Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 28, 2008, 04:09:57 PM
I see TG4 have delayed transmission of the Cavan Armagh match next Sunday...

http://www.tg4.ie/Spor/week.htm

I think we are in with a chance of winning this one with the Crossmaglen players missing and a Armagh team that is in transition. In fact I think it could be critical for our survival in Div 2 that we do win it.

Has a venue been confirmed for this? Might be in the area

cavan4ever

Quote from: ExiledGael on January 28, 2008, 04:21:00 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 28, 2008, 04:09:57 PM
I see TG4 have delayed transmission of the Cavan Armagh match next Sunday...

http://www.tg4.ie/Spor/week.htm

I think we are in with a chance of winning this one with the Crossmaglen players missing and a Armagh team that is in transition. In fact I think it could be critical for our survival in Div 2 that we do win it.

Has a venue been confirmed for this? Might be in the area

It's in Crossmaglen at 2.30pm.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 27, 2008, 04:28:13 PM
Our eternal optimist Cavan Maniac, he who forever thinks this is the year for the breakthrough at Under 21 level regardless of what sort of humiliation was visited upon the corresponding minor outfit, seems particularly upbeat at our chances in the grade this year.

Ach Jasus, hardly...even I'm losing the faith. Sure if they rechristened it the Cavan-only U21 championship and only Cavan could take part, we'd still lose to Cavan by a point after extra time in the Cavan final. Which would be staged in Cavan.

And yes, the optimistic part of me is hoping that this new reverse-psychology 'I've given up' approach will cause a fiendish flipping of the tide and we'll romp home at minor and U21.

I'm fierce clever altogether ;)

shotstopper1

From Hogan Stand

The following is Cavan's 29-man N.F.L. panel - James Reilly (Drung), Michael Brides (Oliver Plunketts, Dublin), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), John McCutcheon (Cootehill), Keith Fannin (Drumgoon), Barry Watters (Drung), Lorcan Mulvey (Butlersbridge), Mark McKeever (Gowna), Micheal Lyng (Cavan Gaels), Rory Donohoe (Belturbet), Eddie O'Reilly (Mullahoran), Finbar O'Reilly (Lacken), Gerard Pierson (Gowna), Jason Reilly (Belturbet), Declan Gaffney (Crosserlough), Sean Brady (Castlerahan), Michael Hannon (Drumgoon), Darren Rabbitte (Cavan Gaels), James Carolan (Lavey), Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels), Pauric Reilly (Ballinagh), Dermot Sheridan (Mullahoran), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), John Cunningham (Swanlinbar), Conor. Smith (Cuchulainns), Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise), Mark Johnston (Cornafean) and Anthony Forde (Cavan Gaels).

So much for all the mouthing last year about the Chicago 3 not playing for Cavan again.
With Rabbitte,Dermot Sheridan, Sean McCormack and Rory Dunne also on the panel we'll surely have a full back for the championship (unlike last year).
Tough army training (presumably shooting ;D) in the Curragh on Sat left Cavan unable to field 15 v  Longford on Sunday due to injuries.

Cavanfan

From the Hoganstand

Cavan 29-man national league panel for the start of the league campaign
29 January 2008

The following is Cavan's 29-man N.F.L. panel - James Reilly (Drung), Michael Brides (Oliver Plunketts, Dublin), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), John McCutcheon (Cootehill), Keith Fannin (Drumgoon), Barry Watters (Drung), Lorcan Mulvey (Butlersbridge), Mark McKeever (Gowna), Micheal Lyng (Cavan Gaels), Rory Donohoe (Belturbet), Eddie O'Reilly (Mullahoran), Finbar O'Reilly (Lacken), Gerard Pierson (Gowna), Jason Reilly (Belturbet), Declan Gaffney (Crosserlough), Sean Brady (Castlerahan), Michael Hannon (Drumgoon), Darren Rabbitte (Cavan Gaels), James Carolan (Lavey), Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels), Pauric Reilly (Ballinagh), Dermot Sheridan (Mullahoran), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), John Cunningham (Swanlinbar), Conor. Smith (Cuchulainns), Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise), Mark Johnston (Cornafean) and Anthony Forde (Cavan Gaels).

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on January 28, 2008, 01:00:58 PM
This "Get Sean McCormack on to the county team" internet campaign is getting ridiculous and is frankly embarrassing.

Between hogan stand and this site (not so bad on this site anymore), you'd swear he was Darren Fay.

Sorry What? Theres no campaign getting Sean onto the County team,just because a few idiots on Hoganstand write in messages doesnt make it a campaign.
Im delighted for Sean,a Nicer Lad you will not meet and a cracking footballer as well.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: shotstopper1 on January 29, 2008, 03:46:08 PM
From Hogan Stand

So much for all the mouthing last year about the Chicago 3 not playing for Cavan again.
With Rabbitte,Dermot Sheridan, Sean McCormack and Rory Dunne also on the panel we'll surely have a full back for the championship (unlike last year).
Tough army training (presumably shooting ;D) in the Curragh on Sat left Cavan unable to field 15 v  Longford on Sunday due to injuries.

