Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

descartes

BHman, the Peter Monaghan conundrum... where do you play him? is he good enough for full forward? i reckon you put an intercounty fullback/corner back on him and he'll struggle. He plays midfield with his club from time to time but could he do it for the county? another 6 foot midfielder is all this county needs! ::) my recollection of him was he was a little on the lazy side, so that would rule him out of playing in the half forward line these days.

Paddy Brady from gowna needs to be brought back into the panel and worked on so he can get in top class shape again. he hasn't been fit since he was playing with sligo IT  a few years ago, shortly after they won the sigerson he screwed up his ankle, hobbled through an u21 championship with cavan and has suffered one niggling injury after another ever since.

Agree that Colm Hannon and Michael McDonald from drumgoon should be looked at. McDonald IMO has enormous potential, Hannon is a big strong intelligent player and performed very well under Kerrigan... why was he discarded? and why was gavin dufy discarded too, i think he suffered from living in gaynors shadow even if by the time he got his chance gaynor wasn't actually playing well for cavan, or was but in a sporadic fashion? there should be a core of talented players in the county in the age bracket of 23-27 that we should be looking at. we were in two Ulster U21 finals in 4 years (2002 and 2005) these players should be coming to the fore now. were it not for the foot and mouth in 2002 and lyngs injury in 2005 we would have won those titles. well the talent is there... Andrews proved that by cobbling together a motley crew, which kerrigan more or less kept ticking over to reach a National league division 1 final.

gortnaleck

Ballyhaise Man  The San Francisco Sean Mc Cormack is a ful foward (13 aside)and the free taker so he'll probably want to be assigned different duties when he goes back

Homer

Lads my apologies but I wrongly informed you all that Gaynor had got off scot free.

Found out over the weekend that it was all just a big tale that gathered some steam.

Anyway turns out Gaynor lost his appeal during the week and was given a four week suspension and next game in competition.

Ooops  :-X

Blue06

Regarding Div 2 Nation League next year.

I think the promotion/relegation works like this. 

Promotion
2 go up automatically with 3rd place playing 3rd from bottom in Div1 in a play off  for the final Div 1 spot.

Relegation

Bottom 2 go down with 3rd from bottom playing 3rd from top in Div 3 in a play off for a Div 2 spot.

This will probably mean everyone playing for something right up to the last round.

CC1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 16, 2007, 08:47:20 PM
Junior
Shercock-Liam Og Reily (CC1 ;) )
Ah now he doesn't have my good looks in fairness BHM! ;)

I have to say though, he is an absolutely quality player and any player with any calibre that has come up against him has struggled to have any effect on the game (John McCabe, Keith Fannin, Larry Reilly, Darragh Gaffney etc. etc.). Our best player since Kenny Burns. He's being played at full forward with our injury problems up there for the last few matches and has scored some vital scores including the winning goal against Killeshandra.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

gortnaleck

CC1   Is Liam Og a son of Packy's

CC1

Quote from: gortnaleck on August 21, 2007, 04:05:41 AM
Son of Plunkett O'Reilly gortnaleck, Mickey Reilly is a son of Packy (I think... There's three of them!). They're related I think. Tom O'Reilly would be their uncle, if any of you remember him from his Cavan days.

Homer

Quote from: CC1 on August 21, 2007, 07:56:44 AM
Son of Plunkett O'Reilly gortnaleck, Mickey Reilly is a son of Packy (I think... There's three of them!). They're related I think. Tom O'Reilly would be their uncle, if any of you remember him from his Cavan days.

There were two Tom O'Reillys in the 1930s. Big Tom and Tom O'Reilly Mullahoran. Which one do you refer to?

Also I doubt theres anybody on this board that would have seen either of them playing.

CC1

Quote from: Homer on August 21, 2007, 08:55:37 AM
Quote from: CC1 on August 21, 2007, 07:56:44 AM

There were two Tom O'Reillys in the 1930s. Big Tom and Tom O'Reilly Mullahoran. Which one do you refer to?

Also I doubt theres anybody on this board that would have seen either of them playing.
Tom O'Reilly from Shercock, he played for Cavan too and was quite a good player at that.

