Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

I went over to Ruislip yesterday. Facile victory, hard to do any real analysis. Cavan were just miles ahead of London in every facet of the game and I really think there were a gear or two extra in us too. Totally dominant in midfield were Corr did all the donkey work and Gearoid kicked 1-6 linking up very well on attacks. Like I said really hard to gauge how good or bad we were as the opposition were poor but I thought the forward runs of McVetty and gearoid were execellent and niall Mc played very well. Probably easier to pick the few negatives. Argue at FF had a hand in both goals but he just does not look natural under the high diagonal ball, flapping at them and seems to easy to knock of his stride - the few high balls that were put in were pretty poor too to be honest. Rory Dunne was down for a long time and that looked a serious injury, I'd be surprised to hear he will be back this year. I dont think there was much wrong with Killian, he had no ice on his leg and was walking freely after the game - I'm guessing he felt something and came off as a precaution. Seems also Terry is wielding the axe. Mackey dropped (did play well when he came on) and Martin Dunne dropped from match day panel. Mulvery huffed and puffed for London but same old story with him , he has power and strength but not a lot upstairs and not up to inter county standard in terms of fitness. He might do for 10mins at FF if you were looking for a goal but that is it. Not a loss to Cavan team anyway in my opinion.

Westside

What sort of role was Gearoid playing myles?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on June 21, 2015, 01:09:15 PM
What sort of role was Gearoid playing myles?

Its hard to say as it was so loose but I would say he was playing an advanced midfield/ctr forward role for the most part. He actually went in FF for the throw in and argue went to midfield then they switched back immediately - but that was probably more about us trying to win the throw ins.

Also meant to say Ray Galligans kick outs were outstanding and he kicked a 45 with such ease (put ball down, 3 steps back, quick glance at the posts and alsmost tapped it over). Gilsenan might have the huff but I tell you galligan is the best keeper and thats why he is starting.

comeysfield

4th July Roscommon in Breffni

cavanmaniac

Happy with that draw as we've home advantage.  Now we'll see what ourselves and the Rossies are made of,  and it'll be a significant signpost as to where we're headed under Terry.

cavan4sam

Hearing talk that Martin Dunne has left the panel. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Itchy

Quote from: cavan4sam on June 22, 2015, 03:50:58 PM
Hearing talk that Martin Dunne has left the panel. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Sure if he wants to walk away with him, personally getting a bit sick of hearing about lads who think they are so entitled to start that they feck off if they don't start. If you are not willing to fight for your place well away with ya

Westside

Well said Itchy. Dunne has had far too many poor games this year to have a guaranteed starting place. Hopefully he hasn't gone though as he definitely has something to add to the squad.

rodney trotter

Surpised he didn't walk after his theatrics when he was taken off against Kerry in 2013, throwing his hands in the air.

It's a bit like Conor Mortimer for Mayo - instead of  willing to get his place back he walks.

mylestheslasher

Martin Dunne has strengths and weaknesses, his biggest problem is his lack of ball winning ability which means that he needs someone beside him to win him the ball. Now it is the managers prerogative if he wishes to make other changes in the team to accommodate Dunne and perhaps he has decided that he is not willing to do that, at least not against London. It would be really disappointing if Dunne reacts like this as he does have something to offer. He should think hard as this is a harsh decision and maybe he should instead channel his anger into something constructive.

comeysfield

Think Dunne is just injured by all accounts

rodney trotter

Picked up a hand injury against Louth in a challenge game, would have been drastic enough to be walking off the panel.

cavan4sam

Yea, seen McHale interview in the Celt saying that alright.

tierworker blue

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 21, 2015, 12:35:54 PM
I went over to Ruislip yesterday. Facile victory, hard to do any real analysis. Cavan were just miles ahead of London in every facet of the game and I really think there were a gear or two extra in us too. Totally dominant in midfield were Corr did all the donkey work and Gearoid kicked 1-6 linking up very well on attacks. Like I said really hard to gauge how good or bad we were as the opposition were poor but I thought the forward runs of McVetty and gearoid were execellent and niall Mc played very well. Probably easier to pick the few negatives. Argue at FF had a hand in both goals but he just does not look natural under the high diagonal ball, flapping at them and seems to easy to knock of his stride - the few high balls that were put in were pretty poor too to be honest. Rory Dunne was down for a long time and that looked a serious injury, I'd be surprised to hear he will be back this year. I dont think there was much wrong with Killian, he had no ice on his leg and was walking freely after the game - I'm guessing he felt something and came off as a precaution. Seems also Terry is wielding the axe. Mackey dropped (did play well when he came on) and Martin Dunne dropped from match day panel. Mulvery huffed and puffed for London but same old story with him , he has power and strength but not a lot upstairs and not up to inter county standard in terms of fitness. He might do for 10mins at FF if you were looking for a goal but that is it. Not a loss to Cavan team anyway in my opinion.

I havn't been online since getting home from London but yep, I'd pretty much agree with all of that Myles. Rory is a huge loss ahead of the Ros game. I havn't heard much about Killian, but I did notice that he didn't leave with the rest of the team on the bus. In fairness, that could be a pre-arranged thing, and doesn't mean that he was injured and waving goodbye to the rest of the Summer.
There was a huge amount of space in the game, but you can only beat what is put in front of you, so even though it was a very straight forward win, it was good for the lads to be able to stretch their legs. We've put up good scores in the London game, and a challenge against Louth, and had a good showing against the Dubs (from what I've been told) so at least we're facing the next qualifier with a small bit of pep in our step!
I'm told that there have been a few niggles on the Ros panel (the bus had to be pulled over on the way to the Sligo game apparently, so lads could be separated etc) so hopefully we'll get the upper hand...we owe them one at this stage! A row in their panel could clear the air and unite them though, so it isn't necessarily a good thing from our point of view.
Heading over to Ruislip was great auld fun, and it was nice that everyone hung around afterwards (supporters and team for a while) and had a bit of craic. 90% of the time these days, we go to matches, and just hop in the car afterwards, so it was good to have an away day and a weekend's divilment following the team!

Itchy

Gerry Reilly cup first game Cavan 0-13 Monaghan 1-9