Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeog

phillip jordan has a good piece in IN today expects tyrone by 5

Itchy

Quote from: comeysfield on June 16, 2016, 10:00:15 AM
Any word on McLaughlin is there any chance he will play ?

This is a strange one. Last week Huland said he had no injury worries yet no McLaughlin on the bench. Anyone know what's going on?

Itchy

Shit end to a season that promised much. It all fell apart after the Tyrone draw. The Sean Johnston comeback was as expected, past it when the ground hardens and game speeds up. We are so badly missing forwards it's scary. Derry had Mark Lynch who seems to be able to score from anywhere and we are relying on Gearoid mckiernan. Bit depressed by it all.

cavanmaniac

It's ended on a lower note than I expected,  and I didn't even have high hopes before championship. For this year's championship to be even a moderate success we needed to push Tyrone all the way - forget the freak draw where we were outplayed for long stretches - in all games against them this year it has been men against boys. Zero progress. Hyland has had a long time to grow the team to that level or get close to it but clearly can't do it now. He couldn't even reach an Ulster final. He was lucky to retain his post last year so this year was his stay of execution I feel. He's been a sturdy servant who achieved a lot but it's time to get a fresh voice in there to see if there truly is any potential in this team,  because at the moment they're just running to stand still.

five points

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 19, 2016, 04:22:52 AM
For this year's championship to be even a moderate success we needed to push Tyrone all the way - forget the freak draw where we were outplayed for long stretches - in all games against them this year it has been men against boys. Zero progress. Hyland has had a long time to grow the team to that level or get close to it but clearly can't do it now.

Utterly unrealistic to expect Cavan, or any other team of their ilk, to morph into a top-4 team overnight.

Westside

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 19, 2016, 04:22:52 AM
It's ended on a lower note than I expected,  and I didn't even have high hopes before championship. For this year's championship to be even a moderate success we needed to push Tyrone all the way - forget the freak draw where we were outplayed for long stretches - in all games against them this year it has been men against boys. Zero progress. Hyland has had a long time to grow the team to that level or get close to it but clearly can't do it now. He couldn't even reach an Ulster final. He was lucky to retain his post last year so this year was his stay of execution I feel. He's been a sturdy servant who achieved a lot but it's time to get a fresh voice in there to see if there truly is any potential in this team,  because at the moment they're just running to stand still.

Jesus this is the sort of mental shit we see on Hoganstand. The idea that if you play a team 3 times you should be closer to beating them after the third attempt or else you're a poor manager. Tyrone are a better team than us, more skilful, more experienced, more accurate players with Minor, U21 and Senior All Ireland medals in their back pockets. Simple as that.

Sturdy servant my bollocks. He's been an absolutely outstanding servant for Cavan football. Look where Cavan were between 2009 and 2011. Bottom of the barrel, cannon fodder for all but the very worst teams in Ireland. We are now Division 1 and would be realistically confident of mixing it with most teams outside of the very elite. I've talked to a lot of people about Cavan's fortunes this week, lads from Roscommon, Dublin, Galway. Good solid intelligent football men. All equally horrified at the thought that people were calling for his head.

Terry will stay if he can and may only go if he's nudged out the door. We can only hope he manages some of our teams at some level because there ain't too many like him around the county and he may only be truly appreciated once he's gone.

cavanmaniac

I get a good laugh out of any lad launching a post by accusing someone of hoganstand standards,  before proceeding to write precisely the sort of over-aggressive, ill-informed warrior posturing that passes for discussion there.

Also in your rush to showcase your high calibre outrage and superior fibre,  you managed to totally misconstrue my point.  Sturdy servant? Great servant? Outstanding servant? Doesn't matter to me so much,  I'd agree with whatever term. Terry has busted his hole for Cavan,  no argument,  but the inference that hard work and dedication is enough to effectively earn him the right to reappoint himself at will, or insulate him against all criticism, is comically  ludicrous in its lack of logic. That's the preserve of guys like Sean Boylan or Harte etc. because of amazing track records and stature in the game. You compiled a list of where Tyrone were superior to us yet somehow neglected to mention the acumen of the men in the dugout because you're probably all to aware that Hyland suffers badly by comparison. Anyway,  most managers would suffer by comparison against Harte but the bottom line is that Terry has had five years (not three games, or overnight like the previous responder decided I meant) to get a team to be somewhere *close* to giving a real game to an opponent like Tyrone. Not victories necessarily. Just show that they're not out entirely of of place on that company. I don't think that's an outlandish ambition with what's regarded as Cavan's most talented complement of players for several generations. Do you? 

I think it needs freshening up or this group of players will slip away without ever truly reaching their potential. I don't know what that potential is exactly but you have to believe it's better than not being able to make a solitary Ulster final appearance, tame qualifier exits most years and only a solitary championship win of real substance and grit against Derry in 2013. You can't expect players to retain motivation if this pattern repeats year on year. Maybe he has a new trick up his sleeve but I doubt it. All that said, if the players are consulted and want Terry retained, then I'll respect that. Because it's possible to disagree with someone or something without being an ar5ehole about it,  you know? That might be the stuff of hoganstand,  but thankfully,  not here so much.

Westside

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 24, 2016, 05:35:39 PM
I get a good laugh out of any lad launching a post by accusing someone of hoganstand standards,  before proceeding to write precisely the sort of over-aggressive, ill-informed warrior posturing that passes for discussion there.

