Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

I believe this was the team that started against Fermanagh the last day.

1 James Reilly
2 Michael Brides
3 John Clarke
4 Keith Fannin
5 Martin Reilly
6 Padraic O'Reilly
7 John McCutcheon
8 Nicolas Walsh
9 Declan Gaffney
10 James Clarke
11 Mark McKeever
12 Anthony Forde
13 Eddie Reilly
14 Gerald Pierson
15 Jason Reilly

Clarke at full-back and young McCutcheon are suppose to have played well.
I've also heard that Johnny Crowe is not in this year but I don't know has he opted out or been dropped.

BallyhaiseMan how is Cullivans recovery coming along? Is he hoping to be fit for the u21 Championship?

BallyhaiseMan

hes back running and hes been lifting weights in The Gym for the last couple of months
Dont think he will be cleared to play Football for a few months yet though.
Under 21 championship would be touch and go id say..but nothing would suprise me,Hes an absolute animal.

John Clarke has probably been one of the best full backs in senior championship for past 3/4 years,shame they have left it until hes around the 30 mark to bring him in.
McCutcheon i dont know,ive seen the best and worst of him.
Gary Fernacombe of Drumalee or Declan McCabe of C'Lough or Alan Clarke of kingscourt id have before him at wing half back.
As you said i cant see James Clarke making it.

Hows Ballinaghs preparations for the all ireland going homer?

Homer

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 03, 2008, 09:00:57 PM
hes back running and hes been lifting weights in The Gym for the last couple of months
Dont think he will be cleared to play Football for a few months yet though.
Under 21 championship would be touch and go id say..but nothing would suprise me,Hes an absolute animal.

John Clarke has probably been one of the best full backs in senior championship for past 3/4 years,shame they have left it until hes around the 30 mark to bring him in.
McCutcheon i dont know,ive seen the best and worst of him.
Gary Fernacombe of Drumalee or Declan McCabe of C'Lough or Alan Clarke of kingscourt id have before him at wing half back.
As you said i cant see James Clarke making it.

Hows Ballinaghs preparations for the all ireland going homer?

Well it must be said they're training hard but its difficult to know how the momentum will hold up over the break.

Fingal Ravens are suppose to be a serious outfit who, like ourselves, have been knocking on the door of an intermediate championship for a few years. Although one could presume a marginally better standard in Dublin.

Mr. Pain

Has this Mr. Keogan guy seen a match in his life? That's some panel he has for the McKenna cup match. Crazy! Not enough big guys in there. Who is gonna deliver the Pain? Whatever big guy is in there is either at the end of his career with not much county experience or else bull**it. Gaynor will do. Bring back Morris and drag Trevor Crowe in. Break some bones. Our little weiners are no match for the Northerners come championship. Where is our little corner backs Terry Hyland and Joey Jordan? Terriers to the last. Should be given a shot. We need Pearson fully fit because he is our best hope in the forwards. McCabe fully fit is our No1 priority. Best player in Cavan this year. Some of the lads brought in wouldn't make it into a top Div1 team so why should they make the county team? Fitz, Doyle, M. Johnston etc. Thats my rant!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Homer

Can you post the panel Mr. Pain?

Cavanfan

That was some rant Mr. Pain, though I just have to say a few things.

Firstly, we're only in Jan and I'd say some of the panel might change. Sure can Gaynor play this weekend with his clubs upcoming match? I don't think any off the college boys will be playing either, so this leaves out Hannon, Flangan, Lyng, Sherdian to name but a few which is unfortunate. U say Pierson is the only guy for the forward line, I have no questions over his ability he is a great footballer, but is he committed to the job at hand. And if we get Jelly and Lyng fully fit this year it would be a good forward line. Lets give some of these boys a chance. I don't know what the story with Crowe is but he will be a loos if he doesn't come back into the panel. I don't really think you can judge how the season will go anyway on the McKenna Cup. Look at Micky Harte he's starting 7 debutants aswell. 

Mr. Pain

Quote from: Homer on January 04, 2008, 03:36:38 PM
It's in the Celt. Don't be lazy.

