Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

From Indo...

Cavan victory ends Monaghan hopes
Cavan 0-15 Monaghan 1-9
Dr McKenna Cup
Monday January 07 2008

CAVAN'S first game of 2008 was marked by a victory over old rivals Monaghan at Kingspan Breffni Park. The result meant the elimination of Monaghan from the competition as this was their second defeat, but signalled progress for Cavan and team manager Donal Keogan.

More than 2,000 fans watched as managers Seamus McEnaney and Keogan chose to experiment, Monaghan starting just two regulars while Cavan included five.

Cavan gradually got on top and points from Rory Donohoe, Jason Reilly, Martin Reilly and Ryan McCormack put them 0-6 to 0-2 ahead by the 26th minute.

Five minutes before half-time a shot from Monaghan's Daniel McNally was deflected to the net by Owen Duffy and Cavan's lead was cut to one point. Cavan recovered and led at half-time, 0-9 to 1-2.

Two points from Daniel McNally reduced Cavan's advantage to two points but the home side responded with points from Eddie Reilly, Jason Reilly and two from Martin Reilly to lead by six points with 15 minutes left.

Although Monaghan made a big effort in the closing stages, Cavan always looked as if they had something in reserve and a three-point win was thoroughly deserved.

A satisfied Keogan said: "Any time you beat Monaghan it is a good day. We have been training hard over the winter months and have been doing some early Sunday morning stints at 8 o'clock. We have done six or seven of these sessions."

Scorers -- Cavan: J Reilly 0-4, M Reilly and R McCormack 0-3 each, R Donohoe and E Reilly 0-2 each, M McKeever 0-1. Monaghan: O Duffy 1-1, T Freeman 0-3, D McNally 0-2, L McAdam, C McManus and G McQuaid 0-1 each.

Cavan: J Carolan, C Hannon, John Clark, K Fannin, J McCutcheon, P O'Reilly, D Rooney, D Gaffney, M McKeever, James Clark, R Donohoe, M Reilly, R McCormack, E Reilly, J Reilly. Subs: M Lyng for D Rooney 43, A Clark for C Hannon 44, N Walsh for E Reilly 59, C Smith for R McCormack 68, A Fitzpatrick for J Clark 70.

Monaghan: P McBennett, C Flanaghan, C Hughes, M Duffy, G McEneaney, S Mulligan, S Fitzpatrick, J Kingham, M Daly, M McIlroy, L McAdam, C McManus, O Duffy, D Mone, D McNally. Subs: J P Mone for J Kingham 24, G McQuaid for S Fitzpatrick and R Woods for M Duffy half-time, T Freeman for M McIlroy 45, D McArdle for D McNally 49.

cavan4ever

Was very suprised to see Barry Watters coming on yesterday our management still haven't learned their lesson on how to treat the young players, but id say he was only there beacuse of injuries and the other lads with college teams.

Homer

Great report there HaiseMan. A few of my own comments to add

1. James Carolan - maybe could of been nearer the post for the goal but would still have been difficult to stop.

2. Colm Hannon - looked fairly skeptic to me but thankfully this went unnoticed to Monaghan who failed to target his man enough. As BallyhaiseMan said looked rather unfit.

3. John Clarke - had a decent debut at full-back but I did notice that every time a ball came into his man he would fly in, in an effort to break the ball away and end up on his arse. This tactic worked ok yesterday as he did achieve in either breaking the ball or pushing his man out but I can only imagine what the likes of Benny Coulter would do to him in the same situation. Loves to hit a shoulder though.

4. Keith Fannin - as BHM mentioned played well especially when he followed his man out the field.

5. John McCutcheon - see BHM comments

6. Podge - looked solid at CHB and done well to snuff out Freeman when he came on but I'd like to see him drive forward more. However I'm sure the game will give him confidence and he will soon bring this more into his game.

