Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Always a pleasure to see someone sign up for one post just to call me a bollix. I agree totally with Cavanmaniac, as far as I am concerned that particular issue was dealt with. If someone was to reverse the decision taken 3 years ago well I would personally have to give a lot of thought whether I'd be bothered to make the journeys I do to follow the team - I don't think I would be the only one with that opinion too. Not sure what the sour grapes reference means, what have I got to have sour grapes about???

rodney trotter

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 07, 2015, 12:44:04 AM
There's no way the decision should be Hyland's to make, he simply has not earned that right. He got his second chance after a very tame 2014 showing and we've seen now that despite his best and wholehearted efforts, he has completely run out of ideas and it looks like some of the players are no longer buying it either.

One of the best things we can say that he did though was to maintain a new standard for the type of behaviour and attitude expected of any player who wants to wear the blue jersey. There is no longer a sense that playing for the county team is a 'favour' a player does for his county, there's no more going cap-in-hand to lads with dodgy pasts, giving them chance after chance to swing the lead and wag the dog because we're only seeing the next match and not the longer road ahead. Despite not winning anything, at least the county team is now bigger than any one player and that's how it must stay unless people want a return to the way it was 5/6 years ago. And I think most sensible people have actually moved on from the Johnson issue and it's really only those with the short-term view and no concern for the sustained health of the game in the county that keep calling for his return - they are truly the ones that haven't moved on because there's just no longer any place whatsoever for lads like him, who despite having all the talent in the world have a toxic attitude that infects and stymies the whole panel. I know the post above is just from a wind-up merchant but there are too many people who genuinely would have Johnson back in the morning and that's ridiculous IMO.

So fair play to Terry for staying strong on issues like this and for raising the bar overall. But I do feel he has run out of road and now it's time for someone else to take over. People say we have no forwards but I wonder how much of this is due to coming up the ranks and having a very defensive mindset ingrained from a very young age, because of the degree of success achieved that way? I think a diluting of the negative focus would suddenly see a few lads open up a little and find they have a few more scores in their boots than they realise. For that reason I wonder if Peter Reilly is the answer, he also seems committed to that way of playing?

Which way of playing should Cavan be playing? Look at the size of the Cavan team compared to Roscommon - None of the half Cavan half forward were 6ft (mackey martin reilly and McVeety), Martin Dunne isn't near 6ft or Tom Hayes, Jack Brady, Ronan Flanagan

Enda Smith is a good example of a player Cavan lack in the forward line

cavan4sam

Has there been any definite date set for the club championship yet?

comeysfield

Some prelim games on Wednesday July 22

Some first round and Prelim and 1st weekend of August

All others on 6th 9th August

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 07, 2015, 09:24:21 AM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 07, 2015, 12:44:04 AM
There's no way the decision should be Hyland's to make, he simply has not earned that right. He got his second chance after a very tame 2014 showing and we've seen now that despite his best and wholehearted efforts, he has completely run out of ideas and it looks like some of the players are no longer buying it either.

One of the best things we can say that he did though was to maintain a new standard for the type of behaviour and attitude expected of any player who wants to wear the blue jersey. There is no longer a sense that playing for the county team is a 'favour' a player does for his county, there's no more going cap-in-hand to lads with dodgy pasts, giving them chance after chance to swing the lead and wag the dog because we're only seeing the next match and not the longer road ahead. Despite not winning anything, at least the county team is now bigger than any one player and that's how it must stay unless people want a return to the way it was 5/6 years ago. And I think most sensible people have actually moved on from the Johnson issue and it's really only those with the short-term view and no concern for the sustained health of the game in the county that keep calling for his return - they are truly the ones that haven't moved on because there's just no longer any place whatsoever for lads like him, who despite having all the talent in the world have a toxic attitude that infects and stymies the whole panel. I know the post above is just from a wind-up merchant but there are too many people who genuinely would have Johnson back in the morning and that's ridiculous IMO.

So fair play to Terry for staying strong on issues like this and for raising the bar overall. But I do feel he has run out of road and now it's time for someone else to take over. People say we have no forwards but I wonder how much of this is due to coming up the ranks and having a very defensive mindset ingrained from a very young age, because of the degree of success achieved that way? I think a diluting of the negative focus would suddenly see a few lads open up a little and find they have a few more scores in their boots than they realise. For that reason I wonder if Peter Reilly is the answer, he also seems committed to that way of playing?

Which way of playing should Cavan be playing? Look at the size of the Cavan team compared to Roscommon - None of the half Cavan half forward were 6ft (mackey martin reilly and McVeety), Martin Dunne isn't near 6ft or Tom Hayes, Jack Brady, Ronan Flanagan

Enda Smith is a good example of a player Cavan lack in the forward line
I agree.
Others including myself have said it before,we need a physically bigger team. If that means sacrificing some skill for size and speed,so be it.
Certain lads looked like under 16's compared to some of their Roscommon opponents.

As Comeysfield said, Any games with teams featuring county minors won't have to play until the 6-9th of August,all other first rounds on the Bank holiday weekend.

cavanmaniac

I don't mean wholesale/baby and bath water changes to the playing approach as such but when you see the team retreating into keep ball with Monaghan shipping water,  and other lads passing up on opportunities to shoot in favour of shoveling the ball around,  it suggests there's too great a focus on negativity which is in itself a signal to the players that in a way,  they're not good enough. There's more in the team (even if we're nowhere near the top tier)  if a better balance can be struck between defensive solidity and a little bit of craft,  guile,  invention and speed in attack.  Things are so heavily concentrated on not losing that the team looks all at sea and actually,  embarrassingly  under coached  when moving beyond midfield.
In hindsight,  Keating despite his failings was a huge loss up front. Cavan's sheer lack of edge beyond the 45m line was almost bizarre,  but again,  a few more balls into Argue that weren't hopelessly misdirected,  and a degree of support around him for any breaks,  might have improved things a little.