Fair point Cavan Fan. Gaynor is named in the panel. I hope Pearson commits because he is a class act when he plays well, which is most of the time. Jelly hasn't got the bottle or isn't tough enough. Lyng needs to be fully, and i mean fully, fit if he is to be an addition. There is talk of pulling colleges out of the cup again so hopefully we wont have this problem again. I guarantee Mickey Harte's debutants are of great quality, three i think from senior championship winning team Drumore. Trevor Crowe is not interested. Johnny Crowe might be injured, also a loss. McKenna Cup is about preparing for the league. A development panel is what a lot of these lads should be on, not giving them false hope and temporary big heads. Rant over!
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Cavanfan

Mr. Pain I totally agree with your idea of a developmental panel! 

mylestheslasher

What worries me most is that the team against Fermanagh - a development team, if you like - doesn't have one new forward on it. James Clarke being the only suprise and is unlikely to be much of a help later on. McKeever is not a ctr forward in my opinion, Jason is a impact sub for me, Forde is a becoming a liability (mounthing, fouling) + has lost something as he got older and didn't really get any wiser to compensate. Pierson does not appear to be committed. Eddie is mad. Where is Finbarr Reilly, we were all discussing him being recalled and no sign off him. Surely to god there are a couple of new forwards that could be tried out or were they all playing with the U21's?

Homer

Quote from: Mr. Pain on January 04, 2008, 05:26:12 PM

Wasn't being lazy I just didn't have access to a copy of the Celt til today.

Anyway for anybody else that might be in a similar situation, here is the McKenna Cup panel as per Celt

Micheal Brides (St. Oliver Plunketts)
James Carolan (Lavey)
Alan Clarke (Kingscourt)
James Clarke (Killenkere)
Mark Cunningham (Swanlinbar)
Micheal Cunningham (Swanlinbar)
Gavin Doyle (Arva)
Rory Donohoe (Belturbet)
Keith Fannin (Drumgoon)
Austin Fitzpatrick (Killeshandra)
Anthony Forde (Cavan Geals)
Anthony Gaynor (Ballinagh)
Declan Gaffney (Crosserlough)
Colm Hannon (Drumgoon)
Mark Johnston (Cornafean)
Niall Madden (Gowna)
Lorcan Mulvey (Butlersbridge)
John McCabe (Munterconnaught)
Ryan McCormack (Kingscourt)
John McCutcheon (Cootehill)
Mark McKeever (Gowna)
James O'Reilly (Drung)
Finbar O'Reilly (Lacken)
Eddie O'Reilly (Mullahoran)
Padraic O'Reilly (Ballinagh)
Jason Reilly (Belturbet)
Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
Darren Rabbitte (Cavan Geals)
David Rooney (Bailieborough)

The article also mentions that Larry Reilly (must be back), Anthony Forde (even though he is named in the panel), Cathal Collins and Nicolas Walsh will continue to be part of the panel despite not taking part in this competition.

Sean Johnston, Michael Hannon, Mícheal Lyng and Ronan Flanagan would all be involved with college sides.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Homer on January 05, 2008, 02:43:24 PM
Quote from: Mr. Pain on January 04, 2008, 05:26:12 PM

Wasn't being lazy I just didn't have access to a copy of the Celt til today.

Anyway for anybody else that might be in a similar situation, here is the McKenna Cup panel as per Celt

Micheal Brides (St. Oliver Plunketts)
James Carolan (Lavey)
Alan Clarke (Kingscourt)
James Clarke (Killenkere)
Mark Cunningham (Swanlinbar)
Micheal Cunningham (Swanlinbar)
Gavin Doyle (Killeshandra)
Rory Donohoe (Belturbet)
Keith Fannin (Drumgoon)
Austin Fitzpatrick (Killeshandra)
Anthony Forde (Cavan Geals)
Anthony Gaynor (Ballinagh)
Declan Gaffney (Crosserlough)
Colm Hannon (Drumgoon)
Mark Johnston (Cornafean)
Niall Madden (Gowna)
Lorcan Mulvey (Butlersbridge)
John McCabe (Munterconnaught)
Ryan McCormack (Kingscourt)
John McCutcheon (Cootehill)
Mark McKeever (Gowna)
James O'Reilly (Drung)
Finbar O'Reilly (Lacken)
Eddie O'Reilly (Mullahoran)
Padraic O'Reilly (Ballinagh)
Jason Reilly (Belturbet)
Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
Darren Rabbitte (Cavan Geals)
David Rooney (Bailieborough)

The article also mentions that Larry Reilly (must be back), Anthony Forde (even though he is named in the panel), Cathal Collins and Nicolas Walsh will continue to be part of the panel despite not taking part in this competition.

