Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

A very impressive (well I would say that wouldn't I  ;D) 2nd half performance saw Ballinagh through on Sunday with a convincing 1-13 to 2-5 victory of a strong Tyholland side. After starting well and notching the first scores of the tie Tyholland soon showed their danger with some slick moves and fast interchanges landing them both their goals and sending them in at half time four points to the good (2-3 to 0-5). We started the second half a much different side and in the end it was the 100% improvement in work ethic that earned us the spoils. Best for Ballinagh were Paul Galligan, Niall McDermott, Niall O'Reilly, Patrick Carroll and Cian McDermott with Kevin Smith and Anthony Duffy also producing fine displays when introduced. Ballinagh now take on the winners of Fanad Gaels (Donegal) and Killyman (Tyrone) who drew at the weekend and will meet again next Sunday.

I only caught the first half of the Killeshandra match as I had an awful thirst on me  :P and the leaguers looked home and dry. For the bit I did see, it was an excellent display from the young Killeshandra side who snuffed out all Ahoghill's attacks and drove at there defense in waves. I was quite surprised to hear how tight it finished in the end as the Antrim side seemed to have no answer for the gallant leaguers in the first half. It's hard to believe that this team is propelled by two 19 year olds at midfield. The future looks very prosperous for Slashers lot.

Commiserations to Cavan Gaels it would have been a great boost for the county to see the three teams progress to the semi-finals stages but alas by all accounts St. Galls were a step too far. Johnston was obviously a big loss as the Gaels struggled to find the scores necessary to compete. Encouraging to hear reports of a good Mícheal Lyng display who seems to be getting back to himself and could really make a difference to Cavan can he stay of the stretcher.

I was in attendance alright LackenLegend for the sudden death encounter and I must say a draw was a fair result as there was nothing between the two sides (Duh!). The football at times may not have been for the purists but it remained an exciting and tense affair throughout. The moving of Joe Crowe to midfield swung the match back in Lacken's favour with brother Trevor and himself dominating midfield in the 2nd half. Had Finbar Reilly been given a little more help inside my neighbours would be enjoying another year in the top flight. I thought the Stars' two corner backs were very impressive. I'm told the replay is likely to take place in Mullahoran under lights on Friday night. The immediacy will probably cost both sides of their full-backs with both Paul Brady (Lacken) and Wakely (Kingscourt) leaving the pitch with injuries on Saturday.

I also caught some of the Redhills Vs Mountnugent u21 game on Saturday afternoon. Redhills came through easy enough and have strong physical outfit that will mean a very interesting tie when they meet our own u21 side this Saturday. David Finnegan will be a big loss to the Ballinagh after pulling his hamstring in the Tyholland clash.

Quote from: Handball Ace on November 05, 2007, 05:12:43 PM
I heard it was extremely close all right, should Lacken have won it?

Rumour has it Gavin Crowe was a big loss due to flatulence?

Knowing the family this is probably true, the Crowe brothers have emptied many a pub over the years.  :D

LackenLegend

Quote from: Homer on November 05, 2007, 10:46:24 PM
I'm told the replay is likely to take place in Mullahoran under lights on Friday night.

I really hope this isn't true as the Kingscourt lads would have a slight advantage of being used to playing under lights.

Quote from: Handball Ace on November 05, 2007, 05:12:43 PM
I heard it was extremely close all right, should Lacken have won it?

Rumour has it Gavin Crowe was a big loss due to flatulence?

Yes this is so. Gavin's flatulence has been the demise of his playing career. A sad finish to a promising career.
Timmmmy!

Homer

Forgot to mention this last night. Both Gowna and Castlerahen won their respective League games at the weekend and will now face each other in a play-off to decide who will meet Cavan Gaels in the Division 1 League final.

I really don't mean to sound like sour grapes here but does anyone else feel that the league should return to its "top four through to a semi-final" format. I found that the league became very meaningless for a lot of mid-table teams as the competition approached the final rounds this year, whereas at the same stage last year every team had something to play for (be it relegation or a semi-final spot). Any thoughts?

mylestheslasher

Homer. Agree with you on that. But the fourth and fifth placed teams, if level on points, should be decided on score difference instead of a play-off. I forgot to say earlier that I heard from a 100% source that Gerard Pierson has gone to the US and is supposed to be coming back at Christmas. That would seem to mean he is not going to feature for Cavan considering what happened to Gaynor when he did it.

Homer - Is Gaynor carrying an injury? He seemed a bit sluggish in the last 10 mins on Sunday and was wearing a knee strapping.

