Crosserlough-Declan Gaffney,Declan McCabe

Castlerahan-John Clarke,Pauric Smith

Drumalee-Darragh Gaffney,Gary Fernacombe

Lacken-Terry Hyland and Raymond Galligan

Belturbet-Rory Donohoe

Kingscourt-Darragh Gunne,Alan Clarke,Joe McMahon,Ryan McCormack,Thomas Wakely

Cuchulains-Seamus Clarke

Killygarry-Eoin Smith,Pauric Cahill,Thomas Leonard

Denn-Thomas Corr(deserves a better shot than 10 minutes in a McKenna Cup game)

BallyhaiseMan

Intermediate

Drumgoon-Michael McDonald,Colm Hannon

Ballinagh-Podge,Gaynor,Cian McDermott

Baileborough-Neil Donnellan

Drung-Michael McEntee(worth a shot at cornerback)

Drumlane-Barry Corrigan

Swanlinbar-Michael Curran(midfield or full back) Mark Cunningham

Ballymachugh-James Kiernan

Lavey-Joey Jordan,Kevin Brady,Sean Maguire

Cootehill-John McCutcheon,

Ballyhaise-Barry Kelly,Fergal Slowey

BallyhaiseMan

Junior

Arva-Dermot McGlade

Shercock-Liam Og Reily (CC1 ;) )

Munnterconnacht-John McCabe

Killdallon-Aaron Duignan

Mountnugent-Thomas Brady

Killeshandra-Declan McKiernan

Handball Ace

Ballyhaise, what you have just done is complie of list of decent club players. A lot of them don't even stand out for thier clubs very often.

How can you possibly mention the likes of Aaron Duignan, Thomas Brady, Sean Maguire, Fergal slowey, Gavin Duffy, Niall Collins, John McCabe, Terry Hyland, Raymond Galligan, Ryan McCormack, Thomas Leonard, Seamus Clarke or Padraig Cahill as potential county seniors??

Most of these lads are average club players, and almost all of them have played either minor or Under 21 for Cavan in the recent past and not stood out. How could they compete in the Ulster SFC then?

You list Declan McKiernan there - come on, he barely got a kick for the minors against a shite Down team who were knocked out next time out. No way would he be anywhere near county senior standard in my opinion.

A few of thse lads could be worth a shout ofr size and strength eg Declan Gaffney, Michael McDonald but that's the pick of it.

You have Barry Corrigan, he's nearly 30!

The reality is that the best 30 players in the county, give or take a Gaynor here or an Eddie Reilly there, are on the panel.

cavanmaniac

Well you should remember too Handball Ace, as Homer says earlier, Gaynor was not even a standout club player at underage or senior level for Ballinagh before getting pitched in against Down in the senior replay some years ago, and he was a revelation. A few years ago, Thomas Prior was unheralded and did a workmanlike job at number 3 for us - he was actually a fairly good defender in many respects but was crippled by a lack of strength under a high ball. Barry McCrudden was another came in and did a job for a spell, others like James Doonan and Karl Crotty also. All's I'm saying is: you just never know who'll sink and who'll swim when they're turfed into the waters.

I doubt BH man reckons all these guys are county material but if they were all given a go and we unearthed even two prospects out of the thirty tried, it'd leave us two players better off than we are at the minute. It can't hurt to try.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Handball Ace on August 16, 2007, 11:24:28 PM
Ballyhaise, what you have just done is complie of list of decent club players. A lot of them don't even stand out for thier clubs very often.

How can you possibly mention the likes of Aaron Duignan, Thomas Brady, Sean Maguire, Fergal slowey, Gavin Duffy, Niall Collins, John McCabe, Terry Hyland, Raymond Galligan, Ryan McCormack, Thomas Leonard, Seamus Clarke or Padraig Cahill as potential county seniors??

Most of these lads are average club players, and almost all of them have played either minor or Under 21 for Cavan in the recent past and not stood out. How could they compete in the Ulster SFC then?

You list Declan McKiernan there - come on, he barely got a kick for the minors against a shite Down team who were knocked out next time out. No way would he be anywhere near county senior standard in my opinion.

A few of thse lads could be worth a shout ofr size and strength eg Declan Gaffney, Michael McDonald but that's the pick of it.

You have Barry Corrigan, he's nearly 30!

The reality is that the best 30 players in the county, give or take a Gaynor here or an Eddie Reilly there, are on the panel.

I guaruntee you Declan mcKiernan will be on the county senior panel in time. He is still a minor and probably played the worst game of his life against Down. He was Cavans main man in any other minor match this year. I would also expect Thomais Reilly, his club mate, to make it too. They are only young lads so will need time.

anglocelt39

Handball Ace, are you not being a bit over critical of the Haise Mans efforts. From that lot we only need 3/4 to make some difference. Any proposals yourself? While we're on the topic of "club footbalers" it might be worth recapping on a few club standard players from the mid 90's-Philip Kermath, Ciaran Brady, Pat Sheils, Philip Smith, Ray Cunningham. These guys ended up having a crack at getting through to an All Ireland Final because they had a boss who had a game plan and a specific job for them to do within that plan. It also helped that McHugh was willing to trawl the county in search of players rather than taking the lazy route of going for fellas that played county minor (usually with limited enough success). Anthony Forde was unheard of until McHugh got a call from Athlone IT about his Sigerson Cup efforts. The story goes that once Marty heard where Forde hailed from he could work out how he had not been picked up through underage structures. Did Jason Reilly play at county minor level, don't think so.