Dermot Sheridan would be an excellent Cornerback on the Cavan team,but IMO isnt big enough to play full back.
would rather see Sean at Cornerback for a year to find his feet before hed move to Full, He must be performing very well in training though.
Rory Dunne is a very good footballer,but i dont know if he has the burst of speed to play Full back at IC level,Definetely a place for him on the team though.

Hollow Man

QuoteSorry What? Theres no campaign getting Sean onto the County team,just because a few idiots on Hoganstand write in messages doesnt make it a campaign.
Im delighted for Sean,a Nicer Lad you will not meet and a cracking footballer as well.

Sorry what me arse!

It's a bit embarrassing if you ask me, it's been going on a long time now...

cavan4ever

Got a bit of info on the team for sunday.

Dunne, Waters, Mc Cutheon(spelling), John Cunningham all rumoured to be starting on sunday.

Hollow Man

I strongly doubt Dunne will start.

I'd say Brides will be corner back, Jelly Jason and Eddie in the full forward line.

Not sure where they'll put Forde, maybe wing forward?

cavan4ever

Quote from: Hollow Man on January 30, 2008, 04:37:59 PM
I strongly doubt Dunne will start.

I'd say Brides will be corner back, Jelly Jason and Eddie in the full forward line.

Not sure where they'll put Forde, maybe wing forward?

Brides is isn't fit he got knocked out cold in the dublin league final last friday night.   I have it from a good source that Dunne will be full back , Dermot sheridan is injured. No place for your friend McCormack Holllow man that must be a shock  ;).

Mulvey and John Cunningham midfield.

Hollow Man

Wait and see.

I reckon Brides will be in the corner (think he is fit), Sheridan full back, Watters wing back, Cunningham and Mulvey in the middle...

Martin Reilly should be a shoo in for half foward, Jayo Eddie and Jelly full forward line I would think...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on January 29, 2008, 07:06:26 PM
QuoteSorry What? Theres no campaign getting Sean onto the County team,just because a few idiots on Hoganstand write in messages doesnt make it a campaign.

Sorry what me arse!

It's a bit embarrassing if you ask me, it's been going on a long time now...

i dont think Donal Keoghan or his selectors read the Hoganstand though,so i dont know exactly what difference it makes? Hoganstand is full of Children.
Or do you have something personally against Sean?

cavan4ever

Quote from: Hollow Man on January 30, 2008, 06:04:54 PM
Wait and see.

I reckon Brides will be in the corner (think he is fit), Sheridan full back, Watters wing back, Cunningham and Mulvey in the middle...

Martin Reilly should be a shoo in for half foward, Jayo Eddie and Jelly full forward line I would think...

From Hoganstand
Cavan (NFL v Armagh) - J Reilly; M Brides, D Sheridan, K Fannin; B Watters, P Reilly, J McCutcheon; L Mulvey, J Cunningham; M Reilly, R Donohoe, A Forde; J O'Reilly, E O'Reilly, S Johnston.

Your info was more accurate than mine Hollow Man.

mylestheslasher

From Hoganstand... Keoghans quote from last year is quite pathetic really

Johnston back for Cavan

Cavan's Seanie Johnston
30 January 2008

Just seven months after Donal Keoghan said that Seanie Johnston wouldn't wear a Cavan jersey again during his tenure as manager, the ace corner forward has been included in the side to face up to Armagh in their NFL Division 2 clash on Sunday.

Johnston left the Cavan squad after they exited the Ulster championship last summer and went to play football in Chicago, thus missing out on the All-Ireland qualifier loss to Mayo.

Keoghan was so infuriated at the time that he said any player who left the squad midseason to go to America would not feature under him again.

"Any fella that goes away to America won't be wearing a Cavan jersey again while I'm in charge. I'm very hurt about it. There's definitely no way they'll be back playing while I'm in charge," said Keoghan in June 2007 after Johnston, Paul Brady and Martin Cahill dropped off his squad.

However, Johnston returned to Ireland play a staring role as Cavan Gaels landed the county crown and he excelled for DCU in this year's O'Byrne Cup. That form has seen the forward recalled in a side that included three debutants.

Wing backs Barry Watters and John McCutcheon make their first starts after impressing as the Breffni County made it to the semi-finals of the Dr. McKenna Cup.

John Cunningham is called up in midfield to partner Lorcan Mulvey.

Cavan (NFL v Armagh) - J Reilly; M Brides, D Sheridan, K Fannin; B Watters, P Reilly, J McCutcheon; L Mulvey, J Cunningham; M Reilly, R Donohoe, A Forde; J O'Reilly, E O'Reilly, S Johnston.