Homer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 06, 2007, 12:11:13 PM
Homer. Agree with you on that. But the fourth and fifth placed teams, if level on points, should be decided on score difference instead of a play-off.

I'd probably prefer this situation to be decided in an against the head manner with the winner of their previous encounter getting the nod. If this happened to be a draw, settle it on points difference.

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 06, 2007, 12:11:13 PM
Homer - Is Gaynor carrying an injury? He seemed a bit sluggish in the last 10 mins on Sunday and was wearing a knee strapping.

I only noticed the heavy strapping at the game myles so I couldn't tell ya but I don't think he was too bad. I would agree his fitness is not near the levels of his county days and his absence from the scene is may even be a bigger loss to Ballinagh than Cavan. He's not your natural full forward by any stretch of the imagination but he can very useful at winnning and breaking balls and the tactic works well with the likes of Niall McDermott around him to gather.

cavanmaniac

I hear Lorcan Mulvey is playing rugby at full back for a local team in Cavan and by all accounts is acquitting himself well.

Discuss. :P

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 06, 2007, 11:44:45 PM
I hear Lorcan Mulvey is playing rugby at full back for a local team in Cavan and by all accounts is acquitting himself well.

Discuss. :P

He did that last year aswell, keeps him fit during the winter   ;) .

gortnaleck

I hear Pearson is trying out for the 49ers as well. Is Keogan getting rid of them or what

Blue06

I heard Mad Eddie is back in.

Pearson I am told is out, wasn't putting the effort in.

Also told theres definetly no way back for Johnston & Cahill.

cavanmaniac

Eddie is worth another shot I suppose. I have my doubts that he has the class required for intercounty but I'd rather have him in there than someone more talented, but only interested in swinging the lead, like Pearson.

Cahill and Johnston debate has already been done but I'll reiterate that I think it'll do us better long term to take a stand on things like this.

gortnaleck

By all accounts he wasn't swinging the lead in the County Final and that with a couple of lads marking him.Managers need to be part psychologist I think to work with all the different personalities in a squad.What motivates Jim might not necessarily work with Joe.Cavan need all their players and these players have to be made feel that they are needed and are important too.The good teams all have players who are ,lets say a bit different,but the good managers know how to make the situation work without alienating half the other players.

LackenLegend

Well lads what do yas think for this weekend? :o
Timmmmy!

cavanmaniac

Quote from: gortnaleck on November 08, 2007, 01:52:10 AM
By all accounts he wasn't swinging the lead in the County Final and that with a couple of lads marking him.Managers need to be part psychologist I think to work with all the different personalities in a squad.What motivates Jim might not necessarily work with Joe.Cavan need all their players and these players have to be made feel that they are needed and are important too.The good teams all have players who are ,lets say a bit different,but the good managers know how to make the situation work without alienating half the other players.

He busts a gut for his club and always looks a decent player with Gowna but I've been hearing for years that he practically has to be dragged kicking and screaming to play for the county, the only exception to that being when Eamon Coleman was at the helm. Some Cavan lads have been made feel TOO important and that's a bigger problem than the opposite.
There comes a point where you have to make a distinction between indulging a guy a wee bit to get the best out of him, and giving him carte blanche to act the maggot. If Pierson could be got right he'd be great to have but there's no smoke without fire and stories of his lack of motivation have been doing the rounds for years. I'd say that's why he wasn't getting starts this year, he probably wasn't putting it in, and now has got the elbow. In the short term his absence will hurt us just like Johnston's but longer term we're better off letting everyone know that only 100% committed players are welcome because we'll just be running to stand still every year otherwise.

billy the kid

I think the GPA should be ashamed of themselves they are undermining everything the GAA stands for.  What they are asking for is Pay for |Play dressed up in fancy clothes.

They are an elitist Organisation who are only concerned with themselves and I firmly believe its a case of a few leading the many.

Don't get me wrong i totally agree with players being treated well and looked after if they get injured but they are always looking for more and more.

Currently every season inter-county players in Derry get:

2 pairs of boots
2 full kits a season,
2 full sets of training gear. (1 wet and 1 normal)
1 rain jacket
1 zip up top
1 jumper
2 polo shirts
1 tracksuit
Home training Equipment
Free access to state of the art gym

All the above are official Derry gear from O neills with emblems and crests and this is only the gear I KNOW FOR CERTAIN they get!

