Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

So it's Sayonara to Division 4, and no loss. Let's never go back there and pretend it was a bad dream. Good result Saturday, even allowing for how bad Waterford are (and a lot of scores we missed too). Maybe we're timing our run better in this, and aiming for a final and Antrim. Really should be in a position to win this final on Saturday. A bit of payback to Tipp, and also a chance to win a final between two provincial winners from a few years ago. And also for us to snap this league final losing streak, and lift a cup at Croker for the first time in ages. Get a win, and have a break while we build up to Antrim is where we want to be at. This is the time to be peaking and on an upward curve.

Westside

Not an enjoyable campaign, up to last Saturday at least. Hopefully we see a good positive performance in Croker and two good performances back to back will be a good tonic going into the Championship.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on March 28, 2022, 07:01:54 PM
Not an enjoyable campaign, up to last Saturday at least. Hopefully we see a good positive performance in Croker and two good performances back to back will be a good tonic going into the Championship.

Yeah it wasn't really enjoyable (any Cavan game rarely is - we've never won until the final whistle). Some games were comfortable, some were not, some were frustrating. We did however get a chance to try out a few younger players, and different ways of playing and such. Like we won some of these games by playing for a sum total of 10 minutes (Sligo) while then being very poor for the rest. It shows how better we were than that division. I'm ok with us not blowing teams away, as long as we sealed promotion. And I'd rather we're right for the final and Championship rather than flying back in February. Here's hoping that we're peaking at the right time

Dreadnought

Saw a post on Facebook (so take with a pinch of salt), but the page is run by Martin Tynan and he's usually clued up. He's saying Marty Reilly, Ciaran Holla Brady, and Conor Brady are back near fitness and will be back from Antrim, but not this weekend. Also that Oisin Kiernan has a terrible hamstring injury, he tore it off the bone. I remember some rugby players got that, and it's a good while out. He's a massive loss for us.

Westside

Yeah getting up was the main goal. It was never going to be easy and the weaker teams were always going to be make things difficult. I'd much rather stumble through the league and start playing well now than hammer teams in the first couple of rounds and plateau in March.

I saw Oisin Kiernan at the Waterford match and he looked to be walking and moving fine which I don't think would be the case if the hamstring came off the bone. Fingers crossed that's not what happened him because that's a career threatening injury.

Holla and Martin would be excellent additions but how fit or match sharp can they be? Difficult to ask them to jump straight into Ulster Championship after little to no football for 12 months.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on March 29, 2022, 09:59:54 AM
Yeah getting up was the main goal. It was never going to be easy and the weaker teams were always going to be make things difficult. I'd much rather stumble through the league and start playing well now than hammer teams in the first couple of rounds and plateau in March.

I saw Oisin Kiernan at the Waterford match and he looked to be walking and moving fine which I don't think would be the case if the hamstring came off the bone. Fingers crossed that's not what happened him because that's a career threatening injury.

Holla and Martin would be excellent additions but how fit or match sharp can they be? Difficult to ask them to jump straight into Ulster Championship after little to no football for 12 months.

Fully agree with your first line. That's exactly where we need to be, promoted but far more scope for improving and peaking.

I saw Kiernan too. I was sitting right behind the team. I thought he was moving well too, so we will take that with a pinch of salt alright. Either way, a hamstring injury of any sorts will leave him tight for Antrim in 3 weeks time.

Holla was also in the stand, although not with the team. Would be a huge turnaround for him and he'd have no match fitness. Marty would be ok as we know he could come straight back in with his profile, and he has played this season too.

Dreadnought

Best of luck to the U20s tonight v Monaghan, and to the Seniors tomorrow v Tipp. It'll be tough for the U20s with this Monaghan team being Ulster winners at minor 3 years ago. We were close to them a few weeks back in the League, so who knows. Should be winning this final tomorrow, and hopefully set us up for a tilt at Ulster. I'd take any win and lifting a trophy at Croker at this stage. Here's hoping to a good weekend for Cavan football.

Dreadnought

U20s flying tonight. Up 1-8 to 0-1 early in the 2nd half. Keep it up lads

Dreadnought

Ah brilliant win by the U20s. That's a bit of a statement. First half had them cruising, and then held them at arms length. Monaghan seemed to fall apart at the end with black and red cards. Any day we beat our dear neighbours is a great day. Well done lads!

Westside

What a win. Wasn't expecting that. Few excellent individual performances but overall a lot of honest hard work from Cavan was the foundation for that win. Cian Reilly showed why he's a county senior. Thought we were noticeably more physical and athletic around the field than last year which really stood to us.

Itchy

Well done to the u20s who have taken some serious stick, especially Damien Donohoe. It was an error ridden game but cavan were head and shoulders ahead of monaghan. Some big men around the middle and seemed to be able to make space in attack while totally frustrating monaghan at the other end. A win at this grade was so badly needed so fair play to all involved.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on April 01, 2022, 10:44:50 PM
Well done to the u20s who have taken some serious stick, especially Damien Donohoe. It was an error ridden game but cavan were head and shoulders ahead of monaghan. Some big men around the middle and seemed to be able to make space in attack while totally frustrating monaghan at the other end. A win at this grade was so badly needed so fair play to all involved.

Donohoe took a huge amount of stick. Delighted for him, and there's no doubt after that performance that he has the dressing room.

Monaghan were awful though, and we had a huge amount of very sloppy play that Monaghan just failed to punish. Perhaps the conditions contributed to those handling errors and passes that behind the man etc.

If Lovett can be utilised correctly he could tear teams to shreds. His ability to get away from his man is excellent, you can't coach that burst of pace. Tiarnan Madden is a quality footballer too.

Westside

Good to get the win. Some flashes of good play but a sloppy performance overall. Gearoid's form is worrying. Great to see Lynch finish off the league with such a good performance. Took his goal very well.

Which Cavan player threw the ball to give away the free at the end?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on April 02, 2022, 06:28:38 PM
Good to get the win. Some flashes of good play but a sloppy performance overall. Gearoid's form is worrying. Great to see Lynch finish off the league with such a good performance. Took his goal very well.

Which Cavan player threw the ball to give away the free at the end?

Indeed, good to get the win. Another game where we won by plating for 15 mins. Good to get a cup and get over a team who gave us bother before. We learned enough from the group game, and the goals kept us in front when needed. Not sure on McKiernan. He's been good this league, but both times he was poor was against Tipp. They seem to have the measure of him, and can keep him quiet. Lynch is looking the forward player we so badly need, 2-3 a great return for him today.

rodney trotter

There was some poor handling and passing from both teams on occasions.  Cavan took the goal chances which was the difference. Tipperary had a few goal chances, the one at the end was their best chance. Good performance by Lynch. Mark Russell kicked some excellent scores for Tipperary.