Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Yep that's why I said Keogan needs to sort out all the problem players not just the Chicago three, you might have missed that in your hurry to reply and show how smart you are.

And sure if he'd hung around to be a sub anyway, wouldn't it be the best way to shove it down Keogan's throat by coming on and doing great stuff like he did in replay against Down? He made his point that way and then pissed off. A real team player.

As for the boys being 'winners' and 'taking a stand'?  ;D

Wake up and smell the coffee will you. I think anyone can see they went off to make money as first priority and not to, ahem, 'take a stand,' like the great bastion of principle you're making Johnston out to be.

And well done on ignoring the rest of my post, I'd like to hear your thoughts on if you think indulging players is good for the joke set up or not? 

Giveitlong

It's been a while, but I had to log back in and reacquaint myslef with the board having read this latest thread in the discussion.....Maniac...I salute you. 100% agree with you and extraordinarily well put sir.

He went to Chicago...he did the crime. He opted to stop rowing with his team mid row - and I'm afraid if you are trying to build something then that just doesn't fly.
So do the time. Heck - enjoy it Seanie....have a few pints..put on some more weight in the more traditional manner. However please keep your turn of speed though....it is electric and very tough to mark...legitemately.
While you're away - and I mean this in the nicest sense of the word...learn some humility..it's possible to have some whilst still being confident. Arrogance doesn't work for me, and it is not welcome in our association (nor are white boods or homeboy hairstyles but I think you're clear there) And finally learn to pass the ball a bit more...your ratio of wides to scores from play is still not Cooperesque. You should be aspiring to that type of performance level.

So one year of penance, but a year of learning so don't stagnate please. I think you went/go to DCU so you should be intelligent enough to understand that all of Cavanmaniac's points are fair enough and you can have no gripes.

We'll see you in around 18 months so and in the meantime best of luck in the Ulster Club campaign.

anglocelt39

Ah yes, the joys of man management. Geraghty kicks the shite out of his team mates and he ends up getting brought back into a panel by a switched on management and makes a contribution. Stephen Ireland on his 15k per week makes a fool of all and sundry and all is forgiven at club and international level. Numerous players from numerous counties are indulged in going on the round Europe or Oz trip during the league campaigns. So how do we handle the issue of Gaynor, Johnston, Cahill and Gunner (although the last seems to have made up his own mind). Do we take Maniacs High Moral ground, take the long term view and say total and unfettered loyalty to the cause is now required from 30 men good and true so good luck lads? While we're at it, do we also tell lads that turned up for first round championship games in the last two years in states of clear unfitness that their services are no longer required. Admirable sentiments, but at this rate we are really going to be starting from scratch again, don't think Keogan has that sort of time.

So lads, sorry I don't have the answers. Long term plans are fine, the fact is that at the moment we are, at best Joint Number 8 in Ulster Rankings and very few people would be willing to accept a three year total clean up and catch up period.

Dare we say that the manager is part of the problem? From my little connection with football at home any more it seems that the fellas not on the panel are as much a problem as those on it i.e. there are, by all accounts, many players who have no interest in going on the panel and I'm not sure the existing management set up is doing much to tempt these blokes in. Maniac, those were the days when lads were begging to be asked to wear the Cavan jersey, like the ass and cart, long gone.

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Hollow Man

From what I know, the three lads who headed off are still on great terms with most of the rest of the panel - the general feeling is that they were dead right, incredible as that sounds.

I say fair play to them - we'll win f**k all without them. The lads made their point and got their money, Brady will go off and dominate handball, Jelly has just won a county SFC and will probably now win a Sigerson and Cavan supporters will huff and puff about commitment while their remaining players are out drinking and lining out way overweight.

Then, come next summer, Keogan will go cap in hand and ask them back.

Just wait and see.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: anglocelt39 on October 09, 2007, 07:39:07 PM
Ah yes, the joys of man management. Geraghty kicks the shite out of his team mates and he ends up getting brought back into a panel by a switched on management and makes a contribution. Stephen Ireland on his 15k per week makes a fool of all and sundry and all is forgiven at club and international level. Numerous players from numerous counties are indulged in going on the round Europe or Oz trip during the league campaigns. So how do we handle the issue of Gaynor, Johnston, Cahill and Gunner (although the last seems to have made up his own mind). Do we take Maniacs High Moral ground, take the long term view and say total and unfettered loyalty to the cause is now required from 30 men good and true so good luck lads? While we're at it, do we also tell lads that turned up for first round championship games in the last two years in states of clear unfitness that their services are no longer required. Admirable sentiments, but at this rate we are really going to be starting from scratch again, don't think Keogan has that sort of time.