7. David Rooney - looked out of his depth and will need a lot more football at that standard if he is to adapt.

8. Mark McKeever - was outstanding yesterday. Fielding, breaking, passing, running, tackling, he really looked a class apart. Having said that I would still have strong reservations about him playing midfield come the ulster championship but I'd imagine the position is temporary.

9. Declan Gaffney - looked another decent prospect. Doesn't seem to get very airborn when fielding but his height and reach seemed to make up for that yesterday. Will need to impose himself more on the game other than the fielding aspect.

10. James Clarke - hasn't relinquished his lightening pace but unfortunatley, nor his abilty to just run blindly with the ball. Seemed to be struggling fitness wise towards the end.

11. Rory Donohoe - just doesn't seem to have a forward's head on his shoulders. Made too many poor decisions.

12. Martin Reilly - good game, always lively and kicked some nice scores with one monster free from 50 yards.

13. Jason Reilly - see BHM comments

14. Eddie Reilly - tried hard and always made himself available but it rarely came off for him. Kicked a great point but scourned some desperate frees early.

15. Ryan McCormack - started very quietly but came into the game after he converted he resumed free taking duties from Eddie. Should take confidence from the game and hopefully progress.

Subs

Alan Clarke - needs to play the ball more, tried to give everyone a shoulder, not that any of them where effective.

Barry Watters - Very slick player and as BHM says done well going forward. However he is to light for this grade (or at least defence at this grade) and this was evident when his man easily rounded him for a late point.

Nicolas Walsh - see Alan Clarke (replace shoulder with punch)

Conor Smith - Seems to have put on a lot of weight, looked sluggish.

All in all an encouraging performance from an experimental Cavan side.

AOB

Podge and Gaynor are now unavailable to the county until finished with Ballinagh now.

Finbar Reilly picked up an injury during the week and thus was not togged out.

Dermot Sheridan was also due to tog out but altough uninjured he was rested after his car skidded into a ditch that morning.

Won't be making it to Belfast myself either  :-\

Mr. Pain

Mr. Pain wasn't at the Cavan match because his little cat Snuggles had a cold and had to be looked after. However, from different reports, he feels he can comment. It's always good to win but i believe the two teams that played yesterday will be nothing like the teams that will line out come championship. Some guys should have never been brought back into the panel (Mr. Clarke). McCutcheon is not a wing half back, he would be better in the centre or midfield. Ah i could go on but i couldn't be bothered. Falling asleep at the computer................................................rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

CavanCola

Mr Pain,
I felt the pain of having to listen to the match on the way back to Dublin on Northern sound. I now know the complete history of the McKenna cup competition, the names of just about everyone that is in Lisdarn at present and the bishop of clogher at some point in time when the McKenna cup started out. Also I can break the good news that iniskeen are thinking about challenging Maghera McFinns in a reinactment of some match that happened before 1888. Quality information. As for the match I think Cavan won. ::)
CavanCola

Mr. Pain

Fizzy Drink,

I'm with you there, it's torturous. You don't even know the score until nearly the end of the game with scores being kicked as he talks about somebody's neighbour's sister's brother-in-law's uncle's ex-wife's medal in arts and crafts when she was 10. Riveting stuff!

Mr. Pain

That's a fine booty you got there!

cavanmaniac

Quote from: CavanCola on January 07, 2008, 04:13:15 PM
Mr Pain,
I felt the pain of having to listen to the match on the way back to Dublin on Northern sound. I now know the complete history of the McKenna cup competition, the names of just about everyone that is in Lisdarn at present and the bishop of clogher at some point in time when the McKenna cup started out. Also I can break the good news that iniskeen are thinking about challenging Maghera McFinns in a reinactment of some match that happened before 1888. Quality information. As for the match I think Cavan won. ::)
CavanCola

:D

LackenLegend

How's it goin lads? Just want to say well done to the Cavan Junior B handball team who won the All-Ireland before Xmas. There wasn,t much said about it.
Timmmmy!

