Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

He was named in some of the local papers but that wasn't right either.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 01, 2008, 03:05:22 PM
Galligan is no loss. A windier, scaredy cat, shivering, quaking waste of space as I've never seen in a blue jersey before. Absolutely afraid of his living life, and the size of him!!!!

Ah yes, the sheer joy of being a Cavan inter county footballer. The opportunity to cop personalised, gratuitous abuse from the giants of the GAA that inhabit this thread. Think we should confine that sort of stuff to Christiano Ronaldo and his ilk who at least can console themselves with an inflated pay packet.

Have you seen him play? If I said it nicer and that he was "slightly lacking in intestinal fortitude", it still amounts to the same. The guy's afraid, end of, has no business near a county team.

And anyway, it was more a criticism of Keogan's selecting of him than the player himself per se.

I find your 'giants of the GAA' taunt a little ironic as well given that the majority of your own ever-so-slightly judgemental posts are offered mainly to point out the perceived flaws in others', but it's a board and it's about opinions at the end of the day. 

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 01, 2008, 04:56:49 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 01, 2008, 03:05:22 PM
Galligan is no loss. A windier, scaredy cat, shivering, quaking waste of space as I've never seen in a blue jersey before. Absolutely afraid of his living life, and the size of him!!!!

Ah yes, the sheer joy of being a Cavan inter county footballer. The opportunity to cop personalised, gratuitous abuse from the giants of the GAA that inhabit this thread. Think we should confine that sort of stuff to Christiano Ronaldo and his ilk who at least can console themselves with an inflated pay packet.

Have you seen him play? If I said it nicer and that he was "slightly lacking in intestinal fortitude", it still amounts to the same. The guy's afraid, end of, has no business near a county team.

And anyway, it was more a criticism of Keogan's selecting of him than the player himself per se.

I find your 'giants of the GAA' taunt a little ironic as well given that the majority of your own ever-so-slightly judgemental posts are offered mainly to point out the perceived flaws in others', but it's a board and it's about opinions at the end of the day. 

I'd agree that he isn't up to county standard but i don't think it's fair on the lad to say them things about him.  You wouldn't find anyone more dedicated than him but as you said it's keoghan who picked him.

cavanmaniac

Yer that's what I meant really only it came out a bit sour because I remember being incredibly frustrated by him in Newry. Just wouldn't put a hand on anyone, shocking stuff...

Hollow Man

Maniac your extremely personal abuse of Ciaran Galligan is way out of order.

QuoteI can't for the life of me figure out what happened to Johnny Crowe though. A teak tough customer who was really starting to come into his own I thought and a strong man we are desperately in need of around the middle sector. Is he a victim of the policy you indentified of playing ball-carriers as opposed to defenders in the half back line?

The above quote shows that you haven't a clue of what's going on in Cavan football either – if you can't "for the life of you" figure that Crowe is out injured, or ask somebody, then it doesn't say much for your knowledge.

If you must have an opinion (albeit a clearly uninformed one), try not to make personal attacks on an amateur player.

It's all well and good saying a fella is not fit, or is unreliable or whatever, but describing a young player as "a windy, scaredy cat, shivering, quaking waste of space" is offensive.

By the way, do you regard yourself as a "supporter" of the Cavan team?

BallyhaiseMan

Ciaran Galligan needs to put on about 1 stone of pure mass and start horsing everyone out of it around the midfield area. Aka do what Mulvey does.
Hes too loose of  footballer for an IC Midfielder,Hes not a coward,but he gives me the impression of someone who is very laid back.Good Footballer who i have a lot of time for and have played against countless times from juvenille to senior level.
still think hed be worth a try at Full Forward in the next year or two because at 6'5 and athletic, hed be a handful to anyone.

anyone else goin on Sunday, decided i would. but not expecting aything out of it against a stronger than usual(for this time of year) Armagh team.

anglocelt39

Christ Maniac you're dog rough altogether when you take the rise. I'm sitting here feeling like a novice Fine Gael politician that's just gone 15 bruising rounds with Micheal McDowell. Think I'll get over it.

Anyway, since I kicked this off, unwittingly this morning let me try to help put it to bed.

Firstly all the regular posters here have something in common, we are all passionate Cavan GAA people in our own way, some of us smack bang in the middle of it, some of us removed. Sometimes we post things that reflect that passion. Have we said worse about players at a game-yes, have some of us said worse in the pub with a skinful on board-me definitely. Now call me old fashioned, which I am, but I find the Net a bit of a cruel forum by times in that the posted word stays there for all to see.

Anway, down out of the pulpit, off with the dog collar now because I'm off for a skinful.

