Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Simon Delaney is a goalkeeper from Killinkere alright...
my team would be

1.Simon Delaney(Killinkere)
2.Fergal Slowey(Ballyhaise)
3.Sean McCormack(Ballyhaise)
4.Enda McCormack(Drumalee)
5.Dermot Sheridan(Mullahoran)
6.Padraic Reily(Ballinagh) Captain
7.Finbar Jordan(Lavey)
8.Michael McDonald(Drumgoon)
9.Ray Cullivan(Ballyhaise)
10.Cian Mackey(Castlerahan)
11.Darragh Gaffney(Drumalee)
12.Raymond Galligan(Lacken)
13.Martin Reily(Killygarry)
14.Alan Clarke(Kingscourt)
15.Ronan Flanagan(Castlerahan)

Being a Ballyhaise man i think Sean McCormack if on form is a definite on the under 21 team....he was outstanding all year for us
Podge could have more of an impact on the game at CHB in my opinion.
Gearoid Collins is an outstanding footballer,and should get on the team if as you say he shows some form...But he was only after returning from the US last year so was only on the Gaels Junior team.
Anton Reily was playing CHB for Ramor this year....he could be another option back there...
was impressed with McDonald when we played them in the league......I think a big 6'3 plus midfielder who can catch and is fairly mobile..something i didnt expect him to be is a necessity seeing as Ray Cullivan alongside him is only around the 6 foot mark.
Gaffney and Galligan would give us skill and ball winning ability in the half forward line...if i remember correctly Delaney has a big kickout on him.
I think Full Forward is Alan Clarkes best position.
Our teams are pretty similar though.
Gunne and Ali Pickett would have been two great options as Cornerforwards...they unfortunately must not be interested.

anglocelt39

Just a thought, hear he played super football at full forward in a few club matches this year. Put him in there to focus on getting and creating scores, with not quite the same emphasis on big tackles. Is that a possible. I know I would love to see him at CHB where we really need some controlled aggression, however the controlled bit seems to escape the lad a fair bit. Just an idea.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavan4ever

Here we have a new county board chairman, anyone have any news from last nite?

cavan4ever

Does anyone have any news on the county team.  When is first mckenna cup game been played?

Homer

McKenna cup fixtures

A run down on the Dr McKenna Cup Fixtures for 2007.

All games at 2.00 p.m. (Extra time to be played in Semi finals & Final)
(Venues to be confirmed)

7th Jan: Round 1: Section A
1. St. Mary's v 2. Armagh at Crossmaglen
3. Fermanagh v 4. Monaghan at Lisnaskea

Section B
1. Derry v 2. Cavan at Celtic Park
3. Queens University v 4. Tyrone at Omagh

Section C
1. Donegal v 2. UUJ at Ballyshannon
3. Down v 4. Antrim at Newcastle

14th Jan: Round 2: Section A
2. Armagh v 3. Fermanagh at Crossmaglen
4. Monaghan v 1. St. Mary's at Castleblayney

Section B
2. Cavan v 3. Queens University at Cavan
4. Tyrone v 1. Derry at Omagh

Section C
2. UUJ v 3. Down at Newcastle
4. Antrim v 1. Donegal at Casement Park

21st Jan: Round 3: Section A
1. St. Mary's v 3. Fermanagh at Irvinestown
2. Armagh v 4. Monaghan at Castleblaney

Section B
1. Derry v 3. Queens University at Celtic Park
2. Cavan v 4. Tyrone at Cavan

Section C
1. Donegal v 3. Down at Ballybofey
2. UUJ v 4. Antrim at Casement Park

28th Jan: Semi Finals:
(1) Winner of Section C v Winner of Section A
(2) Winner of Section B v 4th Placed Team

18th February; Final:
1 v 2

Haven't heard anything with regards news with the squad tho, without podge or gaynor in there, my sources are limited. On the bright side we have 2 home games in the cup and the Derry match is being televised live on TG4. I can only see the real die-hards making the trip to celtic park now.

Homer

As a matter of interest Philip Smith our new county board Chairman works with Kingspan doesn't he?

BallyhaiseMan

Jaysus TG4 are starting televising McKenna Cup matches  :o
Good stuff...

