Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

I didn't think yesterday was all that bad. I thought there was a good shift put in by most players, I thought there was a sense of urgency displayed at most stages in the game. Longford kicked some big scores which kept them in the game and we kicked a lot of poor wides which helped that too. As usual we were most dangerous when breaking forward and delivery into the full forward line resulted in a lot of recycled ball. When we go long it's rarely followed by a man running at the defender or laying of to runners off the shoulder.

I was very impressed with Cian Reilly yesterday, thought it was a great display from a youngster. Good positioning and man marking. Paddy Lynch looks talented but maybe a bit overly casual at times? James Smith was brilliant for the first half, think he's alright if social media is anything to go by.

There seems to be a general sense that we'll be lucky to avoid a hiding from Derry. I know they're going well but are they at that level yet?

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on May 23, 2021, 10:27:53 PM
I didn't think yesterday was all that bad. I thought there was a good shift put in by most players, I thought there was a sense of urgency displayed at most stages in the game. Longford kicked some big scores which kept them in the game and we kicked a lot of poor wides which helped that too. As usual we were most dangerous when breaking forward and delivery into the full forward line resulted in a lot of recycled ball. When we go long it's rarely followed by a man running at the defender or laying of to runners off the shoulder.

I was very impressed with Cian Reilly yesterday, thought it was a great display from a youngster. Good positioning and man marking. Paddy Lynch looks talented but maybe a bit overly casual at times? James Smith was brilliant for the first half, think he's alright if social media is anything to go by.

There seems to be a general sense that we'll be lucky to avoid a hiding from Derry. I know they're going well but are they at that level yet?

Derry were in division 4 last yr, let's not build them up to be all ireland contenders just yet. If cavan bring their 2nd half performance to the game they can and will win.

rodney trotter

It was 2 year's ago Derry were in Division 4. They missed out on promotion to Cork and Down last year.
They aren't All Ireland contenders but playing at a good tempo.
Cavan were still sloppy in the second half giving away the penalty. They were the better team but need an improvement against Derry.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 24, 2021, 08:36:16 AM
It was 2 year's ago Derry were in Division 4. They missed out on promotion to Cork and Down last year.
They aren't All Ireland contenders but playing at a good tempo.
Cavan were still sloppy in the second half giving away the penalty. They were the better team but need an improvement against Derry.

Yes but you get my point, we are Ulster champions and Derry are going well for sure but in Div 3. I read people saying Derry will hammer us! That should not be the case. And yes we do need an improvement, what we brought to the 2nd half against Longford would be a start.

Dreadnought

I think this Derry game is where Graham will come alive. Those first 2 games were typical league shadow boxing, and he has tried out a good few players, positions and tactics. This Derry match has more of a look of a championship match, in that there's a lot at stake than just a usual league match. Win and you go forward to the semis, lose and you're most likely into the relegation playoff. Graham will have been aiming for this match either way as a continual build up to the championship, and I think we'll be better prepared and ready for that. Derry are built up a little bit more than they are I think, and that's fine by us when we're not favourites and when a team thinks they'll come easy by us. They are a recent Div 4 and Div 3 team for a reason, even though they are playing well. They won't run through us like they did Longford and Fermanagh, as we have the players to shut them down more. They had the look of flat track bullies who didn't take their foot off. They'll not get it all their own way on Saturday like their last 2 games and they haven't been in a battle yet this year, the likes of Fermanagh game and Longford at times will stand to us more I think. No doubt it will be tight, but hoping for a slender Cavan win.

Dreadnought

Also any word on Ciaran Holla? Didn't look good, but hoping he's ok. He's the type of lad we need the coming weeks...

Look-Up!

It's a match we really need to win but I'd be a bit worried. We needed a similar reaction against Kildare and Roscommon last year but were very flat. Derry will be the best opposition we have met so far this year, that's very clear to me. I wouldn't read too much into where they were 2 years ago. They are a great footballing county but infighting and pettiness has worked against them. The new manager seems to have them going well again and if he can get the best players in the county to buy into their cause then their transformation will be very rapid.
They have always produces class players, and still do. I don't think anyone in Cavan need reminding of their current crop, they have outperformed us often enough at underage the last few years. Make no mistake, any serious footballing men in Derry will see Division 2 as a minimum of where they should be at and next Saturday they will be out to make a statement.
Talk of shadow boxing and being in control of where we need to be, or having one eye on the championship is fanciful IMO. We needed to hit the ground running this year and move up, we haven't so far. Any anything other than a huge improvement in what we've seen so far will have us looking at a relegation playoff.

