Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: five points on August 13, 2020, 02:03:39 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 13, 2020, 08:27:15 AM
Quote from: Duckquay on August 12, 2020, 10:12:42 PM
Quote from: five points on August 12, 2020, 02:42:57 PM
Gearoid owes Swad nothing. And had he transferred to Butlersbridge, nobody would have batted an eyelid.  Nobody outside the clubs in question really cares who Ray Cullivan or Aaron Watson plays for.

With all due respect I don't think you would be in a position to definitively say what he owes Swad or not. Agree with you re. Cullivan and Watson

Its actually a phrase I really hate, "X owes his club nothing". We all owe our clubs quite a bit in my opinion. They trained us from U8/U10 all the way up to senior at little cost to the player or his/her parents. In the case of Gearoid it might be added this then gave him the chance to represent Cavan which should be a great honour for every player. He also got to play in an All Ireland final with Swad. All this opportunity delivered by hard working club volunteers and yes by a hard working player too. As they say eaten food is soon forgotten.

The club had an opportunity to object to his transfer.  They didn't avail of it.

Anyone who serves their club in any capacity for more than a decade owes it nothing,  in my view. 

Had he quit football altogether nobody would be complaining.

Are you from Cavan Gaels?

five points

Quote from: marty34 on August 13, 2020, 06:37:05 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D

This is an anti-Gaels thing, isn't it?

Duckquay

I definitely have no Gaels agenda anyway.
Our views of what "club" is and means are poles apart. I've played at every age group up to adult and I can tell you that if I was walking away at 29 the amount of complaining that would be done would be outrageous! And I'm no superstar. I've played adult club for 20 years and have did the selling tickets gig, the underage coaching and the works. But I would never ever feel like I'm owed anything. I have some of the best days of my life with my club and that's without winning anything major. Maybe I'm the eegit though  ;D

marty34

Itchy

Quote from: marty34 on August 14, 2020, 10:06:10 PM
Quote from: five points on August 14, 2020, 10:18:49 AM
Quote from: marty34 on August 13, 2020, 06:37:05 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D

This is an anti-Gaels thing, isn't it?

I take that's a yes then.

It didn't do the gaels much good today, bet out the gate by Ramor.

Westside

Gearoid is a player who excels when on top. He has rarely shown the ability to dig in and lead when things aren't going well. Leaving Swad was no different, they were on a poor run and he had no interest in relegation battles and junior football so he left to play Senior Football with a heavyweight senior club, he does not live in the area of that club. His behaviour in his last couple of games for Swad was embarrassing. The transfer is not technically against the rules but that's the only defence that can be mounted for him it seems.

All that being said, I think Swad are much better off. They have an influx of Corlough lads who have livened things up and given them fresh impetus. The looming figure of McKiernan is something they can do without. The Gaels get a generational talent with a renewed vigour for club football. So there's potentially no losers here long term.

five points

mrdeeds

Kingscourt v Mullahoran
Xlough v Gowna
Castlerahan v Lavey
Ramor v Gaels

Westside

Another decent weekend of games. Ballinagh look a cut above the rest in intermediate.

Something really needs to be done in Junior, the Maghera result for the teams that drew them skews the whole table. Swad were hard done by, beat 2 Quarter Finalists and go out, Kildallan beat Redhills and hammered Maghera and go through.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Westside on September 07, 2020, 10:20:58 AM
Another decent weekend of games. Ballinagh look a cut above the rest in intermediate.

Something really needs to be done in Junior, the Maghera result for the teams that drew them skews the whole table. Swad were hard done by, beat 2 Quarter Finalists and go out, Kildallan beat Redhills and hammered Maghera and go through.

Maybe Maghera should do what Corlough done and let their players play with Munterconnacht?

Westside

Any idea what the numbers are like in Maghera? The decision was more or less forced on Corlough because they weren't going to be able to field and could probably have been made a couple of years earlier.

If they have numbers and want to make a go of it then grand, but the score difference needs to be ignored from these games because it's making a Maghera result into 3 points more or less. Should probably ignore the score difference against the lowest ranked team or something to that effect.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Westside on September 07, 2020, 04:09:34 PM
Any idea what the numbers are like in Maghera? The decision was more or less forced on Corlough because they weren't going to be able to field and could probably have been made a couple of years earlier.

If they have numbers and want to make a go of it then grand, but the score difference needs to be ignored from these games because it's making a Maghera result into 3 points more or less. Should probably ignore the score difference against the lowest ranked team or something to that effect.

They toggef 21 out for championship but a lot of them are lads just togging out to make sure they field. If all the players from Maghera togged out for them rather than Ramor they'd have a strong team.

Itchy

Kingscourt thump the gaels 2-12 to 0-10 playing more than half the game without Padraig Faulkner. The Gaels will need to spend wisely in next seasons transfer market.

Kingscourt v Crosserlough County final and its on rte live next Saturday evening

marty34

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 07, 2020, 07:25:47 PM
Quote from: Westside on September 07, 2020, 04:09:34 PM

They toggef 21 out for championship but a lot of them are lads just togging out to make sure they field. If all the players from Maghera togged out for them rather than Ramor they'd have a strong team.

Have Corlough folded?