Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Team to play Laois.

Conor Gilsenan (Bailieboro), Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Dara McVeety (Crosserlough), Fergal Flanagan (Butlersbridge), Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet), Killian Brady (Mullahoran), Killian Clarke (Shercock), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Michéal Lyng (Cavan Gaels), Mark McKeever (Gowna), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Old yeller

Quote from: beer baron on February 06, 2015, 03:29:34 PM
I edited that for ya Rodney.

Dick Clerkin on why he hates Cavan http://t.co/Fh3eRLvxjB

He always played like a bull in a China Shop.

;D

I'd love to have a 20 year old Dick Clerkin on the Cavan panel.

Westside

A very assured display from Cavan tonight and a great 2 points on the road. Paul Smith replaced Lyng (and played very well) other than that we lined out with the 15 from last week. Got off to the worst possible start, Gilly came off his line for a ball into the square that Kingston and Dunne were contesting, Kingston got the flick and into the net. We took almost complete control from then on, pushed well ahead Damien Reilly and McDermott kicking a few wonderful scores.

We made it very hard for Laois to get their game going from the kickouts, pushed up on their players and we were were well on top in midfield when they went long. Paul Smith missed a golden opportunity for a goal. Then Laois cut us open with an incisive move and Kingston held off Dunne and kicked a lovely goal into the top corner from a tight angle, Gilly caught slightly in no man's land. Kingston was a threat throughout and gave Rory a bit of a roasting it has to be said, he was taken off midway through the second half. The referee was woeful in the first half, I think it was 5 times he blew for overcarrying by Cavan players when there wasn't even a suggestion of overcarrying. He seemed to cop onto himself a bit in the second half.

Barry Reilly came on for McKeever at half time, McKeever hadn't been playing great, few wayward passes and one that led straight to a Laois score. Laois crept ahead and we looked lost for the first 10 minutes or so of the second half but McEnroe came on for Dunne and was immense at midfield. We completely dominated the middle third for the last 25 minutes of the game, Laois couldn't get a hold of the ball at all. Killian Brady was outstanding, brings real physicality and doggedness. McVeety and McLoughlin were also very good throughout and caused lots of problems raiding forward. McVeety in particular won lots of ball that he had no right to win and McLoughlin dived on a loose ball near the very end as a Laois player pulled on it, putting his head where you wouldn't put a shovel.

Martin Reilly had a good first half got on a lot of ball, he was moved inside for the second half but didn't see much possession. Dunne was extremely poor, Barry Reilly gave two or three lovely long passes into him and he was beaten for every one. A couple of nice touches and a good free but other than that he contributed very little, Jack came on for him and won the two balls that went into him in the final few minutes. Gearoid was fairly quiet and Laois were well prepared for him raiding forward. Killian Clarke blew hot and cold throughout but overall did well and is staking his claim to that midfield spot. Gearoid seems to have completely lost any interest in fielding and attempts to break every ball, I suppose you can't complain when we're dominating that sector of the field.

Overall it was a slick and mostly assured performance from the lads. The approach is obviously a lot more offensive than we've seen in the last couple of years. A lot of good performances from McVeety, McLoughlin, Feargal Flanagan, DJ, Paul Smith with Killian the Gunner man of the match for me and a special mention for McEnroe who gave us the platform for our dominance in the last third of the game. Inside forward line is still a worry and when you see the advantage of having a target man like Kingston inside it would make you want Keating back in the fold. Laois actually looked a lot more physically imposing than us but we still had more cut and desire than them. Still a good way to go before being safe and Laois were poor enough but 3 points from the first two games isn't half bad.

mylestheslasher

Agree with that Westside. Although we won comfortably and put together 2 seperate dominate periods in the game we were really another 6 points better than Laois and kept them in the game with some poor shooting and some poor play in the last quarter of the field. This result was achieved again with a disfunctional full forward line. Martin Dunne haardly touched the ball the entire match and McDermott lost a number of balls he should have held onto and got blocked down. McDermott seemed to lose confidence as  the game went on and started passing to guys in worse positions to shoot than he was. Niall is a very good player, he needs to move on and get his mojo back and start taking responsibility. Dunne is hard to know what to do with. He scored one tremendous free and he will score if the ball is in his hands but he is very weak, doesnt have any power. In one instance yesterday he was 4 yards ahead of the FB running out for a ball and the full back went past him like a bullet, won the ball clean and tore up the field.

Two shitty goals nearly cost us. The first poor calling from Gilsenan and Dunne left a simple flick to the net. The second was like the goal we conceded to Roscommon in Croke park last year. For me it was a fluke, no one tries to chip a keep with the instep. Looked like an attempt for a point that squeezed in the top corner. Gilsenan was poorly positioned.  He also had a couple of very poor quick kicks. Not sure about Gilsenan to be honest.

