Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 28, 2015, 11:22:19 AM
Had a feeling Rahan would be better prepared  this time, still a great year for Killeshandra and hopefully the experience can drive them on next year. I was a bit surprised seeing Cornafean losing to Templeport.

Why did it surprise you? Templeport beat them in the League and lost to them by a point in the first round after being 4 up with 10 minutes to go.

Templeport were excellent yesterday. Play a nice style of football, all very comfortable on the ball. Very impressive from a Junior side. Benjamin Kelly is developing into a marvellous footballer. Started at Full Forward and kicked two lovely points. Came out to wing back in the second half and pulled all the strings. Once Cornafean went man to man Liam Galligan cut loose (thanks to Kiernan's distribution) and Cornafean couldn't live with him.
The referee was letting a lot go and it wasn't suiting Templeport at the start, Kelly and Galligan were denied some stonewall frees but once Lasse Morgenroth began to dole out the hits things opened up a bit more and Templeport ran the game.
They all played well but the lads above as well as Liam McAweeney and Michael Devine were the driving force.

The scoreline flattered Cornafean, Templeport never looked in trouble. Unless Corlough can upset the odds they'll be playing in Division 2B as well as intermediate. With 3 starters having played Minor this year and 7 more still U21 next year it will be interesting to see how this side develop.

mylestheslasher

I just thought the reds would win, nothing against Templeport. In fact I am happy to see them win, its been a long time.

rodney trotter

It wouldn't have been a surprise result but Cornafean have thereabouts in Junior for the last few years, in the last 4 junior Semi's before this year. They beat Templeport  last year  in the quarter final.

Templeport scored a goal directly  from a 45 in the earlier championship meeting, they weren't all over Cornafean in that game. No teams no going down from intermediate this year so Cornafean will fancy their chances next year.

rodney trotter

Fairly dire Co County, First half in particular. Castlerahan slightly the better team in the first half and deserved to lead. Kingscourt made a few good changes. Cian Mcardle done well when he came on.

Kingscourt is a designated Co County ground so they might get to play Kilcoo there in Ulster. They played Glenties in 2010 in Kingscourt. I can't see them beating Kilcoo.

Denn Forever

RIP J J O'Reilly, Cavan Gaels.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Itchy

Home to Armagh, bring on the fighting

Westside

Heard on the grapevine that a former Cavan U21 player is heading to play for Leitrim...

rodney trotter

Presume that is Niall Walsh? He transferred to Glenfarne earlier this year. Why did he transfer to them?, it's only a few miles from Shannon Gaels.

mylestheslasher

Any word on Terry Hylands back room team for next year? I'm not unhappy McHale is gone anyway, dont see what he brought to it and like I said when he was brought in, I had big doubts about him. I'd like to see the potential next manager come from within the county and it would be a great idea to get that person into the back room team this year - Peter Reilly, Bernard Morris, Ciaran Brady someone like that. Any word on whether Keating will come back in? What about Alan Clarke?

Westside

Nevin O'Donnell, from what I hear, was at the initial Leitrim team meetings. Surprised at Shane Ward he seemed like a manager with a bit of sense, O'Donnell has no business being there. Seems like a guy who wants to play county football as opposed to playing football for his county.

Strange that there's been no confirmation of a backroom team. If Keating doesn't play county football this year he can pretty much forget about his intercounty career. You need to be playing at that level consistently. If he doesn't want to come in then let him at it, he won't make or break the chances of the team.

Itchy

I thought nevin o Donnell was in England?

rodney trotter

O Donnell is from Leitrim orginally. Played with them at County 16 level before moving to Shannon Gaels.  Leitrim lost Paul Brennan who switched to Bundoran at the end of 2014, and will now be eligible to play County with Donegal next year. Ward mightn't mind a player joinining them.

No word on the County u21 management either. Niall Lynch would be a good choice for that role.

Itchy

Is Peter Reilly not going to take u21 again? I must have missed that. Would lynch be a good addition to senior setup? Everything seems to be dragging on a bit.

rodney trotter

He is no longer U21 manager. .

Lynch is one of the coaches in the County, won 2 All Ireland Vocational Schools with Virginia, County titles with Mullahoran and Kingscourt,beaten narrowly in last years final

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 24, 2015, 08:53:47 PM
He is no longer U21 manager. .

Lynch is one of the coaches in the County, won 2 All Ireland Vocational Schools with Virginia, County titles with Mullahoran and Kingscourt,beaten narrowly in last years final

When did Peter Reilly stand down, was that recently? For me he did a very good job with the U21s. I know some people think he was too defensive but for me he was playing the hand he was given to the best of his ability. He will be a hard man to follow.