First round loss to Monaghan

Cavan Seniors 07
Ulster - First Round loss to Down
Qualifiers - First Round loss to Mayo

How many other counties would have him?

BallyhaiseMan

yep

not a recognised manager, as he didnt do the tactics or gameplan,

Not a recognised coach, as he didnt do the physical fitness training or ball work either.

i dont know lads.

possible replacements jaysus

Charlie Mulgrew for me.

cavanmaniac

Charlie Mulgrew is a decent shout I think, if Keogan goes. He was take-no-shit kinda guy in Fermanagh and fashioned a number of decent intercounty footballers from meagre enough resources. He might be just what we need if somebody at the top finally cottons on that we need to wipe the slate clean and start from fresh all over again, that's how rotten the thing has become.

We're in as dire a situation now as we were pre-McHugh, and a similar 'from-the-ground-up' type approach is needed. Don't hold your breath for the county board seeing it that way though, ten years of short-termism doesn't fill me with hope.

BallyhaiseMan

change of pace here lads( and ladies now with Killygarry girl looking in)

seen a good debate on Hoganstand about a Junior XI

and why Cavan dont have a junior team?

whats the criteria for Juniors? have to play in Junior clubs or never have played senior intercounty?are intermediate club players ruled out?  :(

There was me raising my hopes of actually getting to wear the famous Breffini Blue shirt in Breffini :D

also seen one of our resident posters was named in a Junior XI,congrats on that  ;)

anglocelt39

Well Grimleys actions say more than all the platitudinous shite he went on with all year about lads giving it their all, every bit as professional as the Armagh set up etc. I, personally, am getting sick of listening to that sort of ballocks being spouted by bought in names with big expense accounts and limited committment.

Where the hell that leaves us now is anybodys guess. There's not much faith in the bold Donal on this board at any rate. It's all very well saying go for a local man, we don't have anybody in the county that can point to a real history of achievement at a worthwhile level, sort of a first step in commanding respect and getting fellas to want to wear the jersey. I have a lot of respect for what Mulgrew achieved in Fermanagh, would he want the hassle of the Cavan post? The best team we have had since McHugh was probably Coleman (had the record and knew to local game) and McIlkennon (doing the job he was qualified for). So there may be options outside the county, but god knows that brings it's share of freeloaders as well.

Never a dull moment. What worries me about the latest upheaval is that the players who have singularly failed to do the business over the past few years will get yet another chance to prove their lack of committment and ability.,
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

CC1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 22, 2007, 06:56:36 PMalso seen one of our resident posters was named in a Junior XI,congrats on that  ;)
How did you find out BHM?! Should have been on the Senior 15 to be honest... ;)  ;D

Read that little discussion there alright, I definately think there should be a Cavan junior team and I think that point about Brian Farrell and Stephen Bray is definately a good one. There are some very talented players in the JFC, McCabe, Liam Og, Eamon O'Reilly (Shannon Gaels), McKiernan and others that have been mentioned already on this thread. Surely some of these lads should be given a chance to prove themselves on the intercounty stage, and if not senior intercounty, then junior intercounty. What is there to lose?

I'm not sure what the criteria is for junior intercounty but surely it would include players from intermediate that have never played in a senior championship or league game.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

maverick

Ballyhaise man. I just wanted to take you up on the quote below
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 22, 2007, 12:40:52 PM
Best of luck to Paul Grimley,cant blame him for going to work with players with a professional attitude afterall.

Who will Keoghan get as his assistant i wonder,

Im fairly sure he will stay though lads.

How do you know that the lads in the county at the moment dont have the same professional attitude as the armagh lads. They come down twice or 3 times a week along with weekends since november. I can gurantee you that they put in the exact same effort if not more. Just because we havent been successfull no need to knock a players commimtment. It takes alot of personal time to be a county footballer.

cavan4ever

Quote from: maverick on August 23, 2007, 11:39:06 AM
Best of luck to Paul Grimley,cant blame him for going to work with players with a professional attitude afterall.

How do you know that the lads in the county at the moment dont have the same professional attitude as the armagh lads. They come down twice or 3 times a week along with weekends since november. I can gurantee you that they put in the exact same effort if not more. Just because we havent been successfull no need to knock a players commimtment. It takes alot of personal time to be a county footballer.