BallyhaiseMan

Hopes and aspirations of new Cavan Co. Board Chairman From Hoganstand
20 December 2006

Hopes and aspirations of new Cavan Co. Board Chairman
The newly elected Cavan Co. Board Chairman Phil Smith from the Kingscourt Stars GFC has put forward his own ideas and views on how he sees Cavan progressing at all levels in the coming years. As the 21st Chairman of the Co. Board he said he hoped to meet whatever task he undertook with enthusiasm and passion in order to achieve success on the playing fields and to continue the excellent work in various aspects of the association within the county.
He said one of his objectives was that county teams in all grades would be able to compete with the best in Ulster. This could only be achieved through the schools and colleges with the support of teachers, progressing to the development squads and ultimately county representation, all being facilitated by the county's full-time coaches.
The eventual target, he said, would be to put Cavan back on the football map where they rightfully belonged.

"Looking forward to improving competitiveness on the local club scene'' – Phil Smith
On club football in the Breffni county, Co. Board Chairman Phil Smith asked clubs to look at the new proposals with a view to standardising the fixtures, giving more competitiveness to the competitions in both league and championship and a master fixtures plan for all grades. The involvement of the Youth Board, colleges, second-level schools into the planning of fixtures is also vitally important he said. These matters will be the subject for discussion at the first meeting of the Co. Board in January.
As he begins his term in office, Phil Smith said the GAA was about the clubs of the county, and those who play their games or administer the rules and regulations. He said he was taking over his new role with enthusiasm and needed the support from the clubs if he was to carry out his functions in the most effective manner.

Former Chairman speaks on Task Force recommendations
George Cartwright in his final address as Chairman of Cavan Co. Board GAA spoke about the recommendations of the task force which had been set up in October last to look at the various competitions and structures. These recommendations were sent out to the clubs and will be the subject of debate at the first Co. Board meeting in January 2007.
He also referred to Cavan's strategic plan during 2006 when a number of officers came together in conjunction with expertise from the Ulster Council to draw up a strategic plan for the county for the next five years.
This though was being carried out in every club in Ulster and, said Cartwright, in Cavan plans proposed some five years ago, with the exception of success on the playing fields, had been realised.
The clubs were being asked for a major imput into this 5-year plan and each had received a questionnaire which sets the process rolling. An important workshop will be held on Saturday, 27th January in Hotel Kilmore at 10 a.m. Three delegates from each club must attend, the chairman, secretary and one other person.
He said what will be discussed at this meeting are the needs, issues and priorities facing Cavan over the next five years.
Cartwright appealed to clubs to follow the example of the county plan and to strongly consider putting a plan in place for consideration. Matters like how do you see your club in five years time; will the game still be as attractive to the youth; will young people see gaelic games as still an important part of their lives; how will clubs integrate International newcomers into their clubs.
He said this club plan should be based on sound planning and a determination to maintain and strengthen the GAA and the wider community it serves.

"Major changes in disciplinary measures,'' says Cartwright
Major changes in disciplinary measures will come into effect from 1st January, 2007 to the current disciplinary rules and procedures. These changes follow a comprehensive review by a high-powered Task Force comprising some of the best legal eagles and GAA gurus in the country.
Cartwright said he thought these changes were quite radical and would require a long period of adjustment. The objective of the changes was that players, clubs and members would have ample opportunity to be heard in their defence if disciplinary action is brought against them, while ensuring that where misconduct or other breaches of rule have taken place those responsible would be made accountable and would not escape on technicalities.
He said the Co. Board would organise a briefing meeting after the first Co. Board meeting in January at which the learning curve could begin.

