Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on January 31, 2022, 09:12:50 AM
He may have been targeted, but he was throwing himself into tackles and could easily have had a yellow card for persistent fouling. At one point during that incident when they hit the ground Cormac was on top of the Leitrim player pushing his head down. Most times the ref gives two yellows.

I'm not criticising Cormac, I was impressed with his performance and work rate. He nailed down his starting spot. I just thought it was poor management from Mickey.

That's the incident I'm on about. Your man pulled Cormac to the ground and held him down, trying to get him the yellow card. And like Itchy says, practically every time this happens, the ref gives 2 yellows and your man was hoping for that. He was targeted here, the Leitrim fella knew what he was doing, and the linesman saw the whole thing. I'm glad he did, as the 2 yellows things refs do always sides with the aggressor and the lad protecting himself gets a card too. He maybe was on the edge in other parts, but this was definitely not a yellow for him

Westside

Fair enough, I didn't see what happened up until they got to the ground. At that point Cormac was pushing down on the Leitrim player and usually that's a yellow even if the Leitrim player instigated it. You're right though, it shouldn't be and the two yellows is often a cop out.

Gearoid back next week should give us more of a scoring threat and hopefully Paddy Lynch can continue his good form. Conor Smith looked decent when he came on. It will be interesting to see if the green shoots can result in these lads seriously bothering the scoreboard on a day where weather isn't such a factor.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on January 31, 2022, 10:38:07 AM
Fair enough, I didn't see what happened up until they got to the ground. At that point Cormac was pushing down on the Leitrim player and usually that's a yellow even if the Leitrim player instigated it. You're right though, it shouldn't be and the two yellows is often a cop out.

Gearoid back next week should give us more of a scoring threat and hopefully Paddy Lynch can continue his good form. Conor Smith looked decent when he came on. It will be interesting to see if the green shoots can result in these lads seriously bothering the scoreboard on a day where weather isn't such a factor.

Aye it was right in front of me, he pulled him down on top of him to make it look like it wasn't him who started it.

Yeah fully agree. Get McKiernan back and our half forward line looks completely different. Might free Lynch up as he becomes an option off his shoulder. On a good field, and the weather looking ok for Sunday, we should see it being brought up another notch. Conor Smith looked very lively when brought on, and was very unlucky with that effort that hit the post. With a forward line of Smith, Lynch, and Cormac O'Reilly, it is looking good there if they can keep going and developing. Would love a game when they just open up, rack up a scoreline, and gain the confidence to keep moving

Westside

Jordan Morris transfer to Kingscourt gone through, we should be doing everything possible to get him playing for Cavan.

rodney trotter

I don't think he intends to play with Cavan anytime soon. But maybe a few years playing with Kingscourt and settled in Cavan club football he might consider it

Still no sign of the transfer on the Gaa club transfer site.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 11, 2022, 10:56:38 AM
Jordan Morris transfer to Kingscourt gone through, we should be doing everything possible to get him playing for Cavan.

I don't know, if he wants to play for Cavan he should be coming to the county team making enquiries. I don't think Cavan should be lowering themselves to poaching players currently playing with other counties.

Now if his father and grandfather before him were Cavan men and he feels an affinity to the Breffni Blue then I have no issue with him asking to play for us but no poaching please. Lets leave that to the likes of Kildare.

Cavan19

Quote from: Itchy on February 15, 2022, 08:58:40 AM

I don't know, if he wants to play for Cavan he should be coming to the county team making enquiries. I don't think Cavan should be lowering themselves to poaching players currently playing with other counties.

Now if his father and grandfather before him were Cavan men and he feels an affinity to the Breffni Blue then I have no issue with him asking to play for us but no poaching please. Lets leave that to the likes of Kildare.

It is not poaching asking a player who is eligible to play for the county if they have interest in playing, although in this case the respectable thing to do is let the lad decide himself.

rodney trotter

He wouldn't really be a blow in as he lived in Kingscourt when he was younger and went to school there. His father played Minor with Cavan

It will be interesting a few years down the line will he stay committed with Meath.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on February 15, 2022, 08:58:40 AM

I don't see the harm in management asking the question of him, the same as they would any club player in Cavan.

Itchy

U20s hammered by westmeath last night, the state of our underage setup should be at emergency levels in the county board. We have pissed away the great work done 10 years ago and as we look to the future when that crop retire in the coming years well that future is Div3 level. Really depressing as I thought back then we were on an upward trajectory.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on March 05, 2022, 09:59:29 AM
U20s hammered by westmeath last night, the state of our underage setup should be at emergency levels in the county board. We have pissed away the great work done 10 years ago and as we look to the future when that crop retire in the coming years well that future is Div3 level. Really depressing as I thought back then we were on an upward trajectory.

I'd really like to know where things went wrong. From 2008 to 2017 we produced lots of good minor and u21 players and teams, we were competive for the most part. Things fell off a cliff then and it's difficult to pick out anyone that might be capable of stepping up to senior level.

Did we start doing something different or just fail to evolve and other counties bypassed us?

Fully agree that the county board needs to get their hand around this issue to stop the rot.

Look-Up!

It's difficult to know exactly what's changed. Only those in charge can answer that but it shouldn't be underestimated how good a job TH did while in there. He created an environment of hard work and application where no one was bigger than the team and everyone was given equal opportunity regardless of where they came from. He was very proactive in contacting clubs trying to get lads involved and he believed in having big all inclusive panels. Some would argue it was coincidence and he just got lucky with a good conveyor belt at the time but each to their own.

It's funny what success can do. I know forums might not necessarily reflect accurately the mood of a county but I do remember reading some posts from that time and the consensus among some was that "they were sick of the success of the U21s" and "the football was being coached out of our players" and they would far rather have average underage teams with a couple of "superstars" every year than workman like teams who go further but with limited forwards for future senior teams. Mind boggling stuff. I'm not suggesting this would be policy regarding coaching in our county setup but I do think we placed less emphasis in having well organised teams after those years and there was a belief that better forwards were coming through. I think budget wise too, didn't we cut the panel numbers down considerably? One thing I would add though, during the successful years I never heard complaints of lads walking away not being given a fair crack but the last few years it seems to be a complaint you hear more and more. 

Itchy

Anyone hear D Donohoe on wearecavan, Jesus he was very downbeat and you would hold up much hope for them in the championship.

On another note with seniors going 4/4 I hope westside is starting to believe!!

Look-Up!

Very bad vibes all round regarding the U20's. Will take some turnaround to get any sort of run in championship.

As for the seniors, so far so good regarding points collected and a win this weekend should pretty much guarantee promotion. Without pulling up any trees we've been good enough for where we are but bigger tests await. Hopefully we get a few injured players back and improve a bit more before the Antrim match. Would be nice to go into championship with a settled team especially up front. My big concerns though would be lack of pace especially in attack and no reliable free taker.