Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Quote from: cavan4ever on September 26, 2007, 11:36:32 AM
It's hard to believe that the Intermediate and Junior Finals are on in a couple of days, this thread has gone the same way as the rest of Gaaboard.  There was a thread earlier saying that the lifespan of the board was up and i think it might be right.

So who's to you guys think going to win?  Id like to see Shannon Gaels win the Junior and i can see Lavey putting it up to Ballinagh.

Anyone know of what players are in with the county at the moment?

I wouldn't worry about the health of the board my child for these things are cyclical like the passing of the seasons. And verily, akin to the seasons themselves guided by Mother Nature's fair hand, there are the times of growth, blossom, bounty, harvest and yes, eventually cometh the winter and hibernation.

But spring cometh round every year and in the first flushes of rebirth hope doth spring eternal that Donal's sap will rise in tandem, in time for the Division 1 campaign and henceforth shall there be a new explosion of chatter and speculation on the Cavan GAA thread and great times of plenty shall ensue and we shall wonder why we ever thought the great lifeforce was dying out.

Any more wine over there?

mylestheslasher

From Hogan Stand - Does anyone know anything about this man? Does he have any idea what he is up against?

'Cavan have underachieved' - Sheridan
28 September 2007

New Cavan senior football trainer Conal Sheridan believes that the Breffni blues have underachieved since last scooping the Ulster SFC title.

It's 1997 since the border county lifted the Anglo-Celt Cup and new boy Sheridan acknowledges that improvement is needed.

"Over the past decade or so Cavan have generally underachieved," said the Tyrone native. "My role will be a case of going in, looking at the strengths and seeing how we can improve upon them in terms of fitness and their ball skills.

"From my experience Cavan have always been a quick and pacy team which produces workmanlike displays.

"The job is to build on that because we can't afford to let things slip in next year's Division Two."

BallyhaiseMan

he forgot to put the words small before quick and pacy team,

Cavan team are back training individually i see with a Diet Regime,Cardio and weight training programme all given to each seperate member.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 28, 2007, 04:02:10 PM

Cavan team are back training individually i see with a Diet Regime,Cardio and weight training programme all given to each seperate member.

I'd say Jason, Larry and Lorcan Mulvey are up to their oxters in nutritional research as they pore over the latest research on carbs, protein, fat burning and plyometrics.

Trusting some of our boys with individual programmes away from the squad is like putting kids into a sweet shop unsupervised and asking them not to touch anything.

mylestheslasher

Just in case some of you didn't hear the results from yesterday. Killeshandra beat Shannon gaels 0-11 to 0-08 to win the junior championship. Ballinagh won the intermediate 1-07 to 0-09 against Lavey. Great day for the yellows!! I think in 5 years or so Killeshandra will be a senior team again, they have an impressive amount of young players coming through and when they fill out and get a bit cuter they will be a force to be reckoned with.

shotstopper1

Congrats to both Killeshandra and Ballinagh on winning their respective championships.Also to Dromard who won the Longford senior championship and who were celebrating in style in Arva.

Denn Forever

Has the Senior final been played yet?  I thought it was usually played at the end of September?

How will the champions do in the Ulster Club championship?  We talk about how crap the county team is, but when has a Cavan club won the Ulster Club Championship?  Does this not go hand in hand with County team success e.g. Armagh, Tyrone, Derry.

Comments
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hollow Man

Is Keogan looking for the Chicago Three back????

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 02, 2007, 10:43:02 AM
How will the champions do in the Ulster Club championship?  We talk about how crap the county team is, but when has a Cavan club won the Ulster Club Championship?  Does this not go hand in hand with County team success e.g. Armagh, Tyrone, Derry.

Comments

I think it's this weekend DF.

From the point of view of Ulster club progress, you'd hope the Gaels come through as they'd seem better placed but then again there's the argument that winter football in the Ulster club gives a hard, physical team like Gowna a good chance of progress. This didn't come to pass with Mullahoran last year though.

Overall, I think the standard of senior club football in Cavan is lamentable. Managers are trying to ape national trends and are concentrating on negative tactics at the expense of basic skills, over burdening the players and compicating what should be a very simple game at times. It's such a broken record I know but you only hear it so often because it's true. I haven't seen as much of the SFC this year as I normally would but then again, I haven't wanted to nor haven't been too inspired to go along to the games. I'm in Dublin anyway. By all reports there's mostly been very poor games in the championship this year, following the trend of other seasons, but some of the locally based posters can tell us more on that one.

