Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Haise man, just back from the annual visit to the home place last night, hope you played a blinder and got bet by a point. Impression I got was that the Shamrocks felt they were slowly getting their act together and were up for the game, were fancying their chances particularly with Cullivan out of action. Didn't hear anytyhing about Roy or the Banker being back in action. Would be very surprised re. Charlie, since I thought he had well and truly chucked it in. In any event, there are enought good young fellas who will get more peed off if that sort of stuff sharts happening again. Look forward to your report either way.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

well what a fuckin shambles >:(

Baileborough won 2-04 to 0-05 and deservedly so.

we were absolutely terrible,shamrocks were just a bit better.

for us,
Barry Lynch was good

Barry Kelly was also good in the half backs,

Barry McCrudden caught a fair few balls and Stephen Smith alongside him score 0-4 out of our pitful taly of 0-5.

our forwards,one of which was me,(i was absolutely useless)were terrible.

we are a good team on paper,with lots of lads who have been on county under 21's and senior panels,but we just cant seem to produce it when it counts.

for Shamrocks,

Neil Donnelan good at full back,but went off injured.
David Rooney very good at CHB,
Finbar Clarke at midfield good.
Dessie Reily outstanding at wing forward,
Adrian Lambe very good at Centre Forward,
Andrew Coleman very good in the full forward line.

No Complaints,they were the better team,
hate that p**k of a manager Vincent Kelly though,Big headed c**t.
Hope Ballinagh annihilate them then rub it in next week.
im sick to be honest and will take a hiatus from the board for a few days.

Homer if im not on before next week,best of luck to Ballinagh and hope you now go on and win it.

shotstopper1

QuoteStephen Smith alongside him score 0-4 out of our pitful taly of 0-5.

I think you'll find that Stephen Smith scored all 5 points 2 from play.Ballyhaise achilles heel down through the years seems to be a major lack of scoring forwards,was told that last year their highest scorer from play was James Brady a 37/38 year old who played most of his career as a back!!Youse may bring back big Gerry :)
Bailieborough were by far the better team but once again their lack of a scoring forward will be their downfall.They were also easily capable of keeping Ballyhaise at bay even after losing their fullback early in the second half through injury and playiny the last 10/15 minutes with 14 men (Lambe got the line 2 yellows).P Byrd was introduced early in the first half for BB and scored a great point from play from about 50 yards out on the stand side, he also got their second goal late on.All in all though it was a dreadful game with ball being given away too easily by both sides and the shooting (as the scoreline suggests) pathetic.BB will have to up their game by 200%,  on this performance, if they intend troubling Ballinagh.

Maximus Marillius

Haise...so yer out of the championship...guess what, were still in it :P

descartes

B'boro looked the better team yesterday, the haise were up 4 pts to 1 at one stage in the first half. i thought g sheridan and s cooney were exceptional for b'boro. they carried the ball and broke tackles repeatedly. B'haise played like they had no game plan. they moved the ball quick but never engineered clear cut chances. And when they had the spare man everyone should have been bombing forward on overlaps but players would pass and stop running, not going for the return. B'boro are very strong defensively, 5 pts conceded last night, 1-07 against swad, 1-08 against bailinagh, 10 pts against redhills. i know this is probably a bizzare comparisson to make but they reminded me of chelsea. Not great to watch but methodical and well drilled!!!

Homer

Commiserations BallyhaiseMan it was just one of those days when nobody turns up, we've had plenty of them. Cullivan was a huge loss not only as an excellent footballer but as one of the reliable heads that produces without fail.

Cheers for the well wishes also.

The shamrocks will be a very tough nut to crack with all this momentum they've built up. Down to the wire I'd say.

Right lads back to some county discussion. The Chicago 3 are back, so have we cooled down or is there no room in the inn?

shotstopper1

A bit of history repeating itself on the Baileborough v Ballyhaise game, as was said Ballyhaise the hot favourites were 4 to 1 up at one stage and subsequently only scored another point for the rest of the game. Coincidently in 1981? Bailieboro played Ballyhaise in the Senior Championship Semi Final , where Ballyhaise were once again hot favourites,Ballyhaise proceded to go 5 points to 1 up early on, the final score Bailieboro 8 Ballyhaise 6.

QuoteThe Chicago 3 are back, so have we cooled down or is there no room in the inn?

See in the Cavan Post they not only won the divisional title with St Brendans but they've also won the NACB title.By the state of this years championship, so far, I'd say there's plenty of room in the inn!!

