Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie

Dunne is a squad player at best. He's not a game changer or an influential forward. He played his best football for Cavan against weaker opposition in Div 3. Wouldn't read too much into the tweet. Silly for Hyland to say he's going travelling if he isn't.

McEnroe is a big loss. He's always been consistent for Cavan. Is Jason Mcloughlin on the panel this year?

Somebody mentioned Gerry Smith too, he always looked promising on the last U21 winning team. As did Barry Fortune, Joe Dillion and Liam Buchannan. Would like to see all four been given some game time at in the league this year.

cavan4sam

Gerry Smith was an outstanding minor but in my opinion hasn't progressed enough to be called into the senior set up. Doesn't stand out for Lavey that much and I also seen him playing for Assan Gaels U21 team twice this year and he wasn't standing out the way I had expected him to in his last year at that grade.

Ollie

Quote from: cavan4sam on January 08, 2016, 11:11:52 AM
Gerry Smith was an outstanding minor but in my opinion hasn't progressed enough to be called into the senior set up. Doesn't stand out for Lavey that much and I also seen him playing for Assan Gaels U21 team twice this year and he wasn't standing out the way I had expected him to in his last year at that grade.

that's a pity. Always played with plenty of heart and determination. A good season at club level might revive him. When you look at the likes of Enda Henry, Thomas Moore, Levi Murphy and Paul O'Connor all getting game time, it must bring hope to other regular club stalwarts about possible call up.

Blue in hope

Until the management let the players get game time with their clubs people like Martin Dunne will not commit. He was out after the Armagh game in 2014 got no football worth talking about for the rest of the year. Got  some game time in the national league with high balls been put in on top of him. Got an few minutes in the championship. So up to July he got dam all football played. Why wasn't he (and others) not allowed to sharpen up and get game time with their clubs. From what i have been told all he wants is to play some ball this year and the only way he is guaranteed game time is with his club.

Ollie

Quote from: Blue in hope on January 08, 2016, 12:03:28 PM
Until the management let the players get game time with their clubs people like Martin Dunne will not commit. He was out after the Armagh game in 2014 got no football worth talking about for the rest of the year. Got  some game time in the national league with high balls been put in on top of him. Got an few minutes in the championship. So up to July he got dam all football played. Why wasn't he (and others) not allowed to sharpen up and get game time with their clubs. From what i have been told all he wants is to play some ball this year and the only way he is guaranteed game time is with his club.

Didn't realise players were so heavily restricted by the management when it came to club games. Although very little point of him staying on the panel if he's not being selected.

What about this years U21s? Are they strong enough to make it to the Ulster final? 44 players togged out between two games against Meath so Lynch is certainly giving everyone a chance.

Itchy

There were a lot of players that got less time than Dunne. They didnt all leave. He needs a big ball winner beside him to prosper and if he is targeted by the opposition its game over.

mrdeeds

After last years league opener versus Roscommon it was easy to see why Dunne got little run in. Good quality ball going into him bouncing nicely and he literally didn't bother going for it. Always looking for it to be handed to him.

Westside

A good win, players blooded, goals scored, the inevitable "Johnston returns" headlines out of the way early.. Can't argue with that.

The U21s were hammered today. Don't think they scored at all in the second half.

cavan4sam

Enda Henry's goal was absolutely brilliant. It's a pity there's no video of it.

Great win with a very inexperienced side.

Itchy

Denn Forever

Next team.

am in Full:
1. Alan O'Mara (Oliver Plunketts)
2. Joshua Hayes (Cootehill)
3. Killian Brady (Mullahoran)
4. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
5. Barry Tully (Kingscourt)
6. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
7. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
8. David Givney (Ballymun Kickhams)
9. Thomas Corr (Denn)
10. Christopher Conroy (Lavey)
11. Jack Brady (Ramor Utd)
12. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
13. Conor Finnegan (Lacken)
14. Paul O'Connor (Cavan Gaels)
15. Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)

Best of luck to all the team.!!!
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

Bit worried about that defence, not much experience there at Senior Level. Very interested to hear how Finnegan and O'Connor get on, be relying on WeareCavan tonight!

cavan4sam

Pretty good performance from a very inexperienced Cavan side last night. Good to get a draw against a Monaghan team that introduced 2 All Stars in the second half to try to get the win.

From what I've seen of Cavan this year there are lot more options and there will be good competition for places. Only early days but fingers crossed for a good year.

Ollie

You can't fault them so far. Derry will be a good test. Be great to see them back in the McKenna Cup final and hopefully go one better than last year. Interestingly enough, Tyrone and Derry are the first two teams they play in the League. You'd imagine Tyrone will beat Fermanagh in the other semi final. So if we do make it to the final we could end up playing Tyrone two weeks in a row and then Derry in round 2. Its Meath in round 3 after that.

Denn Forever

Is it true that if you are on the county panel, you are  expected to sit out off games involving your club?

If true, madness.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...