An Laoch

There's nothing about it any of the usual places, but does anyone here know if the Fermanagh v Armagh game is still going ahead tonight at Breffni Park - 8.00? It might take a wander down and see how they're shaping up.

Homer

Disappointing defeat last night, here is a quick report from an Antrim perspective....

Quote from: hardstation on January 10, 2008, 12:15:53 AM
Antrim 0-10
Cavan 0-09
Brutal match. Lucky to be drawing at half time. Most of the first half scores came from frees. Kevin McGourty was moved into full forward from centre three quarters and had a goal chance when he went through, one on one with the 'keeper. He blasted it straight at the Cavan goalie who did well to knock it to safety. Cavan went up the pitch and had a one on one with Sean McGreavey. The Cavan forward went for the same plan as McGourty and McGreavey was equal to it. McGourty and his marker were booked a minute after receiving a warning from the ref for off the ball antics.
Antrim started very well in the second half and started winning a lot of ball around the middle. They raced into a 3 point lead with the score of the night going to substitute, Conor Murray. Antrim were cruising mid way through the second half but took their foot off the pedal and Cavan capitalised by knocking over a run of points. Cavan, who were now dominating the middle of the park with Joe Quinn struggling to get into the game, had another one on one with the Antrim 'keeper. McGreavey made a fantastic save to deny them. It was a very tight finish to the game and it looked like a draw was on the cards when Cavan got a free from about 40. Luckily for Antrim, it hit the outside of the post and went wide. That was it.
Neither team impressed but a win is a win.

Anybody hear anything more?

cavanmaniac

From the Fenian News:

Slick Saffrons get off to winning start
Dr McKenna Cup Group C: Antrim 0-10 Cavan 0-9
From Tony McGee at Casement Park
10/01/08

ANTRIM chalked up a deserved win over Cavan in a Dr McKenna Cup battle that never really got out of third gear, though the Saffrons will be happy to get their first points on the board.
Both teams tried to make the contest interesting, but play never really rose above the mediocre. However, the scores were always close, with the teams level three times in the first half and at the break.
Defences were mostly on top, with the bulk of the scores coming from placed balls. In the opening half, the visitors looked the more lively side but failed to make use of their possession and didn't repeat their accuracy of last Sunday's win over Monaghan.
At midfield, Joe Quinn held sway for the home side and that helped to give the Antrim attack a fair supply of the ball in the second half.
Despite Cavan's outfield dominance, the sides went in level at half-time, 0-5 to 0-5, as the Breffni boys shot five wides to Antrim's two.
It was Jason Reilly who opened the scoring in the first minute and Cavan were 0-3 to 0-1 ahead after 10 minutes, but points from Michael McCann and Niall Doyle (free) had the game all square on 15 minutes.
Ryan McCormack sent over his second free-kick and Eddie O'Reilly cut nicely inside to put Cavan in control again, but they failed to raise a flag for the closing 16 minutes of the first half while points from Niall Doyle (free) and a long range effort from Michael Magill levelled the argument for the third time.
Antrim turned on the power play on the restart and went 0-8 to 0-5 ahead with two pointed frees by McCann and a point from play by substitute Conor Murray.
After a barren 29 minutes, Martin Reilly popped a Cavan free over the bar to close the gap to two points but McCann struck two frees to keep the scent of victory in Antrim's nostrils.
Reilly kept the visitors in the game with two more points from placed balls to leave just two points in the match.
The visitors now sensed victory, and when half-back John McCutcheon sent over another point the minimum separated the sides at 0-10 to 0-9. The chance for an equaliser fell to Martin Reilly two minutes from time, but his effort from a placed ball came off the post and seconds later he sent another effort from play wide.
The teams will meet again at Casement Park in the Ulster Championship next May, and while this result gives Antrim a boost, neither team will put much stock into last night's scoreline when the real action hots up.

