Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 29, 2015, 03:55:06 PM
The Celt's take on the McKiernan saga.

www.anglocelt.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2015/01/28/4035347-opinion-oneills-comments-have-hung-mckiernan-out-to-dry/

Hung out to dry?

I don't think that anybody has been hung out to dry.

It probably has kept it in the news a little longer than it should.

What you thing Denn man?

BallyhaiseMan

Hung out to dry my hole. Gearoid is dead lucky the rules only allowed for a 2 match ban.
Personally i think racist/sectarian abuse should added into thiscategory of offences:
"Category IV offences relate to a minor physical interference (e.g. laying a hand on, pushing, pulling or jostling) with a referee, umpire, linesman or sideline official, or aiming threatening language at a match official. They get you a 12-week ban, or 24 if you have some previous".

Anyway its good that he apologised to Wylie and Wylie accepted it and we can all move on.

rodney trotter

He was obviously going to apologize,  it was a reckless and needless tackle by Wylie on Martin Reilly that started it off, McKiernan shouldn't have said what he said though.

They should let McKiernan move and not drag it out anymore.

Westside

His comment that they had a rule in place and now they know the rule isn't adequate is certainly a strange one. The punishment needs to be adequate and proportionate to the crime, they had the crime in mind when they set out this punishment, so is McKiernan to blame that they were incompetent rulemakers? It's equally as puzzling saying that someone should be forced to attend a racial awareness course. These are amateur players. I'm not condoning what McKiernan did and he has that side to him unfortunately. But the rush to come out of this looking good had drawn some extremely stupid statements from the president.

Old yeller

He was hung out to dry a bit I think. Did they print the names of the lads who abused Cunningham from Crossmaglen or Lee Chin from Wexford? I don't remember the president of the GAA making any comment on it in the papers. I don't condone that type of stuff, its not on. But he shouldn't be villified. He made a mistake in the heat of the moment. He apologised straight away and it was accepted. He took his punishment without a word of complaint, move on.

Old yeller

Quote from: Westside on January 29, 2015, 06:10:27 PM
His comment that they had a rule in place and now they know the rule isn't adequate is certainly a strange one. The punishment needs to be adequate and proportionate to the crime, they had the crime in mind when they set out this punishment, so is McKiernan to blame that they were incompetent rulemakers? It's equally as puzzling saying that someone should be forced to attend a racial awareness course. These are amateur players. I'm not condoning what McKiernan did and he has that side to him unfortunately. But the rush to come out of this looking good had drawn some extremely stupid statements from the president.
Its P.C bullshit. You have to be seen as being whiter than white all the time. He could easily have came out and said something like "he's a young lad who made a mistake. He has accepted that it was totally wrong and hopefully he wil learn from this experience. That sort of behaviour has no place in our games" etc.
What would be wrong with that? The associations position on it would've been made perfectly clear while accepting that McKiernan shouldnt be lynched for it.

mylestheslasher

Gearoid did wrong in the heat of the moment. He was punished by a new law and served his punishment. What this has to do with the president of the organisation I don't know. Hes actually making a bigger idiot out of himself more than anything. However, by going on about it and making apologies on behalf of the GAA he is making Gearoid look to some super offender that the law was not good enough for while the reality is that Gearoid apologised and presumably everyone has moved on.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that Gearoid should have decked Wylie with an upper cut or told him his mother was a slag. Unlikely that Liam O Neill would feel the need to comment on the matter then.

Denn Forever

Quote from: tommysmith on January 29, 2015, 04:29:43 PM

www.anglocelt.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2015/01/28/4035347-opinion-oneills-comments-have-hung-mckiernan-out-to-dry/

Hung out to dry?

What you thing Denn man?

I think BHM and Myles has said it all.  I was expecting longer and would not quibble if he'd got longer. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 30, 2015, 01:01:05 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on January 29, 2015, 04:29:43 PM

Hung out to dry?

What you thing Denn man?

I think BHM and Myles has said it all.  I was expecting longer and would not quibble if he'd got longer.

But it was not possible to get a longer suspension the rules only allow for 2 games.

I think for cases like this and racism it shouldn't be a game ban it should be 48 weeks.

rodney trotter

If it was going to be 48 weeks, then they should get rid of all verbals, shouting about a mother or sister is a bad as someones religion or colour.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 30, 2015, 01:16:39 PM
If it was going to be 48 weeks, then they should get rid of all verbals, shouting about a mother or sister is a bad as someones religion or colour.

Ryan McMenamin from Tyrone would never have played a game if that rule was in place. There will always be verbal abuse in sport between players. 48 weeks is a bit much but if I were to make a rule on it 2-4 games ban would seem fair enough to me. Look at it in the context of other bans. What do you get for punching someone in the face?

rodney trotter

Agree there will always be verbals,  and 48 weeks would be extreme
Racism and Secterian abuse are bigger issues and they be punished - they should look at all verbals instead of a few

five points

Quote from: tommysmith on January 30, 2015, 01:11:44 PM
But it was not possible to get a longer suspension the rules only allow for 2 games.

Not true. 2 games suspension is a minimum penalty. They could have thrown the book at him, but they didn't.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on January 30, 2015, 06:11:12 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on January 30, 2015, 01:11:44 PM

Not true. 2 games suspension is a minimum penalty. They could have thrown the book at him, but they didn't.

On what grounds? No previous and apologised after the game. Her talking shite

mrdeeds

Cavan team announced. Think Paul Smith can feel hard done by. Stong team though. Looks good on paper.