All day drinking sessions is something i doubt the armagh players got up to when they were still in the championship and saturday nights leading up to games.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: maverick on August 23, 2007, 11:39:06 AM

as C4ever said

all day drinking sessions a couple of weeks before a championship game by a few major members of the team

a number of players being overweight and not fit enough for championship football

different players falling drunk around the town at weekends

Not exactly the highest degree of professionalism maverick.

Compare it to the Monaghan players enforced Drink ban and how seriously they took it.

we arent criticising the whole panel now,id say out of the 30, 23 /24 do put in the effort you say.
unfortunately having 6/7 of a panel messing around isnt good enough.

maverick

All you need is 15 players on the pitch. How do you know the same does not happen in Armagh?

cavanmaniac

Only an utter clown would argue that the attitude, professionalism and commitment of ALL the Cavan players is in any way on a par with what is widely recognised as one of the most obsessed, focused and self-disciplined bunch of players of the modern era - Armagh.

Most Cavan players are putting in the effort but there's quite a few who aren't and that's clearly obvious. Lorcan Mulvey, Larry Reilly and Jason Reilly were just three players carrying varying amounts of heavy timber this year and looking very unfit, can you name anyone on the Armagh team you could say the same about? Just look at their physiques for God's sake!

descartes

Quotemost Cavan players are putting in the effort but there's quite a few who aren't and that's clearly obvious. Lorcan Mulvey, Larry Reilly and Jason Reilly were just three players carrying varying amounts of heavy timber this year and looking very unfit, can you name anyone on the Armagh team you could say the same about? Just look at their physiques for God's sake!

Any of the o'rourkes??? ciaran McKeever, but in fairness can never be sure if he just has a chest like arnie or if he's carrying weight  ;D ;D ;D

interesting debate raging on, whisper it now, hoganstand.com/cavan about an intercounty junior team. little known fact out there is that cavans junior team was disbanded in 1969ish, the last year we won an ulster excluding 97 of course. a coincidence? methinks not. people always talk about no minor win since blah blah blah, but the lack of a junior team has been a far greater contributor to our bad run than the lack of a minor titles.

BH Man, cullivan has done his cruciate i believe? that fairly throws a spanner in your plans for the intermediate. think bailieborough are slowly gathering momentum, of course b'nagh and drumgoon seem favourites.

heres a few thoughts on the weekend...

think k'scourt are gonna scare the b'jasus out of mullahoran this weekend, and think the gaels are gonna limp past ramor by no more than 4 pts.

Gowna will struggle without pierson against chucullains, but reckon they'll still do it. think its an interesting weekend in cavan football this weekend, the big 3 are all going to have it tight enough.

wonder will keoghan be at any of the games or will he be spending his time shopping for a new back room team ??? ??? ???

Blue06

Interesting quotes from our chairman Phil Smith in the Celt this week.  He said Grimley was given an ultimatum in that if he wished to apply for the Armagh job he had to resign his Cavan position first and that even if he failed to secure the Armagh position he wouldn't be welcomed back.
What do ye make of that? Is it some sort of smokescreen to save face ?

He also said that the management committee(who\what are they?) will now be looking to replace him.  Surely if Donal is the manager he should be doing the recruiting.

I am getting a bit suspicious now and this leads me to believe that Donal is simply a County Board representative to keep an eye on
whats going on as years of wasted money on outsiders has caught up with us.

Maybe i am in cuckoo land but something doesn't add up.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: descartes on August 23, 2007, 10:04:06 PM
Quotemost Cavan players are putting in the effort but there's quite a few who aren't and that's clearly obvious. Lorcan Mulvey, Larry Reilly and Jason Reilly were just three players carrying varying amounts of heavy timber this year and looking very unfit, can you name anyone on the Armagh team you could say the same about? Just look at their physiques for God's sake!

Any of the o'rourkes??? ciaran McKeever, but in fairness can never be sure if he just has a chest like arnie or if he's carrying weight  ;D ;D ;D

I wouldn't confuse physical size with lack of fitness. Those guys train to be big so they might not look sleek but they'd leave alot of our boys puking over a hedge if it came down to a training session I'd wager...

Blue06...it certainly sounds like Keogan is emasculated there. Let's just sit tight and see how it plays out. I like what I've hard from this Phil Smith so far, a vocal chairman offering leadership?

cavan4ever

Yeah Phil Smith was definalty right in the way he handled Grimley.  If Keoghan is only there as a County Board representative and letting on he is manager nobody any addition will  want to be assistant manager.  Well i wouldn't think anyone who has managed inter-county teams before would go for it .