured.

Brides was injured during the week playing for his club (St Oliver Plunkett's) in the Dublin league final,a game in which they beat St Vincents 2-13 to 1-7.

BallyhaiseMan

Very disappointing second half performance i must say, Encouraging first half.

Seanie Johnston, Martin Reily and John McCutcheon for me were all outstanding.

Midfield absolutely non existant.

Miller, absolutely brilliant, Best Goalkeeper in Ireland and its not even close.

Backs very shaky, only for Armagh continuously screwing up and Miller, there could have been 5 goals back there.

Rory Dunne isnt the answer at Full Back does too much ball watching and isnt fast enough, im afraid we need either Colm Hannon  Rabbitte or move Podge back there
Michael Hannon done good enough job on McDonnel but he Hannon didnt look very fit,which is understandable for this time of year.

Keith Fannin got a bit of a run around by Gareth Swift and was taken off.

the place for Barry Watters is in the forward line,talented football player but not a Wing Back.

Podge played ok,had to curtail himself a bit after the booking and we didnt see too much of him in the 2nd half.

McCutcheon outstanding.

Mulvey and Cunningham done absolutely nothing at Midfield. not looking good for the Monaghan game with Eoin Lennon dominating there for them.

Martin Reily,kicked 4 wonderful points,workrate phenomonal as well.

Rory Donohoe, surely by now the selectors have discovered hes not an IC Forward, either a wing back or nothing. Contributed next to nothing.

Anthony Forde, done ntohing but mouth at referee and foul.

Seanie Johnston, outstanding scoring 1-4,with little support in the full forward line.

Eddie, not an IC full forward, hes either a wing forward or shouldnt be there,Non existant.

Jason, see Eddie, done nothing,behind his man constantly aswell.

Subs

Michael Lyng, played ok, got on a lot of ball, probably the only answer for the 11 jersey that we have. Has to start the next day if fit.

gerard Pierson, wasted the only two balls which he got.

Sean Brady, wasted the one ball he got,but wasnt on for too long

Michael Cunningham, wasnt on for long.

Team for the next day for me should be

1. James Reily
2. Michael Hannon
3. Padraic Reily
4. Dermot Sheridan
5. John McCutcheon
6. Rory Donohoe
7. John Cunningham
8. Declan Gaffney
9.  Michael Cunningham
10. Sean Brady
11. Michael Lyng
12. Barry Watters
13. Seanie Johnston
14. Gerard Pierson
15. Martin Reily

Eddie,
Jason
Forde
Mulvey and Fannin on the bench to bring on.

cant believe im saying this, but with McCabe out injured, we could do with Nicholas Walsh for midfield.  :o

Homer

James Reilly - Some excellent shot-stopping, good kick-outs. Still fills me with anxiety when on the ball though.

Keith Fannin - Made some good runs up the field and used the ball well when we were in possession but was found loose when Armagh threatened. Gifted the orchard boys a few scorable frees and was lucky that they didn't oblige. Replaced just before half-time.

Rory Dunne - Armaghs first half goal chance and penalty came off him standing to far in front of Clarke. Will have to get much tighter if he is going to hold the position. Made good use of the ball when in possession.

Michael Hannon - Had the unenviable task of picking up McDonnell. Caught out in the second-half when making a break up the field and left McDonnell to take an easy point. Will need a few more games.

Barry Watters - Decent game driving forward but the constant push up the field by himself and McCutcheon left serious gaps in the defense. Unlucky to see a last gasp effort fly over the bar.

Padraic O'Reilly - Done well in the first half at CHB. Moved to Corner/Full Back in place of Fannin. Originally done well on Swift who was then replaced but struggled when the big midfielder moved in on him.

John McCutcheon - Scored an excellent point and always made him self available when driving forward. Needs to work on discipline as he had an important free brought on for descent.

Lorcan Mulvey - Very poor, didn't win anything from kick-outs and was always behind the play.

John Cunningham - Got more involved than Mulvey but again nothing from kick-outs.

Martin Reilly - Some excellent scores yesterday but his man done a lot of damage driving forward in the second half.

Rory Donohoe - The facade cannot continue, contributed very little and was destroyed by his man on the back-foot. Would expect Lyng to start in his place next time out.

Anthony Forde - Done ok in the first half when WHF but lazily kicked a ball wide from the wing when we had men over. Often found loose when moved to CHB. Made Jelly and Co. work hard by ballooning balls in.