Blue06

A bit of history repeating itself on the Baileborough v Ballyhaise game, as was said Ballyhaise the hot favourites were 4 to 1 up at one stage and subsequently only scored another point for the rest of the game. Coincidently in 1981? Bailieboro played Ballyhaise in the Senior Championship Semi Final , where Ballyhaise were once again hot favourites,Ballyhaise proceded to go 5 points to 1 up early on, the final score Bailieboro 8 Ballyhaise 6.

That was probably '82 as Kingscourt & Drumalee played in the '81 final.  I think Bailieboro were only a Div 2 team at the time also.

anglocelt39

No Complaints,they were the better team,
hate that p**k of a manager Vincent Kelly though,Big headed c**t.
Hope Ballinagh annihilate them then rub it in next week.
im sick to be honest and will take a hiatus from the board for a few days.

I feel you pain Haise man, scant consolation to know you only have to listen to fab Vinnie once every so often, the Shamrocks lads have that privilege three times a week.

But seriously, the Shamrocks have been down on their arse for the last number of years which should never have happened. Nobody wanted to touch the job with a barge pole, particularly this year so fair dues to Kelly he took it on. For all his faults he brings non-stop energy and enthusiasm to the table and this has had a positive impact. Even when the league results were going poorly earlier in the year there was some optimism that the corner would be turned and it is being, slowly. A few old heads still around, a few good lads back from injuries/travel (Rooney, Donnellan) and last but not least youth is being given it's head. Good to see

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Homer on September 04, 2007, 11:32:57 AM
Right lads back to some county discussion. The Chicago 3 are back, so have we cooled down or is there no room in the inn?

No room at the Inn as far as I'm concerned. About the only thing I can say I agree with Keoghan on!

descartes

i love these quite days when nothing is happening on the board.  ??? BHMan wasn't joking about his hiatus....  :D

QuotePosted by: mylestheslasher 
Insert Quote
Quote from: Homer on September 04, 2007, 11:32:57 AM

No room at the Inn as far as I'm concerned. About the only thing I can say I agree with Keoghan on!

let me play devils advocat here for a minute... Think a county the size of cavans can't afford to dismiss its talent, Johnston, Gunner, Cahill, Gaynor, Brides(who has been exceptional for Plunketts in dublin this year), when does the carnage stop.

Handball Ace

Anyone notice any players who HAVEN'T been tried before in the championships (BH Man, please don't list 50 has-beens and never will be's plrease!!!)

Any B'boro? Killeshandra?

Homer

Just a couple for now.

Bailieborough

David 'Rooster' Rooney is well worth a run with the county, if he stays in the country. He was involved with the county u21s a few years ago and seemed to show a some promise. He spent the last 2-3 years in New York playing for Cavan and also represented the New York team while out there. Unfortunately I believe he's planning on skipping off to the land of Oz sometime in the future.

Neil Donnelan also looked a very decent prospect at full-back against Ballyhaise the other night. Can't say I noticed him much in our encounter last month but must admit I've the fingers crossed that the knock he picked up at the weekend might see him absent Sunday week.

Drumgoon

Micheal McDonald has impressed me a lot in the last year and looks to have developed from a limited lanky lump into a decent footballer. If we can get him introduced to inter-county standard we could really hone a fine midfielder out of him.

Cavan Gaels

Geroid Collins a bit smaller than we'd like he has the heart on the sleeve characteristic that we really need in the panel. Always excelled at underage for the county and  I believe Coleman gave him a run in a few senior challenge matches. Took a year out of football last year due to travel / injury and may not be yet back to his best.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Handball Ace on September 05, 2007, 07:23:45 PM
Anyone notice any players who HAVEN'T been tried before in the championships (BH Man, please don't list 50 has-beens and never will be's plrease!!!)

Any B'boro? Killeshandra?

Handball ace  >:(  :D

anyway,
agree with the names Homer has given,

im wondering about the position of The Coach of the Cavan team manager,
anyone see any way,Paul Grimley might be brought back,or has that bridge been burned?

anglocelt39

Welcome back Ballyhaise man, the thread is all the worse for your temporary absence. Looks like the Shamrocks wound you up a bit on Sunday night (or at least Kelly and Donnellan), tell us more? Neil and Andy Coleman would nearly be the last guys to represent the club at county minor level (up until this year at any rate). From what I know of Donnellan he would be a good, hardy, combative type of chap. The big brudder played for the county in the mid-90's and was no slouch. Took a year out travelling and back to the fold. Why are you keen to see him miss the semi-final?

there is probably a bit of an issue with getting some of the names to make the necessary committment to the County panel, apart altogether from whether they have the ability or  not.