Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

I don't think Tierney can have too many complaints,got a lot of chances during the league and didn't shine. Maybe a full year with the Club might get  his confidence back for a recall.
Clarke didn't have his best year, and was dropped for the Westmeath, was solid in 2013, possibly a falling out there.
Givney got a knock on the ankle with Ballymun, but he wasn't playing well as it was. A break from Co football might get his focus back.

tommysmith

Tierney opted out himself AFAIK going travelling next summer.

mylestheslasher

So without Alan Clarke who will take the ctr half back jersey? Moynagh is young but a great ball player and a leader I'd like to see him given a go. McEnroe could do a job there and maybe Killian Clarke too. I think if Cavan are going to open up their game a but Clarkes lack of pace may have been shown up next year although I've a lot of time for him as a player and a captain. Tierney I'm not too worried about to be honest, he needs to go away and find his mojo. Givney will be the biggest loss, his form last year was poor and then we have all this messing with his transfer. Again, maybe a year out will settle him down a bit. Looking forward to the McKenna cup and more so to the league and stepping up to a higher level and playing some teams we haven't played in a while.

I also hear Barry Reilly is back in training, thats very good news. He could be a big player for us if he sticks at it.

rodney trotter

I think McEnroe would be better suited for Centre half. Moynagh is new to Senior County football and a step up from u21;s he is prone to picking up the odd black cards with both U21's and Juniors this year, so he will need to curb that for Senior Football. A very good ball player, maybe takes too much out of the ball at times. But he will learn from that. I would have him on the wing.

Clarke was captain for the past 2 years, and his experience  will be a loss to the panel. Would agree about him lacking pace.

Westside

Clarke for me is the biggest loss. Moynagh has loads of potential, for the first 15 minutes of that AI Semi Final last year he looked a class above the rest. But he is prone to making silly needless errors. And his injury record is far from encouraging when you're looking for a dependable No. 6.
Tierney didn't play a big enough part in the first team to consider him a big loss. As for Givney, a blessing in disguise that he's not committing this year if you ask me. Did anyone else hear that Tinnelly opted out?

I think Bud Fitzpatrick is back in the panel which is good to hear. Ciaran Brady has also excelled at U21 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him claim a place for the start of the league.

Itchy

Be sorry to see Tinnelly not in their. He's a perfect man to help  us to open up a bit more.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on November 29, 2014, 01:39:56 PM
Clarke for me is the biggest loss. Moynagh has loads of potential, for the first 15 minutes of that AI Semi Final last year he looked a class above the rest. But he is prone to making silly needless errors. And his injury record is far from encouraging when you're looking for a dependable No. 6.
Tierney didn't play a big enough part in the first team to consider him a big loss. As for Givney, a blessing in disguise that he's not committing this year if you ask me. Did anyone else hear that Tinnelly opted out?

I think Bud Fitzpatrick is back in the panel which is good to hear. Ciaran Brady has also excelled at U21 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him claim a place for the start of the league.

Givney was poor last year but surely a lad playing midfield for ulster and giving mom displays in sigerson has at least the potential to have a good year next year. Maybe a breaks what he needs but he still has a lot to give in my opinion.

Bud Fitz - Not up to this level I don't think. I'd get Tom Hayes into the senior panel. Enda Reilly is another one who should be in there. Paul O Connor is a strange one. Has moments of brilliance, looks a great player and then cant even make the Gaels team - does anyone know what the story is with him?

A list of Cavan forwards I'd like to see involved, please add to in case I've missed someone....

Keating, Dunne, Enda Reilly, Paul O Connor, Martin Reilly, Barry Reilly, Tom Hayes, Jack Brady, Cian Mackey, Niall McDermott, Enda Heslin.

rodney trotter

O Connor was making the Gaels team this year , but got injured against Lacken in the Quarter final and missed the rest of the championship. He was poor in some of the Cavan Junior games and was good in others , a bit inconsistent.
Tom Hayes in is on the panel

Bud Fitz is worth another look I think, he showed well enough in 2012 League in a few games when he did start,. .started against Donegal in the championship that year and was  unlucky with a chances hitting the cross bar and post. He can his win own and kick off either foot, a useful player to have on the panel.
His form wasn't bad with Belturbet , only came back from Australia in June was one their best players in Intermediate Championship.

Westside

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 30, 2014, 11:31:44 AM
Quote from: Westside on November 29, 2014, 01:39:56 PM

Givney was poor last year but surely a lad playing midfield for ulster and giving mom displays in sigerson has at least the potential to have a good year next year. Maybe a breaks what he needs but he still has a lot to give in my opinion.

Bud Fitz - Not up to this level I don't think. I'd get Tom Hayes into the senior panel. Enda Reilly is another one who should be in there. Paul O Connor is a strange one. Has moments of brilliance, looks a great player and then cant even make the Gaels team - does anyone know what the story is with him?

A list of Cavan forwards I'd like to see involved, please add to in case I've missed someone....

Keating, Dunne, Enda Reilly, Paul O Connor, Martin Reilly, Barry Reilly, Tom Hayes, Jack Brady, Cian Mackey, Niall McDermott, Enda Heslin.

We've been saying that about Givney since 2008/2008 though, and he's never pushed on. I'd expect to see him rejoin the panel later in the year but hopefully we'll have found a more consistent player in the mean time.

The glaring problem with those forwards is a lack of physicality. Apart from Keating and maybe McDermott there's no lads there that will bully an opposition full back line. I'd love to see how Tom Hayes fares at Senior level.

I see Dunne scored 1-2 for the All Stars in Boston.

Itchy

What about Joe Dillon, he'd add a bit of strength in there.

rodney trotter

He is injured and hasn't played in Months.

Itchy

I know he's injured but he won't be injured forever!

rodney trotter

Well not much point mentioning him, he won't be back for 3/4 months at the earliest , and would have to play Club football so no real chance of him playing County next year.

He could be lucky to even play Club next year. It's not some standard injury he got.

mylestheslasher

What about Ray Cullivan? Did he ever sort out his head? Has be burnt his bridges as county level. Bit of strength to him at least but I wouldnt have him in unless he demonstrated an improved attitude.

rodney trotter

Yeah his discipline is still poor enough, i saw him a few times this year and he wasn't bad but probaly not much of an improvement on whats already on the panel. He over did it with the gym work when he was 19/20, doesn't seem to be as mobile as he once was.