Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Nutrition advisers,Fitness advisors for Training and Advisors for Games so ive heard C4ever.

Mr. Pain

Powerade, schmowerade! You can't teach a turd how to play the piano. If you don't got the skills you just gotta put in the work. No Pain, no gain! Even that might not do it for you. Small area, Munterconnacht. Ya gotta deal with emigration, college and foremost; neighbouring catchment areas. Are Templeport going down this year? If not then why should the likes of, say, Ballyhaise reserves be relegated or any other team for that matter? What will happen next year when a team finishes bottom? I say Templeport to finish bottom again and the "Munchies" to piss blue Powerade all year and do no better than last year. Oh and good luck to Ballinagh, you will be sick of football when the year starts again. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Mr. Pain on January 25, 2008, 02:46:48 PM
Powerade, schmowerade! You can't teach a turd how to play the piano. If you don't got the skills you just gotta put in the work. No Pain, no gain! Even that might not do it for you. Small area, Munterconnacht. Ya gotta deal with emigration, college and foremost; neighbouring catchment areas. Are Templeport going down this year? If not then why should the likes of, say, Ballyhaise seniors be relegated or any other team for that matter? What will happen next year when a team finishes bottom? I say Templeport to finish bottom again and the "Munchies" to piss blue Powerade all year and do no better than last year. Oh and good luck to Ballinagh, you will be sick of football when the year starts again. Rant over!

Templeport knew before the last game of year that they would not be relegated

mylestheslasher

Just want to wish the 'nagh the best of luck in the semi final. I won't be around myself but might tune into Northern Sound (God help me!). The argument of them being a senior club is a load of crap too. Look around the other counties for example and you'll find lots of examples of this. When knockbride won the jnr all ireland they went up to snr champ and league in 2 years. Does that mean they should give their all ireland medals back? The nagh can only go out and beat what is in front of them and fair fucks that is what they have done. If a few other cavan teams could do the same we might be in business.

Mr. Pain

Actually i meant Ballyhaise reserves you fool. They were relegated, not the seniors.
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Mr. Pain on January 25, 2008, 04:36:24 PM
Actually i meant Ballyhaise reserves you fool. They were relegated, not the seniors.

Easy tiger  :-*

mylestheslasher

Was looking at the Northern Ireland soccer highlights yesterday cos I couldn't get to sleep and had run out of sleeping pills and who did I see playing for Armagh City only the bold Cian Mackey. They lost 2-1 to Linfield with mackey having their only 2 chances of the game, shooting narowly wide for one after out pacing the entire defence and then squaring for a team mate to score. He looked a better soccer player than Gaelic to me. Does that mean he is finished with Cavan?

Down had a comfortable win in the McKenna cup yesterday and judging by the size of the crowd and the mini pitch invasion at the end it seemed that it mattered a lot to them. I think it puts cavans performace against them in a good light in the semi final.

anglocelt39

Myles, I just don't know how a lad like Mackey could turn his back on Cavan GAA for the short grass game, think of all the stuff he would lose out on, including the option to log onto this page the odd time to see what sort of shit keyboard jockey knobs like you and I are hilariously trying to hang on him this week. Youngsters these days, they just have no appreciation of the finer things in life.

Our eternal optimist Cavan Maniac, he who forever thinks this is the year for the breakthrough at Under 21 level regardless of what sort of humiliation was visited upon the corresponding minor outfit, seems particularly upbeat at our chances in the grade this year. The "names" on the equivalent minor team were Mackey and Flanagan. A key guy who was sprung during the minor clashes with Down was Cillian Sheridan, currently wearing the number 19 Junior B jersey with Celtic. Interesting.

Finally, good performance against Down, the ultimate is we lost by conceding a lot of scores. Meanwhile our goals were from two half backs. We seem to have a long and on-going history of picking fellas in the back line, particularly half back line, on the basis of what they can do with the ball in hand rather than what they can do to stop to other fella playing-Forde, Peter Reilly, Brides, Fannin. Now it looks like we are going the same way with Martin Reilly, McCutcheon, Watters. Michael Hannon seems to be one of the few stick to them like shite to a blanket all out defenders we have, I hope the reason he ain't around is that he is playing with DIT. That's why I think Dermot Sheridan should get a go-out and out defender playing colleges at a good level.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

CoillyG

A week to go to the opener. I think we are coming along nicely. For all the negative comments Keogan has brought on a right few lads and deserves credit. Big problems in mid field still though. Personally I feel maybe Martin Reilly at wing forward would be an option to win possesion. He seems wasted inside and as stated he is one of the few men on the team who can kick points from distance.