Myra mains

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 07, 2015, 08:52:39 AM
Always a pleasure to see someone sign up for one post just to call me a bollix. I agree totally with Cavanmaniac, as far as I am concerned that particular issue was dealt with. If someone was to reverse the decision taken 3 years ago well I would personally have to give a lot of thought whether I'd be bothered to make the journeys I do to follow the team - I don't think I would be the only one with that opinion too. Not sure what the sour grapes reference means, what have I got to have sour grapes about???
i was actually living in Kildare when you were in the middle of your Seanie Johnston bashing. Who really gives a f**k whether you are making journeys to follow Cavan or not? Who? Judging by the attendance last Saturday lots of ppl have already made the same decision as I hope u will be making. Take it from me Seanie Johnston will play for Cavan under new management as will Tierney and Keating. Now that can only be good for Cavan football as we are short a few forwards. Now whether you are following the team or not who really gives a f**k?

BallyhaiseMan

Declan McKiernan whom is playing great stuff with Killeshandra should also be asked back. He was always a very good footballer,but he is a lot leaner and quicker than in other years.
There are also others such as Paul O Connor(whom has returned to form and is playing great stuff with the Gaels) and Philly Tinnelly whom need to be brought back in and given a proper chance.
I'm not going to attack any specific panel member as they have put in a massive amount of work,but those 3 and some of the others mentioned by other posters are much better footballers  than some on the starting team and the panel.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Myra mains on July 07, 2015, 02:36:29 PM
i was actually living in Kildare when you were in the middle of your Seanie Johnston bashing. Who really gives a f**k whether you are making journeys to follow Cavan or not? Who? Judging by the attendance last Saturday lots of ppl have already made the same decision as I hope u will be making. Take it from me Seanie Johnston will play for Cavan under new management as will Tierney and Keating. Now that can only be good for Cavan football as we are short a few forwards. Now whether you are following the team or not who really gives a f**k?

Glad to see someone was actually living in Kildare, Seanie wasn't after all. Listen, I know school is finished for the year and you have time on your hands but do me a favour and go play your Xbox or something.
BTW - as to who cares about me, well you were the one that asked me what I was going to do so I presume you care which is touching I must say.

Myra mains

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 07, 2015, 03:46:28 PM
Quote from: Myra mains on July 07, 2015, 02:36:29 PM

Glad to see someone was actually living in Kildare, Seanie wasn't after all. Listen, I know school is finished for the year and you have time on your hands but do me a favour and go play your Xbox or something.
BTW - as to who cares about me, well you were the one that asked me what I was going to do so I presume you care which is touching I must say.
and when it comes to talking about good forwards in the county take the chip of the shoulder and the blinkers off let bygones be bygones for the betterment of Cavan football . That's if your a true supporter at all. Sooner Seanie and co are back on the scene the better even if it means losing you as a so called supporter. Least we won't have to read your shite any more. That alone would be a good enough reason to see Seanie back

Itchy

You've a dirty mouth Myra Hindley.

tommysmith

Myra as matter of interest do you thing Seanie can make a difference?

He couldn't get much game time on a Kildare team who supposedly had poor forwards.

He is now two or three years older and isn't playing much club football.

Westside

Any manager who comes in and asks Johnston onto the panel will automatically prove himself not up to the job. A player well past his best and the most surefire way of causing a split in the camp. It won't happen.

For me, Peter Reilly has to have first refusal on the job. Every Cavan team is now managed by a Cavan person and it needs to stay that way. Our underage successes have all come with Cavan managers at the helm. People want to follow the example of the top counties, then why not in this respect? The people on HS calling for James Horan and Jim McGuinness are embarrassing.

rodney trotter

They wouldn't be available anyway. Horan has big work commitments and said he couldn't see himself managing anither County.  McGuinness has a bigger role with Celtic next season working with the first team.

Niall Lynch wouldn't be a bad choice.  Done good work at schools level with Virginia, and Mullahoran and  kingscourt

Myra mains

Quote from: Westside on July 07, 2015, 08:19:30 PM
Any manager who comes in and asks Johnston onto the panel will automatically prove himself not up to the job. A player well past his best and the most surefire way of causing a split in the camp. It won't happen.

For me, Peter Reilly has to have first refusal on the job. Every Cavan team is now managed by a Cavan person and it needs to stay that way. Our underage successes have all come with Cavan managers at the helm. People want to follow the example of the top counties, then why not in this respect? The people on HS calling for James Horan and Jim McGuinness are embarrassing.
lads ye would need to seek facts before going to print. There are too many players not on the panel the split is already there. At least half the current panel have no problem with Johnstons return if he adds to the setup. Listen to Hylands interview after the game against Ross. Listen to the shite he talked about the mossy sending off and what he knew about it. Pure shite talk.listen to his interviews about players who left the panel during the year. Pure shite if you know the real story . I know why 1 particular player left and it not anything like the story Hyland protrays. It's the exact opposite. He's a shite talker who's starting to lose respect and get found out. Johnston won't play under anything that Forde is involved in . But he will play for Cavan again as will Tierney Givney Keating.