Here's hoping for Sunday.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

CC1

Quote from: Homer on February 01, 2008, 01:46:40 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on February 01, 2008, 12:39:54 PM
Quote from: Homer on February 01, 2008, 12:32:39 PM
To be honest I don't much about Kildallen but I doubt they'll be in the running for the Junior champ this year, it will be one of Shannon Gaels, Cornafean or Munterconnaught.

:o :o :o :o :o   

Your a betting man Homer i will put a wager on with you that it wont be one of those 3

:D

Apologies cavan4ever I forgot who went down this year.

Down to Bunnoe the junior champ will go!
Me arse!  >:( >:(  ;)
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

cavan4ever

Quote from: CC1 on February 02, 2008, 03:27:19 AM
Quote from: Homer on February 01, 2008, 01:46:40 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on February 01, 2008, 12:39:54 PM
Quote from: Homer on February 01, 2008, 12:32:39 PM
To be honest I don't much about Kildallen but I doubt they'll be in the running for the Junior champ this year, it will be one of Shannon Gaels, Cornafean or Munterconnaught.

:o :o :o :o :o   

Your a betting man Homer i will put a wager on with you that it wont be one of those 3

:D

Apologies cavan4ever I forgot who went down this year.

Down to Bunnoe the junior champ will go!
Me arse!  >:( >:(  ;)

lol...  u might have a chance if u get new gloves

cavanmaniac

You're all dead right, looking back now it was harsh of me, too personalised and, I hope, out of character. Expunge it from the record m'luds, I was having a "dog rough" day as the man said.

@Hollowman, I'm in exile so cut me some slack on Johnny Crowe, I was only going by the 29-man panel and McKenna cup lineouts on previous pages.

As for being uninformed, I or many others hadn't heard of this campaign you mentioned either, but that'd be my cloth ears again I guess although maybe it shows we can all overegg the pudding sometimes:

"This "Get Sean McCormack on to the county team" internet campaign is getting ridiculous and is frankly embarrassing.

Between hogan stand and this site (not so bad on this site anymore), you'd swear he was Darren Fay."

Homer

Team for tomorrow is as cavan4ever described.

J Reilly; M Hannon, R Dunne, K Fannin; B Watters, P O'Reilly, J McCutcheon; L Mulvey, J Cunningham; M Reilly, R Donohoe, A Forde; J O'Reilly, E O'Reilly, S Johnston.

Podge has been named vice-captain for the year and so will take over duties from McKeever for tomorrow.

County u21s had a run out against Sligo today. Don't have time to write much of a report but they were diabolic in the first half and went in at the break 1-5 to 0-2. Played much better in the 2nd half and really should have won the game but it finished all square, Cavan 0-12 Sligo 1-9.

Team was

Simon Delaney (Killenkere)
Dane O'Dowd (Drumlane)
Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise)
Damien Reilly (Belturbet)
Niall O'Reilly (Ballinagh)
Stephan Connolly (Ramor)
James McEvoy (Crosserlough)
Fiachra Cork (Castlerahen)
Pauric Smith (Castlerahen)
Paddy Byrd (Bailieborough)
Tomas Reilly (Killeshandra)
Paddy Brady (Mullahoran)
Cian Mackey (Castlerahen)
Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels)
Aido Cole (Ramor)

Subs
James McEnroe (Mountnugent)
Daniel Graham (Cavan Gaels)
Levi Murphy (Cavan Gaels)
Conor Smith (Cuchuillainns)

cavanmaniac

Thanks for that Homer. That's a surprisingly low number of Gaels for a Cavan underage team. Interested to hear your low-down when you have time.

J Reilly; M Brides, D Sheridan, K Fannin; B Watters, P Reilly, J McCutcheon; L Mulvey, J Cunningham; M Reilly, R Donohoe, A Forde; J O'Reilly, E O'Reilly, S Johnston.

What happened the pair above since the first team was named?

Hollow Man

Jesus the ref bulled us from behind today!

cavan4ever

Quote from: Hollow Man on February 03, 2008, 10:07:55 PM
Jesus the ref bulled us from behind today!

He was a disgrace, in the first half he wasn't bad but as soon as the second half started he gave everything he could to Armagh. 

Could have got a hammering up there if they had off took all there chances in the first half.   

Cavanfan

Neither Brides or Sherdian were togged out yest. As far as I know Sherdian is injured.

Yes indeed the referee was awful yesterday in the 2nd half especially. However, if all the Armagh frees had gone over yest the result of the game would have been alot different.

Some decent enough performances from some of the lads in the first half.

Good to see a good crowd at it even with the terrible conditions and considering it was on TV later in the evening.

Hopefully we can get a good performance in two weeks at home to our near neighbours!!