Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packiedevlin

The 2 goals came from high balls that Argue got his fist to. I wouldnt read into the result at all, it was a 2nd team from Meath. However, Martin Dunne was very poor and I cant see how he'll start against Monaghan, Jack was very good and if its between those two for a position then its a no contest in my opinion. The best performer was Niall Murray at half back: showed great hunger, support play and lot of pace which I hadnt noticed before. Ronan Flanagan played in the forwards which was strange as I dont think he'll be there in 2 weeks time and Fergal Flanagan corner back after playing most of this year half back. There was no game time for McVeety either this week or last week, is he injured? Killian Clarke came off injured in the first half.

Western Blue

Heard on Sunday morning that Mayo played a challenge match against Cavan behind close doors on Saturday .Cavan won the game by 8 points.

mylestheslasher

No one in Mayo seems to know anything about this game, did it really happen?

Western Blue

Could have been our Minors , asked A 0'S tonight and he knew nothing about it,sorry false dawn.

Westside

Anyone think Galligan could start in goals on Sunday? If Terry had used him in the league and had him kick frees in the challenge games he played then Monaghan would surely have their stall set out to not foul within a specific range. If he thinks they could be caught unawares and we could punish them for fouling within Galligan's range it could give us a boost. I think it would be a huge risk though, if he makes a blunder the decision to start him would be crucified.

cavan4sam

Terry Hyland and Cavan Management have named the starting team to play Monaghan in Sunday's Ulster Championship Quarter Final. Throw in in Kingspan Breffni Park is 2pm.

There are no debutants in the starting lineup with one noticeable absentee, Killian Clarke who is ruled out through injury.
Cavan Panel who played Galway

Senior Team in Full:
Conor Gilsenan (Bailieboro), Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), James McEnroe (Ramor Utd), Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge), Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet), Tomas Corr (Denn), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Dara McVeety (Crosserlough), Michael Argue (Bailieboro), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh).

comeysfield

cavan4sam

Cavan Minor team to play Monaghan Sunday 12.15pm in Kingspan Breffni Park
Fergal O'Rourke (Laragh Utd), Patrick O'Reilly (Crosserlough), Donal Monahan (Drumlane), Luke Fortune (Cavan Gaels), Dillon Raythorne (Templeport), Shane Fortune (Cavan Gaels), David Wilson (Lacken), David Brady (Ballyhaise), Conor Brady (Gowna), Darragh Gannon (Killygarry), Ryan O'Neill (Kildallan), Shane Moynagh (Lacken), Eoghan Cooney (Laragh Utd), Robbie Fitzpatrick (Gowna), Thomas Edward Donohoe (Denn)

Westside

First three Hoganstand posts after the game are to say it was lost on the line... Surprise surprise.

Great chance for the Minors now, Antrim or Fermanagh next and an Ulster Final if they win that. Ulster losers meet Leinster Winners and visa versa.

comeysfield

There will be a lot of people calling for Hyland's head now. Especially playing Ronan ahead of a recognized forward .  4 Points up and we went sideways with the ball was that the players or the line ? Could not understand how McKiernan stayed on in the crucial part of the game he just hid COrr ran out of steam but he put in one hell of a shift.  If Hyland wants to stay I expect the county board will stick with him as we do still seem to be making progress but without the breakthrough. A run in the qualifiers is not beyond this team. But we have to just cut out the silly fouls couple of players at critical moments jumping into lads backs when we had the numbers in place and absolutely no need

McManus's point from play at the end was a wonderful score unfortunately worth the entrance fee alone for that

Great win for the minors and also they all seemed physically big except one or two  so lots to work with there as well 

packiedevlin

I dont know how Mackey stayed on for so long, he was the poorest performer in my opinion .. cost us at least 3 points and the point from the throw in at the start of the second half was unforgivable considering they got a carbon copy from the throw in at the beginning of the game.
Heres the potential teams we can draw, not as bad as last year!

1.       Offaly

2.       Carlow

3.       Longford (assuming they lose to Dublin)             

4.       Cavan

5.       Fermanagh/Antrim

6.       Kildare/Laois

7.       Waterford/Tipperary

8.       London

mylestheslasher

I was unable to make or watch the match due to other commitments and I am so depressed with the result I have not been able to bring myself around to watching the recording of the game. Really thought we would do it. This is a real body blow and I think Hyland will do very well to keep the team together and move onto the qualifiers with a new goal to make the quarter finals.

What do people think of Hyland staying on after this year? I think we owe him a great debt, a huge debt in fact for bringing us to where we are now from where we were. However, that said I think a new voice in charge may be required as the thing may be becoming stagnant and a few new ideas are needed. That said we would have to be very careful the right man is chosen. Peter Reilly perhaps? Certainly no way McHale should be put into a manager role. My preference would be a Cavan man anyway.

cavanmaniac

I'd go along with a lot of that Myles. I think for Hyland's project overall, Cavan really needed to topple Monaghan at the weekend and like yourself, I was confident we could do it. We were under the radar, at home, under no real pressure and against an opponent with which any inferiority, either actual or perceived, never translates to the field of play on a championship Sunday. It looked good for so long, and while I acknowledge and am grateful for what Hyland has contributed so far - and who knows what the qualifiers can bring - there are significant question marks now too:

1. It's simply unforgivable to revert to lateral football and keepball with 20 minutes to go against a seasoned opponent in an effort to play cute and see out the game. It just surrendered the initiative completely.
2. There was some headless and over exuberant tackling at times which will always exact a very heavy toll in a tight game, never mind one where we had our opponents genuinely gasping for air in attack at times. I think the referee was more willing to see Cavan fouls than Monaghan ones in the second half, however, but it shouldn't have been a deciding factor in the game from four up.
3. There was a similar headlessness in evidence with some wild passing attempts in to Argue, demoralising stuff, while some shot selection was also highly questionable, although allowances must be made for the wind in some of those instances.
4. In general the team's progress seems very slow and although it is still generally positive to a point, I do think these shortcomings in performance might well be down to the comfort that management - and by natural extension, the players - continually seek in the young team/inexperienced/building for the future/conveyor belt/five year plan stuff. Psychologically it offers a get-out clause in the back of the mind all the time. It's five years since we started making waves at underage and it really is time to start showing something more concrete.
5. Only if we unearth a forward of the class of McManus can we hope to prosper with the approach we appear to have cast in bronze at this stage.

Some of these opinions are offered in the gloom of disappointment at the result and who knows, it could prove a turning point and we might have a great year yet even if it looks like our approach will always cost us in big games. I'm not anti-Hyland or anything like that and I really do appreciate what he has given back to the team and county in general, I am just starting to wonder if the impetus of a new voice and modified thinking is required to re-calibrate and break what might turn into an eternal pattern of so-close-but-yet-so-far.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 25, 2015, 10:41:56 PM
Peter Reilly perhaps? Certainly no way McHale should be put into a manager role. My preference would be a Cavan man anyway.

Peter Reilly is more negative than Terry Hyland and should not be let near the Senior team.

Why would you not want McHale near it?

mylestheslasher

Take it from me, McHale is a trainer but he is not a manager. There is a big difference. I think most people in Ballina Stephenites would agree with that. If Terry is to stand down we need to be very careful. I'm also not sure I agree on Peter Reilly, he played the hand he was dealt. He did not have great forwards on any of his U21 teams which you can see by how many of them are playing senior with us now.