Sean Johnston, Michael Hannon, Mícheal Lyng and Ronan Flanagan would all be involved with college sides.

we cant blame them for not experimenting anyway.
team id name tommorow out of that would be

1.James Carolan
2.Colm Hannon
3.Anthony Gaynor
4.Keith Fannin
5.Alan Clarke
6.Padraig Reily
7.David Rooney
8.Declan Gaffney
9.Lorcan Mulvey
10.Niall Madden
11.Rory Donohoe
12.Austin Fitzpartick
13.Ryan McCormack
14.Eddie Reily
15.John McCabe

In my opinion theres no point playing the likes of Forde,Jason Reily,Mark McKeever, Miller in the McKenna Cup, we should use the 3 games to experiment.

PS Homer i dont think  Arva Gavin Doyle would be too happy with you saying hes a leaguer  :D  ;D

Homer

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 05, 2008, 02:56:10 PM
PS Homer i dont think  Arva Gavin Doyle would be too happy with you saying hes a leaguer  :D  ;D

Ah sure they're all the same around that neck of the woods   ;D

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan 0-15 Monaghan 1-09

Well lads good start to the season

Team was

1.James Carolan... Kickouts good,couldnt do anything for the goal. 7

2.Colm Hannon...good to see him back,didnt look very fit which is understandable,taken to the cleaners a few times,but will take him a while to get back to the speed of county football. 6

3.John Clarke... Good game but his lack of pace will be his undoing as the year progresses im afraid. 7

4.Keith Fannin... very good game, Monaghan brought his man out into the half forward line,Not the smartest thing to do as Fannin played a lot more football than him. 8

5.John McCutcheon..very good  for his first competitive game,Mobile,Gutsy and done all the simple things right... 7

6.Padraig Reily...Outstanding first at centre half,then when he went back to mark Freeman when he came on..Mark him down for the CHB position and forget about it for 10 years. 8

7.David Rooney...very quiet,didnt get into the game much really. 6

8.Declan Gaffney..some very good fielding,competed for everything,not very mobile or fit looking,id be interested if County Training could bring him on in that department,if so look out. 7

9.Mark McKeever....Although out of place at MF,McKeever for me was  MOM, went through a mountain of work,and his delivery into the forwards and ball carrying was
outstanding. 9

10.James Clarke...made a few dashing runs but other than that was quiet, 6

11.Rory Donohoe...made some bad decisions,and held onto the ball too long,but worked very hard and kicked the insurance point near the end.Will Improve. 7

12.Martin Reily...possibely the most naturally talented football player on the team,great workrate,and kicked 1/2 very good points from play and frees. 8

13.Jason Reily.....scored 4 points,didnt look fit like the majority of the team,but worked very very hard and always looked dangerous whenever he got to the ball. 8

14.Eddie Reily,missed some guilt edged frees and shots from on front of the posts,then proceeded to kick a few outrageous scores,Workrate was outstanding as always,Gives us that ball winning ability in the FF line. 7

15.Ryan McCormack....The most impressive newcomer, took over the free duties from Eddie and with the exception of one in the second half,kicked them over from all angles.Also kicked one fantastic one from play,Again good workrate and movement. 8.

Subs
Alan Clarke for Colm Hannon----Decent enough game,put himself about. 6

Barry Watters for David Rooney--very good going forward but suspect in defence.Migth be a better wing forward,looked impressive though for someone making their debut at Senior Inter County Level. 7

Nicholas Walsh for Eddie Reily----Good Targetman,set up the last 2 points for Donohoe and Jayo i think by knocking the ball down,Ruffled a few feathers in the Monaghan back-line when he came on,Pushing and shoving etc  :D

Conor Smith for Ryan McCormack--not on long enough to rate

Austin Fitzpatrick for ????? near the end

Good start,anyone going down to Belfast Wednesday Night(i wont be due to work) write a report.

mylestheslasher

Thanks for the report. I got called away at the last minute and couldn't attend. I am glad to see a coupld of new forwards in the teams doing well (as per my last post). It is always nice to get the better of Monaghan. Won't be able to make it wednesday with work but a win there will put us in the semis and give us another game which is good. Queens will be hard bet though.

cavanmaniac

Very greatful to you for the report BH man, that's alot more and better info than we'll get in any paper over the next week anyway. Ta very much.

I recall us playing some mighty stuff against Derry this time last year, Michael Cunningham getting MOM and disappearing afterwards. These January games come with a health warning as regards serious analysis but sure a win is a win and a win against Monaghan is twice as nice. And we're trying out a few lads as well, if three or four of them stick we'd have to be happy and hopefully we'll avoid relegation at the least this year.