So lads, sorry I don't have the answers. Long term plans are fine, the fact is that at the moment we are, at best Joint Number 8 in Ulster Rankings and very few people would be willing to accept a three year total clean up and catch up period.

Dare we say that the manager is part of the problem? From my little connection with football at home any more it seems that the fellas not on the panel are as much a problem as those on it i.e. there are, by all accounts, many players who have no interest in going on the panel and I'm not sure the existing management set up is doing much to tempt these blokes in. Maniac, those were the days when lads were begging to be asked to wear the Cavan jersey, like the ass and cart, long gone.

ac39 I was looking forward to a post from you because we disgree often but you are respectful while you do it.

I agree about other players being indulged in other codes. In some cases I'd even condone it. But most examples that spring to mind like Stephen Ireland, Eric Cantona etc. concern one bad apple in an otherwise solid, sound and disciplined set up. That is simply not the case in Cavan where there are quite a few swinging the lead and the only way to get it cleared up - and get to a situation where maybe, just maybe, you might be able to carry one lad like Johnston - is indeed to start from scratch. We've been running about with one foot nailed to the floor from 1997 and where has it got us, and what are our longer-term prospects if it's allowed to continue. I'm like a broken record but at some stage we have to stop dreaming about the quick fix and take the pain of building for the long term only with guys who are switched on and fully focused. Gaelic football has become too professional and demanding to have lads shitehawking. It's a cruel commitment and no arguments from me there but if you want to be there you put it in, you know all about the demands beforehand, and if you can't do it, then stay away with the best wishes of all fans who understand the need to look after your career or family.

On the point of players travelling for a few months, this is generally done during the winter and done responsibly and maturely by arrangement with management and therefore nobody has a problem because it's all above board and in the open. And crucially, not at the height of the season and for the sake of a few quid either.

I think you're right also about lads not wanting to wear the shirt.

You offer this as the cause of our problems but I see it as the symptom.

There were plenty of lads aching for the shirt in 95-97 when the set up was clean, disciplined and players could see we were going places and there was a chance of glory. I doubt many that were called by wee Martin back then chose to stay off the panel. So if we clean things up again, realise that the current way just doesn't work and start from scratch, I see no reason why there woudn't be 30 guys willing to bust a gut in Cavan to bring the team places. And if it takes a few seasons - and progress can be quicker than you think - then won't we be better off? Will we honestly fare any better if we keep doing what we're doing now? The odd big victory maybe but nothing lasting, if that at all.

They can do it in Monaghan - and believe me, our Farney neighbours are a shining example to us Breffnis with our delusions of adequacy - using a former manager of ours getting them to peak fitness with total commitment. Are we not all men made of the same stuff this side of the border, or might it just be our attitude that's the difference?

BallyhaiseMan

Johnston,Cahill should be brought back in my opinion.

Gunner has retired from intercounty football,

Gaynor deserves a trial back on the county team to see if he can keep his head.

Mad Eddie should also be brought back.

Maniac and Hollowman know far more about Cavan Football than Keoghan could ever know!!!

mylestheslasher

The seniors were back in the gym last Friday I hear. Anyone know who got called up. I only new one I heard from home was Austin Fitzpatrick from Killeshandra. Will try and find out who else.

anglocelt39

Of course I'm respectful towards you Maniac, sure it beats having you rear up on me.

Is the existing management team now a bit of a joke, or put another way what other county is currently trying to head hunt DK into it's management setup.

If I was given a clean slate as of now I would:

1. Start with a new management team, don't even start to ask me who but I agree with previous poster that DK on his own could be an accident waiting to happen with a challenging league campaign coming up;

2. Say goodbye to a number of players-Larry and Jason have done their bit and fair play, but time to put the feet up. I'd also make a special case for Mulvey, if a junior club footballer has as little respect for himself and the county jersey as he showed against Down last May he deserves special treatment.

3. Declare an anmesty/clean slate for all other players on the understanding that it will be fully reviewed, and appropriate actions taken at the and of McKenna Cup campaign. Panel of 40 selected now for winter training program etc, and slackers cut from NFL panel at start of february regardless of who the f**k they are. I think an anmesty has to be declared because there are so many ways of offending in the Cavan set up at present-not training, going on the beer, pulling out of the panel and being cajaoled back in, fecking off to the USA, getting "lost" on the way to pre championship challenge matches, blatantly bullying other panel members etc. etc.

If somebody had the balls to carry this through we could be all the better. There are plenty of players around that can do a job for us in the right setup-Hannon, Dermot Sheridan, Podge, Gunner, Gaynor, Forde, McCabe, Flanagan, Cullivan, Lyng, Mckeever, Pierson, Johnston. What they need is to be shown a bit of direction and to know that no shite will be taken. Very easy said, not as easy done. There is enough football in the county to at least make us respectable again a la Louth of this year.