We won this game in midfield in the 2nd half. I thought Killian Clarke was brilliant in the 2nd half yet again. McEnroe and to a lesser extent barry Reilly put some intelligence into Cavans play. They play the game at their own pace, generally move the ball forwards at the right time. McEnroe in particular ate his man when he came on, got two beauties of points and just owned the game. The Gunner had his best game for Cavan. He gave his man such a abuse  that I think in the end he was just letting him have the ball. One turn over in the 2nd half had the crowd on his feet, when gunner just kept ploughing into his man till he dropped the ball on the ground. Poor old Gunner nearly lasted the the whole game too with getting sent off or taken off, but alas he got a black card with 2 seconds left!!

All in all a great result and a great start to the league. We can play Down with confidence and I believe we can beat them and if we do promotion is a real prospect although it is safety first.

rodney trotter

Great win and it's clear that Cavan are playing more direct football with Liam McHale involved.

I don't think Givney is that much of  a loss (he wasn't playing well anyway), Killian Clarke a more then able replacement at midfield. Argue could be tried in the FF line after the 3 week break, good option to have in there.

Old yeller

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 08, 2015, 11:24:32 AM
Great win and it's clear that Cavan are playing more direct football with Liam McHale involved.

I don't think Givney is that much of  a loss (he wasn't playing well anyway), Killian Clarke a more then able replacement at midfield. Argue could be tried in the FF line after the 3 week break, good option to have in there.
+1
We need to try something different in the full forward line

comeysfield

Read the Clerkin piece and you just have to love him. He will have no problem getting himself up for Breffni in the Summer.  As for Laois on Saturday evening went down for the trip. Cavan were impressive but Laois were absolutely dreadful with a full forward we could be a force, we need to find somebody in there. Niall especially second half came way too deep but that is the role he is being asked to play. The Gunner was a real Gunner and MOM in my opinion. Three points leave us in a nice position and if we can get a win at home in the next game will place us in a good position to retain div 2 and then maybe look up the table

Itchy

Quote from: comeysfield on February 08, 2015, 07:48:39 PM
Read the Clerkin piece and you just have to love him. He will have no problem getting himself up for Breffni in the Summer.  As for Laois on Saturday evening went down for the trip. Cavan were impressive but Laois were absolutely dreadful with a full forward we could be a force, we need to find somebody in there. Niall especially second half came way too deep but that is the role he is being asked to play. The Gunner was a real Gunner and MOM in my opinion. Three points leave us in a nice position and if we can get a win at home in the next game will place us in a good position to retain div 2 and then maybe look up the table

McDermott was deep in the 2nd because he was switched with Martin Reilly who went full forward.

Westside

Was that tactical or was Martin Reilly carrying an injury? He was playing well in the first half I thought.

Out of the games that are left, Down and Westmeath at home are the ones I think we are very capable of winning. It's always nip and tuck with both sides but no reason we can't beat them in Breffni. I think Kildare will come good yet, we struggled with Laois's physicality last night and Kildare will bring that and more to Breffni. Galway away will also be tough, good footballing side and seem to be racking up big scores.

mrdeeds

Hopefully Corofin beat Vincents so they be missing Cavan game.

rodney trotter

Remaining League fixtures

Round 3 (28 February/1 March): Cavan v Down, Galway v Laois, Kildare v Westmeath, Roscommon v Meath
Round 4 (7/8 March): Cavan v Kildare, Down v Galway, Laois v Roscommon, Meath v Westmeath
Round 5 (14/15 March): Galway v Cavan, Kildare v Roscommon, Meath v Laois, Westmeath v Down
Round 6 (28/29 March): Cavan v Westmeath, Down v Meath, Laois v Kildare, Roscommon v Galway
Round 7 (5 April): Down v Laois, Galway v Kildare, Meath v Cavan, Westmeath v Roscommon

Tough but winnable games, Kildare have  a few injuries at present, and a few others to come back in like Emmet Bolton, and Daniel Flynn, which will strenghten  them

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 08, 2015, 08:06:56 PM
Was that tactical or was Martin Reilly carrying an injury? He was playing well in the first half I thought.

Out of the games that are left, Down and Westmeath at home are the ones I think we are very capable of winning. It's always nip and tuck with both sides but no reason we can't beat them in Breffni. I think Kildare will come good yet, we struggled with Laois's physicality last night and Kildare will bring that and more to Breffni. Galway away will also be tough, good footballing side and seem to be racking up big scores.

I think it was tactical, just to try get McDermott on the ball and also to see could Martin win some ball inside. I didn't see any injury anyway, Martin was running hard for the time he was in the full forward line

rodney trotter

McDermott played a Sigerson game mid week, so Reilly would have been fresher to make runs inside in the FF line, and probaly winning it better.

rodney trotter

Moynagh playing well with DCU, set up a goal in the clip http://t.co/a81yEw862F

Itchy

St pats into mcrory semi, hammered eunans by 14 points today.