Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

not confident AC

Baileborough are one of the most improved teams around in the county.
was impressed watching them against Swad.
It will be a battle.
i have confidence though that we will be up for it though.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: anglocelt39 on August 27, 2007, 07:42:33 PM
newspaper group River Media is adding a 10th title to its stable.

The first edition of the Cavan Post set to land on newsagents' shelves tomorrow where it will challenge the dominance of the Anglo Celt, the local behemoth, writes Joe Brennan.

Backed by the 'Irish News' and investors Padraig O'Dwyer and Tim Collins, both of whom were involved in Irish local radio, River Media has already launched or acquired nine other newspapers.

The latest title consolidates its position as the fifth largest newspaper group in the country.

, with a circulation of over 120,000 newspapers a week.

Seán McCabe, former deputy editor of the Longford Leader, is joining the Cavan Post as editor, with former Cavan goalkeeper Paul O'Dowd the sports editor

Should be interesting, certainly with POD as sports editor we are not talking about "Celt Lite", all the better. Finally, cannot imagine too many of our county heroes lasting too long in Crokers white heat yesterday. Work to do
Off topic, but this is getting ridiculous. This is the crowd that owns our local radio station (Ocean FM), and already they have similiar 'Posts' in Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal, Finn Valley, Letterkenny, Monaghan, Kildare (AFAIK), and obviously elsewhere too. You would at least think they would change the title name around a bit when they are at this. All have similiar layout and similiar quality - i.e. not all that great. Still it's one extra paper for areas which don't have any competition (like Cavan I guess), but in our case we had two and that was enough.

Anyway, back to topic, what stage of the Championship are Ballinagh at now Homer? Would have thought ye could get out of Intermediate when ye seem to be doing well enough in Division 1, compared to your lovely Senior southern neighbours. :P I presume they are safe from relegation now after that win?

Homer

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 27, 2007, 11:43:47 PM
Anyway, back to topic, what stage of the Championship are Ballinagh at now Homer? Would have thought ye could get out of Intermediate when ye seem to be doing well enough in Division 1, compared to your lovely Senior southern neighbours. :P I presume they are safe from relegation now after that win?

In the semi-finals now OMS, but this is all to familiar territory for us. Its been a really frustrating past few years as theres a young team there that could really benefit from Senior Championship football and possibly someday come to challenge at that level. Its a fairly open championship this year too with all six teams remaining, well equipped to bring it home on their day.

Yeah Lacken are indeed safe after annihilating Drumalee at the weekend. Trevor Crowe played full-forward with a broken bone in his foot. Last week the the doc' in the hospital explained to Trevor that he would need a cast, Trevor then explained to him how much he disliked Drumalee.

You from / have family in Lacken OMS?

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Homer on August 28, 2007, 10:41:21 AM
Trevor Crowe played full-forward with a broken bone in his foot. Last week the the doc' in the hospital explained to Trevor that he would need a cast, Trevor then explained to him how much he disliked Drumalee.

;D

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Homer on August 28, 2007, 10:41:21 AM
You from / have family in Lacken OMS?
No, just know a few lads from there through college, who were on their U21-winning team a few years back (when ye won the B, and they went off and won the A title!). Know one or two Ballinagh lads as well. Had good craic with them during the college days.

Homer

The Mullahoran - Kingscourt game has been called off this weekend due to the death of Dermot Sheridans father. RIP.

Denn Forever

What is the current state of play about the manager?  Who could we get or who woud we  want?  Good thread on the main board>
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Homer

Ideally, Brian McIver but I doubt he'll be interested. BHM mentioned Charlie Mulgrew who is a more realistic option.

Denn Forever

Congratulations to Brendan Sweeney (Ballymachugh) who will be the 4th official at the Hurling AI tomorrow.  Should this not be on the Hurling Thread?

Brendan was a corner back on the Ulster winning U21 team and I would think the last Cavan team to take part in an All Ireland final in 1988, where we lost to Offaly in Longford.  Fair play to him.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

descartes

QuoteCongratulations to Brendan Sweeney (Ballymachugh) who will be the 4th official at the Hurling AI tomorrow.  Should this not be on the Hurling Thread?

Brendan was a corner back on the Ulster winning U21 team and I would think the last Cavan team to take part in an All Ireland final in 1988, where we lost to Offaly in Longford.  Fair play to him.

what about the u21 team of 1996? but yeah, fair play to him anyway. its a big day for everyone involved tomorrow. hope limerick do it. just heard earlier that lavey and drumgoon drew yet again tonight. 2-10 to 1-13 AET. drumgoon were apparently winning easily at half time by 7 or 8 pts but conceded a bad goal and needed a wonder pt from keith fannin to force extra time. They were winning again by 4 pts in added time but conceded another sloppy goal. heard all this from a drung man so reckon its an unbiased enough account of the match. he said that for lavey joey jordan, darren smith, and Paul brady played well, and for drumgoon the Hannons, Edward jackson and Michael McDonald were all decent.

the rumour out is that pierson is still hamstrung and will miss the crosserlough gowna match tomorrow. Even still i'd Gowna to win, but not by much.

mylestheslasher

Killeshandra beat Munchies by 5 points last night too, to put them into the semi finals. That means the 3 teams from the Killeshandra parish are in the junior champ semis. I wonder has that happened before with any parish in one of the championships?

descartes

Gowna beat crosserlough by 4 pts today, 1-09 to 0-08. Heard McCabe was very good. Pierson played but looked out of shape.

BallyhaiseMan

McCabe has been Brilliant for Gowna in every game this year,

Player of the championship and its not even close.

Myles
so Killeshandra,Cornafean and Arva are semi finalists who is the last semi finalist Shannon Gaels?

Homer

Quote from: descartes on September 02, 2007, 01:14:59 AM
QuoteBrendan was a corner back on the Ulster winning U21 team and I would think the last Cavan team to take part in an All Ireland final in 1988, where we lost to Offaly in Longford.  Fair play to him.

what about the u21 team of 1996?

Actually lads (one for the pub quiz here) the last Cavan team to win an All Ireland was 2007. That honor going to Paul Brady and Micheal Finnegan in the mens doubles handball finals in May.

Belturbet beat Lacken in the league last night. Big shmozzle before half-time saw Joe Crowe getting the line with bro' Trevor and Gary McGahern following suit before the finish. Its between Lacken, Ballyhaise, Kingscourt and Drumalane for relegation now.

Good luck tonight BallyhaiseMan, I shall be watching from the wings. Break a leg  :D.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Homer on September 02, 2007, 04:45:19 PM
Quote from: descartes on September 02, 2007, 01:14:59 AM
QuoteBrendan was a corner back on the Ulster winning U21 team and I would think the last Cavan team to take part in an All Ireland final in 1988, where we lost to Offaly in Longford.  Fair play to him.

what about the u21 team of 1996?

Actually lads (one for the pub quiz here) the last Cavan team to win an All Ireland was 2007. That honor going to Paul Brady and Micheal Finnegan in the mens doubles handball finals in May.

Belturbet beat Lacken in the league last night. Big shmozzle before half-time saw Joe Crowe getting the line with bro' Trevor and Gary McGahern following suit before the finish. Its between Lacken, Ballyhaise, Kingscourt and Drumalane for relegation now.

Good luck tonight BallyhaiseMan, I shall be watching from the wings. Break a leg  :D.

thanks Homer ;D
hear Baileborough have Charlie Clarke and Roy Brennan back for the game tnite aswell,bringing all the big guns out ;)