Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bottom Brick

Isn't there some "history" between Keogan and Smith?

Smith was minor board chairman the year that keogan got shafted if I'm not mistaken...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Blue06

Isn't there some "history" between Keogan and Smith?

Smith was minor board chairman the year that keogan got shafted if I'm not mistaken...

I  know when Keogan finished as minor manager he was after receiving  a 6 month suspension from the county board.
He resigned citing not enough time to do the job due to personnel & business reasons.

He got that suspension late on in the year so his position as minor manager would have been untenable.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: descartes on August 23, 2007, 10:04:06 PM
Quotemost Cavan players are putting in the effort but there's quite a few who aren't and that's clearly obvious. Lorcan Mulvey, Larry Reilly and Jason Reilly were just three players carrying varying amounts of heavy timber this year and looking very unfit, can you name anyone on the Armagh team you could say the same about? Just look at their physiques for God's sake!

Any of the o'rourkes??? ciaran McKeever, but in fairness can never be sure if he just has a chest like arnie or if he's carrying weight  ;D ;D ;D

interesting debate raging on, whisper it now, hoganstand.com/cavan about an intercounty junior team. little known fact out there is that cavans junior team was disbanded in 1969ish, the last year we won an ulster excluding 97 of course. a coincidence? methinks not. people always talk about no minor win since blah blah blah, but the lack of a junior team has been a far greater contributor to our bad run than the lack of a minor titles.

BH Man, cullivan has done his cruciate i believe? that fairly throws a spanner in your plans for the intermediate. think bailieborough are slowly gathering momentum, of course b'nagh and drumgoon seem favourites.

heres a few thoughts on the weekend...

think k'scourt are gonna scare the b'jasus out of mullahoran this weekend, and think the gaels are gonna limp past ramor by no more than 4 pts.

Gowna will struggle without pierson against chucullains, but reckon they'll still do it. think its an interesting weekend in cavan football this weekend, the big 3 are all going to have it tight enough.

wonder will keoghan be at any of the games or will he be spending his time shopping for a new back room team ??? ??? ???

Descartes

Cant say i agree at all with the Armagh comparisons,Theres absolutely none of them carrying any excess baggage,i would bet that if if the body fat percentages were taken off Ciaran McKeever and Martin o Rourke,they would be in the low teens.
dont think we could say the same for our boys.

Agree with you on the lack of a junior team,we need to start entering one,Gives guys not just ready for Senior intercounty a chance.

Cullivan is out for the rest of the year im afraid,its a terrible blow,because we all know how good he is,
would agree Ballinagh and Drumgoon are favourites  ;)

as for this weekends games

I fancy Kingscourt to shock Mullahoran,even though they are missing their key defender and should be future countyman Brendan Corcoran.Great defender.

Cavan Gaels by 10+ for me,
Ramor have alot of young talent,and in a year or two will be challenging for the senior championship,but i cant see them coping with the gaels this year.

Gowna by 3 or 4 for me aswell.

mylestheslasher

I see Arva beat Shercock 1-10 to 0-9 in the junior championship. Thats a big big shock for me. Kill Beat Killinkere in the intermediate relegation too which is another shock result. Gowna beat cuchulains by 5, The Gaels beat Ramor by 7, Mullahoran drew with Kingscourt (as predicted on this very forum) Lacken hammered Drumalee in the senior relegation match. Drumgoon drew with Lavey in the intermediate QF, while B'Boro squeaked past Swad by 1 point in the intermediate backdoor. Thats all I got

Homer

Also as predicted we scraped by Cootehill by 5. Very poor first half from us with only two early goals (Niall McDermott and Paul Galligan) keeping us in the lead by the minimum at half-time. We didn't start much better after the break and then with 15 minutes to go tore through them landing a few nice scores, Terry Smith getting a third goal and leaving the difference at 7. Cootehill edged this down to 5 before the whistle.

Best for us was Niall and Podge Reilly, Niall McDermott and Damien McInerney.

Cootehill had John McCutcheon, Colm Smith and their full-forward McCarney(?) as their best.

Drumlane beat Laragh by 3 also.

Homer

The intermediate semi-finals now looks like

Drumlane v (Drumgoon v Lavey)

Ballinagh v (Ballyhaise v Bailieborough)

Killygarrylady

Killygarry Ladies GFC - Table Quiz:)
Killygarry Ladies GFC are hosting a Fundraiser TV Table Quiz!!

Think you know your soaps and TV? Come and test your knowledge! We have it all from – The A-Team, Prison Break, Eastenders, The Simpsons, Flying Doctors, Greys' Anatomy to Glenroe, – So come along for a great night!

The Kesh Bar

Thurs August 30th 2007 @ 8pm

Lots of prizes, Everybody Welcome! €40 per Table, Your support will be much appreciated!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Homer on August 27, 2007, 10:24:09 AM
Also as predicted we scraped by Cootehill by 5. Very poor first half from us with only two early goals (Niall McDermott and Paul Galligan) keeping us in the lead by the minimum at half-time. We didn't start much better after the break and then with 15 minutes to go tore through them landing a few nice scores, Terry Smith getting a third goal and leaving the difference at 7. Cootehill edged this down to 5 before the whistle.