Cavan Co. Board Treasurer Tom Boylan reasonably happy with state of finances
Looking back on 2006 from a financial point of view, Cavan Co. Board Treasurer Tom Boylan expressed himself reasonably happy. With expenditure reaching an all-time high of §1.4m, nevertheless the year ended showed a small deficit of slightly over §2,600.
Income for the year was §1,362,802 which was up §183,000 on the previous year. Expenditure was §1,365,464 up §125,000 on the previous year. The main reason for the increase was fund-raising which went from §65,000 to §193,344 in 2006, an increase of 34%.
Boylan paid tribute to the Supporters Club in Dublin for the continued hard work in fund-raising which culminated in a figure of §30,000. The Dublin-based supporters club also assisted in travel and hotel expenses for county team training in Dublin.
Boylan said the Corporate Night was a new fund-raising venture organised under the chairmanship of Liam McCabe. He praised McCabe and his committee for making such an outstanding success and bringing in a profit of almost §170,000.
Commercial income and transfer income also showed substantial increases from the previous year. He paid tribute to the sponsors for their continued support and in particular the main county team sponsor Kingspan Group plc and associate sponsor Donal Keogan.
On transfer income, Boylan mentioned that travelling and hotel expenses from Ulster and Central Council amounted to §42,000; All-Ireland qualifiers §40,000, and coaching and games development §144,000. On expenditure, the county team expenditure and administration amounted to 62% of the total expenditure.
In relation to county team spending, Tom Boylan said more control was required and expenditure should be kept within bud-get. He anticipated that under the new management expenditure in the coming year will come within budget.
He paid tribute to Bernie Lynch, clerical officer in Breffni Park; Liam McCabe and Martin Cahill, the Treasurers of the Minor Board, Schools Board and Scor; stewards who helped not only in Kingspan-Breffni Park, Cavan but also at venues throughout the county.
He also thanked former Chairman George Cartwright and former Central Council representative Phil Brady for their support during their period in office.

highking

Lads,

Can an of yee answer this question.

2) Before the newly appointed Donal Keoghan, who was the last Cavan native to manage the Breffni senior footballers?

Highking

CavanCola

CavanCola

But then again... Damien O'Reilly did take over for a few league games after Machugh left as Temporary manager (Maybe this didn't count as being fully flegded but he did serve!).

Highking,
This is from the Hoganstand quiz thread?? Could be a controversial question in my opinion.

cavanmaniac

And when McHugh took a winter break at Xmas 96 before coming back and leading us to glory in Ulster, Donal Donoghue I think took over for the first few league games in which we were roundly spanked if I recall correctly.

But the last official, full-time Cavan boss was definitely PJ Carroll whose last campaign was in 1993 prior to McHugh's takeover in time for the 1994 win over Antrim, which was, back then, our first championship win in 7 attempts or something.

Incidentally, in googling that to check my facts, I came across two articles on hoganstand from the early 90s which might interest Cavan readers:

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=48467

and

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=41945

CavanCola

great articles  indeed Cavan Maniac! Jim Reilly was one of the best. Another name in there was the mention of the tenacious Pat Faulkner. Pure Legend. Those lads were part of a very solid team that never made a real breakthrough. I can remember sitting in the Hogan stand with my Dad watching that Cavan Meath match in 84. Meath emerged from that competition to dominate football for a long time.

Agree with you on PJ Carroll as Last real official Cavan manager

lynchbhoy

Best of luck to all my Cavan pals in the new year.

I'll be shipping in a turkey to Cavan again this Christmas as I bring Christmas cheer (and dinner) to those more unfortunate ..
(i.e less willing to pay for it !)
;)

cavanmaniac

A turkey from Derry? It's not Enda Muldoon is it? ;D

Happy Christmas Lynchbhoy, we know you're a Cavan wannabe at heart!

Re: Pat Faulkner and co, you're right that this side underachieved slightly. I remember Faulkner at no.14 against Moanaghan in '86, fisted two points in that 0-12 to 0-10 victory. I still recall the Irish Press backpage screamer headline the next day - CAVAN ROCK MONAGHAN. Sweet. That was my first ever championship game and it couldn't have been better even if I didn't understand too much about it all at the time.

I don't remember Jim Reilly too much to be honest.But I recall John Brady from Laragh playing two absolute stormers in the league quarter-final and semi-final in '89, that team really looked to have potential but as usual, when championship came around it just didn't happen for us.

King in his prime, Reilly too, Pat Faulkner, the lads off the All-Ireland final U21 team....we shoulda been contenders. Let's hope history doesn't keep perpetuating itself.

Up Cavan.