Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on June 28, 2023, 01:56:52 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 07:15:29 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2023, 05:37:23 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on June 26, 2023, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 01:13:40 PM
There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

I would agree on getting someone in before the club championships but i can't see it been that quick.

Are the WAC lads drinking buddies with Graham or what sort of back scratching is going on there?  I haven't heard anyone else in the county saying that he should stay on.
I'd imagine something like that. One of them was blaming the rain for the loss to Armagh before the last match. Hopefully nothing too dodgy going on behind the scenes because a change is needed. Seem to remember them commenting on commitment of players a while ago and poor turnout at training when reality was anything but. Very poor balance with them. Had a pop at Mattie not so long ago labelling his reign as "the lost years". Drawing with Kerry in Breffni and beating Mayo in Castlebar in front of bumper crowds! Plus getting back to Division 1 with a new look experimental squad. I wouldn't mind a bit of those years again.

You're probably right on appointment being later. If there is one that is. I've a nagging doubt he may not walk, and if he doesn't, I'm not sure he'll be pushed.

Things may be gone south under graham but Jesus don't try and tell me the Mcgleenan years were "fabulous" as the man himself might say. We were hopeless in championship under him and championship is where it's at.
I wasn't sorry to see Mattie go but if he had wanted to stay another year I wouldn't have objected. League performances were light years better under him and it's where you develop as a team. Championship is a lottery. We won a few games with him, lost to Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Tipp(AI semi finalists year previously). Hardly awe inspiring but we were never hockeyed. If that was hopeless I don't know how to describe last 3 years.

Wasnt just the losses, it was the manner of the losses. Graham tenure has gone downhill in 3 years (I like how you limited the review to 3 yrs for some reason) however he did make 2 ulster finals, a Tailteann final and league finals. He won 1 ulster, 1 Div 4 and 1 Div 3 title. Not great but way ahead of McGleenan. Its funny when you do well in championship Cavan fans will moan about the league performances and when you do well in the league they will moan about the championship.
Ah here Itchy. Going to D4 was an all time low. Listing Division 4 Finals and TC finals as achievements against other managers is some spin. I remember first 2 years well. Beating Monaghan was great, we actually played very well that day with a nice slice of luck for a change. The Ulster final, aftermath and Tyrone game were brutal, as bad as anything I have seen. 2020 was great achievement, we were brilliant in final. But how we got there was a miracle and largely thanks to Raymond Galligan. First 50 minutes against Monaghan is probably the worst I have ever seen a Cavan team play. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say they were at least 15 points a better team. Win was delightful but lets not pretend we were playing well. We all hoped victory over Donegal was a watershed moment but it was clearly a one off.

I think it was the manner of the championship victories more so turned people off Mattie. We beat Wicklow and Down but were very very poor and defensive. In his defence he had us very open all year but then shipped two big scorelines in League final and first round and panicked. His very last game against Tyrone we actually played very well and we rattled them. It was probably enough to guarantee him another year but he had the good sense to know he was a little out of his depth and not fully trusted. No shame in walking.

mrdeeds

Graham gone anyway. A reign full of highs and lows. The high obviously the Ulster Championship win while Wicklow defeat the lowest.

Shortlist for u20 job, Donal Keogan, Larry Reilly,  Brian Donohoe and Keelin Melaniff.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 11, 2023, 12:34:19 PM
Graham gone anyway. A reign full of highs and lows. The high obviously the Ulster Championship win while Wicklow defeat the lowest.

Shortlist for u20 job, Donal Keogan, Larry Reilly,  Brian Donohoe and Keelin Melaniff.

Shortlist for the U20 Job? Has Damian Donohoe vacated it?

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on July 11, 2023, 02:39:43 PM

Yeah done his three years.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 11, 2023, 02:55:53 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 11, 2023, 02:39:43 PM

Yeah done his three years.