We  now seem to have slipped back into the lazy system of Manning Cup Winner/Ulster Minor Loser=county panellist in fullness of time. This Aussie Rules thing seems to be another curse. From reading the posts of some others on this board it seems that Stevie Wonder has spotted that one or two of those lads are not inter county standard, yet we persist. Lets throw in Ger Pierson to the mix-everybody bangs on about him playing well in a match against Meath a few years ago, there have been a fair few anonymous performances for the amount of chances he has had.

There are a nucleus of 14/15 players on the current panel who, with the right leadership, programmes etc, defintely have what it takes to be competitive in next years league. Dump the names/deadwood/passengers and start to give blokes like Dermot Sheridan, Johnny Crowe, Michael Cunningham etc. a real chance. what have we got to lose?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Handball Ace

I know what you're saying lads, my point is that we should be picking fellas who are standing out for their clubs, at every level (then we won't miss a Forde)...

I agree about Declan McKiernan too (saw him in Trench Cup final, he was brilliant), but he's obviously not nearly ready yet.

Like, if we're naming fellas for the future why stop at this year's minors, why not Under 16s?

Also, good point about Gaynor that he came from nowhere, ut it's not as if he came on and won an All Star or somehting, he played a few good games, that was it.

I'm not being critical of your effort BH Man, I'm saying that a lot of those names just have absolutelyt nothing ot offer at county level.

We have enough ordinary players on the county panel.

As Val Andrews once noted, there is a hell of a difference between a good 19 year old and a good 25 year old. I'm totally against throwing 18 year olds in to the senior panel. I think we should leave them with their clubs and let them develop.

In other words, pick the players who do the business with their clubs.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Handball Ace on August 17, 2007, 12:18:13 PM
I know what you're saying lads, my point is that we should be picking fellas who are standing out for their clubs, at every level (then we won't miss a Forde)...

I
In other words, pick the players who do the business with their clubs.

I think alot of the lads that BHman mentioned are doing the business with their clubs, someone of them might be a bit young but the older men with the right trainng and coaching might be fit to do a job.

descartes

QuoteSenior Clubs

Mullahoran- Ciaran Sheils, Mad Eddie

Cavan Gaels-Niall Collins,Sean Higgins,Paul O Donnell,Gavin Duffy,Pauric Smith

Ramor Utd-Peter Monaghan,Anton Reily

Crosserlough-Declan Gaffney,Declan McCabe

Castlerahan-John Clarke,Pauric Smith

Drumalee-Darragh Gaffney,Gary Fernacombe

Lacken-Terry Hyland and Raymond Galligan

Belturbet-Rory Donohoe

Kingscourt-Darragh Gunne,Alan Clarke,Joe McMahon,Ryan McCormack,Thomas Wakely

Cuchulains-Seamus Clarke

Killygarry-Eoin Smith,Pauric Cahill,Thomas Leonard

Denn-Thomas Corr(deserves a better shot than 10 minutes in a McKenna Cup game)

Terry Hyland? ...In fairness i don't think he's up to the standard. and Eoin Smith and Pauric Cahill had chances but were not up to it either.

alan clarke is definitely good enough, and were it not for his broken foot/leg this year i'd say he would have been on the scene.

Wakely and McCormack don't have the attitude for it, don't think McCormack is good enough anyway Ditto Peter Monaghan, shane cole his clubmate, now he had the talent but not the desire

Ciaran Shiels, reckon he deserves a shot alright, believe he was in before but only lasted a few weeks.

One very underrated player in my opinion is paul o'donnell, he has the potential to get through an  enormous amount of work, think this is important in the current game(  ::) duh einstein). that was one of the stand out things for me this year watching young martin reilly, work rate is a huge part of creating easily convertable scoring chances

cavan4ever

Descartes post who you think should be on panel ?

BallyhaiseMan

i dont mind criticism Handball ace :D

a very small percentage of those named would get on the panel no doubt,But we have to extend the net far and wide over the county,
That may mean trying out slots of players in McKenna Cup games games that wont make it,but sure its worth it in the chance we find some gems.

i named over 50 players there,if 5 of them made the breakthrough it would be a success

You had questions marks about the following...
Aaron Duignan, Thomas Brady, Sean Maguire, Fergal slowey, Gavin Duffy, Niall Collins, John McCabe, Terry Hyland, Raymond Galligan, Ryan McCormack, Thomas Leonard, Seamus Clarke or Padraig Cahill

Slowey and Duffy are definite countymen for me,both always outstanding for their clubs.Niall Collins gave a display of point taking against Gowna that i havent seen in Cavan Football for years.
Sean Maguire deserves one more shot to make it IMO.The Others are worth a trial at least,thats all i was thinking when i made the list.
Descartes

would disagree with you about Peter Monaghan,He has a world of talent,Power,Pace and a cultured left foot.

i probably shouldnt have named Declan McKiernan,as he was just a minor this year,and wouldnt be physically ready for senior for about 2 years.

KIDDO

Any result for Gowna , last night.

gortnaleck

Ballyhaise Man, What do you think about Sean Mc Cormick's left foot.Is he a prospect ?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: gortnaleck on August 18, 2007, 04:34:53 PM
Ballyhaise Man, What do you think about Sean Mc Cormick's left foot.Is he a prospect ?

Sean McCormack barring injury will probably be the full back on the county under 21's next year.
He is a great prospect in my opinion.