Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

The legs tired on a number of players in the second half, 8 of the team started 3 games in a week, while Tyrone could make 13 changss from the Armagh game and 12 prior to that from the Antrim game.

Killian Clarke, McKeever, McDermott showed well in the first half but were tired in the second half on heavy ground.

Argue, Mackey, McEnroe, among others, will strengten the team when fully fit

Westside

Tyrone just a couple of levels above us. What disappointed me most was the lack of leadership. A few points down with 15 minutes to go and the lads panic and try to work goals, Dunne gets the ball 13 yards out and tries a watery shot for a goal easily blocked. The few lads coming back will help but staying up will be tough. Free taking also a huge issue. Martin Reilly is non consistent enough.

tommysmith

What you have a lad afraid to kick a 35m free and another missing 3-4 from not impossible distances you will be found out. Good free taker will get you into positions to win a game.

rodney trotter

When you play 3 tough games in a week it's going to have an effect,lack of leadership in the last 15 minutes was probaly because the likes of McKeever , Killian Clarke were out on their feet. Tyrone had the luxury of resting players, 13 changes, and bringing on Donnelly, Harte, at half time.

mylestheslasher

Without a doubt we tired in the 2nd half but there is a glaring problem in the FF line. Dunne will not win his own ball under pressure. Niall McDermott is better but he still tends to fumble ball and lose ball that he is favourite to win. I think we have are just unfortunate we dont have a natural strong ball winner in the FF line. Terry is going to have to try someone in there. What about Mark McKeever - I recall he played in the FF line as an U21 a long time ago and was pretty decent at winning ball. Argue maybe? Apart from that I think we have a solid enough outfit. Smith impressed in the tackly at Ctr back and Moynagh is a natural Ctr back. Dunne is going very well at FB. OUr midfield duo of Clarke and McKiernan look like an ideal partnership, Clarke especially looks to have bulked up a bit. We are less blessed with forwards but I think Martin Reilly can be a key man for us. We have a really tough opener against Roscommon in fortress Kiltoom. To get anything from that game would be a great start but I have a sneaking suspicion we may just get something as Ros are likely to be over confident following their FBD win and their wins against us last year in the league final and qualifiers. Cavan could sneak a win.

mrdeeds

Myles you mean Paul Smith at centre back?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 27, 2015, 10:35:06 AM
Myles you mean Paul Smith at centre back?

I did indeed, I corrected it there. Thanks.

Old yeller

I was very impressed with Paul Smith, thought he did well. I agree that we need a ball winner in the FF line, Keating and Givney big misses there. I would stick argue in there

rodney trotter

Roscommon have the Hastings Cup final on Saturday, a few players like Enda Smith, Diarmuid Murtagh likely to be playing in it.
They will still be strong either way if they rest them on Sunday.

Old yeller

A win against Roscommon would be an owjus start, I think we can do it if we play the type of football we played in the first half against Tyrone. There isnt that much between the twl sides, firepower is probably the main advantage they have over us

Itchy

I think we have a better midfield and probably better backs but with the better forwards Ros have to be favourite. I doubt Martin Dunne is fit for a whole match either.

mrdeeds

I agree with Paul Smith being impressive. It's pity we couldn't get a find like him in the full forward line.

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 27, 2015, 02:00:22 PM
Roscommon have the Hastings Cup final on Saturday, a few players like Enda Smith, Diarmuid Murtagh likely to be playing in it.
They will still be strong either way if they rest them on Sunday.

I would imagine Roscommon will see Cavan at home as a vital game and will field their team accordingly, I expect Smith and Murtagh to play on Sunday.

Unfortunately I think they will have too much for us in Kiltoom. They have a much, much better front 6 than we do.

rodney trotter

It depends whatever way the Roscommon U21 and Senior management agree on. Silverware there to be won for the U21 team ahead of the Championship, so I'm sure they would like that too. I would expect to see them used as impact subs on Sunday, but we'll see.

They have lots of others forwards at Senior, Donie Smith, Senan Kilbride, Cathal Cregg, Ciaran Murtagh.

Shine still injured.

Denn Forever

The Celt's take on the McKiernan saga.

www.anglocelt.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2015/01/28/4035347-opinion-oneills-comments-have-hung-mckiernan-out-to-dry/

Hung out to dry?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...