Westside

I watched the Derry game. They are a big athletic side, the sort we usually struggle against. Well organised defensively. Look very dangerous going forward with hard running and men coming off the shoulder. McGuigan seems to be the big threat up front. Fermanagh though were absolutely awful, couldn't get the basics right. Leaving men completely unmarked in their own full forward line. They didn't manage to put anywhere the same defensive press as they did in the Cavan game.

Derry are going well and momentum counts for a lot but I have yet to see enough from Derry to worry about a hammering. If we go after this game like we should, Derry deep down know they're through and that might work in our favour.

Look-Up!

I suppose next week will tell the tale. I just worry when I hear Derry almost being dismissed as Div 4 opposition and talk of us as Ulster Champions. The Polo Grounds will have as much bearing on next week as the Athletic Grounds.

The plan for 2021 was to hit the ground running and build on last year. Longford and Fermanagh, though always tough opposition were must win games. There's no spin on it to paint what we've seen so far as anything other than a massive let down. Derry were in the same boat going into the season and have kept with the script. We need to snap out of our lethargy and get with the programme quick. I worry with what I've seen so far. I haven't seen too much building on last year. A lot of lads blooded last year seem to have been discarded and we're back to blooding kids. There's also the question marks over injuries and discipline. Depending on team available and referee, player indifference and a couple of black cards (not out of the question), I wouldn't be too dismissive of a hiding. We got one last year off Armagh.

Maybe I'm worrying too much but a massive step up is needed for next week. Derry have the bit between the teeth and will be all out for a win. If the shoe was on the other foot we would be looking to give them a lesson and keep momentum for the playoffs. Teams lose all the time and Derry are a decent outfit so I'll not be too unforgiving if we lose as long as we put in a big performance in a quality game. Anything less than that and we're sleep walking towards relegation.

It's not unthinkable for a team to free fall from top to bottom division. It has happened very recently to both Westmeath and Derry. And if we think we're too good for it to happen to us then all the ingredients will be there. If Derry trim us and Longford don't get us out of jail, then we could be going to somewhere like Limerick God forbid, a not too happy hunting ground for us. And if we're marching to the tune of "we are the Ulster Champions yes we are", then I'd be watching from behind the sofa.

rodney trotter

Shane McGuigan has caused Cavan trouble since he was a Minor in 2015. He's a really good footballer. They have Gareth McKinless back this year at Centre back, hadn't played in a few years with Derry.

I don't think anyone has really said Derry will hammer Cavan, but they will be a step up from what Cavan have played. Conor Glass in his firs year back from Afl moving very well.

Westside

Quote from: Look-Up! on May 24, 2021, 06:32:28 PM
I suppose next week will tell the tale. I just worry when I hear Derry almost being dismissed as Div 4 opposition and talk of us as Ulster Champions. The Polo Grounds will have as much bearing on next week as the Athletic Grounds.

The plan for 2021 was to hit the ground running and build on last year. Longford and Fermanagh, though always tough opposition were must win games. There's no spin on it to paint what we've seen so far as anything other than a massive let down. Derry were in the same boat going into the season and have kept with the script. We need to snap out of our lethargy and get with the programme quick. I worry with what I've seen so far. I haven't seen too much building on last year. A lot of lads blooded last year seem to have been discarded and we're back to blooding kids. There's also the question marks over injuries and discipline. Depending on team available and referee, player indifference and a couple of black cards (not out of the question), I wouldn't be too dismissive of a hiding. We got one last year off Armagh.

Maybe I'm worrying too much but a massive step up is needed for next week. Derry have the bit between the teeth and will be all out for a win. If the shoe was on the other foot we would be looking to give them a lesson and keep momentum for the playoffs. Teams lose all the time and Derry are a decent outfit so I'll not be too unforgiving if we lose as long as we put in a big performance in a quality game. Anything less than that and we're sleep walking towards relegation.

It's not unthinkable for a team to free fall from top to bottom division. It has happened very recently to both Westmeath and Derry. And if we think we're too good for it to happen to us then all the ingredients will be there. If Derry trim us and Longford don't get us out of jail, then we could be going to somewhere like Limerick God forbid, a not too happy hunting ground for us. And if we're marching to the tune of "we are the Ulster Champions yes we are", then I'd be watching from behind the sofa.

