Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Yeah Donohoe very downbeat, hopefully he gets a response from the players.

I'm starting to believe! It's been difficult as I expected it to be, Carlow were within 2 points of us going down the stretch, Sligo were ahead with 10 minutes to go. I expect Tipp to be another tough game this weekend.

I wonder why Oisin Brady isn't getting more game time? Is he injured? I wasn't exactly impressed with his attitude any time I've seen him in the league but he looks like the most physically able young player on the panel.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on March 08, 2022, 11:53:52 PM
Very bad vibes all round regarding the U20's. Will take some turnaround to get any sort of run in championship.

As for the seniors, so far so good regarding points collected and a win this weekend should pretty much guarantee promotion. Without pulling up any trees we've been good enough for where we are but bigger tests await. Hopefully we get a few injured players back and improve a bit more before the Antrim match. Would be nice to go into championship with a settled team especially up front. My big concerns though would be lack of pace especially in attack and no reliable free taker.

I wouldn't be so sure here. We've been fine on free takers. McKiernan off the left foot, and Lynch off the right. Galligan takes anything long range. I think our accuracy has been just fine considering some of the conditions we've played in. We've missed some frees but when kicking in strong swirling winds. On the calmer days we've been very good on frees. We should be in a just fine here come Championship on this. Far better than we've been in other years at least...

Itchy

I see there was a vote at Ulster council to tell Antrim Corrigan Park wasnt sufficient to host the 1st round of Ulster. Antrim, Derry and Tyrone voted against the motion and the other 6 counties including us (we seem to have put up the motion) voted for. I'd have mixed feelings about this, I dont like sneaky shit like this to get an advantage but at the same time Antrim should look at themselves too. They have multiples of our population and have allowed their county ground to be left in ruin. I dont think we need to worry overly about where we play them as we are a better team than Antrim and should be able to beat them anywhere but I dont think any county would be allowed play a championship game in a ground in Ulster with less than 5k capacity either.

This could easily backfire, Antrim will use it as siege mentality to fire themselves up for it. Where would it likely be now. I bet they pick somewhere awkward like Derry - wouldn't blame them either.

Westside

I don't think Cavan give too much of a shit about where this game is played. Its about money and supporters being able to attend the game.

It's the responsibility of each county to make sure they have grounds capable of hosting games in the competitions they enter. If you don't have that, you don't get your home games simple as that.

Dreadnought

Antrim home game against Tyrone in 2019 went to Armagh. Simply put Corrigan park isn't big enough at 2600 capacity. That's hard luck on Antrim with Casement being out for now. But what can be done like? It's too small and Cavan would bring a large support, many will miss out. Makes sense to move. I suppose the manner of what they've done is what leaves some with a bad taste though. Unless they discussed directly with Antrim but got nowhere. Vote passed 6 to 3 anyway, so it's now a moot point. Likely will got to Armagh again. A decent hunting ground for us recently in Championship...

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on March 11, 2022, 12:02:20 PM
I don't think Cavan give too much of a shit about where this game is played. Its about money and supporters being able to attend the game.

It's the responsibility of each county to make sure they have grounds capable of hosting games in the competitions they enter. If you don't have that, you don't get your home games simple as that.

Why did we propose it at a vote then. Surely the Ulster Council has the power to make calls like this without a county having to put up a vote. Its a bit of a shitty act I think myself and I would prefer if we let the Ulster Council do their job and make decisions like this rather than us putting up motions.

I dont know about county the size of Antrim, how do they get themselves into such a mess with their county ground. They had one of the nicest pitches and venues in the Province and now its a ruin.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on March 11, 2022, 01:20:05 PM

Why did we propose it at a vote then. Surely the Ulster Council has the power to make calls like this without a county having to put up a vote. Its a bit of a shitty act I think myself and I would prefer if we let the Ulster Council do their job and make decisions like this rather than us putting up motions.

I dont know about county the size of Antrim, how do they get themselves into such a mess with their county ground. They had one of the nicest pitches and venues in the Province and now its a ruin.

I mean from a footballing point of view. There's a narrative now that this is a tactical move by Cavan to increase our chances of winning the game. I don't think that's the case. I think the reasons for wanting the game moved is primarily motivated by a desire to accommodate every supporter who wants to attend.

You're right though, surely there should be minimum capacity for Ulster Championship games and it should be the responsibilith of Ulster Council to ensure compliance. I don't think Cavan are being hypocritical. We gave up home advantage against Tyrone a few years back when Breffni was out of action.

