Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 02, 2022, 10:16:31 PM
                                                                                                                                                                                                                             There was some poor handling and passing from both teams on occasions.  Cavan took the goal chances which was the difference. Tipperary had a few goal chances, the one at the end was their best chance. Good performance by Lynch. Mark Russell kicked some excellent scores for Tipperary.

Russell hit 4 outrageous points to be fair, the 3 in the first half especially. Though we gave him the freedom of the field for those. He was part of the reason they kept in touch, was some performance and he looked like he was going on one leg

Dreadnought

St. Pats had a good result winning the Oisin McGrath Cup (U15.5, formerly the Brock Cup) yesterday. Good to see Pats winning as they always do add to our underage structure here. Fair play lads.

The U20s are out tonight vs Derry in Armagh. Hope they keep the momentum from last week going and push on with a win. For those not going, TG4 are streaming it for free on YouTube youtu.be/qePubr_ymq0

Westside

The U20s are 2/1 underdogs for tonight. Will be interesting to see how they fare against Derry who have been extremely strong at underage in recent years. If they can back up the Monaghan performance they won't be far off. Derry won't leave us those 1 on 1s in attack and I'd be surprised if we got anywhere near the amount of refereeing decisions we did last week.

Haven't seen a report on the McGrath cup game. Any stand out players? Is Rannafast the next level for that team?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on April 08, 2022, 10:00:10 AM
The U20s are 2/1 underdogs for tonight. Will be interesting to see how they fare against Derry who have been extremely strong at underage in recent years. If they can back up the Monaghan performance they won't be far off. Derry won't leave us those 1 on 1s in attack and I'd be surprised if we got anywhere near the amount of refereeing decisions we did last week.

Haven't seen a report on the McGrath cup game. Any stand out players? Is Rannafast the next level for that team?

I haven't seen any reports on it either, just followed score reports on twitter. Wasn't any scorers named, so don't know. I see the WeAreCavan podcast has a pod just up with a review, so might listen later and see what they say. Hopefully they've a better idea

Westside

Outstanding win for the U20s. Their work rare was off the charts. Brilliant to see they never even considered slowing the game down when we were a couple of points up in injury time, they pushed on. The take by O'Rourke at the end in the full back line was class.

Donohoe has done some job with them considering they are without what you would consider to be two of their best players in McEvoy and McGovern and we haven't won a game in the minor championship in the last 3 years.

Itchy

Brilliant win. What a nice bonus to see this team make an Ulster final when there was no expectation of them.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on April 08, 2022, 11:00:07 PM
Outstanding win for the U20s. Their work rare was off the charts. Brilliant to see they never even considered slowing the game down when we were a couple of points up in injury time, they pushed on. The take by O'Rourke at the end in the full back line was class.

Donohoe has done some job with them considering they are without what you would consider to be two of their best players in McEvoy and McGovern and we haven't won a game in the minor championship in the last 3 years.

Missing Ryan Brady as well, 3 big players for them, and a few others too. Was a brilliant win. Fair play to them, they battled and dug deep to see that off at the end. Great watching Cavan teams like that

Westside

I think Donohoe will have some tough calls to make before the final. There are a couple of starters who were below par last night. With the subs having done so well, one or two could force their way into the team.

A few people on the main thread saying how defensive it was. I personally didn't think it was too bad. There were a few times where Cavan were moving the ball around a defensive screen for a long period but overall I thought both sides showed decent attacking intent.

rodney trotter

Good win. Cian Reilly was impressive in defence. 

Mattie McGleenan's son is one of the key players for Tyrone and Dara Canavans brother Ruari.

Westside

Interesting to hear Damien Donohoe say that Caoimhin McGovern played for his club at the weekend and could be in  the frame for the U20s. It would be great to see him make the squad.

What's Matthew McGahern like? Don't think I've seen him play but sounds like he would be a central figure on that team if he was fit.

gortnaleck

Great to hear that young Mc Govern is  back playing,hope he is able to get some minutes

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 09, 2022, 01:40:05 PM

Mattie McGleenan's son is one of the key players for Tyrone and Dara Canavans brother Ruari.

I hear he is absolutely fabulous ;)

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on April 13, 2022, 10:02:45 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 09, 2022, 01:40:05 PM

I hear he is absolutely fabulous ;)

Is this the same son who came up with the idea of moving McVeety to full forward?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on April 12, 2022, 07:04:45 PM
Interesting to hear Damien Donohoe say that Caoimhin McGovern played for his club at the weekend and could be in  the frame for the U20s. It would be great to see him make the squad.

What's Matthew McGahern like? Don't think I've seen him play but sounds like he would be a central figure on that team if he was fit.

Good player, seems to have a overall wide skillset. He's 6'5 or 6'6, lads that size don't come about that often. Good ball handling, rangy running. Fit to score points, and take a free too. Could be an option to catch and score a mark if used that way in the forwards. Probably needs a bit more strength built up for a fella that size, but that'll come with his age. I think he's a good prospect

Dreadnought

Quote from: clubman21 on April 13, 2022, 12:43:19 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on April 13, 2022, 11:54:18 AM
Quote from: Westside on April 12, 2022, 07:04:45 PM

Good player, seems to have a overall wide skillset. He's 6'5 or 6'6, lads that size don't come about that often. Good ball handling, rangy running. Fit to score points, and take a free too. Could be an option to catch and score a mark if used that way in the forwards. Probably needs a bit more strength built up for a fella that size, but that'll come with his age. I think he's a good prospect
Strength? The lad must weigh north off 15 stone, not meant in a bad way I must state. Serious operator

Ah he would be, but even tall fellas weigh heavy but need to bulk in the right places. That comes a bit with moving past 20, I'm more on about for when he comes out of underage grade for Cavan.