Homer

Quote from: CC1 on August 21, 2007, 09:25:16 AM
Tom O'Reilly from Shercock, he played for Cavan too and was quite a good player at that.

Was thinking there had to be another one, tried googling it and all but theres feck all out there.

Hadn't much to do yesterday and with this board down I ended up spending half the day reading the Cavan GAA thread on the old board.

Seem to have lost a few good posters since;

Give it Long, had some great stuff, must have got lost in the transition.

Rossi was here for a while but seems to have gone missing too.

cavan4ever

The board has gone quiet lately the club championships are at the quarter final stage and there is no talk of them atall.   

So Homer do u think you will finally win intermediate this year?

Homer

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 21, 2007, 09:56:11 AM

Hmmm, we seem to be improving slightly so maybe coming good at the right time cavan4ever.

We're playing Cootehill in the park on Friday night. Anytime we have played them in the past its been fairly physical so we mightn't be too bad off having Gaynor in the stand. They have a few decent players in McCutcheon and young Smith. The big pitch will presumably suit Ballinagh more as I fell we will be fitter. Head on the line, Ballinagh by 5.

Personally I have to say Drumgoon are the team to beat this year.

What happened to Drung against Swad cavan4ever?

What does the HaiseMan think about their own aspirations?

mylestheslasher

I see Castlerahan got knocked out by Cuchculains in the championship. What is the story with Castlerahan, they looked to be a promising team coming through but seem to have gone backward this year.

Still can't see anyone but the Gaels winning the Senior championship.

Intermediate is looking like a tough one to call. Ballinagh were my pick earlier and I won't change my mind but I see Swad are coming strong now at the right time. Wouldn't rule out Ballyhaise either.

Junior. For me it is one from Shercock, Killeshandra or Cornafaen.

I Copied this report on the Buncrana Cup from Hoganstand in case any of you didn't see it....

From Donegal News - Buncrana Cup Final (U16)
Donegal.......2-13

Cavan.........1-16

after extra time

REPORT BY CHRIS MCNULTY

DONEGAL and Cavan must do it all over again to determine the destination of the 2007 Buncrana Cup after an action-packed final finished all square at The Scarvey, Buncrana on Saturday afternoon last.

A dramatic soccer style goal from Cormac Coughlin three minutes from the end ensured that Donegal get another crack at the whip after they looked to be dead and buried when Darren Smith goaled for Cavan less than a minute earlier.

On eleven separate occasions in this keenly contested affair, the sides were level and they must meet again with St Eunan's man Coughlan having the final say when he fired past Sean Briody.

The ball broke to Coughlan and he showed fine soccer skills to dribble away from his man and powerfully blast beyond the reach of the 'keeper. Mere moments earlier, Darren Smith struck a hammer blow at the other end when he punished slack defending from the Donegal side to find the back of the Tir Chonaill net and give his men a 1-16 to 1-13 lead.

Cavan were dealt a blow when they were reduced to 14men and indeed the travelling contingent from the Breffni County was none too pleased with the referee in the minutes that followed the conclusion of this game.

There was some confusion at the end too when officials seemed unclear if there would be a second period of extra time played or whether the game would go to a replay with information first being relayed that another period of two five-minute spells would be played.

Donegal boss Des Newton was missing the services of the likes of Fiacra McGinley,Mark Dowds, Dara Grant and Jonathan Ward for Saturday's final and in the opening couple of minutes it was Cavan who asserted their worth with two Barry Reilly points giving them an early cushion.

The big midfielder turned in a magnificent display at centrefield and was a constant thorn in the Donegal side, kicking an impressive tally of nine points, six of which came from frees.

Eight minutes in, after Raymond McLaughlin opened their account, Donegal went into the driving seat when they burst through for the game's opening goal. Raymond McLaughlin did the spade work and it was his pass that released Dermot Molloy.

Naomh Conaill clubman Molloy took his pass and he beat a couple of Cavan defenders before driving a powerful shot beyond the reach of the helpless Sean Briody.