The Gaels should have enough expoerience of the Ulster club SFC to advance a bit but you'd only be hoping as opposed to expecting, which is what all levels of Cavan football club and county have been reduced to. The Derry/Tyrone champs and Crossmaglen would be comfortably able for the best team in Cavan nine times out of ten, possibly the Antrim and Down representatives as well. You'd only be hopeful against a team from Monaghan, Donegal, Fermanagh going on previous years' results in the club SFC.

Hollow Man

Quotethere's the argument that winter football in the Ulster club gives a hard, physical team like Gowna a good chance of progress.

Lazy sterotype there in my opinion.

Gowna aren't just the physically daunting force of old - Morris and a few Bradys are gone, and the Gaels are as hard and physical, even cynical,  as anyone.

Both sides have class forwards, and this game will be won or lost at midfield. Gowna will have to completely dominate here if they are to win because their backs aren't as good as the Gaels' six ie the Gaels forards will have the beating of Gowna's backs every single time, whereas it's possible that the likes of Chesty and Co will contain Pierson etc reasonably well unless they are bombarded.

Just my opinion...

I reckon Gowna by one, but don't rule out a draw

shotstopper1

Ballyhaiseman,

What happened at the U14 final last night v BBoro.Heard a BBoro selector (ex Cavan Gaels) presuaded a neutral umpire (Cavan Gaels person) to change the refs (P Gilheany Swad) mind in allowing a last minute goal for BHaise which would've drew the game .Seemingly all hell broke loose afterwards.
Is this a true reflection on what happened? if so its no wonder Cavan Football is in such a sorry state.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Hollow Man on October 02, 2007, 05:11:10 PM
Quotethere's the argument that winter football in the Ulster club gives a hard, physical team like Gowna a good chance of progress.

Lazy sterotype there in my opinion.

Possibly, but only in the light of both Gowna and Mullahoran conforming to this stereotype and failing miserably to make an impact despite having a few bites at the Ulster club at this stage.

On the other side of the coin the the Crossmaglen, Bellaghy, Ballinderry contingent and other teams that have tended to do well over the last few years were certainly not lacking in the brawn department if memory serves which might indicate that in general a bit of muscle is a help rather than a hindrance, no? 

I agree that the Gaels have toughened up a bit over the last few years as well. TG4 showed them in the Ulster club a few years ago in Clones and they tried to mix it with a team from Derry and they got their arses handed back to them with interest. Thye might be better fit for it now alright but back then it was frankly embarrassing to look at. I think Chesty was sent off for anrking that day, anyone recall?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: shotstopper1 on October 03, 2007, 12:47:24 PM
Ballyhaiseman,

What happened at the U14 final last night v BBoro.Heard a BBoro selector (ex Cavan Gaels) presuaded a neutral umpire (Cavan Gaels person) to change the refs (P Gilheany Swad) mind in allowing a last minute goal for BHaise which would've drew the game .Seemingly all hell broke loose afterwards.
Is this a true reflection on what happened? if so its no wonder Cavan Football is in such a sorry state.

true reflection shotstopper,
Cheated out of an Under 14 final by cowardly umpires and referees,and that bollox of a baileborough selector.
Ballyhaise Supporters obviously enraged went for the referee after the game,and a whole schmozzle erupted,
shame the referee and umpire in question and the Baileborough selector got out of it without getting a few thumps though.  >:(
I hope the club sent in objections over this bullshit,
On the other hand,no doubt there will be some Ballyhaise Club members called in on front of the county board sometime soon.
as you say no wonder Cavan football is in such a sorry state.

Belated congratulations to Homer over Ballinaghs win in the IFC,
and to Myles for Killeshandras Win in the JFC.
Both deserved.
Hope yer enjoying the celebrations Homer,probably still hungover ;D
and hope ye enjoyed it in exile Myles.  :)

Hollow Man

QuotePossibly, but only in the light of both Gowna and Mullahoran conforming to this stereotype and failing miserably to make an impact despite having a few bites at the Ulster club at this stage.

Gowna and Mullahoran are no "harder" or more "physical" than the Gaels, and it's lazy to label them as such just because the old sterotype has it that they are big hardy boyos and the town sides are lighter, flakier, whatever you're having yourself...

I would say all three are on an equal footing in terms of having a few strong footballers in their team who are limited skill-wise, but of course it suits the Gaels to play up to the abiding image of them as some sort of super slick side who beat the cynical country bumpkins by sheer falir.

The Gaels are as cynical as any of them...

cavanmaniac

I agree they are now alright. Only in relatively recent times though.