Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

I meant in the final that year. Cahill was strong, fast and powerful but not too inteligent or skillful.

BallyhaiseMan

Pierson annoys me though getting caught behind his man too often.
Definetely not all your forwards have to be speed merchants,you need the intelligent playmakers(Lyng) the very good ball winners(Cullivan)the deadly accurate scorers from play(Pierson and Jelly,sometimes!!) ,but i think it helps if one or two are lightening quick.Gives the Opposite backs something extra to think about.

mylestheslasher

Another gripe of mine is the lack of players we have that could score from 40/45 meters out. McCabe is really the only one. Mad Eddie can do it too sometimes.

BallyhaiseMan

Happy Christmas to ye all lads :)

Homer

Happy new year lads! I'm buried here with work so only have time for a rushed post.

Cavan u21s had a challenge at the weekend, I've no time for a report but heres the team and some comments.

1. Coleman (Lavey) - Decent kick-outs, could not do much about either goal.
2. Damien Reilly (Belturbet)
3. Rory Dunne (Redhills) - played quite well despite his man scoring 2-1
4.Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise)
5. Tomas Reilly (Killeshandra)
6. Dane O'Dowd (Drumlane)
7. Barry Watters (Drung) - good game
8. Givney/Gibney ?? (Munterconnaught)
9. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
10. Pauric Smith (Castlerahen)
11. Austin Fitzpatrick (Killeshandra) - very quiet
12. Colm Smith (Cootehill)
13. ??
14. Enda McHugh (Shannon Gaels) - snuffed out of everything
15. Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels) - didn't want to know

The seniors also had a friendly against Fermanagh, didn't hear much from it but apparently they played 2 halves but played their subs in the second half. Cavan won the first half well but got hammered in the second. Didn't hear the exact team but..

Pierson started but was taken off after one minute, apparently for the lazy manner in which he ran after the first ball in.
Podge was CHB and McKeever CHF
James Clarke (Killinkere) started!
Mad Eddie started
Walsh played midfield and was sent off for punching (well he wasn't sent off a such but the referee had him substituted).

Oh and he didn't play but Johnstone is back in, yet no sign of a re-call for Martin Cahill.

mylestheslasher

I heard they were playing. The U21 game was against Ballinagh wasn't it? What was the final score? Pierson took off after 1 minute!! I am surprised he is on the panel at all but maybe that won't last too long, his attitude really stinks by all accounts. James Clarke, the speed demon with no steering wheel! Maybe they can get a bit on intelligence into his game and he might be a dangerous player. Anyone heading to Breffni next w'end against Monaghan in Mckenna cup. I see queens beat them last w'end by a point in Clones. Might make the trip myself and see who is playing.

Homer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 02, 2008, 11:23:31 AM
I heard they were playing. The U21 game was against Ballinagh wasn't it? What was the final score?

Was going to keep the opposition quiet but yes it was Ballinagh, the match finished 3-11 to 1-10 to Ballinagh after a very poor performance from the u21s albeit without their best players Cullivan, Flanagan, Finbar Jordan and Martin Reilly.

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 02, 2008, 11:23:31 AM
Pierson took off after 1 minute!! I am surprised he is on the panel at all but maybe that won't last too long, his attitude really stinks by all accounts. James Clarke, the speed demon with no steering wheel! Maybe they can get a bit on intelligence into his game and he might be a dangerous player. Anyone heading to Breffni next w'end against Monaghan in Mckenna cup. I see queens beat them last w'end by a point in Clones. Might make the trip myself and see who is playing.

I really don't see any hope in Clarke he's just a headless chicken that doesn't even do the business for Killenkere these days.

As for the match this weekend, yeah I'll be there but I've mixed hopes for Cavan.

Cavanfan

Just wondering can the college lads play this weekend for Cavan? I don't think their game is until midweek so this is probably a yes. If not then they are missing a few lads, Flanagan, Lyng, Sherdian, Johnston, Hannon etc.....

Can't believe the new season is upon us already......

