Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 12, 2020, 01:05:53 PM
Plenty of transfers can be way of convenience., Rory Gallagher transferred to Cavan and wasn't living in Cavan. Played a few games with Crosserlough and left that summer.

It doesn't make it right but players take advantage of rules

No doubt, but it doesnt make it right as you correctly say. And people are within their rights to point out rotten carry on like this whether it be club or county transfers. Look at the damage the last one did to Cavan football.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on August 12, 2020, 01:32:06 PM

No doubt, but it doesnt make it right as you correctly say. And people are within their rights to point out rotten carry on like this whether it be club or county transfers. Look at the damage the last one did to Cavan football.

What exactly is the "rotten carry on" here?

And as regards "the last one", if its the same (intercounty) transfer that we're thinking of, the big loser in that one was the player who transferred.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on August 12, 2020, 02:29:11 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 12, 2020, 01:32:06 PM

What exactly is the "rotten carry on" here?

And as regards "the last one", if its the same (intercounty) transfer that we're thinking of, the big loser in that one was the player who transferred.

If you need me to spell it out for you no problem. The GAA is at its heart a parish level organisation. You are from a parish and you play for that parish. You are from a county and you play for that county. The rotten carry on is moving clubs and or county for your own selfish reasons - whether it is to win, play at a higher level or whatever. It puts you and your own development ahead of the parish/team/county you represent. I call that rotten behaviour. Now i understand that people move and would play somewhere else due to change of address etc. However in the case of Gearoid, he has turned down the team where he lives in favour (by his own admission) his desire to play senior football. In the case of Johnson, he wanted to play county for any county when he was dropped, rather than force his way back into the Cavan team and dragged the county through the media when he done it for months. Again, in my opinion this is rotten behaviour. Maybe within the rules but in my view against the ethos of the GAA.

five points

Gearoid owes Swad nothing. And had he transferred to Butlersbridge, nobody would have batted an eyelid.  Nobody outside the clubs in question really cares who Ray Cullivan or Aaron Watson plays for.

mrdeeds

You don't just play for the parish you're from, but also where you live as a way to integrate into a new community.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on August 12, 2020, 02:42:57 PM
Gearoid owes Swad nothing. And had he transferred to Butlersbridge, nobody would have batted an eyelid.  Nobody outside the clubs in question really cares who Ray Cullivan or Aaron Watson plays for.

Isnt that exactly what I said!! Thats where he should have gone and that would be fine with me as that is where he is living.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 12, 2020, 03:01:57 PM
You don't just play for the parish you're from, but also where you live as a way to integrate into a new community.

Again, exactly what I said. He should have moved to the Bridge, no issues from me with him doing that.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on August 12, 2020, 03:44:32 PM

Again, exactly what I said. He should have moved to the Bridge, no issues from me with him doing that.

If he had moved to the Bridge, he'd have more than likely ended up playing against Swad. Maybe that wouldn't have bothered him, but if it did, I'd see his point.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on August 12, 2020, 04:01:58 PM

If he had moved to the Bridge, he'd have more than likely ended up playing against Swad. Maybe that wouldn't have bothered him, but if it did, I'd see his point.

Except he told parkinson his motivation was to play senior football.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on August 12, 2020, 06:09:09 PM

Well he's hardly going to tell an interviewer that he doesn't want to play against his native club.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on August 12, 2020, 06:38:23 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 12, 2020, 06:09:09 PM

Well he's hardly going to tell an interviewer that he doesn't want to play against his native club.

Why not?

rodney trotter

He wouldn'have been playing against them this year, had he joined the bridge. The are Intermediate and Division 2, Swad junior and Division 3. ButlersBridge have a decent team and he might have been the extra spark for them to win a Intermediate.

Nonetheless, he's probaly friends with a good few Cavan Gaels players. He would have played with the likes of Niall Murray, Niall Smith, Kevin Meehan, Maloney Derham, from County U16 to U21s

Duckquay

With all due respect I don't think you would be in a position to definitively say what he owes Swad or not. Agree with you re. Cullivan and Watson

Itchy

Quote from: Duckquay on August 12, 2020, 10:12:42 PM

With all due respect I don't think you would be in a position to definitively say what he owes Swad or not. Agree with you re. Cullivan and Watson

Its actually a phrase I really hate, "X owes his club nothing". We all owe our clubs quite a bit in my opinion. They trained us from U8/U10 all the way up to senior at little cost to the player or his/her parents. In the case of Gearoid it might be added this then gave him the chance to represent Cavan which should be a great honour for every player. He also got to play in an All Ireland final with Swad. All this opportunity delivered by hard working club volunteers and yes by a hard working player too. As they say eaten food is soon forgotten.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on August 13, 2020, 08:27:15 AM
Quote from: Duckquay on August 12, 2020, 10:12:42 PM

Its actually a phrase I really hate, "X owes his club nothing". We all owe our clubs quite a bit in my opinion. They trained us from U8/U10 all the way up to senior at little cost to the player or his/her parents. In the case of Gearoid it might be added this then gave him the chance to represent Cavan which should be a great honour for every player. He also got to play in an All Ireland final with Swad. All this opportunity delivered by hard working club volunteers and yes by a hard working player too. As they say eaten food is soon forgotten.

The club had an opportunity to object to his transfer.  They didn't avail of it.

Anyone who serves their club in any capacity for more than a decade owes it nothing,  in my view. 

Had he quit football altogether nobody would be complaining.