Oh right, I hadnt heard an annoucement that he was finished so assumed another year may have been on the cards

cavanmaniac

Early mentions of Malachy O'Rourke to replace Graham. Whatever you think of him as a candidate, it's hard to imagine he won't be in the county board's thoughts.

statto

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 11, 2023, 08:30:10 PM
Early mentions of Malachy O'Rourke to replace Graham. Whatever you think of him as a candidate, it's hard to imagine he won't be in the county board's thoughts.
Would be a great appointment. 

5times5times

You think Cavan would be ahead of Donegal, and possibly Tyrone & Armagh and their changes in mgt?

Look-Up!

Would be great to get the new man in fairly quickly. You'd assume any potential candidates would be keeping a close eye on club football from now on.

League semi finals down for 22nd in Breffni. Ramor v Kingscourt and Gowna v Crosserlough. 2nd game could have plenty of neutrals at it but think a few of the Lough lads are away on holidays.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: 5times5times on July 12, 2023, 10:28:33 AM

You think Cavan would be ahead of Donegal, and possibly Tyrone & Armagh and their changes in mgt?

A few will be in for him I'd imagine, yes. Cavan's place in the pecking order is fairly diminished as well but he has club management experience here, not sure about the other counties but maybe there also. Hard to think of any Cavan men with the managerial chops to do the job either.

Interesting the Celt reported a lot of the current panel being in favour of Graham staying and he was veering that way until catching the board on the hop late in the day and stepping down. I find that very hard to credit but they know more than me about it I suppose.

Itchy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 13, 2023, 09:51:20 AM
Quote from: 5times5times on July 12, 2023, 10:28:33 AM

A few will be in for him I'd imagine, yes. Cavan's place in the pecking order is fairly diminished as well but he has club management experience here, not sure about the other counties but maybe there also. Hard to think of any Cavan men with the managerial chops to do the job either.

Interesting the Celt reported a lot of the current panel being in favour of Graham staying and he was veering that way until catching the board on the hop late in the day and stepping down. I find that very hard to credit but they know more than me about it I suppose.

The we are cavan podcast shed a little light on it and claimed that Ramor had requested a conversation on the county manager at the next county meeting (ironic it was Ramor in my opinion). Maybe Graham thought he wasn't going to have his name discussed like that and jumped. Its all strange as they also said he had plans already in place for next year including Ricey moving on and 2 replacement people organised to come in.

cavanmaniac

However it worked behind the scenes I do think he'd have been repeating Terry Hyland's error of one year too many if he stayed on. The arse has fallen out of things entirely, and of course we'll never know how he'd have shaken it up in the 12 months ahead, but the robotic inertia of the senior team's play felt like an endurance test or form of torture this year, and he has to carry the can for that. No doubting he gave it his all though, as well as one helluva bright day against the odds.

Look-Up!

Monaghan showed us this year that we shouldn't necessarily be afraid of going for an inexperienced man if the passion and brain is there. Can't think of too many that fit that bill off the top of my head though especially in Cavan. Murphy and Mark McHugh from Donegal are coaches I believe- Not saying they should be in contention but a joint ticket like this or similar could generate a bit of lift like mid 90's.

If going for experience Malachy O'Rourke probably the safest shout. If Geezer left Armagh I think he'd be a great appointment. After that I'm not sure.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 15, 2023, 09:12:35 PM
Monaghan showed us this year that we shouldn't necessarily be afraid of going for an inexperienced man if the passion and brain is there. Can't think of too many that fit that bill off the top of my head though especially in Cavan. Murphy and Mark McHugh from Donegal are coaches I believe- Not saying they should be in contention but a joint ticket like this or similar could generate a bit of lift like mid 90's.

If going for experience Malachy O'Rourke probably the safest shout. If Geezer left Armagh I think he'd be a great appointment. After that I'm not sure.

McGeeney, you must be joking. He won nothing in 9 years at Armagh. He wouldn't last 3 yrs in Cavan.

Look-Up!

He has lasted everywhere he had been. Very popular with players. Great coach, very professional. He would be a terrific appointment for us and really shake up the squad.