Not holding my breath but here's hoping.

cavanmaniac

Wouldn't disagree with a word of that.

BallyhaiseMan

if there was to be a 30 man panel named,these players would be definities for me. 19 definites, other 11 spots up for grabs
Opinions?

Goalkeepers

James Reily( Drung)
Colm Anderson(Cuchullains)

Backs
Michael Hannon(Drumgoon)
Keith Fannin(Drumgoon)
Martin Cahill(Denn)
Ronan Flanagan(Castlerahan)
Padraig Reily(Ballinagh)
Anthony Forde(Cavan Gaels)
Jonathon Crowe(Crosserlough)
Anthony Gaynor(Ballinagh)

Midfield
Dermot McCabe(Gowna)
Nicholas Walsh(Cavan Gaels)

Forwards
Mark McKeever(Gowna)
Sean Johnston(Cavan Gaels)
Michael Lyng(Cavan Gaels)
Sean Brady(Castlerahan)
Gerard Pierson(Gowna)
Ray Cullivan(Ballyhaise)
Eddie Reily(Mullahoran)

cavan4ever

I heard that James Reilly and Colm Anderson were gone off the panel.  Laragh and Lavey Goalkeepers brought in.  And more worrying that Pierson was not to be asked back. 

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on October 11, 2007, 08:20:50 AM
I heard that James Reilly and Colm Anderson were gone off the panel.  Laragh and Lavey Goalkeepers brought in.  And more worrying that Pierson was not to be asked back. 

James Caroloan of Lavey? a good goalkeeper

Brian Carolan of Laragh also good,

But Miller would be a huge miss.

also heard the info about Pierson not being asked back,
can we really do without probably our most naturally talented forward.?

mylestheslasher

Pierson was quite poor last year and if the stories are true then it was as a result of his half arsed approach. IF this is the case then I would support him being dropped. Pierson, Johnstone, Cahill etc are all the same thing really.  The county team is at rock bottom, we are putting up with shit that other counties won't. We need to send out a clear message that says "You will not play for Cavan if you won't give 100%". We may need to take pain for the next year or two but I'd rather that than be back here in 2010 wondering why we have not improved. Maybe in time these dropped players will think to themselves about what legacy they will leave when they finish playing (e.g. we all know how people talk of the great players that didn't have the head for it, drank too much etc etc). This is what their kids will have to hear. Some day, with changed attitudes, people may be brought in from the cold. One thing for sure, playing for Cavan needs to be made a privelage again. If you see it as a chore then f**k off and go and tell Dessie Farrell. A couple of years back Fermanagh kicked out a number of high profile player like the great Ruairi Gallagher. Everyone said that the team couldn't afford to loose players of that class - that team contested an All Ireland semi the next year. The team is much much bigger than the individual player. The starting point needs to be to get the camp in order and move on from there and I support Keoghan if that is what he is trying to do.

Denn Forever

Quote from: anglocelt39 on October 10, 2007, 09:13:15 PM

If somebody had the balls to carry this through we could be all the better. There are plenty of players around that can do a job for us in the right setup-Hannon, Dermot Sheridan, Podge, Gunner, Gaynor, Forde, McCabe, Flanagan, Cullivan, Lyng, Mckeever, Pierson, Johnston. What they need is to be shown a bit of direction and to know that no shite will be taken. Very easy said, not as easy done. There is enough football in the county to at least make us respectable again a la Louth of this year.

The above reminds me of the English soccer team and the Pundits refrain  We need an English British Manager, Svens no good.  So they get an English Manager with the same players and guess what?  They are no good.  Sven goes into Premiership management and for now, Man City are third.

My point is that we need people who want to play for Cavan always.  If you have a chance to go off and make money, sort it out at the start of the season.  Don't start the championship, then look for/accept an offer.  I am thinking more of Johnson who is a student at the moment.  If he'd gone over to the US at the start of his  summer holidays, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

anglocelt39

My point is that we need people who want to play for Cavan always.  If you have a chance to go off and make money, sort it out at the start of the season.  Don't start the championship, then look for/accept an offer.  I am thinking more of Johnson who is a student at the moment.  If he'd gone over to the US at the start of his  summer holidays, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Can't agree there DF, think the conversation has broadened out a bit from the Chicago 3 to the fact that we are not where we should be at with the players that are available to the county. In this case we're not talking about getting rid of Sven, he's left and is assisting Kildare at this stage, we're talking about Sven's assistant. Now some of the comments on this board over the past few months would not fill me with confidence that DK is the man to bring things forward. But what the hell, wee Marty had feck all management experience until he came down our way. Mind you, he had a savage appetite for success through discipline.