Sean Johnston - Always dangerous and along with Martin Reilly our only threat up front. Had to work hard for a free but needs to keep the head when things don't go his way.

Eddie Reilly - Never in the game and should have been replaced earlier.

Jason Reilly - Like Eddie Reilly very poor. Missed two goal chances the second one fortunately falling to Jelly to poach home.

Subs

Micky Lyng - Looked the part when introduced always available and made good usage of the ball. Did make the criminal mistake of dropping one ball into the keepers hands near the end.

Gerard Pierson - Despite coming on late he gained a fair bit of possession and looked lively but failed to translate any of this into anything.

Sean Brady - Encouraging to see him return. Not on long enough to comment much.

As I've said Rory Donohoe just isn't up to it and surely now Keoghan will act on this.

McCutcheon and Watters need to take turns when driving forward, countless scores in second half came from the full forward line just laying it off/ breaking it down to the Armagh half forwards for them to slot it over the bar.

Midfield was a disaster but in fairness our half-forward and half-back line were as bad with the breaks.

Bar Seanie Johnston and Martin Reilly none of the other forwards ever looked like scoring.

BallyhaiseMan

Hear Padraic Smith of Castlerahan on the County under 21's is playing good stuff at midfield, but hes a bit small for midfield as well just around 6 ft 6'1 mark.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 04, 2008, 03:53:00 PM
Hear Padraic Smith of Castlerahan on the County under 21's is playing good stuff at midfield, but hes a bit small for midfield as well just around 6 ft 6'1 mark.

Would Mulvey be much bigger than that?

Mr. Pain

No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 04, 2008, 04:00:22 PM

Mulvey is about 6'2 C4ever and is about 15 Stone(according to last years match progrmme against Down wich had him at 15 and a half)

hes big enough but he needs to be both fitter and a good bit lighter,

Anthony Tohill in his prime was 15 stone, but he was 6'4
hes a lot bigger of a man than Mulvey.

Padraic Smith would be about 6ft and 13 stone, great fielder and very fast,but not big enough for IC Midfield unless he has a man mountain beside him.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 04, 2008, 04:34:18 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on February 04, 2008, 04:00:22 PM

Mulvey is about 6'2 C4ever and is about 15 Stone(according to last years match progrmme against Down wich had him at 15 and a half)

hes big enough but he needs to be both fitter and a good bit lighter,

Anthony Tohill in his prime was 15 stone, but he was 6'4
hes a lot bigger of a man than Mulvey.

Padraic Smith would be about 6ft and 13 stone, great fielder and very fast,but not big enough for IC Midfield unless he has a man mountain beside him.

So where you think McKeever should play when he is back. I think he should be centre or wing-half back.

BallyhaiseMan

it we cant find a full back

its Podge at Full Back

and Mark McKeever at Centre Half Back for me,

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 04, 2008, 04:53:36 PM

its Podge at Full Back

Are we ever going to find a full back  :-[

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 04, 2008, 04:55:26 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 04, 2008, 04:53:36 PM

its Podge at Full Back

Are we ever going to find a full back  :-[

we had a good one in Darren Rabbitte,but he just cant stay healthy

wouldnt mind seeing Colm Hannon given an oppertunity there,

if all else fails,Podge is the only answer for this year.

cavan4ever

Is he even on the panel , don't think he was listed but he could be injured.  How did Sean McCormack play for U-21's at weekend?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on February 04, 2008, 05:01:26 PM
Is he even on the panel , don't think he was listed but he could be injured.  How did Sean McCormack play for U-21's at weekend?

i believe he was doing some training with them,but could be wrong,dont know how Sean Played to be honest, i rate him very highly as you know,But its a year too soon for him in my opinion,
Id rather he concentrated on the under 21's.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 04, 2008, 05:04:04 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on February 04, 2008, 05:01:26 PM

i believe he was doing some training with them,but could be wrong,dont know how Sean Played to be honest, i rate him very highly as you know,But its a year too soon for him in my opinion,
Id rather he concentrated on the under 21's.

Same as Dunne and Watters maybe. 

Hollow Man

Flanagan in there instead of Pierson, Sean Brady instead of Cunningham, McCabe instead of BIG BAD LORCAN MULVEY!!!, Pierson instead of Eddie...

Not a bad looking side

Oh yeah, I forgot, AN Other instead of Pter Stringfellow on the line!!!