Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 19, 2023, 01:52:38 PM
Why discuss him if he's not available. What about a young Davy Burke type ambitious manager?

Mark McHugh at Roscommon, maybe Kieran Donaghy or even someone like Mickey Hannon.
Do any of those even have managerial experience? Davy Burke had

full moon

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 19, 2023, 02:02:31 PM
Quote from: Westside on July 19, 2023, 09:17:19 AM

Any word on who is in the running for the senior job?

Celt today hinted that Hyland might well be nominated by one of the clubs, the man himself was quoted and wasn't ruling himself out by any means. Not sure what he'd bring that was any different to the first go around when - imo - he did a lot of good work but left a few big wins behind too before running out of road similar to Mickey.

On McGeeney, I share a lot of the misgivings but even someone as flawed as him is probably too high on the pecking order for Cavan as we currently stand. We're distinctly third rate and it'll only be when we stop codding ourselves about our history and legacy and status, and go back to the basics, with a lot of humility, and build from the bottom up, that things will improve sustainably. Two senior ulster titles in 54 goddamn years, for all our huffing and puffing and dreaming (me as bad as anyone) tells a tale we'd rather not acknowledge but it's there and time to stop hiding from it. So many counties have risen, fallen, and risen again in that time but we've remained mired for the most part and that's a sign we're doing it wrong too often.

Well I'd imagine the daydreaming of many of our supporters of supposed big names being interested, which surely was never realistic will be brought back down to earth hearing that. We were unlikely to get anyone that even has a resume to match Graham. And it appears not many of our club managers had the experience or CV.

What about Steven Poacher type figure in the backroom. He's certainly a very impressive coach tactically, a real student of the game. Whether is more of a backroom coach or manager I have no idea.

Westside

Celt today hinted that Hyland might well be nominated by one of the clubs, the man himself was quoted and wasn't ruling himself out by any means. Not sure what he'd bring that was any different to the first go around when - imo - he did a lot of good work but left a few big wins behind too before running out of road similar to Mickey.

On McGeeney, I share a lot of the misgivings but even someone as flawed as him is probably too high on the pecking order for Cavan as we currently stand. We're distinctly third rate and it'll only be when we stop codding ourselves about our history and legacy and status, and go back to the basics, with a lot of humility, and build from the bottom up, that things will improve sustainably. Two senior ulster titles in 54 goddamn years, for all our huffing and puffing and dreaming (me as bad as anyone) tells a tale we'd rather not acknowledge but it's there and time to stop hiding from it. So many counties have risen, fallen, and risen again in that time but we've remained mired for the most part and that's a sign we're doing it wrong too often.

Your second paragraph is a tough pill to swallow but an excellent summation of the state of affairs.

It all comes down to the underage really. Look what Derry have done since they got their house in order.

You would hope that the player pathway and academy manager initiatives will make a tangible difference and we can get the conveyor belt rolling again, keep the senior team in Division 2 and then look to where other changes need to be made. Schools I'd imagine should be number 1 on that list.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 17, 2023, 08:12:08 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 16, 2023, 08:57:19 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on July 16, 2023, 11:15:52 AM
He has lasted everywhere he had been. Very popular with players. Great coach, very professional. He would be a terrific appointment for us and really shake up the squad.

And wins nothing, reaching one Ulster final in 9 seasons. You'd have to be absolutely nuts to appoint a poser like him.

I want a manager who will make these lads winners.
A brilliant coach. Has improved every county he has managed. The consummate professional. Gives everything to the job and gets the most out of the players at his disposal. Armagh underage would be even weaker than Cavan this last decade but he has them light years ahead of us in the senior ranks. Only thing nuts is what has been allowed happen to our senior team this last few years.

I think McGeeney stayed on a year too long with Kildare and Armagh.  He lost a ballot 29-28 to stay on as manager with Kildare. They weren't happy with the costs of having McGeeney as manager.

Armagh have had little underage succcess ,but better individual attacking players then Cavan. They did win a Minor All Ireland in 09 where a few of the current team would have been involved.   https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2009/0920/255042-armagh_mayo/

Look-Up!

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 19, 2023, 07:57:21 PM
He has lasted everywhere he had been. Very popular with players. Great coach, very professional. He would be a terrific appointment for us and really shake up the squad.

And wins nothing, reaching one Ulster final in 9 seasons. You'd have to be absolutely nuts to appoint a poser like him.