Mr. Pain

Hello to all. I am Mr. Pain. Here is my rant. The turkey is only being recycled now and it's time for more football. It's great but I'm not looking forward to the heavy winter training sessions. But as i say myself; no Pain no gain. Has anyone seen the Nicholas Walsh interview on Hoganstand? Talk about a space filler! Is he not supposed to be out teaching kangaroos how to play the spoons? If not then it was worthwhile him starting a diary in the Cavan Post. Is he supposed to be the football guru of Cavan? Discuss
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Mr. Pain on January 02, 2008, 04:06:27 PM
Hello to all. I am Mr. Pain. Here is my rant. The turkey is only being recycled now and it's time for more football. It's great but I'm not looking forward to the heavy winter training sessions. But as i say myself; no Pain no gain. Has anyone seen the Nicholas Walsh interview on Hoganstand? Talk about a space filler! Is he not supposed to be out teaching kangaroos how to play the spoons? If not then it was worthwhile him starting a diary in the Cavan Post. Is he supposed to be the football guru of Cavan? Discuss

Welcome Mr Pain. You sound like BA from the A team. ;) Anyway, that truly was a load of shite on Walsh. The amount of adjectives used to describe him was ridiculous and also mostly inaccurate. I suppose it is silly season and no one has much to say until the games start again.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 02, 2008, 05:11:02 PM
ridiculous and also mostly inaccurate.

Well if they'd included those two anywhere along the line they'd have been off to a good start. :P

Homer

Quote from: cavanmaniac on January 02, 2008, 05:32:54 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 02, 2008, 05:11:02 PM
ridiculous and also mostly inaccurate.

Well if they'd included those two anywhere along the line they'd have been off to a good start. :P

:D :D :D

And I agree, absolute drivel!

LackenLegend

Anyone know the who is managing the Gaels next year? Any new appointments lately?
Timmmmy!

Cavanfan

Rumour on the Hoganstand message board says it's Joe Kernan. It's not the first time I have heard it either. 

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Homer on January 02, 2008, 11:16:41 AM
Happy new year lads! I'm buried here with work so only have time for a rushed post.

Cavan u21s had a challenge at the weekend, I've no time for a report but heres the team and some comments.

1. Coleman (Lavey) - Decent kick-outs, could not do much about either goal.
2. Damien Reilly (Belturbet)
3. Rory Dunne (Redhills) - played quite well despite his man scoring 2-1
4.Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise)
5. Tomas Reilly (Killeshandra)
6. Dane O'Dowd (Drumlane)
7. Barry Watters (Drung) - good game
8. Givney/Gibney ?? (Munterconnaught)
9. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
10. Pauric Smith (Castlerahen)
11. Austin Fitzpatrick (Killeshandra) - very quiet
12. Colm Smith (Cootehill)
13. ??
14. Enda McHugh (Shannon Gaels) - snuffed out of everything
15. Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels) - didn't want to know

The seniors also had a friendly against Fermanagh, didn't hear much from it but apparently they played 2 halves but played their subs in the second half. Cavan won the first half well but got hammered in the second. Didn't hear the exact team but..

Pierson started but was taken off after one minute, apparently for the lazy manner in which he ran after the first ball in.
Podge was CHB and McKeever CHF
James Clarke (Killinkere) started!
Mad Eddie started
Walsh played midfield and was sent off for punching (well he wasn't sent off a such but the referee had him substituted).

Oh and he didn't play but Johnstone is back in, yet no sign of a re-call for Martin Cahill.

heard Forde was jawing at the referee and was taken off before he was sent off aswell)when will they ever learn,
Pierson taken off after 1 minute :o  :D , anyone else find that hilarious,that must be some sort of record for quick substitution with no injury involved.
Podge should be either centre half or full back on that team,with Gaynor if he can control himself,at the other central position in defence.
Heard Declan Gaffney the towering Crosserlough midfielder played quite well,Not very mobile,but huge with good hands.

as for the under 21's
As homer said its only a shadow team compared to what it will be in a month or two.