Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Horan was linked previously but ruled himself out. That was when McGleenan got the job. Cavan job looked better then with the age profile and playing in Division 1 in 2017.

Would Eamon Murray who managed the Meath ladies be interested. He's from Gowna orginally

Look-Up!

Would certainly be a bold move. Big difference and step up from what he's used to. Too risky.

I'd be happy with O'Rourke or McDermott. If Geezer became available I'd be very happy. A Vinny Corey type appointment would be good too but can't think of any. Micky Harte would be terrific but not available. After that I'm struggling.

Inside Cavan I don't know. Peter Reilly was mentioned somewhere but it'd be a massive step up for him. Hyland mentioned. Good manager, not sure how players would take it and some Cavan fans are very anti. If they really struggle to find someone I could see Keoghan/McCabe enter contention. That could backfire! Let's hope we get someone from the top of the list.

Itchy

Keoghan rules himself out thankfully, we dont need lock ins and all the bull shit he brings

Look-Up!

Jesus that was some washout in Breffni this evening. Horrible horrible conditions for football. Ramor Kingscourt draw. Lough edge out Gowna in a second half that looked more like water polo. No Paddy Lynch or Conor Brady on show. Stephen and Pierce Smith also missing for Lough.

mrdeeds

Raymond Galligan nominated a strange one with Jayo and McDermot.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 24, 2023, 12:15:58 PM

Assume that means liam brady might get a run out next year so ;)

You wouldnt be jumping with excitement looking at those nominations. McDermott is a strange one, on the face of it has  done some great things but then never got a run at a county team since Clare for some reason. Is he too old school for the modern gurus? Galligan is  total wildcard, has he done any coaching? I wonder will the committee looking into this go out and approach other outside candidates

Look-Up!

You'd hope there'd be a few more applications too, to add to that list. For Jayo, the step up is likely too big but I could see it happen. As for Galligan, no from me. He has done some underage coaching at his club, but no. 

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on July 24, 2023, 12:49:17 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on July 24, 2023, 12:15:58 PM

Assume that means liam brady might get a run out next year so ;)

You wouldnt be jumping with excitement looking at those nominations. McDermott is a strange one, on the face of it has  done some great things but then never got a run at a county team since Clare for some reason. Is he too old school for the modern gurus? Galligan is  total wildcard, has he done any coaching? I wonder will the committee looking into this go out and approach other outside candidates

McDermott was in for the Cavan job when Graham got it. He went for the Meath job last year when too. He is worth a go as a manager. A lot of success and as Club manager and was decent as Clare manager m

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 24, 2023, 01:05:21 PM
You'd hope there'd be a few more applications too, to add to that list. For Jayo, the step up is likely too big but I could see it happen. As for Galligan, no from me. He has done some underage coaching at his club, but no.

The more I think about it, the more I think it might work. The way the game has gone, it's so tactical and technical and someone recently involved/still playing may know as much as anyone and how to get around it. It needs a manager who is able to play a way to get the most out of the game, along with a strong backroom team. If someone is able to do that, and is technically up to the task of reading the game and knowing how to set up, I see no reason why he couldn't work. He wouldn't actually be running the coaching anyway. Managers rarely do these days apart from a few sessions here and there

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 24, 2023, 01:05:21 PM
Indeed. these are only the club nominations by deadline, I'm sure there will be the usual handful of outside manager applications.

Look-Up!

Didn't see the Hollywood nomination coming nor couldn't see it working. Bit shouty and doesn't strike me as a players type of player. Our squad is not in a good place right now, I'd rather avoid an out and out wild card.

cavanmaniac

Down's Danny Hughes has put himself forward for the job, the Celt has revealed.

I know little to nothing about him - perhaps revealing enough in itself - but thinking in terms of McGeeney, James Horan and Mickey Harte, but hearing Galligan, McDermott, Jason Reilly and Danny Hughes instead, kind of underlines my earlier point about us having fierce delusions of grandeur here in Cavan! The plainer view from outside puts a different shade on things for sure.

Of course, any one of those guys might well turn out to be a great appointment, and let's hope so. Just very hard to be positive given Cavan's (largely) lamentable fortunes over the years.

Itchy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on August 02, 2023, 03:05:41 PM

I know little to nothing about him - perhaps revealing enough in itself - but thinking in terms of McGeeney, James Horan and Mickey Harte, but hearing Galligan, McDermott, Jason Reilly and Danny Hughes instead, kind of underlines my earlier point about us having fierce delusions of grandeur here in Cavan! The plainer view from outside puts a different shade on things for sure.

Of course, any one of those guys might well turn out to be a great appointment, and let's hope so. Just very hard to be positive given Cavan's (largely) lamentable fortunes over the years.

That's it, easy to shout for Graham's head when there's nothing better out there.(although I do think a new fresh perspective was needed). The question is have these big names been approached and the sale made to them? You'd hope so. If they all said no then fair enough

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on August 02, 2023, 04:01:54 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on August 02, 2023, 03:05:41 PM

That's it, easy to shout for Graham's head when there's nothing better out there.(although I do think a new fresh perspective was needed). The question is have these big names been approached and the sale made to them? You'd hope so. If they all said no then fair enough

A lot of names were approached after Terry Hylamd in 2016 and turned Cavan down. The age profile was good then and Cavan had Division 1 football.

A lot of players are in 30s now so will be a turnover for a new manager in next few years

Look-Up!

Louth got Mickey Harte. If you have the right ambition in place the Cavan job is very sellable.