Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Crosmaglen and Gall's both knocked out of Ulster Senior Championship, still can't see the Gaels going anywhere though. It's depressing surely.. Especially today's results considering both teams were in commanding positions midway through the second half.

rodney trotter

Cootehill only got 6 scores, 1-5, so that wasn't going to win many games. Arva flattered to deceive too, a lot expected both teams to do well in Ulster, but Ulster is still a big step up from Club football in Cavan.

Gaels away next week in Derry. Slaughtneill will be hard bet up there, and full of confidence after the Co final win against the reigning champions Ballinderry.

mylestheslasher

Given that they barely beat Kingscourt despite having an extra man for the whole game I seriously doubt they will get any result in Derry.

big balla

There are too many clubs playing senior in Cavan, that is why we will always struggle in Ulster in Junior and Intermediate.The more clubs that are playing Senior, the weaker the Intermediate will be. Most sports have a number of divisions but the majority are playing in the lower levels with only the elite playing at the top, like a pyramid.Every well run sport operates more or less in this way, be it boxing, cycling, soccer, whatever.In Cavan we have nearly as many playing Senior as we have Junior and Intermediate combined! Its totally upside down. Are we expected to believe that there are more teams of Senior standard in Cavan than of Junior standard?

North Longford

There's a definite problem with this in Cavan. When junior clubs don't want to be seen to be in Div. 4 so Div 1b has to be created you can see what the mentality is. And now you regularly here lads in Div 1b teams just referring to being in Div 1....its not really you know. It seems important how your team is perceived as opposed to how good it actually is.

CC1

On the league structure:

There should be five divisions of eight teams in Cavan in my opinion. That is fourteen league games, home and away over the course of a season. With smaller divisions it gives the clubs more of an opportunity to play at their own level which would leave it far more competitive. Simple structure with one automatic promotion (first place) and promotion/relegation play off (i.e. second in Division 4 against second from bottom in Division 3, winner promoted/avoiding relegation).

Top two play in a final for the cup or to do away with finals altogether and crown the first placed team as champions.

On the championship structure:
I think the current intermediate structure is ideal, junior isn't bad either however I think there should be a few more teams at that level and senior should be limited to about 12 teams (at most) as its current structure is a joke in my opinion. 12 teams in senior, 14 in intermediate, and 14 in junior.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Denn Forever

Best luck to Cavan Gaels today.  They've had a good break since the county final and hopefully Canavan's experience will help.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Itchy

Good luck to the Gaels. But then you make your own luck in Cavan Gaels don't you.

Westside

Was at West Cavan Gaels v Assan Gaels last night. Dogged enough affair, West Cavan won but should have it closed out earlier. For West Cavan Niall Walsh was the stand out player, Fergal Donohoe Benjamin Kelly and Liam Galligan all played well.

Hope the Gaels can get a result today but from the way Dunne talked about the end of the year after the County Final and Johnston talking about this being "bonus territory" it doesn't seem like they believe it themselves.

mylestheslasher

I've always cheered on Cavans representative in Ulster but this year I am not too bothered to see them go out. That club needs to sort themselves out.

Westside

Johnston missed a 30 metre free to level the game in injury time?...

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on November 09, 2014, 02:14:41 PM
Was at West Cavan Gaels v Assan Gaels last night. Dogged enough affair, West Cavan won but should have it closed out earlier. For West Cavan Niall Walsh was the stand out player, Fergal Donohoe Benjamin Kelly and Liam Galligan all played well.

Hope the Gaels can get a result today but from the way Dunne talked about the end of the year after the County Final and Johnston talking about this being "bonus territory" it doesn't seem like they believe it themselves.

It must have been pretty dogged with 8 clubs involved among the 2 amalgamations.

West Cavan with 5 clubs is OTT.

Blue in hope

Travelled up  to Derry yesterday. Gaels left that game behind them. I wouldn't rate Canavan as a manager. Listing to people in the ground beforehand they all spoke of no Gaels midfield and if Slaughneil pushed up they would cause problems. It was not a surprise that this happened as it was clear to see all through the Cavan championship. What was shocking to see that when this happened the management did nothing about it until half time. They should have been a lot further behind at this stage only for poor shooting by Slaughneil.
They completable took over the second half and could easily have won it. They held their opponents to just 2 points in the second half the last one was the last kick of the game. The one before was very dodgy as the linesman came in and argued the ball had gone wide.
I don't believe at the end of the year that the manager knows his best starting 15 and that came back to haunt him yesterday.

rodney trotter

Bradley was dominant in midfield in the first half, Gaels might be a better footballing team but not the same physicalliyy as Slaughtneill. The Gaels had probaly a better football team then Glenswilly in 2011 as well, they had a few huge players like Gallagher and Murphy who the made the difference.

Need more then pace to win in Ulster Club.

Blue in hope

Bradley was dominant in midfield in the first half, Gaels might be a better footballing team but not the same physicalliyy as Slaughtneill. The Gaels had probaly a better football team then Glenswilly in 2011 as well, they had a few huge players like Gallagher and Murphy who the made the difference.

Need more then pace to win in Ulster Club.

Pace and running at them would have won yesterday. The sideline cost the match yesterday. The starting 15 and taking until half time to change what everyone knew all year was a wrong was incredible. How can the manager go on Sky as an top annalist and let what happened yesterday happen.???