As for Ballinagh, they really showed their true colours today. Thanks lads for shaming the county. At leat ye will make the papers

CC1

Quote from: CoillyG on January 27, 2008, 06:44:22 PM
As for Ballinagh, they really showed their true colours today. Thanks lads for shaming the county. At leat ye will make the papers
I wasn't at the game so maybe I'm uninformed of what all happened. But I heard that none of the players were involved, just supporters? If that is the case I think you should retract what you've just said. Every town and parish has its nuts. I am pretty sure there were a few people from Ballinagh that hadn't been to a game before at that game yesterday and it could well have been one of them involved, no one knows. Don't tar everybody with the same brush, that is grossly unfair on the Ballinagh club.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

cavan4ever

Could end up in a big fine for the club especially if he is  a member of club.   

Anyways hard luck to Ballinagh im sure the players will enjoy a short break now.   

Hollow Man

This "Get Sean McCormack on to the county team" internet campaign is getting ridiculous and is frankly embarrassing.

Between hogan stand and this site (not so bad on this site anymore), you'd swear he was Darren Fay.

mylestheslasher

Match Report From Hoganstand.com - No mention of a fracas or assault on Umpire. No mention of Gaynors red card. I'm sure the Ballinagh posters will give us the details but I am hearing that Gaynor got a straight red and that a club member struck the linesman and was questioned by the gardai. Sorry end to what was a great year for Ballinagh.

Ballinagh fail in bid for All-Ireland club final place
28 January 2008

Cavan IFC title-holders, Ballinagh failed in their bid for a place in this season's All-Ireland IFC final when on Sunday 27th January at Pairc Tailteann, Navan they were narrowly defeated by the Dublin and Leinster champions, Fingal Ravens on a scoreline of 0-11 to 0-8.

As predicted this was a close and competitive encounter from start to finish with very little between two determined sides. The Dublin side started the game well and by the tenth minute they were ahead by four points to nil. Ballinagh then began to settle and by the half-time break they were right back in the game and trailing by 0-6 to 0-4.

The Cavan champions started the second-half in determined mood and in the opening minutes they were on level terms with points from Colin Gumley and Adrian Maguire. Ballinagh were now playing with confidence, however a lack of sharpness in front of goal denied them scores as they put the Ravens under pressure. In the closing minutes the Dublin side upped their performance and went ahead by three points with five minutes of the game remaining.

Ballinagh 'threw caution to the wind' in the closing minutes and were rewarded when sub Kevin Smith reduced the leeway to two points. Both teams then went in search of scores and exchanged points in a two minute spell. In the dying minutes Ballinagh almost got in for the goal that could have given them the spoils. However, it wasn't to be, and the Leinster and Dublin champions held out for a deserved three points win with the last score of the game from Gary Brennan in the 65th minute.

The Ballinagh side were very disappointed at the end of the game. It was a match they could have got something from. However, the slow start plus some poor marksmanship in their period of dominance in the second-half proved their undoing in the end. They more than matched the Fingal Ravens side in every facet of the game except on the scoreboard, and it must be said they gave of their best in what was a very competitive and exciting game that 'went to the wire.'

Ballinagh - Darragh McCarthy; K. McBride, C. Brady, A. Duffy; N. O'Reilly, P. O'Reilly, D. McInerney; Adrian Maguire 0-1, Cian McDermott; C. Gumley 0-2, Declan Baird 0-2, D. Finnegan 0-1; Niall McDermott 0-1, A. Gaynor, P. Galligan.
Subs - Kevin Smith for Paul Galligan; T. Smith for D. Beard.