A brilliant coach. Has improved every county he has managed. The consummate professional. Gives everything to the job and gets the most out of the players at his disposal. Armagh underage would be even weaker than Cavan this last decade but he has them light years ahead of us in the senior ranks. Only thing nuts is what has been allowed happen to our senior team this last few years.

I think McGeeney stayed on a year too long with Kildare and Armagh.  He lost a ballot 29-28 to stay on as manager with Kildare. They weren't happy with the costs of having McGeeney as manager.

Armagh have had little underage succcess ,but better individual attacking players then Cavan. They did win a Minor All Ireland in 09 where a few of the current team would have been involved.   https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2009/0920/255042-armagh_mayo/
They probably felt after 6 years he had brought them as far as he could and they needed someone to get them the extra push but they went the opposite direction once he left. He's 10 years now with Armagh if you count 2014. I think when the dust settles on their season they'll ask him to stay but if not, I believe the Cavan job is one he'd take. It'd be a big risk for him but one that could be very beneficial to both parties.

Cavan19

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 19, 2023, 10:37:08 PM

They probably felt after 6 years he had brought them as far as he could and they needed someone to get them the extra push but they went the opposite direction once he left. He's 10 years now with Armagh if you count 2014. I think when the dust settles on their season they'll ask him to stay but if not, I believe the Cavan job is one he'd take. It'd be a big risk for him but one that could be very beneficial to both parties.

Do we really want to be called "Kieran McGeeney's Cavan"?

rodney trotter

I don't see him being that long with Armagh to going to another Ulster county. He brought a lot of aggression to Armagh, involved in lots of rows. But seemed to lack a bit tactically. Vinny Corey in his first year had got the better of McGeeney in the quarter finals.

I think cavan should look outside Ulster If it's an outside manager

Look-Up!

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 20, 2023, 09:55:34 AM

I don't see him being that long with Armagh to going to another Ulster county. He brought a lot of aggression to Armagh, involved in lots of rows. But seemed to lack a bit tactically. Vinny Corey in his first year had got the better of McGeeney in the quarter finals.

I think cavan should look outside Ulster If it's an outside manager
Armagh beat them in the league, they drew in championship.

rodney trotter

Rory Beggan left his goal stranded in the league game and Armgh got a handy goal. it was a game Monaghan should have won without a good few.

Itchy

I am a fan of Terry, a great GAA man who has done great things for Cavan. However, I don't think that would be the right move for Cavan or for Terry. At this stage we need a new voice in there. If we could do what Louth did and get a financial back to get a Jim Gavin or high profile man in it would be a lift the county needs but maybe I am dreaming but I think that way we would have a chance to convince lads to give it another go.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 20, 2023, 09:17:47 AM

I couldn't care less what we're called or who's over us. We've all played for and with people we disliked but what matters is only what happens on field. As long as I see a Cavan team consistently giving 100% in every match and every jersey number fought hard for I really don't care about names or losses. That was a great post by cavanmaniac and hit the nail on head. It's that Cavan attitude that Eamon Coleman couldn't get over and was trying to change (with good effect until the unfortunate). The notion there's instant gratification in football without the hard work and slog.

Terry Hyland recognised this and made great progress with sustainable consistent improvements. But a few tough losses and media getting on his back with the Black Death label and people turned. F**k em!! F**k what people think, what ill informed journalists call us. As long as I see a Cavan team consistently giving 100% in every match and every jersey number fought hard for I really don't care.

I think McGeeney would be a great fit for us. He's similar to Coleman in that he looks to what's at the heart of a player. Do you want it? Not would you like it if the buy in is not too dear or if the ball bounces nicely for you. DO YOU WANT IT. Period. So if he bought into us long term and got that mentality back of the Hyland era where we fought like dogs for every scrap, I wouldn't care less what noses he puts out of joint or what we're called. And he certainly wouldn't be selling the nonsense that you can drop the ball big time in the league but somehow there'll be instant gratification come championship.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 20, 2023, 09:49:11 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on July 20, 2023, 09:17:47 AM

I couldn't care less what we're called or who's over us. We've all played for and with people we disliked but what matters is only what happens on field. As long as I see a Cavan team consistently giving 100% in every match and every jersey number fought hard for I really don't care about names or losses. That was a great post by cavanmaniac and hit the nail on head. It's that Cavan attitude that Eamon Coleman couldn't get over and was trying to change (with good effect until the unfortunate). The notion there's instant gratification in football without the hard work and slog.