MATCH STATS
Antrim: S McGreevy; T Scullion, P Doherty, A McLean; L Carland, E O'Neill, S Kelly; B Hasson, J Quinn; T O'Neill, J McGourty, S McVeigh; M McCann (0-5, four frees), M Magill (0-1), N Doyle (0-3, all frees). Subs: C Murray (0-1) for Doyle, inj (40); G Crossey for McVeigh (53); M Cougan for Hasson (59).
Cavan: James Reilly; D Rooney, John Clarke, K Fannin; J McCutcheon (0-2), A Forde, A Clarke; D Gaffney, M McKeever; James Clarke, R Donohue, M Reilly (0-3, all frees); R McCormack (0-2, both frees), E Reilly (0-1), Jason Reilly (0-1). Subs: A Fitzpatrick for McCormack (52); B Watters for A Clarke (53).
Ref: E O'Hare (Down)

BallyhaiseMan

James Reilly; D Rooney, John Clarke, K Fannin; J McCutcheon (0-2), A Forde, A Clarke; D Gaffney, M McKeever; James Clarke, R Donohue, M Reilly (0-3, all frees); R McCormack (0-2, both frees), E Reilly (0-1), Jason Reilly (0-1). Subs: A Fitzpatrick for McCormack (52); B Watters for A Clarke (53).

well what these games obviously tell us is

James Clarke isnt up to it at inter county level

I have grave doubts about John Clarke aswell.

John McCutcheon,Declan Gaffney and Ryan McCormack,Alan Clarke and indeed Barry Watters(although in my opinion its a year too early for him) have played their way into the reckoning for the National League.

mylestheslasher

Ryan McCormack has a way  to go I think. Was talking to a lad that went to  the game and he said McCormack wasn't in it really, both his scores from frees. Austin Fitz came on for him after 50 mins and played well. I think Austin will get a start next day to see what he is like. But I suppose it is very very early days yet. Any word on McCabe - I hear rumours he has to have operations following his injury in the county final.

shotstopper1

From Indo

Johnston the hero for DCU
DCU 1-14 Louth 0-11

Friday January 11 2008

Fast-starting DCU were too strong for Louth in last night's O'Byrne Cup clash in Darver to set themselves up for a joust with Offaly on Sunday.

The Dublin College registered the first five scores of the game, three of them falling to Cavan star Seanie Johnston who was ably supported in attack by Shane Smith and Conor Mortimer.

DCU established a 0-10 to 0-3 lead at the break.

Ronan Carroll and Brian White lead a Louth charge in the second-half, however, hopes of a Louth comeback were dashed in the 63rd minute when DCU's Cathal Gregg struck for the only goal of the game to seal the victory.

Scorers -- DCU: C Mortimer (0-5, two frees), S Johnston (0-4, two frees), C Gregg (1-0), S Smith (0-2), R Flanagan (0-1, free), D Kelly (0-1).

Louth: B White (0-4, two frees), R Carroll (0-2), M Stanfield (0-2, one free), D Finnegan (0-1), P Matthews (0-1), D Clarke (0-1).

DCU -- C Munnelly; P Andrews, D Sheridan, D Mooney; C Guckian, K Leahy, M McElhinney; F O¹Reilly, R Flanagan; D Keenan, S Smith, C Gregg; S Johnston C Mortimer D Kelly. Subs:, K Nolan for Guckian (half-time), C Rogers for Mortimer (53 mins.), W Mulhall for Johnston (60), D Walsh for Leahy (60), B Sheridan for O¹Reilly (64).

Louth -- S Connor; A Page, M Fanning, B McArdle; D Finnegan, C McGuinness, R Finnegan; R Carroll, P Mallon; A Reid, E Carroll, JJ Quigley; B White, M Stanfield, P Matthews. Subs: B Donnelly for Mallon, D Clarke for Reid, J Murray for Quigley, J Neary for Page (all half-time), Keith White for E Carroll (60).

Ref -- P Daly (Westmeath).

- Louth 0-11