Also they have access to a top class physio, team doctor dietician and heart screening facilities.

they receive meals after ALL games and on the way to away games

they get fed after every training

and they also get VERY GOOD rebates on their mileage expenses.

Again these are jut the things i KNOW FOR CERTAIN!!

for each national league game they receive 4 passes each allowing friends and family to gain admission to the games for FREE and the passes can be used for both hurling and football even if only involved in one code.

They receive at least 2 and sometimes more FREE tickets for ALL championship matches they are involved in

They receive 2 good tickets for the all Ireland final in their code (hurling or football) for FREE

Before the club championship begins they receive a pass allowing them to gain FREE entry to ALL championship matches within the county in EITHER code at ANY level

The above list was given to me when I asked a PRESENT COUNTY PLAYER from our club about conditions at inter-county level.

I don't think anyone would begrudge them these things as the gear and medical farcicalities are a MUST and so are the mileage expenses and the meals.

The other stuff are added perks and again I would say Just right they are training very hard and giving a big commitment to Our County.

Looking at the list I would say our county players are fairly well looked after wouldn't you? And this is just the example of our county alot of other counties like Armagh and Tyrone get even more gear and perks which again is fair enough.

But to ask for money and to make out that they are so hard done by and listening to some of their leaders you'd think some were hardly fit to feed themselves and on the way to financial ruin is an absolute myth and border line lie!!

What ever happened to being proud to play for your county and pride in the jersey? That used to be enough to make people play for their counties.

Has Pride and honour fallen of the radar of the GPA in their obsession with self-worth and self-gain.
If pride in the jersey and being honoured to represent your County plus the list i have supplied aren't enough to make individuals play for OUR county teams do we really want them to? The type of character who would undermine the very fabric of our great organisation to line his own pockets.   

I was also informed by the County player from my own Club that most county players don't want to strike but are being openly pressurised to do so. Is this Democracy?

Its also evident the GPA are so far removed from the grassroots GAA and the supporters that they haven't noticed that the vast majority are strongly against it, but why would they listen to us mere mortals?

Down Manager Ross Carr has the right idea:

If these prima donnas strike and refuse to play Each County should find a panel of players who will represent their counties for pride honour and the other perks i listed. There would be a stampede to trials and it would totally negate the strike and render their actions futile and meaningless.

We cannot let the elitist few hold the rest of us to ransom while they try to gain financially for doing what most TRUE Gaels consider an Honour and a privilege – PLAY FOR YOUR COUNTY 
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

mylestheslasher

From Hoganstand....

I would be in agreement with Billy the Kid on this. I have no idea how many of the Cavan panel are involved in the GPA but if they want to strike Keoghan should go out and find 15 players that want to wear the jersey. I am sick of hearing Dessie Farrell talking shite. County players give a lot alright but they do get a lot in return. They get fame, popularity, health, fitness and they get to leave a legacy behind on top of what Billy the kid says - hard to put a value on that. No one is forced to play football or hurling. If it is too much then quit and let someone else have a go. I would be disgusted if Cavan fail to field a team in any game this year.

Players vote for strike action
09 November 2007

A ballot held among GPA members saw 95% of them vote to go on strike arising from discontent at the stalling of negotiations in relation to the distribution of five million euros worth of player grants.

Dessie Farrell, chief executive of the GPA said there had been a 71% turnout in the ballot.

The association has a membership just short of 1,900 players and 1,348 players sent their voting slips back.

The strike comes into effect immediately with GPA members allowed to train with their counties but they will not be allowed to participate in intercounty games of any type, while they may still line out with their clubs. The strike will stay in place until a method has been fully agreed which will free up the proposed Eur5m in players grants which the government have promised.

GPA secretary Donal Og Cusack read out a prepared statement in which he indicated that he was hopeful that a resolution could be found.

"The GPA believes that a resolution can be found in the interim and accepts the genuine commitment being made by the other two parties to this process," said Cusack.

"However, while there is optimism, we remain resolute that we will carry out our strike action should the impasse continue indefinitely. Our campaign for the implementation of the grants scheme has been on-going for five years and we have a duty to our members to expedite this important matter which we intend to do."

Although the strike comes into effect straight away, in reality the GPA are giving the GAA two months to sort out the issue as there are no intercounty games until January and county boards have for the past two years been told not to play challenge matches in the months of November and December as they are deemed part of the close season.

Minister for Sport Seamus Brennan has already indicated that he is willing to work with the GPA and GAA to sort out the matter, so many will view this strike action from the GPA as a show of strength from the players body which quite possibly may not have to be seen through.