Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Paschal Canavan is the new Mullahoran senior team-manager
24 October 2007

The former Tyrone All-Ireland star, Pascal Canavan has been appointed manager of Mullahoran in succession to Tommy Dowd and Damien O'Reilly for next season.

Canavan who is highly regarded in GAA circles not alone in his native county but throughout Ulster, was one of Tyrone's most consistent players during their successful run in recent years, and is brother of Peter Canavan, and a member of the successful Errigal Ciaran club.

He retired from club football this year, and has some experience in club management. He was a very successful player with his home club, Errigal Ciaran, and has a good insight on what it takes to win at club and county levels.

He replaces the Tommy Dowd and Damien Reilly partnership who took over from Paul Bealin as club management during the recent Cavan SFC campaign. Mullahoran were defeated by their great rivals and near-neighbours in the recent SFC semi-final, and according to Club Chairman, Noel Reilly they are keen to get back to winning championship titles, and feel the addition of such a well-respected former county player as Paschal Canavan will give the whole club a real boost ahead of next season.

jaysus they get some high profile managers alright.
Justin McNulty
Paul Bealin
Tommy Dowd and now Pascal Canavan.

descartes

Does anybody know who this fella is spouting on about, pulled this from the hoganstand

tarnsfers
Transfers
There are a number of Cvan players transferring to clubs in Dublin- what is your view of this
Seamus , Bawn Ireland , 26/10/2007 at 16:14

Any idea's?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: descartes on October 26, 2007, 05:17:06 PM

Does anybody know who this fella is spouting on about, pulled this from the hoganstand

tarnsfers
Transfers
There are a number of Cvan players transferring to clubs in Dublin- what is your view of this
Seamus , Bawn Ireland , 26/10/2007 at 16:14

Any idea's?

No idea - sure the clown didn't even spell Cavan right.

Anyone hear how the county training is going?

BallyhaiseMan

lads anyone hear about Maghera Templeport game Division 3 this weekend?
whoever loses is relegated to Div 4 alongside the B teams,

anyone in the know, know if Maghera have threatened to disband if they lose and are forced into being relegated in with all the Reserve teams in Div 4? or is it all bullshit

rumours on Hoganstand probably,

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 27, 2007, 08:25:07 PM
lads anyone hear about Maghera Templeport game Division 3 this weekend?
whoever loses is relegated to Div 4 alongside the B teams,

anyone in the know, know if Maghera have threatened to disband if they lose and are forced into being relegated in with all the Reserve teams in Div 4? or is it all bullshit

rumours on Hoganstand probably,

Maghera 3-06 Templeport 1-05. Templeport get relegated to Div 4. As for disbanding clubs, well that is fine as far as I am concerned. Everyone knew what was at stake this year and at the end of the season you pretty much get what you deserve. Templeport should be nowhere near where they ended up and only have themselves to blame - maybe it is the kick in the hole  that they need.

Homer

Division 1 League action this weekend

Cavan Gaels hammered Crosserlough
Ballinagh beat Belturbet
Lacken beat Gowna this afternoon

So Division 1 currently looks like....

Cavan Gaels have topped Division 1 with a game in hand and some room to spare.

Ballinagh are currently 2nd on 16 points and all games played. Gowna are one point behind on 15 and have yet to play Denn. Castlerahen are also on 15 points and also have yet to play their final round against Cuchullains. No semi-finals this year so top two go into the final.

At the other end, Division 1 new-comers Drumlane are already relegated with 4 points.

Lacken's win today leaves them on level points (8) with Kingscourt. So it comes down to Round 13 Lacken v Kingscourt, winner takes all.

Also I heard a rumour this weekend that Gerard Pierson is heading to the States for a year but I could be wrong on that.

(EDIT - Castlerahen actually take on Cuchullains not Drumlane)

gortnaleck

The Gowna /Denn game would want to happen before the weekend or he'll probably miss it alright,wouldn'tknow anything about duration though

BallyhaiseMan

National League Fixtures

Sunday 3 February

Armagh v Cavan (2.30)

Saturday 9 February

Cavan v Monaghan(7.00)

Saturday 1 March

Cavan v Dublin(7.00)

Saturday 15 March

Meath v Cavan(7.00)

Saturday 29 March

Cavan v Cork(7.00)

Sunday 6 April

Westmeath v Cavan(2.30)

Sunday 13 April

Roscommon v Cavan(2.30)

dirty dubs will be visiting unfortunately  :P

realistically
unless theres some miraculous improvement it will be for me

Armagh Loss
Monaghan Loss
Dublin Loss
Meath Loss
Cork Win(Cork arent good travellers during the league)
Westmeath Win
Roscommon Win

cavanmaniac

Sounds about right although the form of teams can be wildly erratic during the league so you'd hope to benefit from one or two off-colour displays by the big boys. But overall, we'll be doing well to avoid the drop I'd say.

PLus, is there some rule stating Meath never have to travel to Breffni Park? It's been a few years since we welcomed them down although usually we travel to Dublin as well...

mylestheslasher

I think our best chances in this division will rely on us making a good start. There is a chance of catching an aging Armagh team off guard in the first game and maybe a Monaghan team suffering 2nd season syndrome the 2nd day out. I can't see us beating Dublin or Cork. Meath away will be a battle but I think they have progressed better than us since last February. The last 2 games away to WestMeath and Roscommon are likely to be the key games as they will most likely be the teams fighting with us to stay up. 1 win out of those two should be enough as 6 points should be enough to keep us up judging from last years tables. In summary, we need...

Armagh - win
Monaghan - win
Dublin - lose
Cork - lose
Meath - lose
Westmeath - win
Ros - lose

Hollow Man

See one of our posters got a mention in the Cavan Voice this week!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on November 01, 2007, 12:34:11 PM

who would that be HM?

maybe Keoghan is impressed with my knowledge of potential inter county stars by reading my lists(which you like  :-[) on here and wants to offer me a job  ;D

cavanmaniac

Cavan Voice? Is that another new one then so, along with the Echo, the Post and the Celt? Jasus it's either a famine or a feast.

CC1

Quote from: Hollow Man on November 01, 2007, 12:34:11 PM
Yours truly was in the Post last week... Manly chap!  8)
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Hollow Man

There was no name mentioned but someone said Templeport need a kick in the hole or something (the slasher??) and the columnist took the oppositie view

I'll post it up later if I find it