Fingal Ravens - D. Mitchell; J. Boland, K. McGrath, S. Maxwell; C. Prenderville, D. Daly 0-1, M. White; K. Kavanagh 0-1, P. Brennan; I. Rooney, N. Tormey 0-2, D. Flanagan; K. Norton 0-2, I. Kavanagh 0-3, S. Madigan.
Subs - S. Arthurs for D. Flanagan; G. Brennan 0-2 for P. Brennan; R. Norton for S. Madigan; J. Morris for I. Rooney; D. Kavanagh for K. Kavanagh.

Referee - D. Hunter (Roscommon).

Homer

Right lads before I go on to the football, this is everything I know and an honest account.

With two minutes of normal time left an umpire alerted the attention of the referee, after a quick consultation the ref came back out the field and brandished Anthony Gaynor a red card (I'm honestly not sure was the card for verbal abuse or striking etc, unfortunately history would suggest that Anthony was hardly an innocent party). Gaynor then began to head in the umpire's direction and started remonstrating with him about why he was sent off. One of our selectors ran around to the goals and pulled Anthony away and they headed for the sideline. As he was doing so a Ballinagh spectator made his way onto the pitch and struck the umpire. The match remained underway as a Garda who was present at the game caught up with the assaulter and arrested him.

I would like to point out that the man in question has always been thought of by the vast majority of Ballinagh people as a maniac and I hope he never graces a GAA grounds again. It is also looking like the club will now face a hefty fine too.

There was also a fraca when the final whistle blew. One of our younger lads was getting a goading from a ravens player and the two became involved in a tussle and some fisty-cuffs ensued with a couple of more players from both sides joining in. However IMHO most of the players that ran in were doing so to pull boys out of it and it wasn't the free for all that it is being described as and was soon separated.

Now as for the football...

Ballinagh were very slow out of the blocks and after ten minutes Fingal had raced into a 4 point lead with Ballinagh yet to register a score.

Ballinagh finally got off to a start and began exerted some dominance on the game as they clawed back the lead. The sides exchanged further scores but Ballinagh proved very wasteful and scourned far too many chances and left the half time score 0-6 to 0-4 to the Dublin outfit, with Ballinagh kicking 11 wides to Fingals 1.

It was Ballinagh's turn to start quickest in the second half and soon found themselves on level terms. Ballinagh continued to have the better of their opponents but again failed to capitalise and the chance to take the lead slipped away. Fingal eventually came back into the game and proved far more clinical in front of the posts stretching the lead to 3 points.

Ballinagh pushed forward and saw one close range effort roll across the goals and wide. Shortly after this a quick interchange saw Anthony Gaynor bearing down on goal but he was taken out just outside the 14 and Ballinagh had to settle with the point to leave it 0-8 to 0-10 with a minute or two of ordinary time to play.

Gaynor was then sent off and the final minutes were played out amid pandemonium as Ballinagh went in search of a goal, and all the while the off pitch antics were kicking off.

With Ballinagh a man down they struggled to open up the Ravens defense to find the goal they desperately needed and Fingal eventually closed the deal with another point. Full-time Fingal Ravens 0-11 Ballinagh 0-8.

Fingal obviously had a lot of homework done on Ballinagh and successfully employed a lot of spoiling tactics throughout the game. Every time Ballinagh looked to be on a break they would foul and lie down for a few minutes and whereas the rule in Ulster football states that the game should continue provided it isn't a head injury, in yesterdays game this wasn't the case and the game was inundated with stoppages that really killed any momentum Ballinagh tried to build up and frustrated the hell out of them.

That said Ballinagh just didn't fire on all cylinders and had their chances but Fingal were fully deserved of their victory.

Cian McDermott was a class act in midfield yesterday, with Podge also showing some great stuff. Niall McDermott again showed some brilliant moments but he could have been given more protection from the referee.

Have to say I doubt Mr. Keoghan's plans for 2008 will include Gaynor now.

As Myles has said a very disappointing end to a great year but I hope the wiser folk on here will bare in mind that one swallow doesn't make a summer.

I'm still very proud of the team for all their achievements and I'm sure they can learn from the experience and go on to greater things.

mylestheslasher

I see TG4 have delayed transmission of the Cavan Armagh match next Sunday...

http://www.tg4.ie/Spor/week.htm

I think we are in with a chance of winning this one with the Crossmaglen players missing and a Armagh team that is in transition. In fact I think it could be critical for our survival in Div 2 that we do win it.