NatSoSaff

I don't know about county the size of Antrim, how do they get themselves into such a mess with their county ground. They had one of the nicest pitches and venues in the Province and now its a ruin.

God almighty Itchy, at least do some basic research before mouthing off about stuff you clearly know little about. Antrim were lead by the nose by Ulster Council into this disastrous Casement Park project (managed by Ulster Council), that ultimately went to sh*% as due diligence was not carried out (residence backing, health & safety angles covered etc etc). There's alot more to it that as well of course, but to call Antrim out for 'getting themselves into such a mess' is compltely ignorant and misleading.
Anyway, we'll see you lads in Corrigan in a few weeks time when we can have a laugh about all this  ;D

Itchy

Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 11, 2022, 05:14:24 PM

I don't know about county the size of Antrim, how do they get themselves into such a mess with their county ground. They had one of the nicest pitches and venues in the Province and now its a ruin.

God almighty Itchy, at least do some basic research before mouthing off about stuff you clearly know little about. Antrim were lead by the nose by Ulster Council into this disastrous Casement Park project (managed by Ulster Council), that ultimately went to sh*% as due diligence was not carried out (residence backing, health & safety angles covered etc etc). There's alot more to it that as well of course, but to call Antrim out for 'getting themselves into such a mess' is compltely ignorant and misleading.
Anyway, we'll see you lads in Corrigan in a few weeks time when we can have a laugh about all this  ;D

Who owns Casement Park. Antrim GAA or Ulster GAA?

NatSoSaff

That's your counter argument?  ;D. Good luck lol

Itchy

Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 11, 2022, 06:23:03 PM
That's your counter argument?  ;D. Good luck lol

No lad, your grounds your responsibility. If you let a bunch of clowns come in and wreck it then that's on Antrim GAA. There is a serious chip on the shoulder up in Antrim, everyone is out to get ye. Biggest population, biggest city and nothing but whinging out of yis. Antrim should be consistently in Div1 and Div2.

Westside

Offering to host a game with a capacity of about 3 thousand for a game like this is a joke. Cavan could see that, as could nearly every other county in Ulster. Whether that's Antrim's fault or the Ulster Council's fault is irrelevant.

We played Tyrone and Down in 2018 when we were doing up the pitch in Breffni, games were played in Brewster. We didn't offer Kingscourt because it's not big enough. You play the game in a suitable venue or you don't play it.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Westside on March 11, 2022, 08:37:54 PM

Offering to host a game with a capacity of about 3 thousand for a game like this is a joke. Cavan could see that, as could nearly every other county in Ulster. Whether that's Antrim's fault or the Ulster Council's fault is irrelevant.

We played Tyrone and Down in 2018 when we were doing up the pitch in Breffni, games were played in Brewster. We didn't offer Kingscourt because it's not big enough. You play the game in a suitable venue or you don't play it.

What is suitable standards west side? Corrigan is safe, clean, comfortable
Covered stand, there is parking, a large club bar,  decent enough access. Why is that not enough?

Out of interest, what is your support averaging attendance wise in division 4 games these days?

Itchy

Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 11, 2022, 10:27:50 PM
Quote from: Westside on March 11, 2022, 08:37:54 PM

What is suitable standards west side? Corrigan is safe, clean, comfortable
Covered stand, there is parking, a large club bar,  decent enough access. Why is that not enough?

Out of interest, what is your support averaging attendance wise in division 4 games these days?

This is our 1st year ever in division 4, I'm sure Antrim of years of data built up on attendances in the division. But of course Div4 isn't ulster championship is it?

Westside

Capacity is obviously the main issue, you're talking about locking out a huge number of supporters. In 2019 after 3 years without winning an Ulster Championship game there were around 14,000 people in Breffni for the Monaghan game. If nobody from Antrim went to this game, Cavan supporters alone would easily fill Corrigan Park. We're not talking about a full game here where a few people will miss out, it will number probably into the thousands.

Cavan have been consistent on this long before this debacle, you play your games at a venue that can handle the crowd expected to attend. If you can't do that you go to another venue that can.

At this stage, any outcome is good for Antrim. There's a chip on their shoulder if it's played elsewhere, and if they push and get Corrigan Park that's a win too. Cavan are the bad guys. Also what's the notion that Cavan pulled some sort of stroke here? Was it the short notice or lack of communication before the motion was made?