Terry Hyland recognised this and made great progress with sustainable consistent improvements. But a few tough losses and media getting on his back with the Black Death label and people turned. F**k em!! F**k what people think, what ill informed journalists call us. As long as I see a Cavan team consistently giving 100% in every match and every jersey number fought hard for I really don't care.

I think McGeeney would be a great fit for us. He's similar to Coleman in that he looks to what's at the heart of a player. Do you want it? Not would you like it if the buy in is not too dear or if the ball bounces nicely for you. DO YOU WANT IT. Period. So if he bought into us long term and got that mentality back of the Hyland era where we fought like dogs for every scrap, I wouldn't care less what noses he puts out of joint or what we're called. And he certainly wouldn't be selling the nonsense that you can drop the ball big time in the league but somehow there'll be instant gratification come championship.

Do you know McGeeney, you seem to have opinions about him that could only be truly know by a player who played for him.
What do you think of how he tactically fucked up their chance of winning Ulster this year by refusing to push up on Derry when they had an extra man. What you think of him then not learning from that and doing the same thing a few weeks later against Monaghan. If Graham did that he'd be lambasted.

The ONLY reason McGeeney is still manager in Armagh is the money he generates. I don't think too many Armagh fans think his tenure was successful either. And after the Seanie Johnstons shambles no way I'd let the likes of him near our country team. You are certainly in a minority I would say too wanting him to come here.

Look-Up!

I don't understand your statement about the money generated.

Nobody's perfect. From the Ulster final I saw, both teams tried their level best to lose it in the end. It was decided on penalties. Same as Monaghan match. Pure luck. Vinny Corey didn't even bother preparing his team for penalties in the run up to the QF. Didn't see the point in needlessly annoying players with more noise. Sensible approach. Had they lost though, it would have been unfairly used as a rod for his back by some I'm sure. Only a few inches differ from a pat on the back and a kick up the arse.

There are other options. James Horan I wouldn't mind but I just don't see the practicality. And if he did it would be a short term appointment I'd imagine. It would give plenty of Cavan fans instant gratification though. Big name with "cups" on his CV. But provincial titles with that Mayo team was hardly breaking new ground. Don't get me wrong, a terrific manager, raised the performance of his team, some epic days out, heroic losses, but his remit was an AI because that was the next step. And he fell short.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 21, 2023, 12:45:53 PM

Nobody's perfect. From the Ulster final I saw, both teams tried their level best to lose it in the end. It was decided on penalties. Same as Monaghan match. Pure luck. Vinny Corey didn't even bother preparing his team for penalties in the run up to the QF. Didn't see the point in needlessly annoying players with more noise. Sensible approach. Had they lost though, it would have been unfairly used as a rod for his back by some I'm sure. Only a few inches differ from a pat on the back and a kick up the arse.

There are other options. James Horan I wouldn't mind but I just don't see the practicality. And if he did it would be a short term appointment I'd imagine. It would give plenty of Cavan fans instant gratification though. Big name with "cups" on his CV. But provincial titles with that Mayo team was hardly breaking new ground. Don't get me wrong, a terrific manager, raised the performance of his team, some epic days out, heroic losses, but his remit was an AI because that was the next step. And he fell short.

The man has god like status with some in Armagh. He brings in piles of money in sponsorship rending him effectively cost neutral.

If James Horan's remit was to win Sam (and he failed) wasn't McGeeney remit to win Ulster and he had way longer to do it. Horan won other trophies along the way too.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on July 21, 2023, 05:04:20 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on July 21, 2023, 12:45:53 PM

The man has god like status with some in Armagh. He brings in piles of money in sponsorship rending him effectively cost neutral.

If James Horan's remit was to win Sam (and he failed) wasn't McGeeney remit to win Ulster and he had way longer to do it. Horan won other trophies along the way too.
Hence why he might leave Armagh. Horan had 8 seasons with Mayo actually, pretty similar. McGeeney won a couple of cups with Armagh along the way, low level stuff but all relative to where he started with them. Might have had a Division 2 cup too if they had got the chance to contest final. But that's splitting hairs, you need to look beyond cups. Getting the right fit is more important than some check box exercise on cups. If McGeeney was from Mayo and Horan from Armagh I'd prefer to get Horan. I just don't think it's practical to commute from Mayo long term and I'm not sure someone from Mayo would see the Cavan job as that plump a number.