The visitors came back though and the next three scores were to the Breffni boys with a Barry Reilly point from play being followed by two well-taken points from his midfield partner Packie Leddy.

Michael McEniff, Owen Ward and Raymond McLaughlin were all on target then for Donegal with Kevin Tierney and Barry Reilly finding the range at the other end to leave the sides tied at 1-4 to 0-7 as the first half neared a finish.

Cavan looked as if they would have the upper hand at the interval when substitute Sean Nolan took a pass from Christy Shiels who had broke through the shackles of the Donegal defence and he popped over from close range.

But, the sides were deadlocked for the changeover when Gaoth Dobhair's Owen Ward clipped over at the other end after concluding a good move forward by the Donegal boys.

One felt that the corner forward's effort could perhaps have gone under, rather than over, the crossbar, but his effort ensured that the participants went in tied 1-5 to 0-8 after the first instalment.

Raymond Lynch and a free from Reilly gave Cavan a two-point lead at the start of the second half again, but three scores in as many minutes, two from Raymond McLaughlin and one from Dermot Molloy, had Donegal back in front.

Entering the final two minutes, after three scores in a row from the deadly Reilly, Donegal trailed by two, but they took the game to the extra period with Owen Ward and Raymond McLaughlin sending over well-executed points.

Into the extra time and Cavan were once again the quickest to settle and they had Reilly and substitute Dara Seagrave made it a two-point game again with two early frees, but at the changeover there was just a point to separate them, Owen Ward the Donegal point scorer.

Gaoth Dobhair native Ward had Donegal level again two minutes into the second half of extra time when he converted a free before Killian Brady came to the rescue of Cavan 'keeper Briody who spilled a long punt into the mixer from Molloy.

The two goals in the space of a minute then had collective hearts in mouths around The Scarvey and they proved to be the final acts of what was an entertaining final, played in wintery conditions.

Part two promises to be just as interesting.

Donegal: Ashley Mulhern; Johnny Harkin, Peter Devine, Stephen Doak; Thomas McKinley, Sean Kennedy, Cathal Ellis; Peter McGonigle, Stephen McCahill; Michael McEniff (0-1), Cori Gallagher, Dermot Molloy (1-2, 1 '45'); Jamie Doherty, Raymond McLaughlin (0-5, 1f), Owen Ward (0-5, 1f). Subs: Cormac Coughlan (for McGonigle, h/t, 1-0); David Dolan (for Doherty, 56mins); Sean Kennedy (for McCahill, 79mins).

Cavan: Sean Briody; Thomas Rodgers, Killian Brady, Fergal Blessing; Darragh Brady, Conor Tierney, Michael Brady; Barry Reilly (0-9, 6f), Packie Leddy (0-2); Christy Shiels (0-1), Kevin Tierney (0-1), Shane Reilly; Patrick Rudden, Raymond Lynch (0-1), Patrick King. Subs: Sean Nolan (for King, 21mins, 0-1); Dara Seagrave (for Tierney, 60mins, 0-1, 1f); Darren Smith (for S.Reilly, 1-0).

Referee: Fergal Daly (Tyrone).

cavan4ever

Quote from: Homer on August 21, 2007, 10:36:46 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on August 21, 2007, 09:56:11 AM

Hmmm, we seem to be improving slightly so maybe coming good at the right time cavan4ever.

We're playing Cootehill in the park on Friday night. Anytime we have played them in the past its been fairly physical so we mightn't be too bad off having Gaynor in the stand. They have a few decent players in McCutcheon and young Smith. The big pitch will presumably suit Ballinagh more as I fell we will be fitter. Head on the line, Ballinagh by 5.

Personally I have to say Drumgoon are the team to beat this year.

What happened to Drung against Swad cavan4ever?

i was away so didn't see the game. i've been told that the best team one.  Drung have had problems with players away on holidays for all the champiosnhip games but the biggest problem in my opnion seems to be lack of interest and management with no tactical cop on.   I think Drumgoon will win it handy enough.

cavanmaniac

When is the replay of that U16 match? Has Mickey Graham and Co. not been given the county minor management gig yet?