Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on December 08, 2020, 12:16:26 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 07, 2020, 07:06:29 PM
Substitution with 15 to go.

Why can you not just come out and say it ?

I presume it is Conor Brady he is on about.
It's not a personal attack on the lad, if you're picked you of course are going to accept but he was clearly way off the pace. I think the team folded after that and Dublin easily walked down through the middle. They were other options that could have given us more energy at that time. Even dropping someone like Galligan back and putting another forward on. And I don't agree on Buchanan letting his fitness go. He has put in huge work this year and is visibly in great shape. I'm not saying he should have been put on but he at least deserved to keep his place in the 26 and would have been a better option than the one they went with. Lads are not stupid. I think Graham has done a great job this year but I wonder how much of that decision was his.   

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 08, 2020, 09:49:35 PM

It's not a personal attack on the lad, if you're picked you of course are going to accept but he was clearly way off the pace. I think the team folded after that and Dublin easily walked down through the middle. They were other options that could have given us more energy at that time. Even dropping someone like Galligan back and putting another forward on. And I don't agree on Buchanan letting his fitness go. He has put in huge work this year and is visibly in great shape. I'm not saying he should have been put on but he at least deserved to keep his place in the 26 and would have been a better option than the one they went with. Lads are not stupid. I think Graham has done a great job this year but I wonder how much of that decision was his.

How do you know what Buchanan "deserved" or anyone else on the panel. We don't get to see whats going on at training and Liam hasn't played 1 minute of championship football this year. He has done massive work on fitness, 100% agree but he started from a long way behind. I'd say he needed this year and next year could be his yr. I hope he sticks at it. There's bound to be lots of fellas upset with mickey choices, I wouldn't be happy if they weren't but quiting is the old cavan. The new cavan doesn't do quiting.

Itchy

I think if I were Mickey there is one other thing I would like to get ticked off the bucket list is to win silverware in Croke park. We have been in a Div 3 final and 2 x Div 2 finals and lost them all. I think Div 3 this year has to offer us a chance to win a final there and that would get that monkey off our back. I see no reason why we couldnt do that. Second thing is to try and convince your Martin Reillys, Ray Galligan and Gearoid McKiernans etc to stick with the team for another year. At all cost we need to avoid what happened in 97, we have some good young players but they will not succeed without experienced players in the camp to help them. Obviously Keeping Mickey and Andre Quinn especially is very important for continuity. Mickey being a Cavan man I am sure is going nowhere, Andre Quinn could be in big demand. For first time in a long time we look to be making S&C progress it would be criminal to break the continuity we have there.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on December 08, 2020, 10:43:12 PM

How do you know what Buchanan "deserved" or anyone else on the panel. We don't get to see whats going on at training and Liam hasn't played 1 minute of championship football this year. He has done massive work on fitness, 100% agree but he started from a long way behind. I'd say he needed this year and next year could be his yr. I hope he sticks at it. There's bound to be lots of fellas upset with mickey choices, I wouldn't be happy if they weren't but quiting is the old cavan. The new cavan doesn't do quiting.
Liam Buchanan has played more football than Conor Brady all year plus he has trained and been part of squad all through 2nd phase and Ulster campaign. Brady's first and only training session was just before Dublin match. You talk of the old Cavan, that's the type of BS that has happened all too often in the past. There was absolutely no justifiable reason to do this and start f*&^*&g around with a squad that has just won Ulster and rocking the boat. If it was an all star coming back who pulled up trees for the team in the past then fair enough but this was certainly not the case.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 09, 2020, 02:04:29 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 08, 2020, 10:43:12 PM

Liam Buchanan has played more football than Conor Brady all year plus he has trained and been part of squad all through 2nd phase and Ulster campaign. Brady's first and only training session was just before Dublin match. You talk of the old Cavan, that's the type of BS that has happened all too often in the past. There was absolutely no justifiable reason to do this and start f*&^*&g around with a squad that has just won Ulster and rocking the boat. If it was an all star coming back who pulled up trees for the team in the past then fair enough but this was certainly not the case.

