Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Didn't Peter Quinn document the way forward a few years back only for a few small minded clubs to go appealing the decision getting the whole thing thrown out? Those clubs have a lot to answer for. In my opinion senior should have 10 clubs or so, 5/6 on their own merit and 4/5 amalgamations. Intermediate and junior played earlier in the year than the senior. Similar to what is in Kerry.

Blue in hope

Amalgamations cant play in Ulster club how would you arrive at  the team to represent Cavan?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Blue in hope on November 02, 2015, 10:18:51 AM
Amalgamations cant play in Ulster club how would you arrive at  the team to represent Cavan?

Same as they do in Kerry. If a club team wins the County Championship they represent Kerry in Munster. If an amalgamation wins the County Championship then the winners of the County Club Championship represents Kerry.

mrdeeds

Is it not the non amalgamated club that progresses furthest?

Look-Up!

I'm pretty sure they pick the winners of the club championship in that situation but I'm open to correction. But if a club team win the county championship then this championship gets preference. Otherwise if you had a county final of amalgamated teams how do you then decide which beaten semi-final club team progressed further?

mrdeeds

Sorry you're correct. It changed in recent years. Used to be best placed individual club went to Munster.

Westside

Went to Ballybofey yesterday for the Templeport game. Naomh Ultan weren't up to much and Templeport took full advantage. They play a lovely style of football, not afraid to play off the cuff and try the difficult pass or shot, lots of long passing and sweeping moves forward, full of confidence. Liam Galligan, Benjamin Kelly and Eoghan Doonan were the best three players on show. Kelly in particular looks to have all the physical attributes to play at a high level.

All three goals were very high quality and the moment of the game was probably Liam McAweeney's pass for the first goal. He was out on the right wing and played a through ball to a tiny pocket of space between the defender and goalie which Doonan read perfectly, collected and finished to the net.

They've beaten every team comfortably since they lost to Cornafean in the opening round but looked vulnerable when Naomh Ultan ran at them as they did at times in the final against Cornafean. I'd imagine the Glasdrumman will be a big step up in class but it will take a good side to stifle this Templeport attack.

mylestheslasher

This time of the year the same comments are made on here about the state of the club game in Cavan. Unfortunately it seems to be true. I played on a poor enough intermediate team when I played but I attend a few games last year and I couldnt help but notice the much poorer standard. So what is to be done? Surely the clubs need to recognise that it is in their long term interests to have stronger leagues and championships to develop their players as well as strengthen the county team. It has to be made a priority by the chairman in the same way as the last chairman made underage football a priority. Why? Well all the underage talent we have coming through will be wasted in the substandard Cavan football championships if something isnt done.

Well done to Templeport, looks like a good win. Hopefully they can go another step further and lift the gloom.

cavanmaniac

Lads what's the situation regarding Hyland's selectors and coaches for next season? It was decided a long time ago that he was staying on - despite the obvious stagnation in the senior team - and in my opinion the only thing that could make the re-appointment an even half-sensible decision is if there was a strong team around Hyland, because I think he has lost his way at this stage. The current inertia and lack of progress and planning doesn't bode well at all.

rodney trotter

There is no U21 manager confirmed yet either. Niall Lynch rumoured to have that. Down and Mayo still haven't a Senior manager. Hyland would know himself he needs a good backroom team, every county manager does.

When the County Champions manage 5 points in the Ulster Club, that is a big worry.

cavanmaniac

So my question stands then: if the need for a strong backroom team is so apparent to all of us, it should presumably also be apparent to Hyland and the county board ahead of what will, bottom line, be the defining season of his tenure. So why has everyone been flip-flopping and dragging their heels since he was reappointed? Mayo are hardly as much of a work-in-progress as we are, and well, Down can do things however they like, but I'd have thought Cavan would be seeking even the small advantage that can be gained from having a team in place early to commence planning ahead of January - a mere eight weeks down the road, by the way. It's a worrying sign from where I'm sitting, unless there's an ace up the sleeve that there's been no hint of...

rodney trotter

County management and backroom team is a big commitment. Whoever they are seeking is probaly seeing if they can give that time for the year ahead.
Tipperary were looking for a new manager for a good while, Liam Kearns was only announced on Monday.

mylestheslasher

I think one of the problems with getting someone is that they know that this is Hylands last year almost certainly. Therefore a new person will only have one year to make their mark as they may not necessarily be kept on with any new manager in 2017. The only sensible way for this to work is to have this years man as an apprentice who will take over next year. That means you are actually trying to a hire a new manager as opposed to a selector.

I still think Peter Reilly is  the man who fits this bill, if he is interested.

Blue in hope

Niall Lynch is the new U 21 manager. Hyland is having problems getting his back-room team together. Givney is back next year,Keating non committing yet as the league us still running in Dublin. Enda Hessin Cootehill is committing. Mark McKeever and Ronan Flanagan have opted out.

cavanmaniac

Yep,  fair points lads.  I just expected a greater degree of urgency but it'll happen at its own pace it seems. Getting Peter Reilly aboard would be a smart move maybe but he stepped down from the 21s a good while ago so if it was going to happen it might have already been sorted.

Overall I have a bad feeling about 2016...