I dont think it's fair to start using the Ulster title as a stick to beat the team with. I personally dont think we've seen any signs of arrogance or lack of effort from the team so far. No sign that they let the Ulster win go to their heads or thought that they could show up and stroll through this league.
We went into a local derby against a highly motivated and well organised Fermanagh side and lost by a single point. Let's not turn on them over it.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Westside on May 24, 2021, 09:00:16 PM

I dont think it's fair to start using the Ulster title as a stick to beat the team with. I personally dont think we've seen any signs of arrogance or lack of effort from the team so far. No sign that they let the Ulster win go to their heads or thought that they could show up and stroll through this league.
We went into a local derby against a highly motivated and well organised Fermanagh side and lost by a single point. Let's not turn on them over it.
I'm not turning on them and I'm sure they're putting in a massive effort. We lost to Fermanagh, was always a possibility so no use crying over spilt milk now. Beat Longford so points in the bag, back on track somewhat. But next weekend is massive and management need to have the team in correct frame of mind. Need to approach it like a Championship game, same way we needed to approach the league from the start owing to the short schedule and tiny margin for error. Haven't seen it so far but here's hoping we see a bit of the fire back.

Look-Up!

What are peoples' opinion on the system we've seen so far. Owing to the short league and opposition it would probably have been a bit risky to go too open but it is Division 3 and a chance to develop on attacking play and getting younger forwards a bit of confidence. But we've been very conservative so far and more or less setup like we're playing Donegal, minus the intensity.

I'm not sure this is good for us long term, difficult to develop inside forwards if they're expected to defend all the way back to their own 45 all the time. I doubt we'll see much change against Derry but it would be nice if we took a few more risks and left a few more forwards inside to expend their energy on winning ball and taking on defenders.

Dreadnought

I think you're being unduly negative, especially with a number of factors to think of first. Derry are way further down the line than us this season. With regulations in the North, they've been training and played challenges far longer this season than us (and beyond that too if you listen to rumours). But even so, they look to be peaking early. Graham has always said League is a means to an end, but that he's not peaking for it. Sure we want to win, but you can see he's tried out a lot of new players, positions and so on. He'll be aiming for Tyrone and no further. Let others go hell for leather and peak for the league.

And saying that, Derry haven't been tested yet. Those wins by that margin don't mean much, as they haven't been in a 70+ minute match yet. They haven't been in a fight yet, so we don't know what they'll be like when a team actually fronts up against them. Make no mistake that Cavan will be a different level to what they've faced in a while. We've been getting better, getting back up to speed after the highs last year and learning about ourselves again, while they've not even been tested yet. There's a reason Cavan are still slight favourites with the bookies once you look at all factors. Derry are also already through to the semis bar a huge point swing and other things that won't happen. You might even see them ease up and try a few new players themselves. Cavan's need is greater, and all things considered it'll be close based on a number of factors.

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 25, 2021, 08:21:34 AM

I think you're being unduly negative, especially with a number of factors to think of first. Derry are way further down the line than us this season. With regulations in the North, they've been training and played challenges far longer this season than us (and beyond that too if you listen to rumours). But even so, they look to be peaking early. Graham has always said League is a means to an end, but that he's not peaking for it. Sure we want to win, but you can see he's tried out a lot of new players, positions and so on. He'll be aiming for Tyrone and no further. Let others go hell for leather and peak for the league.

And saying that, Derry haven't been tested yet. Those wins by that margin don't mean much, as they haven't been in a 70+ minute match yet. They haven't been in a fight yet, so we don't know what they'll be like when a team actually fronts up against them. Make no mistake that Cavan will be a different level to what they've faced in a while. We've been getting better, getting back up to speed after the highs last year and learning about ourselves again, while they've not even been tested yet. There's a reason Cavan are still slight favourites with the bookies once you look at all factors. Derry are also already through to the semis bar a huge point swing and other things that won't happen. You might even see them ease up and try a few new players themselves. Cavan's need is greater, and all things considered it'll be close based on a number of factors.

Bookies have Cavan as marginal favourites. I would agree with your assessment there Dreadnought. I just hope Mickey is respecting this game as I personally do think getting out of Div3 should be a priority for us