Well I am not on the panel so I dont know. However you accused the management of bias to certain clubs which doesn't stack up when you see Graham drop his own brother. I don't know the rights and wrongs of it and I have no inside information but I am willing to trust the manager on his decisions, even if they look odd from the outside looking in.

Look-Up!

Looking at our performance for the last 15 minutes I would use a stronger term than odd for the decision.

Cavan19

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 09, 2020, 07:28:26 PM
Looking at our performance for the last 15 minutes I would use a stronger term than odd for the decision.

Some things work and some don't.

Mangers make calls and some things work and some don't. They got a lot of things right this championship but they also got plenty wrong.  It seems to be bothering you i would advise you to forget about it as it's not a decision that cost us the game.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on December 11, 2020, 10:06:01 AM

Mangers make calls and some things work and some don't. They got a lot of things right this championship but they also got plenty wrong.  It seems to be bothering you i would advise you to forget about it as it's not a decision that cost us the game.
It's a discussion thread about Cavan football where people give opinions. It's true for every manager past and present where some things work and don't, but are we only allowed to discuss some things and not others?
I never said it cost the game. We've had a great year and one to build on but decisions like this don't fill me with confidence and leaves a bad taste in the mouth when we should be buzzing for next year.

reillycavan

Please god Moynagh and McVeety return to Cavan  set up next year.

Cavan19

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 12, 2020, 02:22:46 PM

It's a discussion thread about Cavan football where people give opinions. It's true for every manager past and present where some things work and don't, but are we only allowed to discuss some things and not others?
I never said it cost the game. We've had a great year and one to build on but decisions like this don't fill me with confidence and leaves a bad taste in the mouth when we should be buzzing for next year.

You are the only person either on a forum online or from the many i have been talking to about the game who has even mentioned this. Havent even seen it on Hoganstand and there a plenty there who stick the knife in when given the chance.  Is there a personal element to your grievance?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 09:54:57 AM

You are the only person either on a forum online or from the many i have been talking to about the game who has even mentioned this. Havent even seen it on Hoganstand and there a plenty there who stick the knife in when given the chance.  Is there a personal element to your grievance?
I've spoken to plenty who aren't happy with decision.

Cavan19

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 14, 2020, 01:40:15 PM

Is there a personal element to your grievance, what club are you from?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 01:55:28 PM

No personal element and none of your business what club I'm from. The only personal element that I can see on here is that no one is allowed to say anything remotely critical of this management no matter how badly they behave.
If people want to put their total faith in them then fair enough, that's their business but I've yet to see a single response explaining the positives of the decision they went with. There is none. The only response is to shut up and don't question.

Cavan19

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 14, 2020, 02:29:58 PM

No personal element and none of your business what club I'm from. The only personal element that I can see on here is that no one is allowed to say anything remotely critical of this management no matter how badly they behave.
If people want to put their total faith in them then fair enough, that's their business but I've yet to see a single response explaining the positives of the decision they went with. There is none. The only response is to shut up and don't question.

That wouldn't be a personal element but anyway management made load of mistakes in the first 3 games in the Ulster Championship that were glossed over by getting to the final and winning it i don't think anyone would argue with that.   

What positives do you want a lad came on and did f**k all it probably wasn't the best decision made all year  but it isn't leaving a bad taste in to many mouths around the county. I think you must be a Ballymachugh looking out for your man.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on December 14, 2020, 03:04:22 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on December 14, 2020, 02:29:58 PM

That wouldn't be a personal element but anyway management made load of mistakes in the first 3 games in the Ulster Championship that were glossed over by getting to the final and winning it i don't think anyone would argue with that.   

What positives do you want a lad came on and did f**k all it probably wasn't the best decision made all year  but it isn't leaving a bad taste in to many mouths around the county. I think you must be a Ballymachugh looking out for your man.
I'm not Ballymachugh not that it matters but I was just very disappointed for the lad and a few others. End of the day all those players have got Cavan their first senior Ulster medals in 23 years and morale and team spirit were as good as I've seen. Think it was very disrespectful messing with a winning squad like that just before an AI semi. It was only ever going to blow up in their faces and goes completely against the mantra they've been preaching since last summer that only total commitment accepted and if you don't put in the hard yards you won't make the panel.