Also in your rush to showcase your high calibre outrage and superior fibre,  you managed to totally misconstrue my point.  Sturdy servant? Great servant? Outstanding servant? Doesn't matter to me so much,  I'd agree with whatever term. Terry has busted his hole for Cavan,  no argument,  but the inference that hard work and dedication is enough to effectively earn him the right to reappoint himself at will, or insulate him against all criticism, is comically  ludicrous in its lack of logic. That's the preserve of guys like Sean Boylan or Harte etc. because of amazing track records and stature in the game. You compiled a list of where Tyrone were superior to us yet somehow neglected to mention the acumen of the men in the dugout because you're probably all to aware that Hyland suffers badly by comparison. Anyway,  most managers would suffer by comparison against Harte but the bottom line is that Terry has had five years (not three games, or overnight like the previous responder decided I meant) to get a team to be somewhere *close* to giving a real game to an opponent like Tyrone. Not victories necessarily. Just show that they're not out entirely of of place on that company. I don't think that's an outlandish ambition with what's regarded as Cavan's most talented complement of players for several generations. Do you? 

I think it needs freshening up or this group of players will slip away without ever truly reaching their potential. I don't know what that potential is exactly but you have to believe it's better than not being able to make a solitary Ulster final appearance, tame qualifier exits most years and only a solitary championship win of real substance and grit against Derry in 2013. You can't expect players to retain motivation if this pattern repeats year on year. Maybe he has a new trick up his sleeve but I doubt it. All that said, if the players are consulted and want Terry retained, then I'll respect that. Because it's possible to disagree with someone or something without being an ar5ehole about it,  you know? That might be the stuff of hoganstand,  but thankfully,  not here so much.

Well I don't know about your command of the English language but I would have thought most people would realise that the difference between "sturdy" and "outstanding" is fairly significant. You chose to describe him as "sturdy" for obvious reasons, at least have the integrity to stand by it rather than saying that you agree with either.

In your last post you said Terry has had a long time to get this Cavan team to the same level as Tyrone but it's obvious how he can't do in. An incredibly simple, narrow minded way of looking at things. But unfortunately that's the standards that seem to rule in a certain portion of Cavan support.
Now you've been called out on your very thin argument you say that you don't want wins you just want us to give Tyrone a close game... Well we, twice, were beaten by Monaghan (would be Ulster Champions both years) by a solitary point. So surely this would satisfy your shaky criteria for what you want in a manager? Did this not show we're not out of place in that company? Did beating the current Connacht Champions earlier in the year not show that too?
The simple fact is that with people like you no matter where Terry set the bar you would want it higher. No appreciation of the huge amount of challenges and variables in what is being dealt with. No, do things as we've always done them.. Things not going as well as we'd like? Sack the manager. "The Western district way.." as Herc would say.

Finally, dry your eyes and quit whinging about the tone of my post. I will make my point as I see fit and if you think I'm an arsehole, I don't care. I suggest you take the same stance.

cavanmaniac

Always my hope for this year was that we'd finally,  after five years of trying,  start to look like we were ready to get at teams like Tyrone etc,  we've matched them at underage so I don't think that's ridiculous. I posted to this effect several times so don't try to imply I'm calling for Hyland's head because we failed to beat or win against the second favourites for Sam. I wanted to see an upward curve,  you seem happy on the plateau, but integrity and all that - stop misrepresenting me.

If you're hung up about sturdy then fine. I think his achievements have been in the sturdy and workmanlike arena whereas his effort and application have been first rate and excellent,  although I didn't in fairness make the distinction clearly in my reply. I like Terry Hyland actually but it doesn't mean I'm blind to his shortcomings.

Getting to within a point of Monaghan, before capitulating to Roscommon I think,  showed the schizophrenic nature of the team. Pushing Monaghan hard was fine enough,  getting humbled by Ross,  I think,  not so much. But you'd look to build on that then by getting closer to the likes of Tyrone this year but possibly we're further back or at best static. I don't think league performances v Galway have any place in a discussion assessing a manager's championship performances but I understand why you'd need to dig there because sadly Hyland's championship impact has only been slight. We no longer look like we're progressing upwards each summer,  even a little. That's why I respectfully offered the opinion that a new man might do better. You disagree. You could say so without all the posturing and accusing someone of mental shit etc. while styling yourself as the crusading font of all wisdom, ironically decrying the original post as characteristic of the hogan stand asylum.  But your tone is your own I suppose.

comeysfield

We can only really consider alternatives to Hyland if he walks away I can see no appetite to push him as what are the alternatives. We all can see where a load of expensive bluffers get you in Roscommon if Hyland and players believe they can make the championship push. Then there is no one with the desire to push him. At the moment he seems to want to stay so I can only expect he will.

Westside

What do people think of the Minor Manager nominations? I think we need to be careful of appointing Gerry Reilly managers who have had success, it's worlds apart from Ulster Minor Championship. Frank Brady is an interesting one. I thought Monaghan were a bit blessed during that Minor campaign in 2013 but they did go on to win their U21 year also so he obviously had a good team on his hands. Any Drumlane or Kill lads know what he's like?

comeysfield

Frank Brady is deffinely a curve ball and is interesting think he may have worked with Drung and Swad as well in the past

Itchy

It's vital we get the right people in charge at minor. I can't help thinking we've wasted some good talent at this level in the last few years. We have won the Gerry Reilly U16 tournament now 3 years on a row, beating Dublin each time which has to mean we have the players. Cavan need a 2nd run of success at underage as its my belief we will not win anything at senior level until we unearth some quality forwards and it doesn't matter who our senior manager is.

mrdeeds

Gone quiet on here. Betting suspended on Dermot McCabe. Not the right choice for me.

Also club championship in full swing. Some big shocks last weekend. Lacken showing league form means nothing.

five points

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 11, 2016, 10:40:31 AM
Gone quiet on here. Betting suspended on Dermot McCabe. Not the right choice for me.

Not a cat's chance in hell of Dermot giving up his Games Development Manager job.