Cootehill had John McCutcheon, Colm Smith and their full-forward McCarney(?) as their best.

wasnt in at the game due to training,but i heard Colm Smith was outstanding for Cootehill and that they dominated Midfield mostly.

also heard B'nagh were in a bit of disarray with choice of Goalkeepers etc, you had to put Declan Beard one of your best forwards in goals?
no Darragh McCarthy or other options?Bit suprising as id have though B'Nagh would have had a few goalkeeping prospects available from your great underage success.

CC1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 27, 2007, 02:32:42 PM

wasnt in at the game due to training,but i heard Colm Smith was outstanding for Cootehill and that they dominated Midfield mostly.

also heard B'nagh were in a bit of disarray with choice of Goalkeepers etc, you had to put Declan Beard one of your best forwards in goals?
no Darragh McCarthy or other options?Bit suprising as id have though B'Nagh would have had a few goalkeeping prospects available from your great underage success.

I can transfer to them if they want. Have nothing else to do for another couple of months...  :-[
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: CC1 on August 27, 2007, 02:52:45 PM

I can transfer to them if they want. Have nothing else to do for another couple of months...  :-[

fairly shocked you lost to Arva mate, what happened?

cavan4ever

McCarthy was is goals but came off at half time injured and Beard who was only a sub went into goals. 

Homer

Darragh McCarthy decided to retire from senior football at the end of last year. He continued to play junior football this year.

Enda Culligan our would be first choice keeper this year, broke a bone in his hand and also his thumb in training during the week so Darragh resumed the position. Then at half-time in the match McCarthy had to come off with a suspected broken ankle (later turned out to be tissue damage). So Declan Beard was thrown into the fray. He was on the bench and has a decent kick off the ground so was an obvious choice.

We actually had four players go to hospital; Darragh McCarthy, Colin Gumley, Alan Durkin (both required a few stitches) and Paul Galligan (shoulder ligament damage). But it wasn't a dirty game.

Cootehill won the midfield battle 70-30 if not more. Cian McDermott looked very tired had an absolute nightmare. Moved him to CHF with Terry Smith coming out but Cootehill remained dominant.

CC1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 27, 2007, 02:55:15 PM
fairly shocked you lost to Arva mate, what happened?
Bad day at the office all round I'm afraid BHM, started off with three or four first teamers going out on the drink last Friday and Saturday night week ago. None of whom started. All would be fairly high profile players. That didn't help one bit. But the biggest thing of all was the destinct lack of hunger for the breaking ball. Arva won serious amounts until our lads realised that they were in bother, we got back into it and got back level.

Looked like we were going to sneak it then Emo gave Arva a free, ball dropped in between crossbar and post. I caught it, but while in flight my shoulder came off the post and an Arva player came in grabbed it out of my hands. I block his shot, the ball goes across the goal mouth. One of our players hoofs the ball in an attempt to get it away, it hits an Arva player on the way and cannoned into the net. The story of our day. Comedy of errors and lack of hunger in certain areas of the field cost us on the day. Simple as that. I'm just really really gutted, I thought we could do it this year but yet again we let ourselves down.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

BallyhaiseMan

so Arva,Shannon Gaels,Cornafean and Killeshandra are the last 4,

some good local derbies no doubt ending with a few punch ups and sendings off no doubt. :o

Homer,its a sign of a good team.playing badly and winning,if we get o ver Baileborough next Friday ,im guessing we have a date with Ballinagh in a fortnight in Breffini. :)

anglocelt39

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 27, 2007, 06:08:03 PM
so Arva,Shannon Gaels,Cornafean and Killeshandra are the last 4,

some good local derbies no doubt ending with a few punch ups and sendings off no doubt. :o

Homer,its a sign of a good team.playing badly and winning,if we get o ver Baileborough next Friday ,im guessing we have a date with Ballinagh in a fortnight in Breffini. :)

Confident of getting over the famed Shamrocks on Friday night then, Haise Man?? I'm on my annual trip to the old home place this weekend, unfortunately will not be there till Saturday so will not make the game it seems, more the pity. Impression I get is that scoring is a bit of a problem for the East Cavan lads, certainly seems to be a bit of a blend of youth and experience there, will be surprised if they lie down on the job.

Anyway, on to a different topic:

newspaper group River Media is adding a 10th title to its stable.

The first edition of the Cavan Post set to land on newsagents' shelves tomorrow where it will challenge the dominance of the Anglo Celt, the local behemoth, writes Joe Brennan.

Backed by the 'Irish News' and investors Padraig O'Dwyer and Tim Collins, both of whom were involved in Irish local radio, River Media has already launched or acquired nine other newspapers.

The latest title consolidates its position as the fifth largest newspaper group in the country.

, with a circulation of over 120,000 newspapers a week.

Seán McCabe, former deputy editor of the Longford Leader, is joining the Cavan Post as editor, with former Cavan goalkeeper Paul O'Dowd the sports editor

Should be interesting, certainly with POD as sports editor we are not talking about "Celt Lite", all the better. Finally, cannot imagine too many of our county heroes lasting too long in Crokers white heat yesterday. Work to do
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds